Explain cyberpunk to pirx so he can sell it to old people

Clothes

Re: Explain cyberpunk to pirx so he can sell it to old peopl

Postby CMYK » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:25 am

Can confirm, am fully interested in making some sort of homebaked, non-creepy tech overlord owned "fitpix ben". The Amazon thing honestly looks pretty cool, but yea fuckin right I'm gonna let Amazon into my house like that.

My haxor skillz are not very leet but hopefully I'll have some good time to put against this soon. Should be possible as a standalone hardware project with an arduino, but some of the more complex speech synthesis might benefit from running on a Raspberry Pi (tech peeps, correct me if I'm wrong). Would also be cool to combine with the stereotypical magic mirror raspberry pi project. I guess if it had a camera too you could run facial recognition and have the mirror greet you by name...

Uh ANYWAY... I might put some time against this soon, and will ovi keep this thread updated on the process. Not fully distributed yet... yadda yadda yadda Gibson.

@rjbman show them ur cool new jacket!

CMYK

Postby rjbman » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:51 pm

you can get arduinos with processors but yeah, raspis have def cornered the microprocessor market

"Let's be vagabonds." - Yohji Yamamoto
rjbman

Postby adiabatic » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:09 pm

I strongly suspect one of the reasons why they're pitching this mostly to women at first is because they put a lot more work into having their recommendation engine figure out what makes women look good. This seems to mirror what happens with real people — the last time I poked my head into a female-fashion-advice forum one of the first things I noticed was that they have an extensive technical vocabulary for body types and body-part shapes that I just don't see men use. That is, our discussions of fits aren't as systematized as theirs are.

How many more person-hours do you think go into "what makes women look good" compared to "what makes men look good"? I'd expect the difference is 1-2 orders of magnitude (10x–100x).

I'd expect the sex ratio in the mass-market ads to equalize somewhat in a couple years once Amazon gets more confidence in its ability to recommend things for men to wear. I'd also expect them to pitch this to men who visit fashion forums or who browse clothes on Amazon, regardless of the sex ratio of the mass-market TV ads.

“clothing for attractive rich people in their 20s to go to weddings in” — Zack Johnson on Vineyard Vines
adiabatic

Postby bels » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:18 am

What does it mean for capitalism now that taste + opinions are being outsourced so heavily (they always were obviously, via advertising) but like Northwest says:

This is a response that's everywhere as more and more people who once paid lip service to the value of opinions are overwhelmed by the number of opinions available in the information age.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby adiabatic » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:02 am

I don't think there's anything new here. Amazon sells clothes (among other things). Any decent sales assistant will try to learn what she can about someone who comes into a storefront looking to buy clothes in order to steer him to things he'll like enough to buy. Amazon's merely trying to offer that sort of service to its customers, backed by machine-learning algorithms. In order to do that, they're selling a selfie video camera linked to an app on your phone that you can use to see what you look like from all angles, while moving, and then send videos of you in your clothes to your friends.

Also, I'm not seeing much of a change in centralization compared to what we have now, especially when I'm thinking about pan-Anglophonic fashion forums. Any machine-learning algorithm worth its salt will base decisions off local trends — if only to avoid selling heavy jackets to me and to avoid selling linen shirts to Alaskans.

“clothing for attractive rich people in their 20s to go to weddings in” — Zack Johnson on Vineyard Vines
adiabatic

Postby sknss » Sun May 07, 2017 12:29 pm

tactical bike handlebar bag

sknss
2015 Summer Camp Participant

Postby CheerUpBrokeBoy » Mon May 08, 2017 3:11 pm

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CheerUpBrokeBoy

Postby Quasimodo » Mon May 15, 2017 6:09 am

Strong write-up of futuristic clothing throughout the last century, worth reading:
http://epochs.co/features/the-shape-of-clothes-to-come

Quasimodo

Postby oucho » Wed May 17, 2017 10:20 am

vibram

oucho

Location:          ⃝     ⃝              ⃝     ⃝              ⃝      ⃝            ⃝          ⃝    ⃝

Postby odradek » Wed May 17, 2017 7:13 pm

odradek

Postby rjbman » Mon May 22, 2017 9:58 am

lights that let people on cell phones know when the walk sign changes

rjbman

Postby rjbman » Tue May 30, 2017 9:11 pm

rjbman

Postby odradek » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:11 pm

odradek

Postby anth » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:24 am

Dude that image is my future it's liKe I have to become those colors and I need to wear neons, I need to look like I'm from dimension x dude, FROMthat lizard dhde it's my future

"Life is so great. Life is so fun. Life is so great in my head because I see the love. I see what life could be. As long as I can fulfill it and fulfill my days, it will be fruitful and come about." - Lil B
anth

Postby adiabatic » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:00 am

anth wrote:Dude that image is my future it's liKe I have to become those colors and I need to wear neons, I need to look like I'm from dimension x dude, FROMthat lizard dhde it's my future

The lizard looks very 90s, though. Neon was more an 80s thing.

adiabatic

Postby adiabatic » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:57 pm

adiabatic

Postby sknss » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:38 am

sknss
2015 Summer Camp Participant

Postby adiabatic » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:54 pm

sknss wrote:[pastel snorkeling masks]

Beach gear is not, and can never be, cyberpunk.

If you wanted to demonstrate that there exists at least one beach-gear object that is cyberpunk, this ain't it.

adiabatic

Postby CMYK » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:01 pm

adiabatic wrote:

If you wanted to demonstrate that there exists at least one beach-gear object that is cyberpunk, this ain't it.

Breh...

CMYK

Postby vgtbls » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:03 pm

tfw the emotional climax of your magnum opus takes place on a virtual beach and all people want to do is talk about the city

vgtbls

Postby nope » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:19 am

tfw the only work still available for non-genetically-enhanced humans is scavenging the ruins of neo-neo-tokyo but it's 10m underwater due to completely melted antarctic ice sheets

nope

Postby adiabatic » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:46 pm

CMYK wrote:
adiabatic wrote:

Breh...
[people using bows and arrows at other people on jetskis]

Where is the cyber? I see none. Help me to see.

adiabatic

Postby vgtbls » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:46 pm

vgtbls

Postby Lorcan » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:19 am

Someone has forgotten Motoko's sick diving outfit

Lorcan

Postby nope » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:50 am

Looks like dystopian snorkle-punk is already here and it's quite a maximalist aesthetic.

nope

Postby rjbman » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:12 am

know what's cyberpunk? a third thumb
Gfycat Video - Click to Play

rjbman

Postby bels » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:37 am

Adidas x Acronym collab coming it looks like

bels
Yung Winona

Postby CheerUpBrokeBoy » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:55 pm

the hypercapitalist corporate leader antagonists are as integral to cyberpunk as the hacker protagonists and it's a shame that they don't get as much attention as the hackers, especially seeing how much they dominate and influence the setting of any cyberpunk work

i'd like to see cyberpunk focused on an corporate infotech overlord and how their power and greed totally corrupt them. basically the wolf of wall street set a century in the future – if jordan belfort's corruption and excess ruined him to the extent that it did in that movie, imagine that story in a hypermodern setting dominated by Big Data and even more corporate omnipresence

if acr is for the future soldiers and the hackers rock DIY punk ensembles, what do the hyperbourgeois wear? jil? dior suiting? i'm imagining an exaggerated version of what modern-day wall street guys wear: razor-sharp tailoring, conservative colors, a style defined by conformity and social capital

or maybe they'd all just be zuckerberg-style nerds but that doesn't make for a convincing villain

CheerUpBrokeBoy

Postby smiles » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:27 pm

Eddie's right – the hypercapitalist villain would be a brain without a body, or maybe a kind of cyborg running off the blood of the proletariat (or cloned organs, however evil/dystopian you want to be). (This is already what zuckerberg style nerds want to do).

On the other hand, the wall street types would probably dress exactly the same as they always have.

草地跑過的腳印
smiles

Postby CheerUpBrokeBoy » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:06 pm

the "brain without a body" sounds like you're describing AI, or in a more literal sense something like dixie flatline or the major's ghost in GITS, which are the products of a cyberpunk setting, but not what are necessarily driving that setting/culture/etc.

i guess i was wrong to think that these hypercapitalists are generally the antagonists of cyberpunk works, but they definitely influence the genre a great deal. there's generally always a powerful corporate interest in cyberpunk fiction, and their greed and/or fanatical devotion to innovation ends up creating the primary antagonist or malevolent plot device – neuromancer/wintermute, the replicants, and virgo had to be created by tessier-ashpool, the tyrell corporation, and the aquarius corporation, respectively (that last one is from frank miller's ronin, a book i HIGHLY recommend)

it feels wrong to differentiate between the hypercapitalists in cyberpunk and modern-day wall street - wall street is where capital is primarily controlled in the US, and cyberpunk is a setting where data and capital are one and the same. the 2008 recession influenced the way i read cyberpunk a lot: it's a clumsy analogy, but to me modern banks are to tessier-ashpool what the housing collapse itself is to neuromancer – simultaneously an omnipresent malevolent force the former cannot control but is essentially the end product of their ideology

CheerUpBrokeBoy

PreviousNext

Return to Tags