THEORY of fitpics

clothes
skunk ape
First Prestige
First Prestige

Re: THEORY of fitpics

Post by skunk ape »

I like brand lists when the person looks cool because I want to bite their style. If you put a brand list under your pic but you look like shit then everyone knows you're trying to juice your numbers because you otherwise have an inferior product, and that makes it worse.

Put this in your signature if you like to post with friends: https://i.imgur.com/GUPLGPw.png

maj
First Prestige
First Prestige

Post by maj »

This is a false narrative

Years of work has gone into brand synergy and the degrees of separation. it’s typical of those without a firm sense of their selves to relay anything and everything to do with outfit critique and construction at the feet of “consumerism”, and I see this as sad, a failure of one to engage with fashion, and instead only see clothing as a commodity.

If brands and the collections they come come from we’re not to matter, if their styling and cultural baggage being attached to an item was worthless, then why is one buying the clothing? Simply place h+m on your body and leave the house, why take the photo?

For some this may be simply consumerist, for others, enlightened, well read and well dressed individuals, the brand and by extension, the collection or era is just as important. For what they love is not the purchase of an item for outward approval, but the construction of an outfit which tells a story within a universe the designer aims to create, and when doing this successfully it should be congratulated.

I think it’s reactionary and dull, to only see brands as signalling of wealth or purchase, to see status, and not of a flag to other connoisseurs who may seek out the story behind a certain piece or wonder where they can get a unique and interesting piece from a designer they love
thank you for the honour of being first to 100 reps (NoWAWT%), would like to thank everyone who repped me
CMYK

Post by CMYK »

only good brand list flex is "thrift, thrift, handmade, (nike/doc marten)"
ramdomthought

Post by ramdomthought »

brands in things are fine and just as affected as textures or colors which are also fine

what is essential is the name of a pet in the photo and details about how good the pet is
Warning you with ✌ and love

Nothing will be signed after the 20th of October!
wiggly-woo

Post by wiggly-woo »

or if you don't have a pet just find the opportune moment to include a wild animal in the background and introduce your fit with a relevant pun

this is a very new addition to the existing range of fit pic genres, so I would advise buying your shares with caution for now as their value in the fit pic economy could yet fluctuate
miles

Post by miles »

The colors in my most recent pic were a conceptual tie in to the text in the photo (Green Miles). Otherwise I would say it's a bit twee.

Who will be the first to mint a Fitpic NFT?

Tagging the brand on social media is the worst imo. Pure validation energy, unless you are getting paid to do so.

I think there's a place to discuss brands or specific items of clothing in depth, but I don't think that needs to happen in the fit pic arena. There's a difference between an OUTFIT and a LOOK/COSTUME. 90's Japanese streetwear is a LOOK, not an OUTFIT, therefore the brands matter. You are essentially making your own DIY editorial. That is fine and fun, but a different image than the pure WAYWT.
frannyglass

Post by frannyglass »

you've all forgotten a crucial factor in the origin of including brand list in fit pics—not wanting to respond to 15 rep comments saying "oh shit wavy vro!! id on that jak?"
i'm svvagged out.. based.
skunk ape
First Prestige
First Prestige

Post by skunk ape »

It's important to ignore those posters. You're only allowed to swaggerjack if you a) know or b) are already cool with the people asking. To do otherwise is dilute The Personal Brand.

Put this in your signature if you like to post with friends: https://i.imgur.com/GUPLGPw.png

walks

Post by walks »

frannyglass wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:32 pm you've all forgotten a crucial factor in the origin of including brand list in fit pics—not wanting to respond to 15 rep comments saying "oh shit wavy vro!! id on that jak?"
I think asking ID questions is cute and good though. Like why post on a fashion forum if you don't want to interact with other ppl. Information is so streamlined that sometimes snags are nice.
E.T.

Post by E.T. »

The only interaction I want is the sweet sweet rep
frannyglass

Post by frannyglass »

walks wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:50 pm
I think asking ID questions is cute and good though. Like why post on a fashion forum if you don't want to interact with other ppl. Information is so streamlined that sometimes snags are nice.
i need to be compensated for that kind of labor
frannyglass

Post by frannyglass »

i love a fit pic where the poster is really hot
foxtail_grass
First Prestige
First Prestige

Post by foxtail_grass »

Full agree with wiggly about brand listing- the only info that I'm interested in is if there is a specific story about the piece, or unique feature that is missing from the photo. Ex. "This shirt was my grandpa's" or "The jacket has three GiAnT BuTT fLApS in the back"
bels
First Prestige
First Prestige

Post by bels »

When you don't post the brands ppl 100% of the time assume the brands are more expensive than they are, so there's a humble modesty to listing the brands.

Also I feel like people used to always ask what brand things were, because they were looking for the Perfect Blue OCBD and thought you had similar frames. People never seem to care anymore.
bels
First Prestige
First Prestige

Post by bels »

I think that listing the brands can be Part Of The Conversation.

Two identical oufits but one is

"VISVIM VISVM VISVM (VISVIM SOCKS NO VIS)"

And the other is "Thrift, my mom's wedding dress, rick owens" are saying very different things.
soj

Post by soj »

on bigger forums where you don't know most of the users the brand list can be used to decide whether to click on the imgur link or not (with heads usually getting a click regardless).

what is considered a good brand list vs a bad brand list is a controversial topic, of course.
lionfir44
Location: closer to hell, michigan than probably anyone else here

Post by lionfir44 »

2015: spend 20 minutes trying to get the best location, angle, lighting, and everything else and then take the pic
2021: spend 3 minutes propping your camera up on a chair outside with a self-timer, and then the remaining 17 on photoshop making the picture look really cool and further your aesthetic with very minimal effort and technical prowess
example:
Spoiler:
this is gonna be huge guys trust me