Toilet Water

Clothes

Re: Toilet Water

Postby charybdis » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:30 pm

I smelled at the Margiela replica perfumes and got a headache so the lady kindly packed up two for me.

I'm really liking Lazy Sunday Morning (and not just because it's in line with my life goals). Trying to decide if I want a rollerball just for now, or to spring for the full size.

my mother is a kenzo fish sweater
charybdis

Postby yoyobeat » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:57 pm

a ton of samples from an eBay decanter person arrived in the mail recently; my smallsize terre d'hermes is gone and cdg wonderwood is running out so was excited to try some new stuff since I'm not knowledgeable about fragrances. Got a couple Lutens samples I'd tried a few years ago, as well as a bunch of random things I'd never heard of before just to experience some new frags. Looking forward to using them (all up so I can try more haha).

I'm a nerd so I also like to think of them kind of like powerups

+2 pine needle ability

+1 sweetness

Fragrances are so much fun, I completely forget about clothes when I smell them. Women : is this what makeup is like?

yoyobeat

Postby fun_yunchables » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:01 am

oooh I've recently been using the blackbird mizuchi fragrance. it smells like an old library to me. although the strength of the fragrance tapers off super fast and it basically just keeps a lingering note of cedar like smell. it's kind of one dimensional imo but I really dig it

coolest lame guy u'll ever meet
fun_yunchables

Postby odradek » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:37 pm

Soapocalypse Winter 2015:

Grandpa's Pine Tar Soap - The only repeat offender here. Smells like an old wooden boat and gets you clean. Never smelled anything like it, so as far as I'm concerned, it's unique. Excellent staying power and people will ask you if you were at a tire fire earlier. Mixes well with colognes I like, which is a bonus. Not really ideal for warmer temperatures.

Otherwise, the theme is pretty swedish.
Lanolin-Agg-Tval - I thought I had removed this from my cart, but I guess I removed the green tea stuff instead. Whoops. Doesn't smell like anything, probably really good for your face. My face is bomb as hell though, so I don't need this stuff.

Royal Swedish Birch Leaf Soap - Smells like birch leaves. I like that scent, reminds me a bit of eastern european gasthofs. Probably better for spring than anything else.

SEA SALT SOAP - Smells a bit like an apothecary, pretty much anonymous. Clean and sterile without the negative associations sterile usually conjures up. More like safe. Can't tell if there's been some cross-talk between it and the pine tar, but I get hints of it. Doesn't seem season specific, feels like nice soap for people who don't care about soap; the common projects of soap. Says "GOOD FOR SHAVING" inside the box. There're salt crystals inside that are an abrasive and they're fucking awesome.

SAVE WATER, SHOWER WITH A FRIEND - Nicely sized bar that's supposed to smell like grapefruit, but I don't get the full-on citrus I was hoping for. Actually reminds me of body sprays girls used to wear in high school, so not super stoked on that. Again, doesn't feel appropriate for colder months, but I won't be getting to this for at least a couple of months so I'm hoping the smell will grow on me. Comes with a flyer about household tips to save water, like composting and checking your toilet for leaks. I won't shower with a friend because showering with someone else sucks.

Citrus and Mint - One guess what this smells like. Invokes both glamorous but dated hotels and, a little later, cough drops. Fresh like a cold day instead of fresh like a summer day. Also claims to have oats in it, which I hope gives it a little bit of an abrasive.

odradek

Postby synthese » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:59 pm

hello toilet friends. i would like to take a moment to recommend two tom ford fragrances that smell quite nice: cafe rose (ROSES WITH SPICE AND SOME...COFFEE) and plum japonais (MYSTERIOUS JAPANESE WOMAN IN A PATISSERIE ON A RAINY DAY IN DECEMBER). i wear the latter on a very regular basis and hence feel sexy and mysterious on an equally regular basis. i enjoy scents that smell good the day after i apply them because i am an unwashed slob and i feel that smelling like plums and incense with a hint of oud, especially when my bedsheets also smell like plum and incense with a hint of oud, lends a welcome air of sexiness and mystery to what would otherwise be an alarmingly slobby appearance when i arrive unshowerd and unshaven at my local coffee shop at 7 am every morning. also it smells like sex.

as with all fragrances, ordering a sample from the perfumed court or surrender to chance is recommended

synthese

Postby bels » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:37 am

I want to get some odeur 71

Smell of dust on a Hot Light-Bulb, Warm Photocopier Toner, Hot Metal, A Toaster, Freshly Welded Aluminium, The Ink in a Fountain Pen, Fresh Pencil Shavings, Wood and Moss, Bay Leaves and Bamboo, White Pepper, Hyacinth, Lettuce Juice

bels
Yung Winona

Postby maj » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:03 am

went and tried on a bunch of toilet water the other week at selfridges as my birthday is coming up and everyone in my family hates buying me shit because they say i never want anything. gf suggested i look at the aftershave as i dont usually buy it myself because it's not a piece of outwear with a quirky print and to me most mens scents smell like how clubbing in TRAMPS on a saturday feels. after trying a few i was assured that my previous views were right, all the big names smelt very strong, i skipped the ever popular creeds as my mate on the fish counter (funny that eh?) loves them and gave me a few samples last year, not for me. tried on marjelly fireplace, at first i was like damn i smell like a 90's smoking lounge which is not what i wanted, but as it mellowed out it just ended up smelling like hollister.

then i found L'EAU D'ISSEY POUR HOMME by ISSEY MIYAKE, it was lemony and and such, smelt very fresh which i did enjoy. similar to flash kitchen cleaner on application? then it mellows out into a rather pleasant smell which someone on ~basenotes~ would describe as "citrus and aqua". not the most interesting scent in the world but v pleasant.

gf got me a bottle for valentines day, now the family is stumped once more!

Major General John "Hacks" Dunning (Viscount Windsor) aka peak angry nerd
maj

Postby Vaeltaja » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:34 am

I've been loving Blackbird Hallow, but I'm not huge in this game. I remember getting some EdP for pretty damn cheap.

I think I remember Lilith by Olympic Orchids, but I also know @Darfest hated it. Probably too flowery if I tried it again.

I have samples (probably lost 'them) of Wonderwood, Wonderoud, Amazingreen. I should buckle down and just buy Wonderwood, probably.

Wanna redneck? I'll do him an egg. NO SYMPY!
<Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
Vaeltaja

Postby chadnik » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:21 pm

It's really great when you sniff a note you thought you disliked and have your mind changed-blown in an instant. I had that happen recently with Maison Francis Kurkdjian's Lumiere Noire, with its narcissus. I haven't had a huge amount of experience with narcissus, but for some reason the ones I'd tried before had been dusty, toilet-at-the-Ritz antiques—really nauseating to me. This narcissus is none of those things: it is golden, indolent, warm, enveloping yet light; it's a shaft of hot sunlight on an already-warm day that hits you while you're relaxing on a couch with a silk pillow behind your head, and you don't need to be hotter to be more comfortable, but you welcome the extra heat nuzzling your scalp...

Plus, look how pretty this bottle is *_*

chadnik

Postby cormac » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:07 pm

I got some frankincense when I went to Israel/Jordan over winter break. It's solid object that i can rub on my wrists/neck. Does anyone know what season would best suit it? It's a fairly standard sweet citrus/bergamot/slightly spicy of frankincense.

I just started getting into fragrances last December. After researching what I would most like for a winter scent, I went with L'Occitane's Eau Des Beux, which I liked quite a bit. I also inherited Claiborne Curve from a stepbrother, and It's surprisingly pretty good for what it is and how I received it. I'm not sure where I actually want to go for the future, but I really like CDG Play Black.

cormac

Postby Stolsdos » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:07 am

Has anyone had any experience buying l'eau d'issey off of amazon? Quite a few reviewers are saying their bottles are fake :/ I just wanted to make sure because the price is really good(too good?)

Stolsdos

Postby synthese » Sat May 07, 2016 9:20 pm

Stolsdos wrote:Has anyone had any experience buying l'eau d'issey off of amazon? Quite a few reviewers are saying their bottles are fake :/ I just wanted to make sure because the price is really good(too good?)

I have heard both good and bad things about the fragrance scene on amazon. Frankly, I myself would be unlikely to risk it. Regardless of the product in question, "too good to be true" is often...exactly as it sounds.

Are you sure this is a scent you like? Have you ordered your samples from The Perfumed Court/Surrender to Chance? Just doing my due diligence here.

synthese

Postby synthese » Sat May 07, 2016 9:29 pm

I would like to take a moment to talk about Tam Dao, which is a sandalwood fragrance produced by Diptyque. Specifically, I would like to take a moment to talk about how ridiculously good it smells. This is a scent I had read about a great deal on the interwebz, but had never smelled until a female friend of mine wore it in my illustrious presence, at which point I expounded at great length on the topic of how ridiculously good she smelled, and she then furnished me with my own sample to enjoy (I plan to buy a bottle at some point in the near future).

If you are unfamiliar, Tam Dao is, as described by Dyptique, a scent featuring sandalwood, rosewood, and other things that smell like things you would probably like to smell like. I have never been to Tam Dao national park, but if the national park smells anything like this fragrance, that is a good thing - because I probably would not have left. Tam Dao smells like shirts unbuttoned one button more than is strictly necessary. Tam Dao smells like the morning after in a beautiful, tropical vacation bungalow; the kind that sits on an abandoned beach and is surrounded by large holes in the sand that you know belong to those creepy giant land crabs that only come out in the evening. Tam Dao smells like forests and oceans and clouds and fog and mystery and very comfortable bed sheets. And it is my opinion that Tam Dao is completely unisex. It is a very good smell.

I would suggest that toilet friends who are looking for an everyday fragrance take a moment to order a small sample of Tam Dao. At 90$ for 50mL, it is relatively affordable, and certainly worth the experiment if you are a fan of sandalwood (or if you're not sure if you're a fan of sandalwood, but you think you might be).

synthese

Postby dakaf_fal » Sun May 08, 2016 10:29 pm

I've been messing with a sample of L'artisan Timbuktu in an attempt to find a spicy scent suitable for warmer weather. Very interesting, but I don't find it very wearable. If Raiders of the Lost Ark had a scent, it would smell like Timbuktu. I'd probably like it better as a room spray or in a reed diffuser.

dakaf_fal

Postby shar pei » Mon May 09, 2016 12:08 am

been a while since i was on here and also been forever since i talked about scents so i'll just go in depth of what i was wearing in the past few months in regards to that!

this past fall and winter (2015) it was me playing around with more gourmand scents than usual, but i wish i got more into resins earlier :/
here's what i had on deck:
  • l'artisan parfumeur - noir exquis
    an extremely charming scent from which i'm told that the nose behind it was inspired by a moment of love at first sight at a cafe!!! smells a lot like coffee and pastries to me, so if you're into that kind of stuff then go for it! it develops to a creamier scent later on on myself, and i loved wearing this during the fall.
  • l'artisan parfumeur - traversee du bosphore
    originally got this because i heard that it was going to be temporarily out of print, but i ended up using this more than i thought i would...... it smells like candied apples, leather, and a few other things. very good as a party gimmick at the immense amounts of dinner parties and parties in general/large gatherings that happen during the fall cause whenever i walked by while wearing this, at least one person would ask where the turkish delight or candied apples were at the function
  • byredo perfumes - black saffron
    honestly this is the sexiest(!!!) scent that i've ever got (asked this as a gift too, had to get a wild card!), and pretty much inspired me to try and get into more spicy and sensual scents. loved to put this on in combination with noir exquis, basically turned a simple atmosphere of sweetness to a fetish bar ₍₍(꒪່ꇴ꒪່)⁾⁾

my spring (2016) rotation right now is
  • maison margiela replica - tea escape
    tbh this has to be my favorite scent of all time, i'm usually really stingy with how much i spray, but i've gone through a bottle and 3/4ths of it already ever since it came out (bought it when it first got released, never looked back). i love the earthy notes combined with the sweetness it has, at least, from what i perceive of it on me hahaa
  • maison margiela replica - lipstick on
    got this as a birthday gift to myself......it feels weird when i first spray it on but then it turns ridiculously SuBTLY SeXXXY on me i love that powdery note and tonka bean mm mmm mmmmmmm (honestly i think robbie uses it more than i do but it smells wonderful on him too so i'm good with that lmao)

summer's not going to be too different i hope!

and as for fall, i'm really considering getting byredo's 1996. got a whiff of it earlier at barney's and i'm smitten (also gotta rep my birth year ˚✧₊⁎( ˘ω˘ )⁎⁺˳✧༚ )

CHEERS
P
shar pei

Postby fun_yunchables » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:25 am

been slowly chipping away at this as an almost-daily

i've been pretty obsessed with mild bittersweet citrusy smells, eg grapefruit, pomelo, yuzu, and geranium leaf.

coolest lame guy u'll ever meet
fun_yunchables

Postby evilfriends » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:30 pm

Hello friends! :smile:

My grandma wants to get me something for christmas because I'm such a good grandson. I've been looking at Margiela fragrances lately and Beach Walk really caught my eye. From what I've read about it sounds like it would really be up my alley. The thing is, it's labeled as a female fragrance - I'm just wondering if it would be weird for me (being a guy) to wear it?

I have absolutely no knowledge at all about this kind of thing so any help is appreciated. My previous fragrances (like Comme des Garçons Amazingreen) have mostly been unisex. Maybe someone who really knows their shit around fragrances can suggest a unisex alternative to Beach Walk?

One of the (very few) downsides about living in a rural german wasteland is that most exotic fragrances other than the smell of hard work, coal mines and existential dread are quite hard to come by.

evilfriends

Postby Lorcan » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:25 pm

Today I'm trying out a sample Diptyque l'ombre dans l'eau which is love at first sniff. Cut-flower stems/florist shop smell, rose, plus something herbal? Its gorgeous anyhow. Probably feminine leaning (if you care about that kind of thing).

Also recently been trying CdG Odeur 53 an which has notes of
The Freshness of Oxygen, Flaming Rock, Freshly Mowed Grass, Wash Drying in the Wind, Sand Dunes, Pure Air of the High Mountains, Flash of Metal, Nail Polish.
I actually kinda get the sand, although I'm not sure I would have thought of it without reading the blurb. Also licorice all-sorts and cleaning fluid. Yes its kinda weird and very synthetic. I think I like it?

Lorcan

Postby bels » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:45 pm

evilfriends you should really find some perfumes to try out. Maybe take a trip to the big city and see what they have in the department store? Though I guess buying perfume based on text based descriptions is an exceedingly conceptually pure experience that you would think i would be in favour of.

lorcan I actually just took delivery of odeur 71 which I'd been planning to get for a while. It has notes of:

Smell of dust on a Hot Light-Bulb, Warm Photocopier Toner, Hot Metal, A Toaster, Freshly Welded Aluminium, The Ink in a Fountain Pen, Fresh Pencil Shavings, Wood and Moss, Bay Leaves and Bamboo, White Pepper, Hyacinth, Lettuce Juice

Really just the dust on a hot lightbulb image sold it for me. Shame it only comes in 200ml flasks because it seems a bit much.

I would say it definitely has that synthetic wood kind of smell. I like it because it doesn't necessarily suggest I want to smell nice.. just that I want to smell like something. Are there any other fragrances out there that just smell like "something" rather than "something good" ?

bels
Yung Winona

Postby dakaf_fal » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:54 pm

I've been messing around with a bunch of different samples lately. Today I'm wearing Serge Lutens Borneo 1834. I got it because I wanted a dirty, earthy scent with vegetal undertones. Unfortunately it's way too gourmand for me. While I can see how someone would describe this as earthy, I just smell loads of cocoa. There's a little underlying floral and patchouli as well, but I can't get over the fact that I smell like a mug of hot chocolate.

I've also tried Le Labo Oud 27, which is delightfully skanky and intoxicating. It's got a sour tang with a distinct wet fur scent and musky undertones. Also getting slight whiffs of ambergris and Vetiver, though I'm not sure I would have identified them without reading the scent notes. I probably like it so much because it's definitely not a crowd pleaser.

dakaf_fal

Postby odradek » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:22 pm

Arlight, sports friends, it's that time of year again:

Soapocalypse Winter 2016

This time I ordered exclusively from Kala. I liked the sea salt soap enough to give it another shot and just sort of ran down the line. They seem to stay in a pretty similar smell bandwidth.

GOD JUL Merry Christmas Soap - not convinced this isn't sea salt soap without the actual sea salt. Not sure how it suggests christmas, but the bar has a christmas tree milled out of the top and that's kind of cool.

Season Soap - a very warm soap. feels like a fir tree, but not with snow on it. A bit muddled, kind of like a scented candle store. I'd have to see how it sits on the skin.

Sea Aster soap - This shit smells like the beach. An east coast US beach before it gets too hot and too many tourists show up, but the water is still warm enough to swim in, but not for too long, so you run back up to the extravagant beach house you're renting with 18 friends, knowing a hurricane will destroy it in the next ten years but you feel pretty good now, so why worry?

Cabin Soap - Not sure what to make of this. Part hand soap in a nice restaurant's bathroom, part window display of a mall store selling the wilderness lifestyle. Fairly muted.

Volcanic Ash - Ad campaign for this would be a guy dressed like a viking bathing in a waterfall. There's something a little synthetic about it, like, as a negative to some of the nature smells at play here, like being in the changing room after doing the sauna-to-snow-to-sauna jump a few times and knowing you have to go back to work or something.

Sea Salt Soap - I just really like how this stuff smells. I bought a candle of the scent, too, so now my room can smell like it instead of just me out of the shower.

Overall, less pleased than last year's haul, but I came around to the shower with a friend stuff so I'm hoping I come around to some of these. Probably gonna regret not buying any Mistral soap, which i recommend highly, but there's always later.

odradek

Postby ramseames » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:30 pm

Try the Aesop bar next

Its like $25 or something but it's the size of a supreme brick and very nice

ramseames

Postby blanket » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:43 am

collected comme perfume reviews
basenote and fragrantica

Comme des Garcons 2
(wot i've been using, such a bizarre scent. i didn't love it immediately (i don't even know if i love it now) but it was so interesting i couldn't stop coming back)

Le_Coeur_Gothique Greece (all their reviews are phenomenal)

"Can I write with my tea and drink my ink?"

Its 1864. Colonel Lyle Oldershaw-Plaskitt is sitting in his dimly lighted small office, in his colonnial mansion, in the outskirts of Bangalore. He's about to start writing a letter, to inform the newly appointed Viceroy of India, Sir John Lawrence, Bt, that Bangalore's rail connection to Madras is finally completed and ready to operate. He realises, with a slight annoyance, that what is left in his inkwell is not going to suffice for more than a few words, and he silently curses himself for having failed to notice that his ink supply was that low. Unwilling to wait till morning, he decides to mix what ink is left with a dram of the strong tea he's drinking, hoping that the Viceroy will excuse this slight inappropriateness. Before being able to write down even a single word, he's utterly surprised (an extremely rare situation for a stiff upper lip British senior officer) by a heavenly smell that seems to arise from his inkwell. As close to mesmerised as a soldier of his stature could be, he slowly puts his Gillott's nib down, and reaches for the inkwell.

Spoiler:
Next afternoon, with his skin a little darker than usual, he enters the country club, to be greeted by Brigadier Eugene Boulstridge-Smythe, who turns from glad to amazed within five seconds of standing next to him.

"Goodness gracious me Lyle, you smell divine! Any good old Atkinsons new stuff? And how on earth did you get a tan since yesterday?"

Colonel Lyle Oldershaw-Plaskitt smiles complacently and drinks a sip of his whisky.

"You shall see old friend, you shall see..."

Colonel Lyle Oldershaw-Plaskitt perished during a storm four days later en route to Ceylon, where he was heading for purchasing an unusual for an individual quantity of tea. His order of three firkins of Indian ink was already on its way, but he failed to receive them due to his untimely demise. His comrades mourned and honoured their distinguished fellow countryman with all respect, and in his memoirs, then General Eugene Boulstridge-Smythe didn't forget to mention, besides all other attributes, that Colonel Lyle Oldershaw-Plaskitt was the best-smelling man he had ever met, and what a pity it was that this magnificent and absolutely unique scent of his was sadly lost for ever under the waves surrounding Adam's Bridge.

Until one year before the new millennium, when a France-based Japanese lady, obviously not giving a damn about what people would think of such a concoction, reinvented it...

P.S.: Call me a madman if you please, but to my nose (which I'm the first to admit that it's not to be taken very seriously), and despite the fact that they barely share a couple of notes, this has a very strong resemblance to Azzaro's Acteur...

Le_Coeur_Gothique on Givenchy III
A cherished nightmare...

I don't know about you, but for me the most mysterious and enthralling place in the house I grew up, was always my mother's chiffonier. Everything on it looked like it came straight from a fairy tale, or from the far-flung palaces of the Far East. Especially the small collection of her perfumes. I was totally convinced there was a genie living in one of the bottles, waiting to grant my wish and make me a grown-up in no time. All I had to do was finding out in which one it dwelled. So one of my most daredevil antics was to secretly infiltrate my parents' bedroom and dab myself with whatever was lying within my reach. My "commando" tacticts were of course immediately exposed upon exiting the room, cause the monsters my mother was keeping in there were traitorous enough to give me away every single time.

My mother was always giving me funny looks after each accomplished mission, but I fancied they were about my glasses being dirty or my hair being uncombed.

Until one accursed Saturday evening, a huge 240ml splash bottle of Givenchy III decided it had enough of abuse, and tried to kill itself by falling from my hands. It failed. I dont know if you've ever handled such a bottle, but rest assured its glass is thick enough to stop a bullet. My mother came flying upon hearing the thud and found me aghast, with the golden stopper still in my hand, watching half of the golden soul of Givenchy III escaping its body and speading on the floor. The other half was already spilled on my clothes. Although I was sure a legendary chiding was seconds away from being yelled at poor me, she didn't say a word. What she did however, was leaving me with the perfume reeking clothes on for the rest of the weekend. Till Sunday night I was 1000% sure that I would prefer having my 8 years old butt kicked and be spared the olfactory torture. It felt like I was tied for ages with mossy ropes to an oak, while green devils wearing gardenia leis were frenziedly dancing all around me, poking me with pointy sandalwood sticks and throwing orris roots (with all the dirt still attached) on my face. I was seriously pondering over begging my mother for a beating in exchange of a bath. But not being stoical enough, I just asked for the bath. She replied "Why? I love the way you smell!".

Amnesty was finally granted at late Sunday night. I felt like a sinner been cleansed from all his wrongdoing. After she scrubbed me redder than a beetroot, my mother left me standing ecstatic in the bathtub and went to bring a towel. When she came back and approached me I threw my hands happily around her neck in order to kiss her and show her my gratitude. Imagine my horror upon realising that she was the one reeking with Givenchy III now...

Many years later I found a very old 60ml splash bottle of Givenchy III in a tiny backstreet shop. I guess the nice lady behind the desk is still wondering what my huge smile while buying it was all about...

thecheekyscamp United Kingdom
Once upon a time, a biro exploded in my schoolbag. CdG2 very accurately depicts the smell of my maths book when I extracted it from my bag.

Avignon
(the one i love most among the incense series)

ramin1215 Iran
The Raising of Lazarus
Rembrandt 1630-32

Spoiler:
and a later etching, 1642

AlHamr United Kingdom
...This is less the Avignon of the Western Schism, more the Basingstoke of the protestant one, and reminds me of Eddie Izzard's take on the improbability of Church of England fundamentalism: "You must have tea and cake with the vicar or you DIE!"; "CAKE OR DEATH?!"

Hinoki

desordenado
After six months or so he has ceased to cause me such irritation that caused the original. Of course for me it will never become neither Laurel or Sugi, but here's what I think about it now: сold, straight, fragrance without revealing, reminiscent of rain in a clean, coniferous forest, falling on the mossy leaf ground. Tears in the spring forest. But I will not wear it in the summer. His time - autumn and warm winter. For some reason this perfume brings me some sense of sadness. Perhaps it whispers something medical. Camphor is actively presented. Camphor is sad too.

Today (16.06.2016) rather cloudy, but warm (22-24 degree Celsius) and wet day; I decided to put Hinoki. Well, what I say is pretty good. Comfortable and fresh for me. He brings moist air around you as the raw atmosphere just past the rain in swampy or pine forest. Sitting close to the skin. Do not shout even with abundant application.

blanket

Postby bels » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:58 am

Through various corporate connections I've been awarded with some pot pourri from Santa Maria Novella

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/03/27/trave ... pothecary/

I've dumped it into my white tshirt drawer and it rules. I recommend this concept

bels
Yung Winona

Postby dakaf_fal » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:40 pm

I'm going to continue monopolizing this thread to talk about Serge Lutens. This time it's going to be Gris Clair.

The opening makes me gag, it's an overpoweringly powdery lavender. It smells very traditional and very feminine, like something your grandmother might wear. There's also an underlying 'fresh' scent which smells sort of like dryer sheets. Or maybe a Yankee Candle Co. candle with a name like mountain breeze or fresh linen or cool water.

Things begin to get a little more interesting in the drydown. The lavender is still there, but there's also a distinct odor of ozone and burning electrical components. I've never smelled burning dryer sheets, but this is how I'd imagine they would smell. This makes me very uneasy, I keep catching whiffs of it throughout the day and have to repeatedly remind myself that nothing is on fire. I also think the fresh lavender opening has much more projection than the burning smell, which is pretty interesting. I like the idea that other people smell flowers while I'm smelling melting fuses.

Eventually the burning smell subsides. There's still hints of the fresh scent from the opening, but it's a sterile cleanliness. It smells ashen and cold, like a fire that's long since gone out.

While this is a truly impressive fragrance, I don't find it very wearable. It is in no way soothing, rather it's exhausting to wear since it demands your attention. I might use it again on occasion because I enjoy smelling weird, but this could never be a daily scent. Still, I would recommend it to anyone who likes experimental scents or wants some serious lifestyle synergy with their cyberpunk fits.

dakaf_fal

Postby popcorn » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:17 pm

I was trying to figure out where i should start with perfume, and my banter with a friend led to her telling me Tim Hecker actually *has* done a perfume.

Here's one of many articles about the project.
Ephemera presents olfactory compositions based on musical resonances and reverberations....In the first phase of the project, three musicians – Ben Frost, Tim Hecker, and Steve Goodman (aka Kode9) – created raw sonic material which Schoen then reinterpreted to create three different scents: Noise, Drone and Bass. These scents and sounds are now used in an installation environment, and also encapsulated as unique perfumes.

Kinda clunky that they're named Noise, Drone, and Bass but other than that this is the kind of collaboration I can get behind. And now I know I want citrus and air notes.

Here's the teaser video with an except from a (uncharacteristically soft) composition Tim Hecker did for the installation.

popcorn

Postby bels » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:18 pm

Does anyone make a perfume that smells like aeroplane bathrooms?

bels
Yung Winona

Postby tttigre » Wed May 10, 2017 3:02 pm

this isn't actually toilet water but i have reasons i'll post this here anyway.

aesop spray deodorant

recently i've reached peak booj and now i'm a big aesop fan. hand soap, lotion, conditioner, body wash, deodorant. it's a whole thing. it all smells really good.

this deodorant initially surprised me because it isn't also an antiperspirant, which is something i should have realized. in my opinion, that makes it a little more like your run of the mill cologne, because it's essentially spray-on fragrance. the fragrance itself is also fairly complex and does not have that chemical-freshness smell that most deodorants have, but smells quite organic and natural. i think the one i've got is coriander seed and vetiver root, so you smell like that. to me, it's a quite unobtrusive and emotional scent, which is not necessarily evocative of typical 'freshness' or 'cleanliness' but rather of nature, or being outside in general. it reminds me of that interesting earthiness of the visvim room spray i had (no. 1, FIL). i would consider it unisex.

anyway, i've never been a cologne guy at all but i quite like this stuff, and i see it thusly as "cologne-sort-of-thing-for-people-who-don't-want-cologne". to me, it helps me smell not like typical deodorant, but also doesn't make me smell too much like anything else. make sure to pair it with fragrance-less antiperspirant.

@Ques i also initially thought that but i turned out to be misguided. maybe i'm just a sweatier than average fellow but it turned out sweat can definitely pierce deodorant

Last edited by tttigre on Thu May 11, 2017 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
若者文化
tttigre

Postby dakaf_fal » Wed May 10, 2017 6:46 pm

@tttigre

Would you recommend the Visvim room spray? I've heard that No. 1 is considered the best, but I've never seen it in store to test it and I hate to blind buy fragrances. On the other hand, I like all things Visvim and niche fragrances and bougie home goods, so I feel like I'm the target audience for this.

dakaf_fal

Postby tttigre » Thu May 11, 2017 11:47 am

@dakaf_fal

i would recommend the room spray, but emphasize trying to get it at japan msrp or a secondhand price. probably not worth any markup or the proxy price, but n.b. i may also not place as much value into these type of things as others. i have seen them occasionally available on grailed/ebay so hopefully that option is there.

no. 1 is the best. it's been years since i tried them all but i remember thinking it was the runaway favorite.

若者文化
tttigre

PreviousNext

Return to Tags