The Future Is Curatorial

Clothes

Re: The Future Is Curatorial

Postby Bryan » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:31 pm

Well @Bela I don't have any other Rafdidas 'cept the Response 2's but I figured "hey why not post my shoe collection here"

I present to you: "I have a hard time finding clothes that fit me properly so I buy cool shoes"

L-R: quetzalcoatl x Puma, Y-3, quetzalcoatl x Sebago, Rafdidas, Nike, New Balance, quetzalcoatl x New Balance

I should(maybe)/could sell the NB's and Pumas as they lean more towards streetwear but I dunno I really like them.

When I find more Rafdidas in my size and buy them i'll post here again.

wya
Bryan

Postby hmwut » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:47 pm

warm-weather footwear ready for deployment

wrote a bit for this post but decided to make a thread about it instead but man it felt so good to bust out the wallies again

hmwut

Postby hmwut » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:53 pm

@yourdad those r visvim christos

hmwut

Postby IsaiahSchafer » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:44 pm

Finally got around to taking pictures of all my shoes. Album is here: http://imgur.com/a/ybhQp

Here's the group shot:

IsaiahSchafer

Postby exprof » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:30 pm

90% of my current shoes.. ideally I'd like to add a pair of tricker's boots and brogues.

exprof

Postby stappard_ » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:55 pm

About a year ago I tried to start thinking more 'curatorially' about my wardrobe, and because this is the way my brain works, I made a spreadsheet detailing the clothes I own. It worked in the first instance because I immediately started identifying items that had sat in wardrobe/drawers for a long time and I could see once I had everything in front of me, that they obviously weren't fitting in with where my tastes were moving.

But then it all went a bit wrong when I started looking at the spreadsheet and seeing gaps. "Why don't I have a white button down shirt? Why don't I have an overshirt?" and so on. I'd fill the gaps before realising that I hadn't previously considered them because I didn't really like them until I felt compelled to 'complete' my wardrobe.

So the spreadsheet is gone. My tastes are mature enough (in the sense that I'm not suddenly going to declare myself a ninja whatever) and my buying habits controlled enough that I feel confident in buying items as and when I see fit that fit more naturally with my subconscious ability to direct my wardrobe without filling artificial gaps like I'm working through a GQ 'must-haves' checklist or something.

stappard_

Postby oucho » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:15 pm

curating is a hobby, creating is much cooler

I don't have enough money to have a wardrobe, I just have a few items that I like, I don't even want a wardrobe right now I change my mind about too many things too often and I'm only 22, but mainly money, sometimes I feel like I shouldn't even be interested in fashion because it's expensive, the idea of saving up to spend money I don't have on an industry that excludes me seems really lame

oucho

Postby anonomous » Fri May 02, 2014 11:24 am

Relevant (smiling). What you said is very true though.

anonomous

Postby Blastoise » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:52 pm

Starting at top left: Vans, Vans, GH Bass (work shoes), Clarks, Clarks, Nike, Converse, Warrior, Superga

Favorite pair: Clarks Drille Modes (second pair of Clarks, center). Next: Dr. Martens 1461 Mono (black)

Really satisfied and content with what I have right now. Not pictured is a pair of New Balance x Herschel Supply 420s in burgundy that I'm planning to sell (size 9.5).

Blastoise

Postby Bobbin.Threadbare » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:24 pm

After years and years of inhaling my warbrobe is set to exhale enormously and I want to only have 'the best' example of a thing and not loads of versions. Me and Katy are always searching and seeking and she's really good at editing her stuff and I'm awful.

Bobbin.Threadbare

Postby bels » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:10 pm

Yeah but what about white sneaks though.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby thatbiglake » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:43 pm

nn

Last edited by thatbiglake on Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
thatbiglake

Postby bouquet » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:12 pm

@thatbiglake Really impressed that you're following through with the whole capsule wardrobe thing. Sorry if you mentioned it somewhere and I just didn't see it, but do you have a specific reason for wanting to do it?

bouquet

Postby thatbiglake » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:58 pm

nn

Last edited by thatbiglake on Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
thatbiglake

Postby JewTurk » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:05 pm

I definitely need to do something akin to this. I did the MFA month long thing and looking at what I wore in retrospect helped me see what I actually like/don't like so I feel like for my last year of high school I'll be able to really nail down what I want.

JewTurk

Postby JewTurk » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:04 pm

Shoes (as of now)

Toms/thrift/clarks/yuketen/vans/vans/vans/quoddy

Not pictured are my vans all black slip ons and my all black converse. I wear them for work as its part of dress code so I have a lot of all black colorway shoes.

I'm definitely getting on more pair of shoes before school starts I just need to figure out what it's going to be. Boots in Arizona don't make any sense so I'm avoiding boots, might get some all white chuck taylors and see how those look beat to shit.

I'm "finished" getting jeans after I get my Oni's and my BOM008s. In total I'll have 5 pairs of jeans in my rotation at a time, two of them being season wears.

PS

I GOT THE FURNITURE THING ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD AND ITS PERFECT

JewTurk

Postby maj » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:56 am

@smiles

Please post your collection

Spoiler:
aw13 map pull over
aw13 polo
aw13 tee
ss14 quilted bomber
ss14 smart pants
ss14 hooded bomber
ss14 ribbed cap
ss14 mesh over shirt
ss14 cycling/ track jacket
ss14 smart shorts
ss14 parachute hoody

i also have a aw13 tracksuit sample which is too small and will be going to a loving home

Major General John "Hacks" Dunning (Viscount Windsor) aka peak angry nerd
maj

Postby bels » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:59 pm

pips wrote:I did an inventory of my tops (or stuff I can wear as tops) and saw I own way too many basics and not enough "interesting" ones. Gray shirts are a particular weakness... but to be honest they're mostly what I wear on a regular day so I guess that's great? Not to mention I have two yards of heather gray organic cotton jersey sitting around, just waiting to be made into even more shirts.

Cant help it though, the right shade of gray can be such a flattering and versatile color.

Tower of basic tshirts.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby mc-lunar » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:20 pm

hey @germinal, those raf sneakers you said you really wanted but could only find in a 41 are in a size 42 on grailed here, no idea what size you are though. Another pair of them from the same collection is here if you want more, lol

also about them being an asics collab:

the grailed seller wrote:A common misconception is that these shoes were made by Asics, I’ve recently had some contact with an Asics Representative. To summarize: the shoes were mislabeled by Oki-Ni, they quickly rectified this mistake but not before several blogs took over this information - it being misquoted over the years, and accepted as a common truth. The later Adidas collaboration adding to viability of this. Although one could see the similarity in pattern Asics had intact nothing to do with it. You read it here first, people.

mc-lunar

Postby hirokinakamura » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:17 am

Zach's Curious Collection of Ervell

ss13 navy waterproof parka
fw11 charcoal rubberised cotton bomber jacket

pants
Spoiler:
ss14 black stonewash selvedge denim
fw13 moss brushed cotton standard pants
fw13 blue flecked cotton flannel standard pants
ss13 turquoise pleated tropical wool shorts

shirts
Spoiler:
fw10 washed denim standard buttondown
fw13 navy corduroy standard buttondown
fw13 midnight blue knit jersey formal buttondown
ss13 white cotton ripstop midcentury buttondown

jersey
Spoiler:
fw13 white jacquard ribbing sweat
ss12 grey sweatshirt
ss14 ivory baseball shirt

aldo x ervell sneakers
fw12 grosgrain hat
red lambskin suede sport cap (one-of-a-kind sample)
fw13 birdseye knit cap

:sweg:

The Loopwheel Lord, King of Sweatshirts, and consummate Watch Snob
hirokinakamura

Postby germinal » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:14 am

HAPPY VICTIMS

"In the fashion magazines that crowd the rack of bookstores and corner shops, beautiful models live beautiful lives wearing beautiful clothes in beautiful homes. Whereas my Happy Victims are neither strikingly attractive nor occupy handsomely appointed dwellings. And yet in all of Japan, they’re the ones who buy these brands most, not models. These Happy Victims unilaterally dedicated their lives to the brands they love despite getting no kudos from the sellers. But they’re magic to my eyes, they radiate positive vibes that transcend all reason."

Kyoichi Tsuzuki

Hermes
"The high ground of Yoyogi Hachiman, where on a clear day the panoramic overlook to the skyscrapers of the New Tokyo City Center in West Shinjuku is breathtaking. It’s a 30-year-old apartment with no bath and no elevator to the fourth floor, but the rent is cheap and it’s convenient to his job at a patent office in West Shinjuku. He’s big on Hermès, his "collection" having started from a necktie he bought when job-hunting "so as not to be laughed at on account of clothes." Now he carries a 500,000 yen briefcase to work, the familiar trademark orange bags and boxes striking a currious harmony with the sun-faded tatami mats. White shirts (Hermès, of course) all hand-washed and hung up to dry, ready to wear to work. No need to iron, "just snap them smooth by hand and they’re fine." He tends to sweat, so he always carris his precious briefcase wrapped in a towel. And no ordinary one at that - an Hermès bath mitten."

Final Home
"A suburban street near Shimo Kitazawa. His back-alley woodframe apartment house is built on a slope, giving it good exposure and even something of a view. A department store display decorator, he lives in a cheap 65,000 yen one-room plus kitchen, bath and WC apartment. Straddling the worlds of art and commerce - where he must take pains that "artistic elements work successfully on a commercial basis" - he swears by his thick Damien Hirst artbook, his iMac and all his Final Home clothes. What he no longer wears, he takes to the shop to get passed out to the homeless while he gets T-shirts in exchange. He likes the feeling of being involved in something bigger than mere fashion. He even has every one of the teddy bears (not just stuffed toys, they’re pocket warmers too) Final Home puts out with each new collection."

Pleats Please
"A veteran "hard news" newscaster, she’s even authored a book on Indonesian President Megawati. Clothes conscious since childhood, she moved from the "surfer look" of her school days to Ingeborg and Norma Kamali in the 1980s, then on to Thierry Mugler and Iceberg from 1988, then was converted to Issey Miyake Pleats Please from spring 1995. Even today 80% of what she buys is Issey, her fashionable Nishi-Azabu condo ablaze with her colorful collection. Pleats are "Just the thing for travel reporting around Asia." The patterns are Asian-influenced, the skirts are long, perfect for islamic countries. They ward off air conditioning, can be combined different ways like kimono and obi sashes, and take up no suitcase space. Any age and body line can wear them, she argues convincingly, "Even if you get pregnant!""

Comme des Garcons
"A condo near a station in the north of Tokyo, his 2DK Tokyo pied-a-terre. He leads a busy life as a Buddhist monk in a temple up in Ibaragi, then once a month comes to Tokyo and uses this as his basecamp for shopping and having fun. At the temple he may wear monk’s robes, but in Tokyo he wears nothing but Comme des Garçons. It all started from a tank top he bought when he was in the fifth grade, and now at 29 after "various flings" with other labels he’s back to being a true-blue Garcons collector. Why does he like it so much? A moment later comes the profound koan-like answer, "Hmm, maybe it’s the tag, or Rei Kawakubo’s hair-style…" Whatever brands he might try, he always keeps coming back to Rei Kawakubo’s singular stance. His older sister is also Garçonsiste, "a former delinquent reformed when she found Garçons." So powerful a presence in their lives is Kawakubo."

germinal
Garminlad

Postby smiles » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:11 pm

Okay, here are my clothes. Mostly did this as a way to take stock and make clear what I should stop buying. You all can help because if i say I'm going to buy some jeans tell me "no"

My shoes:

Very happy with my shoes. No need to buy anything else really. Missing a more formal option but at this stage it is of no consequence

My pants:

Downsides: too many jeans... I'll be receiving story jeans in addition to this. All of these fabrics are cotton blends. Could use some wool trews. I like the color range with what I have though.

My shorts:

all fine.

My Shirts:

I'd like to branch out a bit and get some more in different textures/fabrics and colors but what I have now is pretty good.

My t-shirts

no complaints

My midlayers

I would say lacking in knits.

My outerwear

These two are excellent. Only thing I'm looking to add is a rainproof outerwear.

overall, I clearly should stop buying pants (especially jeans), t-shirts, shoes, cotton shirts, sweatshirts, shorts. What I could buy is a wider color/texture variety of shirts, knits, and a rainproof jacket. Overall, I still have too many items of clothing though. It makes moving difficult.

草地跑過的腳印
smiles

Postby hamburgerlady » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:37 pm

i like this thread a lot, i'll be back to post my lad/etc. collection soon.
always great reads and interesting perspectives on others wardrobes; especially all at once in photo form.

hamburgerlady

Postby mc-lunar » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:01 am

So I'm doing nocop until christmas (@germinal, put those derbs on hold for me please? :D) and I think that taking photos of what I own and cataloging it is probably the best way to get started on contentedness. Obviously the best way to be content in general is to just wear and love your clothes but that takes a lot more time, so this is how I start. Shoes first, then pants + tees etc because that requires me being on top of laundry.

Theres a bunch of surprises in here that haven't been in a fit I posted - that just means I don't think I'm wearing them well enough to share yet! Practice makes perfect as they say

Spoiler:
  • Visvim virgil, Timberland x stussy, CDB, APC motorcycle boots, Rick grey suede baskets, Bean boots
  • Nike x APC, Raf, Vans, CP tournament Hi, 10sei0otto
  • MMM, Raf, Converse, Reebok x Garbstore, Vans, Converse x CDG play
  • Allen Edmonds Big Sur, Sperry, Aldo x Ervell runway samples, Birkenstocks

so a couple of thoughts on what I have and moving forward:
  • the geobaskets were a grail of mine and are like 90% of why i'm copfreezing - they're so nice, but so damn expensive. goodbye savings. someone on irc told me grails were worth financial irresponsibility so it was a good decision right?
  • visvim virgils are fucking amazing.
  • I'm probably going to sell the CPs (sizing is wonky and they are kinda not interesting to me) and goodwill the sperrys and regular converse, i just dont wear them at all
  • the Allen Edmonds are so cool, the suede is a gorgeous color and they have this sick chunky vibram sole. and they were $70!!!!

This seems like a shitton of shoes for any reasonable person (and i agree, it is) but when I take good pictures of the rest of my clothes you'll see i have like 5 tops and 3 bottoms that these all get regularly mix-and-matched with. I'm happy with that but I'm also glad that I recently got some more interesting clothes to play with. As a whole, the shoes are the coolest part of my wardrobe by far.

mc-lunar

Postby can- » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:32 am

u have nice shoes

can-

Postby Ques » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:43 pm

had a lot of free time on my hands today so thought i'd do a state of my wardrobe post thing

Spoiler:
left --> right
top --> down

1. our legacy platinum windbreaker -- got this in deep sale because it looked like a gem and it's probably one of my favorite garms now. seems to pair well with most of my wardrobe, and is super light so i can wear it when it's warm out. also i get a compliment on it 100% of the time i wear it, so that's fun.

2. norse projects nunk -- picked this up last f/w because i didn't own a warm coat and needed one for the first time in my life. it served it's purpose, but the sleeves are scratchy so i can't wear it with t's. the hood is also too small, so i have to use hats to stay dry. plus, it's a little short in the body for my tastes, and the sleeves are too slim for lots of layering.

3. vintage lamb-lined trucker w/ bedazzles

4. picked this blazer up at a thrift store last week and haven't worn it yet. will report back later

5. cool neoprene-like jacket from COS

6. our legacy rainbow jacket -- got this as i started to fall into the OL rabbit hole, and haven't worn it nearly as much as i thought it would. it's such a statement piece that the rest of the outfit has to be more subdued, so i haven't hit my stride with pairing it yet. also denim jackets are just not the most comfortable thing in the world. hoping to wear it more as temps cool down, though.

7. wings and horns waves blazer -- cool knit in cream, seemed like it would pair with everything in my head, but just doesn't seem to ever actually work when i try things on with it. going to keep trying as it gets cooler out, but might just end up selling it. :(

1. eg polka dot shirt

2. our legacy indigo rain

3. etudes stamp shirt

4. some gray flannel my dad got for me

5. hm hawaiian shirt

6. our legacy pink tie-dye shirt

7. uniqlo chambray -- this keeps getting wear because it's my only plain blue shirt, but ideally i'd like to replace it with something that fits better and is made of a nice fabric, possibly with cooler details, in the future.

8. gap short sleeve shirt

9. our legacy waves shirt -- one of my favorite buys of s/s14, this shirt is way cooler in person than any of the product shots online show. the print is incredibly detailed in person, and there are little surfers on the waves sprinkled throughout. also, it shimmers in the light!

10. uniqlo striped shirt

11. our legacy blue-pink flowers shawl-zip

1. uniqlo cropped khakis

2. uniqlo wool pants

3. black coated/waxed jeans from UO

4. target corduroys

5. uniqlo jeans

6. outlier dungs

7. cos light wash denim

8. EG ghurka shorts in navy polka dot

1. our legacy tibet ink tee w/ cool sleeves

2. cos short sleeve jacquard knit

3. wool penguin sweater vest

4. long sleeve padded hanes sz l black tee

5. aa white track pants with ribbed cuff

6. our legacy mudd olive tie dye tee -- i need to stop buying expensive t- shirts i never wear them because they make me look fat and they're way too expensive

7. uniqlo heattech sweater

8. our legacy reptile melange sweat

9. long sleeve hanes padded sz l baby blue tee

10. hm linen blue shorts

11. aa sweatshorts

12. reigning champ hoodie

13. our legacy grapefruit sweat

14. hm christmas sweater

15. our legacy artillery sweat -- this has little ribbing inset around the shoulder/arm pit area and actually hurts to wear, unless it's layered over something. so i never wear it. lol

starting with 12 oclock going clockwise

1. HUGE BOSS BLACK DERBIES

2. zara side zips (lol)

3. chacos

4. birks

5. slip on vans

6. adidis campus 80s

7. nike lunarcore 4s

8. vans sk8 hi

thoughts: it feels like i have a lot of clothes when i do this, but in practice i don't feel like i own that many. i feel like my shoes don't really get even wear, since sandals are so easy to throw on. i really like all of my our legacy pieces, and i think i'm going to try to buy more of their stuff in the future. specifically, one of their runner shoes, and that floral wool long coat, since i don't like it when my butt gets cold from sitting on soggy things in the winter. i should probably purge a lot of my knits since i have too many to give them all regular wear. also some of my jackets seem superfluous since all i want to wear is my platinum windbreaker 24/7, yet i also really want a white bomber jacket for winter. i just have too many light-weight jackets. ALSO, i need to stop buying crazy printed shirts and buy some basics at some point, since i don't like my only blue shirt and I don't even own a white long sleeve shirt. but for now i'd say i'm pretty content with everything. (smiling)

Ques

Postby bels » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:37 pm

Campus 80s are niiiiiiiice

bels
Yung Winona

Postby germinal » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:03 pm

Your girlfriend says it's time to sell
But everything it fits so well

germinal
Garminlad

Postby Ques » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:17 pm

@germinal i was waiting till i got the cardi till i posted deet pics, but then i decided that i should save the cardi for waywt. anyway, i went the full 9 yards and took some #detail shots of my favorite pieces for y'all, p.s.: i liked the sticker:
Spoiler:

deets:
Spoiler:
waves shirt:
shawl zip:
wave knit blazer:
tie-dye shirt:
stamp shirt:
indigo rain:
dawn jacket buttons:

then i decided to document my hat collection:

Spoiler:

at this point i was on a roll and documented my aesop, succulent, endless summer merchandise, and books that i'm currently reading collections

Spoiler:
floyd:
benton and arnold:

i know this probably isn't the right thread for most of this, but we don't really have a curation thread for non-tags items, and i don't know if there's really a need for one either

Ques

Postby yubbermax » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:47 pm

Current footwear rotation. Back left are mono Docs if you can't tell.

I'm thinking about selling the Sauconys as I don't really wear them too much. I think my next pick up will be a black derby of some sort. I'm looking for something fairly cheap to tide me over until I can get some baller derbs.

yubbermax

PreviousNext

Return to Tags