bags

clothes
Julio
First Prestige
First Prestige

bags

Post by Julio »

do they still matter to you in this day and age, or are you always WFH and thus never in need of one?

what do you use if the former, what do you like about it, do you have several bags in rotation/depending on your needs, do you want any new ones (l o l)?

right now i'm using this ciaopanic sand nylon daypack (whatever sand nylon is), gifted to me by a friend
which is mostly perfect for what i need, lots of compartments + organization and the sand nylon is v nice.
pandemic is being handled terribly in the philippines so whenever i step out i pack enough for two days just in case i need to sleep in someone else's house (like, if curfew might catch me); usually my girlfriend's. it's good for that kind of use although a part of me wishes i had a slightly smaller pack (say a mystery ranch urban assault or front) to keep myself from overpacking (???).
(i also have a visvim ballistic 20L but i'm looking to let go of it, just not what i want out of a backpack anymore i think)
rjbman
Site Admin

Re: bags

Post by rjbman »

i use my 8th grade backpack (lol) as a grocery accessory during covid b/c it's just a big open pouch . between that & my [redacted] basket I can usually fit a weeks worth of groceries.

old pic, it's a bit more beat up these days but still kickin it. and ya i've been runnin "rjbman" since middle school
~*~ cut my life into pieces, this is my last resort ~*~
maj
First Prestige
First Prestige

Post by maj »

retiring off these two
thank you for the honour of being first to 100 reps (NoWAWT%), would like to thank everyone who repped me
titkitten

Post by titkitten »

all my bags:
Spoiler:
  • the sandqvist alice, the newest one, which i bought around this time last year for the job market and being a ~~professional -- i wanted a briefcase-esque bag that wasn't obviously made for men. do you know how difficult it is to find a professional bag for women that isn't a purse or a tote??? i watched hours of "work" bag reviews on youtube and everyone seemed to carry some designer handbag or leather tote to work. briefcases are mostly designed for men -- square, boxy, a small handle -- that i thought would look even less professional because it would give off the air of a small girl trying her mother's high heels. eventually i found this bag which is perfect. briefcase-y but feminine -- the longer straps and the rounded shape really help make me feel like it belongs on my body.
  • a mansur gavriel small crossbody my mom bought for me a few years ago. i wear it when i am going to something a bit more formal or just want a purse for the day. it fits my notebook and has a very satisfying magnetic closure. the colour is wonderful!! so warm.
  • my backpack, the duluth rolltop scout, which was basically the bag i used every day for the past years as a student. i think i bought it in 2014 and even made a purchase post on the old ct. i love its flexibility -- with the top rolled all the way down it's rather small but it can unroll to fit a whole week of groceries. it's also sturdy and i've enjoyed its evolution over time -- the leather has softened a lot and the canvas has faded pleasingly. the bottom has a bunch of holes at this point, so some patching or mending may be necessary soon.
  • a fanny pack i bought from american apparel in the early 2010s for going to clubs, raves, and parties, which i now basically wear slung when i want to carry a minimal amount of stuff.
  • a canvas tote my friend gave me when we went to the farmer's market but i didn't have a bag. truthfully the only bag i have really used (besides the fanny pack) in the last few months, as there are no recent occasions for professional dress or purses. i love this tote in particular because it's pretty thin and lightweight -- most totes i've encountered are made of much thicker canvas. the thin fabric has its downsides of course -- i ripped and had to mend the bag last week, though i don't think you can see it in the photo.
dislikes: the bachelor
CMYK

Post by CMYK »

about to embarrass myself

Running Vests:
Spoiler:
salomon s lab, nathan, inov8 (currently being modded), salomon, grivel, homemade
Backpacks:
Spoiler:
no name hiking pack, topo kletterworks, TNF duffel w/ shoulder straps, mission workshop messenger, cilogear BC ski bag, pa'lante, patagonia, osprey, topo
Waist Packs:
Spoiler:
nathan belt, buckhorn bags (local company), lowe alpine, arcteryx, LOT
Totes:
Spoiler:
some book store in MA, tibetian nunnery, online ceramics, my buddy, homemade, my buddy
Not included are a smattering of single purpose bags (ski carry, bikepacking etc.)
titkitten

Post by titkitten »

CMYK wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:19 pm about to embarrass myself

impressive stuff
do each of your running vests serve a different purpose

forgive me as i am uneducated about running vests
dislikes: the bachelor
CMYK

Post by CMYK »

Regarding running vests - this is somewhat of an obsession of mine, and I like to try different brands/features/solutions to the same problems. They are all somewhat specialized though, in the order of smallest to largest:

salomon s lab - newest addition, found super cheap at an REI garage sale. Wanted to try a super lightweight "bottle only vest" where the back won't support the weight of a water bladder. I think I would really like this style, especially for supported races, but the vest is a touch too big and bounces too much, especially on downhills. May modify it to fit better or just pass it on to a friend

nathan - stretchy but minimal back, can hold a 2L bladder (but is better with a 1 or 1.5L). Both my oldest and most used vest, probably partially due to familiarity.

inov8 (currently being modded) - a bit more space in back, non stretchy fabric provides more structure for heavier loads. Ideal if you're going to have a larger water bladder + heavier gear (microspikes, emergency overnight kit, etc). Putting water bottle pockets on the front rn because i've found the smaller pockets not really useful, and counterbalancing the back with more weight in the front will be more comfortable.

salomon - Really great pack, probably slightly larger than the inov8 (inov8 prob about 10L, this claims 12 but prob can fit 15 cause of stretch) but made of stretchy material, so not ideal for heavier loads. Good if you're carrying clothing, but not if you're carrying hardgoods

grivel - bomber. probably my favorite from an aesthetic standpoint. probably carries the same volume as the salomon, but in a more structured fabric that doesn't bounce at all when running. Great ajustment system as well, very easy to get a secure fit. Only downside is weight.

homemade - made this specifically for a route around here where the main complication is a long time spent on a ridgeline with little access to water. Can carry a bit more than 4L of water total comfortably, and weighs a little less than the grivel, at the cost of a few "nice to have" features.

I'll also note that for a fastpacking overnighter I'll use the pa'lante from the backpacks section, but pack/treat it a lot like a running vest.

100% suggest running vests over lumbar packs, especially for anything at a reasonable intensity. I find them much more comfortable, especially when running downhill, and depending how you pack/what you bring everything can be super accessable.
rubymtn

Post by rubymtn »

Fuck it I'm getting a mystery ranch I don't care how militaristic they look.
Mojave
Julio
First Prestige
First Prestige

Post by Julio »

this stussy backpack that is a blatant arcteryx arro 22 "reference" is quite cute tbh

the white one is superior

seems to be totally sold out, go figure
Trench Witch

Post by Trench Witch »

my bag.

karrimor jura 20. served me well and the color is great. always get a lot of compliments on it. I would like the larger backpack in this color eventually
I will never put my sword down
Trench Witch

Post by Trench Witch »

wtaps x porter delta
I just got one of these bags again. I had a black one but had to sell it due to being poor.
Truly one of the greatest collaborations of all time and I am really glad to have one again even though I'm not sure about the green color. I think it will grow on me.
Trench Witch

Post by Trench Witch »

Looking to get a shoulder strap for the bag above if anyone has any reccomendations for cool ones.
bels
First Prestige
First Prestige

Post by bels »

Been using this nondescript and extremely lightweight crumpler bag that was given away free.

I like that when it's empty it's like it isn't there.
lets.kill.david

Post by lets.kill.david »

surprising no ones mentioned the telfar. I have this one + a mini and they are so cute. medium fit my laptop perfectly and the small is the perfect party bag
foxtail_grass
First Prestige
First Prestige

Post by foxtail_grass »

Pretty stoked about this nylon bag I picked up for $4. It's like new, with detachable shoulder strap and matching mini wallet. Water repellent. But my favorite part is a bisected interior- one side is large enough to fit my water bottle!

thewisdomoftime

Post by thewisdomoftime »

Seeking recommendations for a dream bag:
a backpack with (1.) good straps, (2.) medium volume [WAY more than a tote, less than the weekender gym bags people bizarrely sometimes use], (3.) a mesh compartment for my swim suit among other swim stuff, (4.) a non-mesh compartment for books, work papers, and miscellany

I think the normal market answer would be get a big fat TYR or speedo bag like all yearround and college swimmers have. I gave mine up a long time ago. The main problems with that idea are (1.) form factor: those sit droopy and round and away from the body like a great backpack, and (2.) I didn’t swim for a college so I don’t have a proudly embroidered college logo. I don’t really know why swimmers are able to love those bags, they actually get smelly from your personal towel and your suit, that’s what I’m trying to escape, my big rectangular REI bag I’ve been using for gym & swim is doing its best but has a wet suit in it for easily 1hr per day average
'I feel like I'm a messenger .. sent here by someone .. my mom, probably.'
Julio
First Prestige
First Prestige

Post by Julio »

thewisdomoftime wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 4:14 am Seeking recommendations for a dream bag: [...]
the topo designs river bag seems to check some of those things, but not everything altogether? i will get back to you if i find anything else