Re: i don’t wanna have sex i wanna do chemical peels

Post by rjbman »

whynotboth.jpg
~*~ cut my life into pieces, this is my last resort ~*~
p3rn

Post by p3rn »

biologique reserche p50w
I tried the regular and it gave me contact dermatitis.

I've been using this for over 5 years and it's worth the hype. my skin definitely looks duller when I've run out. I genuinely don't think I've gained any wrinkles since I started using it.

I also really ride for embryolisse lait. it's just the perfect everyday moisturiser.
pips

Post by pips »

I use mostly asian brands (hada labo, rohto, benton) for serums and actives.

Cetaphil is a classic for a reason.

At night i use 0.05% tret. Honestly, tret does most of the heavy lifting in my routine and i only do some steps out of habit.

I'm undecided if eye cream is a scam or not. Currently using one from biossance for a few months and i'm not sure if it actually does anything.
Trench Witch

Post by Trench Witch »

I use cerave combo sunscreen moisturizer in the morning and a different one for night time. I have some face wash from Walgreens I hate .
I will never put my sword down
frannyglass

Post by frannyglass »

most of my skincare routine is pretty basic/uninteresting—cerave face wash and moisturizer, the ordinary niacinamide and retinoid 2%, clean and clear benzoyl peroxide gel, but it's all working pretty well for me and improved my skin a lot so i have no strong desire to change anything atm. just ordered a biore sunscreen for the summer i'm excited to try out.
Spoiler:
i relatively recently got into wet shaving/safety razors because it seemed widely agreed upon to be good for your skin, and i always had a pretty bad time with cartridge razors. much to my frustration, however, i pretty quickly discovered that there's very little information out there about integrating shaving into a skincare routine. i guess this is a result of skincare being still largely being viewed as very "feminine", and shaving being very "masculine."

most of the recommended shaving soaps for men are tallow based and heavily fragranced (both pretty bad if you have sensitive skin) and pretty much all aftershave is alcohol based or has witch hazel (not great). not really sure about alum blocks, the other widely recced product for preventing razor burn and infections. (note: aftershave balms seem to be a thing, dunno much about them)

giving up on wet shaving didn't seem like it would be better though, as canned shaving cream and multiblade razors absolutely don't agree with me (lots of razor burn, raw skin, and ingrown hairs).

after a fair bit of research, my routine i've scraped together is to use a nice, unscented, vegan shaving soap (the one i use is southern witchcrafts incorporeal), and after shaving i use my normal face wash and moisturize. this works pretty well for me and is simple enough, but it was a surprisingly long journey to get there.

curious what other people's experiences with dealing with facial hair and skincare have been like—am i an anomaly, with my combination of coarse hair and sensitive skin? have i been going completely the wrong route with this? (i see electric razors talked about sometimes on skincare forums, but the good ones seem expensive and i haven't really tried them)

i hope that this is something that gets a bit more discussion as skincare for men becomes more widely normalized (not even gonna get into the whole "skincare product MANLY EDITION") because it doesn't seem like i'm the only one out there who's struggled in this area.
Last edited by frannyglass on Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
i'm svvagged out.. based.
skunk ape
First Prestige
First Prestige

Post by skunk ape »

I'm a minimalist about my shaving routine and do it as infrequently as possible without growing a real beard, and I have gone into the safety razor and brush method because it seems to me the least obnoxious method. I am also blessed to have relatively unproblematic skin, so my experience may not translate to yours.

I use a rockwell 6c and think their stock blades are fine, but I've been working through a sample pack from like, razor emporium or one of those places. I don't shave often enough to have developed opinions, but I have found differences between blades. Gilette, for instance, was ok, and a russian one everyone likes is not good.

For soap, I used a tube of Kiss My Face which I loved, Proraso which I hated and gave away before I finished it even though it has consensus great reviews, and I currently am working through astick of Arko which is some Turkish thing that vaguely smells like one of those row stores in China that sells household items like pans and brushes and other sundries. It works, it's cheap, it lasts forever, and I don't have complaints, which is really what I'm looking for in my shaving experience and I would recommend it for someone who just wants something that does the job. At least you won't be out a lot of money if it fails. Read reviews, I think it has a pretty split opinion - if you moisturize after, it looks like that will mitigate the negatives.
Last edited by skunk ape on Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Put this in your signature if you like to post with friends: https://i.imgur.com/GUPLGPw.png

Trench Witch

Post by Trench Witch »

I think the next step I need to add to my routine is not touching my face.
I will never put my sword down
silvaeri

Post by silvaeri »

i gave up and got an electric face shaver recently and by god my lazy ass loves it. i use that and some basic salyic acid face wash and a few things of like toner and a serum afterwards. smooth brain for face care
deadkitty

Post by deadkitty »

frannyglass wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:35 pm curious what other people's experiences with dealing with facial hair and skincare have been like—am i an anomaly, with my combination of coarse hair and sensitive skin? have i been going completely the wrong route with this? (i see electric razors talked about sometimes on skincare forums, but the good ones seem expensive and i haven't really tried them)
I used to get really bad razor burn before I started zapping all my facial hair away. My #1 tip is to exfoliate exfoliate exfoliate bc the biggest problem when shaving is dead skin clogging everything up. I had p good success with glossier solution but I think any AHA/BHA combo would work the same. I'm not sure if acids play well with retinol or niacinamide though. Physical exfoliation is super important too. Maybe 2-3x week and if your skin is sensitive just concentrate on the beard area. I like using the Bliss microdermabrasion scrub from target for that. also don't use aftershave, just wash your face with cold water and a gentle cleanser when you're done.

also electric shavers are great!! even cheap ones (just make sure u change the blades regularly). good way to get the hairs shorter so you only have to do one pass for a close shave. you can definitely get away with not using a razor every day if you have an electric shaver too, which helps your skin heal in between close shaves.
deadkitty

Post by deadkitty »

also here is my routine I guess:

am
cetaphil
the ordinary marine hyaluronics
the ordinary buffet
embryolisse
shisedo urban environment oil-free

pm
cetaphil
glossier solution
the ordinary vit c suspension
embryolisse

and I do the blood red ordinary mask once or twice a week

I kind of want to try p50... I really like the idea of having to go to a bougie Beverly Hills salon to buy my skincare
seesaw

Post by seesaw »

i have the handsoap with the fish on it and i rub that in my hands until its foamy and then i rub the foam on my face and rinse. I do this once per day generally before bed
titkitten

Post by titkitten »

the current lineup
Spoiler:
honestly i'm not too fussy about the specific skincare products i use -- i actually just buy from r/asianbeautyexchange because i feel bad about cosmetic product waste, so usually i use a new product every time i run out. the steps stay the same though and i tend to look for the same key ingredients. general goal is to get as much hydration as i can for as little effort as possible...im just a thirsty person, my skin being no exception.
  • kose speedy cleansing oil -- love a good oil cleanse; i am actually currently just using my own mixture of avocado oil and polysorbate 80, which works perfectly well, but it's about to run out and my friend gave me this refill packet; i've used this exact cleansing oil in the past and it's great too
  • the missha fte (decanted into a spray bottle) -- truly the one constant in my routine, for some reason it really helps my skin retain the moisture i put on it subsequently; also so refreshing to spritz on the face from a purely experiential standpoint
  • purito centella asiatica serum -- don't have an attachment to any particular serum, but i like to look for stuff with centella asiatica
  • cosrx night cream -- either one of the ceramide or bha overnight masks; both are great and i usually try to find a cosrx night mask if i can for my last step; i've used the rice one in the past, which is also fine but thinner than the two i currently have
  • aquaphor -- to seal it all in, only for if i'm really dry
  • shiseido senka suncren -- my favourite sunscreen!!!
bonuses: the jade roller that hannahcore got me for christmas!!! i LOVE it for rolling on my serum, applies evenly and prevents waste from absoption into fingers; illi body moisturiser -- a cult favourite a few years ago but tbh i hate it and prefer just using cerave

any questions/comments feel free to ask
dislikes: the bachelor
bels
First Prestige
First Prestige

Post by bels »

I also found it quite hard to integrate a face shaving and skincare regime. In the end I started using a shaving oil which worked ok and did my regime afterwards, but now I use an electric razor set to stubble length.

Might get back on clean shaving this summer.

Other than that I use muji for the stuff that seems unimportant (wash, tone, lightweight "milk moisturiser" for with sun block) and Paula's choice for stuff that seems like it would matter chemically (exfoliate, sunblock, night time moisturiser)

Planning to add some the ordinary retinol at some point.
seesaw

Post by seesaw »

shaving routine is to scrape my face for ~15 mins with a searing hot and extremely dull bic safety razor and to then slather my face with lotion. the mixture of blood and lotion does end up looking a bit horrific and watching me shave my face is NOT for those with faint hearts or weak stomachs.
yljt

Post by yljt »

cerave hydrating facial cleanser for normal to dry skin
cerave moisturizing cream

(aye)

i use these because they are cheap and effective and because my skin feels "good" afterward