Variations on a theme

clothes
skunk ape
First Prestige
First Prestige

Variations on a theme

Post by skunk ape »

Do you have too many clothes? Have you convinced yourself that your too many clothes are actually each unique in their own special way? Have you tried to get rid of them but then said, "no, but what if I come upon this situation? I would miss this!" and then you keep everything? Show your pile of things that are almost exactly the same but different enough that you can realistically lie to yourself.

In my quarantine, I've spent most of my time in gray wool and wool-like pants:

nanamica: polyester plain weave that's water resistant with polartec lining. Warm and rugged. They are visually unremarkable and I'm going to pretend that's the reason they're cut off.
nanamica: These are basically fleece sweatpants, but they have a skirted waistband and two buttons AND sidetab adjusters, so they're orkplace appropriate sweatpants.
Uniqlo x JW Anderson: These feel like getting hugged by that bear from the snuggle fabric softener ads. I introduced my wife to these and she has appropriated them so I don't get to wear them anymore. I was only able to take this picture because she went out for a run and thus had to take them off.
Slowear x nanamica: Indestructible and the smallest size 34 in the world and I didn't realize they were polyester until I was trying to figure out how to wash them. These are functionally the same as jeans in their indestructibility and napkin-like effectiveness of wiping my hands on them (something that cannot be said for ANY of these other pants)
Uniqlo x Undercover: Sweatpants on the outside, dress pants on the inside, and they feature an elastic waist and drawstring far before that kind of thing became cool. Among my greatest clothing regrets is not buying the matching jacket when I had the chance.
Uniqlo x Undercover: They have cargo pockets. That's enough to make 'em unique, but they also feature an elastic waist and drawstring but let's be real: the cargo pockets are so trim that they're not useful for anything except maybe holding small envelopes.
Kaptain Sunshine: Made from a VERY comfortable cashmere flannel, this thing has front pockets that fit a phone and a fairly dramatic high rise, as well as sewn in cuffs that prevent these from falling under your shoe. They're practically pajamas. I also regret not buying the matching jacket.
Undercover: These are sort of a...waxy? squeaky flannel? dry hand? with a solid front crease that make these smart casual and office appropriate, which is not something I can say for a lot of these other pants. They also have that neat line above the pockets. I really haven't worn these much in quarantine, to be honest, but when it comes time to look nice (in 2022)...

Put this in your signature if you like to post with friends: https://i.imgur.com/GUPLGPw.png

foxtail_grass
First Prestige
First Prestige

Re: Variations on a theme

Post by foxtail_grass »

Black, wide leg, lightweight pants.
L>R: Vintage kick flares with corset detailing; vintage silk straight-leg with elastic waist (comfy bois); and vintage Ann Demeulemeester, kinda both a kick flare and a straight leg. I am not sure what the fabric is, but it has weirdly *shiny* spots and the seams are looking thin/worn :oops: ...

Also buying multi-packs of Hanes white undershirts and cutting 'em to various lengths.
foxtail_grass
First Prestige
First Prestige

Post by foxtail_grass »

Discovered a new theme today- shirts that are fitted through the waist and flowy/oversized through the chest and sleeves.

Sage checked lightweight flannel wrap top. Silver cinch strap is *chef's kiss*. I think this was a depop find, unknown brand. Probably 90s.

Cream Dana Buchanan silk crepe poet shirt. I have loved this shirt for many years, and tailored the waist myself! I even found a matching jacket a few years later. Also has hidden shoulder snaps that create a like, faux padded shoulder when snapped? Very weird but I love it.

Kenzo wool garnet shirt. Can also be a jacket, it's lined. Hidden buttons and a waistcoat-style cinch at the back. Beautiful gem from the men's section of Buffalo Exchange.
✌️✌️✌️ giving you major Pope vibes with the last two pics.=
Trench Witch

Post by Trench Witch »

I own about 5 pairs of supreme work pants because I'm dumb. good when you could get them for 50 bucks
I will never put my sword down
rubymtn

Post by rubymtn »

I own a lot of dark blue work pants though I mostly wear my Ben Davis ones on account of Chicano pride
Mojave
frannyglass

Post by frannyglass »

i own many a green pant, personally
i'm svvagged out.. based.
thewisdomoftime

Post by thewisdomoftime »

In 2017/18 I had the idea that I could cut my wardrobe down to black, gray, green, and beige.[1] I was correct, and brilliant. The issue is that the 4 colors I actually care about are forest, hunter, olive, and sage.

I own a black-and-green panel coat, a black-and-green panel raincoat, a sage ripstop vest, an olive anorak, an olive-gray-black rain camo sweater[2], a seafoam sweater, and six distinct camo shirts. This list is nothing ridiculous in itself, the problem is that every time I move I downsize my wardrobe, and I never cut anything dark green. The list of garments holding me on this precipice over my future life as the forest green power ranger is shorter than the green list: my tee shirts, three pairs of pants, a black coat that doesn't fit me very well, 2 white oxford shirts I bought in 2017, and my shoes.

Thankfully, this whole covid thing has served as a coda and a hard-reset. I'm totally alienated from life. The only people who know how I dress are my roommates and the cashier at the deli across the street. Nothing is stopping me from entering my yellow era. "I may take flight, but all the while I am fleeing, I will be looking for a weapon."

[1]
Spoiler:
Obviously you can write a 600 page book about black/white/gray being/not-being colors, but I joined the party of "black and gray are colors, white is their determinate absence," and there's more parties here than in Dutch parliament.
[2]
Spoiler:
My mom is better at knitting than your mom.
'I feel like I'm a messenger .. sent here by someone .. my mom, probably.'
CMYK

Post by CMYK »

Will also be owning myself in this thread.

White button down shirts
Spoiler:
rebuild by needles, engineered garments, j crew, uniqlo, mountian research, custom, bianca chandon
Black tee shirts
Spoiler:
ibex, homemade, LOT x5, uniqlo, helmut lang, no name synthetic, our legacy
Black pants
Spoiler:
calvin klein, topo, functional clothing lab, topo, RRL, uniqlo, old town
rjbman
Site Admin

Post by rjbman »

let the record show i bought 2 (3?) black tees off cmyk last year so this is the pared down collection
~*~ cut my life into pieces, this is my last resort ~*~
silvaeri

Post by silvaeri »

Where are the black sweatshirts and hoodies/jackets cmyk. you're holding out on us.
bels
First Prestige
First Prestige

Post by bels »

My shoes off at the mandir
My shoes off at the airport (airport, airport, airport, airport)
My shoes off at the masjid
My shoes off at the airport (airport, airport, airport, airport)

I should actually pare this down I never wear the white or blue slip ons.
skunk ape
First Prestige
First Prestige

Post by skunk ape »

Spend less on jeans.

No.

This is (almost) 9 years of collecting. I had to throw a few pairs out that got TOO thrashed (rip my momotaros, whom I still love, even in death)

Uniqlo U: these are pretty good. I usually skate in 'em. Good 'modern' (not thigh tight) cut and square cut pockets. If I didn't have other jeans I'd be very happy with these.
Uniqlo x JW Anderson: These are pretty bad, for my tastes and purposes. Soft denim and a super wide clam digger workwear cut that will be cool in four years maybe. It has a key loop and triple stitching, which I like. I don't really wear these ever right now, that may change in the future.
Tomorrowland: Are these jeans? They're washi paper and cotton and THEY DO NOT FADE. More time than I care to admit spent trying to fade them before I figured it out. They feature shirting material pockets, a sewn in crease, and a remarkably short inseam. Nice in spring or summer but they're very strange.
Undercover: super lightweight with a lightning bolt sewn on the knee. These are nothing special, really, but they have white line selvage.
Studio d'artisan: These are some of my earliest jeans and they're natural indigo. They took forever to fade. They look great and the cut is good but I got fat. It has holes in it. First pair of workhorse jeans
Sugarcane: It has sugarcane. I should buy another pair of these in a size or two up. These used to be my workhorse jeans, now I keep 'em around because I can't bring myself to throw them away.
Gap: These are regular gap jeans I got for super cheap. They're great and I recommend them to anyone, especially since I paid like $20. I threw up on them once, which is uncool, man. Good workhorse jeans.
Blue blue japan: got these for relatively cheap when I was at a jeans nadir. Wore the heck out of them and they are blowing out in the crotch so I need to repair them before it happens. Broken twill, kind of hard faders so you get the "vintage fade," which is not something I'm really a fan of but not enough to stop. Also not a fan of the zipper fly. Maybe I don't like these jeans? These were my workhorse jeans until they blew out and I switched to the Gap ones, but these have a lot of life left.
Studio d'artisan: these are the cherry blossom jeans that I bought a year ago on sale and sized down too much, but I lost weight and now they fit. Probably too trim through the calf but they're wonderful jeans and I'll wear them until I can't. The cherry blossom thing is a fun gimmick. Fades are just starting to show through.

Put this in your signature if you like to post with friends: https://i.imgur.com/GUPLGPw.png

hharrissonn

Post by hharrissonn »

Straight/Tapered Black Pants

1) Uniqlo +J Chino - Heavyweight cotton with some stretch. Fairly aggressively tapered from the knee with a slight flare at the leg opening. Long enough to actually stack on my shoes which is something I'm not used to with pants but I like it. Mid-high rise which is nice because I have no ass.
2) Issey Miyake - Lightweight cotton, true straight leg. Falls just below my ankle (no break). Flap pockets on the back are nice because again, I have no ass. I have no idea what season they're from because I got them on TRR for like $60. If this was a ranking of pants these would easily be number 1.
3) Craig Green Uniform Pants - Lightweight cotton, cool details like integrated belt straps and elastic at waist. The little rope thing is neat and they look good with the coordinating light jacket I have. Carrot shape tapered leg. Ankle cut, so I prefer to wear them with tall boots. I got hand sanitizer on them like the second time I wore them and some of the dye came out, which is my only real complaint. Considering buying in another color because I'm a simp.
4) Homme Plissé Issey Miyake - Straight leg, so they have belt loops and a functional fly which is nice but I've never worn a belt with them. Hits just below the ankle, almost identical to the Issey cotton pants. Super comfy and fun to wear on windy days. Usually wear them with low tops but I tried them with tall boots recently and the bunching/stacking is kind of interesting. One of the two "fun" pants I own and I wear them pretty regularly.
5) Outdoor Voices Rectrek Pants - Honorable mention. Slim/tapered leg, also hits just above my ankle but I think that might be because I sized too small. Great for running errands and I don't have to worry about spilling shit on them. Zip pockets are nice if not a bit small/shallow. Mesh lining keeps them cool without being super swishy which I like. Would be a good airport pant. I wear them with slip-on Vans or with running shoes if I want to pretend I'm physically active.
@hharrissonn
dyetransfer.tumblr.com
skunk ape
First Prestige
First Prestige

Post by skunk ape »

If Gray Pants make up my winter uniform, surely Blue Pants are my spring-summer.

Uniqlo easy ankle pants: frankly, these are kind of crappy but they're lightweight and indestructible (sorry, nature) so I can use them to do things like [redacted] without worrying about them turning threadbare, or caring if they do.

nanamica webbing belt pants: really nice end-on-end fabric with just a little bit of texture to it to let you know it's fashionable. Basically what you expect from nanamica in the usability/elegance axis. This feels like the last year their sizing was normal.

Document indigo linen pants: all the fun of bleeding indigo with none of the hardiness, I ignored these pants for a while because they seemed to be too high maintenance but, as one does, I decided that I might as well wear them. They're quite nice and fully featured (skirted waistband, wood buttons (poorly sewn because it's document), locker loops) and wearing them is way better than not wearing them. Good beach pants.

Uniqlo U easy pants: These pants are fine. Like all my uniqlo items, I wear them more often than my nice things and therefore they end up being a little dearer to me. These are lightweight and great in bright sun, though I will admit that my vision is colored by these being basically the only pants I wore for two months last summer (I also had shorts). The drawstring keeps 'em easy.

Uniqlo U seersucker suit pants: I actually don't wear these that often because they are, ultimately, suit pants. But every once in a while, the blue seersucker is important to have. It's also a nice beater suit but I haven't really needed a beater suit for a long time.

nanamica alphadry pants: Alphadry is nanamica's proprietary technical fabric that they make a lot of stuff out of. Frankly, I love it, but i'm kidding myself if I pretend it's worth the significant premium over airism. These are also the bottom half of a matching jacket, but I wear these regularly because they can take a beating. I would never say no to more alphadry pants (i have more).

You Must Create cotton-linen pants: These are surprisingly heavy, the rough and tumble version of the lightweight Uniqlo U easy pants. They hold a bit more heat, but they also wear in nicely. A friend of mine told me it looked like I was wearing scrubs, which is fine for now but may be bad when we return to public.

Unused silk cotton pants: these are, again, basically the Uniqlo U easy pants but way, way nicer. They have cool details like a waistband that changes width halfway through (I don't know how to describe this), an included belt tie, and inside-out construction details. very cool, but I was scared of the "hand wash only" label based on the skirted construction (I got over it). The leg opening is pretty big and I got stubby legs so I have to roll up the cuff, prompting a friend to ask me where the flood was. I was at the beach, so it was very clear where the flood was. What a dumb question.

yourdad

Post by yourdad »

don't mind me. just another person coming in with their collection of black bottoms

Spoiler:
from left to right
1. zam barrett overlocked z1: wanted some slim black denim but i never wear them because i didn't check the measurements carefully when buying these so they're far too tight in the thigh
2. moore's clothing aka men's wearhouse: pleated trousers in a tropical wool. bought these 4 sizes big then had them cropped + cuffed for that budget yohji look
3. same as above but not cropped or cuffed
4. needles hd bdu: super wide cargos that can be cinched at the hem
5. homme plisse issey miyake loose pleated trousers: my favourite summer trousers and perfect for travel
6. drkshdw pods: plain black shorts. easy to throw on in the summer
7. drkshdw creatch shorts: same as the pods but with some more interesting details
8. drkshdw lounge pants: perfect for running errands
9. ro lounge pants: same as the drkshdw ones but in a lighter material
10. julius gasmask cargos: when i want to look like i'm interested in fashion lol but also the pockets are perfect for tall boys