Post by brücke »

what if i shaved half my eyebrows off
ParallaxisRemix

Re: Ramdom fashion thoughts

Post by ParallaxisRemix »

cthelll

Post by cthelll »

A few years ago there was a uniqlo U button up made from oxford cloth and had hidden button down collars. great shirt, could be dressed up a little more easily than normal ocbd but still v casual on it's own. My last one has finally bit the dust, does anyone have a recommendation for a similar shirt sub $150?
ParallaxisRemix

Post by ParallaxisRemix »

Jun Takahashi has a residency on NTS?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CyD2tWIox5S ... 258f7082ed
foxtail_grass
First Prestige
First Prestige

Post by foxtail_grass »

Starting a new job Wednesday, and that means I’ll be trying hard fashion wise. Clothing as armor and all that. Fit pics likely incoming
skunk ape
First Prestige
First Prestige

Post by skunk ape »

Another pair of jeans goes onto the "To Repair" pile.

Put this in your signature if you like to post with friends: https://i.imgur.com/GUPLGPw.png

bels
First Prestige
First Prestige

Post by bels »

Have you heard of sashiko, the japanese art of visible mending?
bels
First Prestige
First Prestige

Post by bels »

Honestly the second hand shops in japan were decent but for me the bargs paled compared to the might of ebay.
Calm-Lychee4112

Post by Calm-Lychee4112 »

People who add “Oi Polloi” to the title of their eBay listings now often seem to include “Liam Gallagher” as key words… this is kinda annoying and imho makes the clothes seem worse than they really are… (sorry to any Oasis fans)
thewisdomoftime

Post by thewisdomoftime »

Why did no-cop culture so easily defeat I should just charge it culture? (both were invented on care-tags.)
'I feel like I'm a messenger .. sent here by someone .. my mom, probably.'
thewisdomoftime

I'm thinking of buying a new smartphone, I got mine around Jan/Feb in 2019, there's something really nagging me about how amazing all the phone cameras have gotten and how short the lifespan of update support some of these phones get. I just watched a billion videos of phone reviews and camera comparisons and so on, and I think I'm circling the drain on whatever one I want to get, and I'm seeing some of these phones are only intended to receive 3 years of software updates and 5 years of security updates -- that just feels obscene to me, the way I'm supposed to move on, or things are supposed to get much better than this.

Wish I could convey the feeling better.
I'm just thinking about all these 50megapixel sensor-matched lenses with optical zoom and how that's supposed to only last me from age 26 to 28.
I think I'll be mostly the same way, at 28, in the same period of my life. Will I need something better than this?
Its main camera shoots 8k video at 24fps. Why didn't they wait to make these phones until it could make 8k video at 60fps? Or, maybe, we could've all agreed that 4k@60fps, or 120fps, is very good and lifelike? I don't know. I know 4k=/=4k, it's the color dynamics, and how the software chooses to masticate the raw colors it takes in, which direction it takes from there. I have a big computer monitor that I'm staring at, as I type this, and I've watched 4k video at 60fps on it, that felt a lot like life.

I know repairability and upgradeability are, like, the wisdom concept in personal computer building and laptop buying; so, I guess the only thing that's spooking me is just how tracked these phones are for obsolescence, and the absence of a way of darning or mending them?
funyuns

Post by funyuns »

obsolescence is no competition for misplaced nostalgia in 10 years it’ll be obsolete in 20 it will be in high demand in 30 it will be a classic
thewisdomoftime

I was watching a few yt videos yesterday about tech cycles and smartphones in particular. I don't really pay attention to the consumer electronics space outside of like, wanting to make a really informed purchase, because it always just struck me as a really dangerous "subculture" to accept as subculture similarly to fashion. I think that's why I'm putting this stuff in fashion thoughts.

It's cool to see that smartphone sales continue to decrease end on end. I wonder whether consumer studies lean more towards the conclusion that the smart-phone product is reaching maturity. I listened to someone basically suggest that we're very near the point where these phones will be bought for life. The two big reasons people cite for buying a newer phone are battery and cameras; the EU has already passed the requirement for replaceable batteries by 2027, strong-arming the hardware companies to make DIY battery replacement trivial, and it's a refrain that phone camera hardware has become less meaningful for the point-and-shoot consumer than the software's ability to treat the RAW file.

I don't think any of this is too shocking, planned obsolescence is the kind of market-dominant company cruelty that seems like an obvious target, to me, for a state organization to resolve. I guess I'm just glad anything at all positive happened that (1.) can impact the climate death spiral positively and (2.) isn't to the obvious benefit of FAANG (or, I'm seeing "MAAMA?" (or, I'm seeing "The Magnificent Seven"?)).
thewisdomoftime

The EU should strongarm jeans manufacturers into using replaceable crotch panels. and white dress shirt manufacturers should include vinegar with the initial purchase to remove pit stains
Julio
First Prestige
First Prestige

Post by Julio »

this year's started with a thrifted pair of j-leg raw denims from a random brand called twistedmind (what a name). at best the name was vaguely familiar, but the overall build quality, detailing, and hardware had me feeling like there was probably more to them. found myself down a rabbithole that's revealed they're a defunct hong kong brand under the bauhaus retail umbrella.

jeans are great. the front pocket shapes (welted ticket pocket in particular) plus the angled thigh darts that are in line with darts on the back pockets are definitely ripped from kazuyuki kumagai/attachment. + darts on the knees and lower calves further the inseam curve. also, no outseams—just long darts. sometimes these artifacts/oddities are the most exciting thing about clothes to me at this point.

i'm thinking i'll come back with photos and a little more nerding out once they've dried from the hand wash (confirmed raw denim).
Julio
First Prestige
First Prestige

Post by Julio »

update:

they are indeed an attachment rip, of this pattern to be exact.

maybe minute differences in grading/tailoring and some changes to seams and details, legs of my pair possibly a little more curved? biggest difference at a glance is that the knee tucks are inside out on mine, so it's darts on the outside instead.

fitpics below
Spoiler:
these will see a lot of use, curious to see how they fade
always nice to thrift something fun like this
thewisdomoftime

This morning as I was lacing my Alden Indy Boots™ I remembered how if I'm too tough on the laces they'll tear like they have before. And then I remembered that I still haven't bought new laces for my Alden Norwegian Split-toe Boots which tore because, a while ago, I was too tough on the laces and they tore. And then the laces on my Alden Indy Boots™ tore because I was being too tough on them. So now I just have two pairs of boots by American legacy bootmaker Alden with torn laces