Here is ramdomthought!

Off topic

Re: Here is ramdomthought!

Postby _Organism » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:51 pm

@UnwashedMolasses @YoungCanoeist hey I'm in college now and somewhat heavily considering switching my major to something where I think I might actually enjoy the work (I'm in engineering right now and it seems like a drag, to say the least). I'm heavily interested in working with the environment and was thinking you guys could maybe expand on what you do/what your major consists of? (also, what's this DBH tattoo idea?) tyvm sorry if this is a lot to ask!

_Organism

Postby BIGBEE » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:04 am

Spicy week

BIGBEE

Postby adiabatic » Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:24 am

Tap left/right to go back/forward between Stories.

Swipe up to view a Story.

Really, Snapchat? That’s like having left/right arrows on the left half of the keyboard and up/down arrows on the right half.

“clothing for attractive rich people in their 20s to go to weddings in” — Zack Johnson on Vineyard Vines
adiabatic

Postby BIGBEE » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:19 pm

BIGBEE wrote:Spicy week

Its over

BIGBEE

Postby Ques » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:48 pm

not sure whether trump administration means i should want to work for fed gov more or less. getting lots of very vocal opinions from both directions at the moment. would welcome thoughts if anyone has any.

Ques

Postby adiabatic » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:58 pm

I don’t think it should affect your preferences at all, and I don’t think it’d even matter depending on what chunk of the bureaucracy you’d want to get into. What does it matter to you what your boss’s boss’s boss’s boss’s boss thinks?

“clothing for attractive rich people in their 20s to go to weddings in” — Zack Johnson on Vineyard Vines
adiabatic

Postby chadnik » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:29 am

Hi @adiabatic, I have an off-topic question for you, if you don't mind. Is your avatar a drawing of a pair of jeans/trousers, or is it a stylized letter A? It only just occurred to me today, after logging onto C-T after a few months with fresh eyes, that it could be the latter.

chadnik

Postby adiabatic » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:36 am

Acronym SP12TS-CH in Petrol.

(No, I'm not a great artist.)

adiabatic

Postby CheerUpBrokeBoy » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:26 am

my class registration is 11am EST today which makes sense seeing as registering for classes feels like a supreme drop but with higher stakes

CheerUpBrokeBoy

Postby fun_yunchables » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:04 pm

/// ig /// me
fun_yunchables

Postby oucho » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:26 pm

has anyone ever designed brutalist cottages?

oucho

Location:          ⃝     ⃝              ⃝     ⃝              ⃝      ⃝            ⃝          ⃝    ⃝

Postby adiabatic » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:09 pm

There's got to be at least one architect out there who hates his mother-in-law that much while still feeling obligated to have a small house for her on his property.

adiabatic

Postby starfox64 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:22 pm

adiabatic wrote:I don’t think it should affect your preferences at all, and I don’t think it’d even matter depending on what chunk of the bureaucracy you’d want to get into. What does it matter to you what your boss’s boss’s boss’s boss’s boss thinks?

this is a pretty gross mischaracterization of work in any cabinet department, which i'm assuming is the general thrust of the concern. it's not like the CEO of a company where his political views are largely irrelevant; the president's policy decisions set the agenda for the entire executive branch. compare how DOJ will be run with jeff sessions as opposed to loretta lynch at the head.

that being said, the dean of my law school gave a really impassioned plea for people who were considering government work to stay the course because there need to be smart, decent people working there.

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."
starfox64

Postby adiabatic » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:55 pm

starfox64 wrote:
adiabatic wrote:I don’t think it should affect your preferences at all, and I don’t think it’d even matter depending on what chunk of the bureaucracy you’d want to get into. What does it matter to you what your boss’s boss’s boss’s boss’s boss thinks?

this is a pretty gross mischaracterization of work in any cabinet department

True, but Ques said "fed gov". There's a lot of federal government out there that isn't nearly so politicized (the DoJ, while not an outlier, is likely to have parts that are noticeably different under the Trump administration than it was under the Obama administration). The part of the USGS that monitors earthquakes? Probably unaffected.

On the other hand, if your willingness to work for the federal government is entirely dependent on who occupies the White House, I'd recommend steering clear of those posts; you should expect the presidency to switch parties several times before you retire, and you can't expect to like everyone who gets in.

edit: Ques

adiabatic

Postby adiabatic » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:05 pm

it's the beginning of the eat-loads-and-get-fat season and I'm already up to 200 pounds

this is gonna be rough

adiabatic

Postby freddy » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:28 pm

I'm like 90% certain that I will be on the way to moving into my apartment in a month or two. This will be the first time ever that I'll be living completely alone. :heck:

@Bryan I'm in Boston not NYC. I do want to eventually move to NYC. If I don't get good a poker, I'll probably focus fully on highly leveraged investing/trading to afford to independently live there. Options and futures or bust. Lol to be realistic I'd prob do roommates and do bitchwork IT if I could at SiG that values poker skillz

Last edited by freddy on Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
freddy

Postby freddy » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:49 pm

I am not hood enough to to be a hoodrat nor am I PC enough (if I do I feel like I have to put on a facade) to be anything else. What am I?

freddy

Postby adiabatic » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:02 pm

getting rid of my spinning-rust hard drive and putting in an SSD was one of the nicest things I did for myself this year

so happy 1 TB SSDs are remotely affordable now

adiabatic

Postby swampblood » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:26 pm

Was offered an internship w/ my current U.S. Senator, if I took it I'd be out of Olympia, Wa and starting in DC by Jan 15. Quite the opportunity and it sounds like it'd be a great entry point for getting into further political work.

Although I'm kinda worried about how demoralizing DC could be for the next for years. I'd be kinda nervous leaving, Olympia and my college has on the whole been really good to me for these past 5 years but it's still a pretty small quiet town, especially now with lots of my friends clearing out post graduation this summer.

Also realized I've just passed a year on C-T, I hope to keep posting more. Y'all seem like some cools cats :heck:

swampblood

Postby adiabatic » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:37 pm

@alby your .signature says you'll walk a mile for a camel, but would you be willing to walk a camel for a mile?

adiabatic

Postby alby » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:41 pm

aoty lists are taking the black friday trend and just happening earlier and earlier every yr

i'd walk a mile for a camel
alby

Postby fun_yunchables » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:18 pm

so uh is anyone on care-tags going to la art book fair?

/// ig /// me
fun_yunchables

Postby nevergreen » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:41 pm

MAPS has slowly but surely been pushing for medicinal MDMA and the FDA just approved clinical trials for it to be used as treatment for PTSD!!! This is so huge.

Oh wow and two studies (1, 2) were published today on how psilocybin can help cancer patients with chronic depression/anxiety, both using a double-blind, placebo trials. What a fuckin day for science!!

nevergreen

Postby rublev » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:11 pm

rublev
Political Editor

Postby oucho » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:46 am

oucho

Location:          ⃝     ⃝              ⃝     ⃝              ⃝      ⃝            ⃝          ⃝    ⃝

Postby adiabatic » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:03 pm

Ladies and gentlemen, start your Santa hats.

adiabatic

Postby evilfriends » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:55 pm

Earlier today I hit a parked car while backing out of a driveway. Just a really stupid mistake that could've been prevented by paying more attention.

The owner of the other car is probably gonna make a meal of it and get a couple hundred bucks from his insurance to get that little scratch fixed. My car's completely fine, but my insurance will still probably fine me some amount of money, my dad says I'm gonna have to pay like 60€ which is okay but still very annoying. Additionally, my bi-yearly insurance bill will skyrocket from this if I ever decide to own a car again in the future.

I'm just really bummed about it friends. :cry: Nothing bad happened and the other guy was very understanding but I still feel like shit because it was just so stupid from me.

evilfriends

Postby wolflarsen » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:01 am

@evilfriends I hear you. Been in similar situations and I have the same tendencies to ruminate over it. Forgive yourself and let it go. Because the incident is over and all that remains is the paperwork, there's no sense in playing it over in your head and continuing to beat yourself up. And until the insurance stuff is settled, stay away from that rabbit hole of possible outcomes - that never ends well.

wolflarsen

Postby UnwashedMolasses » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:25 pm

_Organism wrote:@UnwashedMolasses @YoungCanoeist hey I'm in college now and somewhat heavily considering switching my major to something where I think I might actually enjoy the work (I'm in engineering right now and it seems like a drag, to say the least). I'm heavily interested in working with the environment and was thinking you guys could maybe expand on what you do/what your major consists of? (also, what's this DBH tattoo idea?) tyvm sorry if this is a lot to ask!

@_Organism sorry it took so long to reply!

This was my job site a few days ago after a bad storm swept through Atlanta.

Six pine trees fell on the guys house. You can't see the backyard, where one fully separated his porch from the back of his house and one smashed into his pool. We'll be heading back with a crane to remove that.

This is what it looked like at the end of the day:

And this is some of the wood after we got it off the house and yard:

My degree is a Bachelor's of Science in Forestry and a lot of my education was focused towards production forestry, which involves the management of full stands of forest for whatever goals the client has. Usually those goals are profit based on selling the wood to mills but depending on where you work you can do more with conservation, restoring a more natural forest, optimizing species composition for the promotion of wildlife, all kinds of different stuff.

My job is a little different. I work in arboriculture/urban forestry, so it's less like growing crops and more like performing surgery. Sometimes it's climbing into a tree and cleaning out all of its deadwood, correcting its form, and pruning it to promote advantageous growth. Sometimes it's like it is in the pictures, where a property's been damaged by trees falling during a storm and our job is to haul huge amounts of wood without doing any more damage.

This industry and forestry in general tends to be a boy's club, at least where I am in the south. It's technically skilled manual labor, so you run into the kind of people who are attracted to working hard outside every day. That's one of the huge benefits, by the way - I drive all over Atlanta and get to see the city up close working outside. The production side of forestry's got a bit less of that.

Production forestry will be good for you if you enjoy a lot of biology and a lot of statistics. There's massive amounts of math and planning involved. What is the optimal spacing between tree plantings if you want to promote growth with minimal lateral branching and minimal dieback? When should you thin (remove the underperforming trees)? When do you fertilize? The answers are different based on soil composition, water chemistry and availability, climate, tree species, etc. Statistics are used to simulate growth and optimize returns.

What I do, arboriculture, is better if you like working with your hands. Every day is problem solving. There's a dead branch hanging over the client's roof that'll cause a lot of property damage if it falls. How do you bring it down safely? Equipment plays a huge role. I work every day with a hard hat, safety glasses, and two pairs of gloves. Rubber for handling wood and leather for handling ropes (rope moves fast when it's supporting 200 pounds of wood and the friction it produces will melt through the rubber quick). You learn a lot about ropes, about knots, about carabiners, about chainsaws, about heavy machinery, and mostly about trees. It requires a lot of energy and strength as you're hustling wood around all day. And if you like a challenge and you're not afraid of heights climbing is its own beast. Set your climbing line, use a series of knots and carabiners to attach it to your saddle, and climb up and in. It's dangerous work, so if you're not good with that you won't enjoy it. Your handsaw will go right through that limb and into your leg, and some of the chemicals the blade's been treated with prevent clotting. Chainsaws will kill you. Chippers will REALLY kill you. Falling wood will kill you. Incorrectly tying the knot that attaches your climbing line to your saddle will kill you. Equipment and training go a very long way in making the work safe but it's inherently not safe work. It's so damn fun though,

Sorry for the long answer and for clogging the thread. Hopefully this gives you some impression of the work and of the field. I discovered forestry because I had tried business, advertising, marketing, and journalism, and I had to accept that working at a desk wasn't going to fly. If that's the same dilemma you're having I'd definitely recommend checking it out.

As far as the DBH tattoo: Diameter at Breast Height is a way of standardizing measurement in forestry (diameter at 4.5 feet off the ground). The tattoo idea YoungCanoeist had was to get a horizontal line at 4.5 feet up the body. I use DBH less now that I don't work in production but I may still get it as a reminder of my college days.

Also, in the photos above? The guy who had six pine trees fall on his house? He had a tree twice as big, dead as hell, stay standing.

UnwashedMolasses

Postby rublev » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:31 pm

rublev
Political Editor

PreviousNext

Return to Care