Random Rhetorical Hypebeast Fashion Thoughts

Clothes

Re: ramdom fashion thoughts

Postby eskdc » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:51 pm

My style's starting to coalesce into this weird mix of heritage Americana and mid-90's hip hop

So...basically I'm turning Japanese

eskdc

Postby teck » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:25 pm

Just went to my local urban outfitters as part of my weekly cheap thrills shopping ritual. they've got a whole new shopping section/department/line called Without Walls -- presumably an attempt to capitalize on the health and nature-loving millennial target. the line is composed of colorful exercise apparel pieces a la Lululemon, but also includes a curation of outdoor/exercise brands such as Patagonia (so normcore), Columbia, Asics, and Nike. Prices seem a bit steep (some Without Walls running shorts I saw ran about $35) but the prints are very eye-catching (looking at you, LMFAO).

teck

Postby pips » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:11 am

I'm thinking of mixing some light blue in my wardrobe (partly because I'm bored, but mostly because of these photos from Tibi)

but I actually haven't worn blue jeans in years.

pips

Postby maj » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:48 pm

cant wait till a brit inspired brand makes a inspired version of the leavers hoody, also wish the one i have wasn't bright pink.

should get some ct ones to commemorate a year of existence.

Major General John "Hacks" Dunning (Viscount Windsor) aka peak angry nerd
maj

Postby hooplah » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:03 pm

comme des garcons encapsulated how monday feels

hooplah

Postby JonjoShelvey » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:39 pm

heckawheel wrote:I really want to achieve a more consistent style/aesthetic like other people on here.

I don't even feel like I can make a proper flintstone album.

why do you care?

JonjoShelvey

Postby kyung » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:55 pm

uniqlo knows where the money's at

KIMCHI SLAP

_( :⁍ 」 )_
kyung

Postby hmwut » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:45 pm

(oop wrong thread plz move to ramdom thoughts or delete)

hmwut

Postby BobbyZamora » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:30 am

Did anyone else catch Kanye's DIY band-collar shirt on Seth Meyers earlier this week?

B)
BobbyZamora

Postby Runningshoes » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:46 pm

kyung wrote:Image

uniqlo knows where the money's at

Do u think they would let me put tricky ricks mug on one

Runningshoes

Postby Ampere » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:19 pm

stop trying to make tricky rick happen

Ampere

Postby rublev » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:34 pm

American Apparel regular fit 100 jeans are pretty good. Just got the stone washed black and i'm really impressed. Haven't bought anything from there in a while... but yeah. Denim is pretty thick and sturdy, almost like vintage levis. Really good wash. Fit is tapered but not skinny. Quite a short inseam. I can post a fit pic if anyone is interested.

If you sign up for the newsletter you get 15% off and if you stick your birthday in you get a 30% code as a present (which i did). Turns out to be a decent deal and better than any other washed denim i've seen around for £50.

rublev
Political Editor

Postby rublev » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:55 pm

dammit i've been after this OL shirt for years and it finally crops up on ebay and i went to bid on it but ebay had signed me out???? like i didn't have time to sign back in the page wouldn't load and then it went for way less than i would have paid :((((

i actually have the red version of this and it's my fave summer shirt. I cut the collar off it last summer and i got so much more wear out of it. 100% linen with quite an open weave... feels quite coarse... crinkles so well, and back when OL sizing was weird and cool so it's really boxy. URGH.

rublev
Political Editor

Postby insted » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:46 am

it fucking sucks living in a city without any humble / independently owned clothing shops. i have two department stores for designer clothing and i've never been to either of them. everything designer i own is copped via e-g, grailed, quepasa, sufu / styleforum market places, etc.

i want to actually walk into somewhere and approach the piece, admire it, try it out, try and foster a relationship with it before i actually buy it.

i joined no cop thread and i think i'm going to just save save save for a while and hajj for new york. see opening ceremony with my own eyes. i think eventually we'll get something more down to earth but this city as a whole needs to learn how to express themselves (edit: i realize that sounds really tacky and judgemental, but what i mean is that my city is saturated with a lot of 20 somethings that do a LOT of shopping at urban outfitters and thrift stores and end up all looking like derivatives of each other) first and stop fucking with urban outfitters and gaudy "cultural" thrifted clothing. i was purging all my bullshit at a local buffalo exchange and the girl inspecting picked up a shit H&M sweater and was like "oh yea this is a really hot brand right now, these sell really well"

H&M and zara are also both very very popular here. i think people just don't really know any better.

insted

Postby starfox64 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:19 am

insted wrote:H&M and zara are also both very very popular here. i think people just don't really know any better.

fast fashion brands are popular everywhere. that's why the zara dude is a billionaire.

anyway, i think you might be overreacting slightly. it's great to support local stores and be able to handle stuff and try it on, but at the same time stuff is generally significantly cheaper online.

also, if you think that OC is going to be some like mecca of awesomeness, you may be slightly disappointed.

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."
starfox64

Postby insted » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:25 am

starfox64 wrote:fast fashion brands are popular everywhere. that's why the zara dude is a billionaire.

anyway, i think you might be overreacting slightly. it's great to support local stores and be able to handle stuff and try it on, but at the same time stuff is generally significantly cheaper online.

also, if you think that OC is going to be some like mecca of awesomeness, you may be slightly disappointed.

while i agree with you, this also sounds like you have the luxury of an option, which makes your perspective very very different from mine. also i really appreciate the genesis of OC and it's more of a cultural icon to me (and others I'm sure) than just a store to buy clothes at.

of course fast fashion brands are popular everywhere, too; it doesn't make me any less uncomfortable knowing i have several huge incantations of them in my home city.

insted

Postby bhajz » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:01 am

It's such a bummer when you really love a runway show, and then the collection drops in store and you don't like any of it (I'm looking at you Phillip Lim)

bhajz

Postby sid3000 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:10 am

It's nice to look forward to a mecca store as long as you dont hype it up in your head too much. I think DSM would be more of an experience than OC, but OC may have more of that humility/down-to-earth-factor thing youre looking for? Idk. I like the one in LA a lot.

sid3000

Postby ramseames » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:29 am

insted wrote:
H&M and zara are also both very very popular here. i think people just don't really know any better.

they're popular because they're cheap, and most people don't want to/can't (and shouldn't) spend much on clothes. should be really obvious

also anything more fashion-y than faux workwear brands would stand out in a bad way in Winnipeg, its got a reasonable population but its not really cosmopolitan at all.

ramseames

Postby insted » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:39 am

ramseames wrote:they're popular because they're cheap, and most people don't want to/can't (and shouldn't) spend much on clothes. should be really obvious

again, i've been quoted twice getting the impression you think i don't know why those stores have such massive popularity. i understand why, i'm saying it is fucking wack.

i don't necessarily agree that people shouldn't spend much on clothes... we used to in earlier generations. we would spend way more on a garment, and treat it that way - like a garment. it was common for something to last a generation. there wasn't (as much of) a ubiquitous tendency to overconsume, but people definitely were spending a lot more money than most do now (that shop at fast fashion stores at least.) things would last longer, they were treated with respect, it was a very utilitarian relationship. now i haven't bought anything new in a while, and i only really see myself doing so if i save up for ervell's f/w and break my no cop for something, but i definitely spend more per item than i would at an H&M even buying something used - which teaches me to respect and care for the piece. i'm only 22 years old so it's very special that i even get to handle some of the pieces i've earned.

wow ok TL;DR - spending considerable amounts of money on clothes is ok imo if you are treating them and yourself with respect and not just consuming for the sake of consumption.

insted

Postby ramseames » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:52 am

insted wrote:again, i've been quoted twice getting the impression you think i don't know why those stores have such massive popularity. i understand why, i'm saying it is fucking wack.

i don't necessarily agree that people shouldn't spend much on clothes... we used to in earlier generations. we would spend way more on a garment, and treat it that way - like a garment. it was common for something to last a generation. there wasn't (as much of) a ubiquitous tendency to overconsume, but people definitely were spending a lot more money than most do now (that shop at fast fashion stores at least.) things would last longer, they were treated with respect, it was a very utilitarian relationship.

Dude the reason people are spending less on clothes is because everything else costs way fucking more. >50% (could be more even I don't know the statistics) of people's incomes goes just to housing+transportation. And its all getting more expensive, and for most people at a higher rate than their income is growing. Obviously there are reasons why zara/f21/uniqlo are so cheap that aren't great but the fact that you can keep up with mainstream fashion and not spend much at all is really cool.

that being said I spend $$$$ relative to the average person my age but that's A because I have a job that's not typical and B because its a hobby of mine but that doesn't at any point mean that I think everyone needs to do the same thing.

ramseames

Postby nick » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:10 pm

insted wrote:wow ok TL;DR - spending considerable amounts of money on clothes is ok imo if you are treating them and yourself with respect and not just consuming for the sake of consumption.

this is very confusing. if you're not consuming for "sake of consumption" (ie buying things because you think it'd be cool to own them) what else would you be consuming for? necessity? if so, why not just shop at walmart and save cash?

I think the reason why we constantly see discussions of this manner pop up is that online fashion tends to be a constant feedback loop of post-purchase rationalization. people influenced by others buying clothes out of their means, then proceed to evangelize their purchases in order to provide them with a greater feeling in value, in turn influencing others, repeat, repeat. this is a problem with overly consumer discussions and a good reason perhaps to attempt to shy away from them.

when you spend huge chunks of your paycheck on certain pieces you get this notion that they should be worshipped, that they should be tended. caring for your clothes is good. but sometimes a sneaker is just a sneaker, a jacket is just a jacket.

nick
Eminent Eminem

Postby agvs » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:17 pm

The best clothes are the expensive clothes that you can treat like cheap clothes.

agvs

Postby maj » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:37 pm

Buying shit is the absolute worst part of fashion, if we could set up a wardrobe share/communal wardrobe so I don't have to buy shit to see if I like it, would be amaze. Like one of those teen flicks where they borrow each other's shit for a night out, except on the internet, with strangers, and all over the world, for weeks at a time. This would be my utopian society.

Major General John "Hacks" Dunning (Viscount Windsor) aka peak angry nerd
maj

Postby ramseames » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:40 pm

I would be a part of that startup

ramseames

Postby insted » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:25 pm

nick wrote:
insted wrote:wow ok TL;DR - spending considerable amounts of money on clothes is ok imo if you are treating them and yourself with respect and not just consuming for the sake of consumption.

this is very confusing. if you're not consuming for "sake of consumption" (ie buying things because you think it'd be cool to own them) what else would you be consuming for? necessity? if so, why not just shop at walmart and save cash?

I think the reason why we constantly see discussions of this manner pop up is that online fashion tends to be a constant feedback loop of post-purchase rationalization. people influenced by others buying clothes out of their means, then proceed to evangelize their purchases in order to provide them with a greater feeling in value, in turn influencing others, repeat, repeat. this is a problem with overly consumer discussions and a good reason perhaps to attempt to shy away from them.

when you spend huge chunks of your paycheck on certain pieces you get this notion that they should be worshipped, that they should be tended. caring for your clothes is good. but sometimes a sneaker is just a sneaker, a jacket is just a jacket.

do not agree with this. there are a myriad of reasons why shopping at walmart contradicts exactly what you said (ie promoting of slave labor, monolithic and destructive capitalist tendencies, etc.) that would exactly be consuming for the sake of consumption - reducing the product to a commodity.

i agree with the feedback loop you mentioned, i think you're arguing for the sake of arguing? i didn't bring up anything that should be controversial in a forum like this, i'm merely suggesting that it's ok to treat clothing as an asset, it's ok to want to spend more on a piece and carry it with you through life. i'm not talking about worshiping anything, and i definitely believe that there is more to the act of buying an article of clothing than just "consumption", i would bet many others feel that way too. when you go and buy from a farmer's market you're not just "consuming" their food, you're fostering a relationship with your community and promoting a more personalized transaction of goods and services.

people are trying to correct me on points i haven't necessarily made, and often i am agreeing with you, so not sure what the debate is about anymore really

insted

Postby insted » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:38 pm

ramseames wrote:
insted wrote:again, i've been quoted twice getting the impression you think i don't know why those stores have such massive popularity. i understand why, i'm saying it is fucking wack.

i don't necessarily agree that people shouldn't spend much on clothes... we used to in earlier generations. we would spend way more on a garment, and treat it that way - like a garment. it was common for something to last a generation. there wasn't (as much of) a ubiquitous tendency to overconsume, but people definitely were spending a lot more money than most do now (that shop at fast fashion stores at least.) things would last longer, they were treated with respect, it was a very utilitarian relationship.

Dude the reason people are spending less on clothes is because everything else costs way fucking more. >50% (could be more even I don't know the statistics) of people's incomes goes just to housing+transportation. And its all getting more expensive, and for most people at a higher rate than their income is growing. Obviously there are reasons why zara/f21/uniqlo are so cheap that aren't great but the fact that you can keep up with mainstream fashion and not spend much at all is really cool.

that being said I spend $$$$ relative to the average person my age but that's A because I have a job that's not typical and B because its a hobby of mine but that doesn't at any point mean that I think everyone needs to do the same thing.

yea, i know that. who is trying to keep up with mainstream fashion? i see this subculture of clothing enthusiasts as more than trend followers. that's why i don't like those stores. it changes the mentality of buying clothing to "well i need x amount of these shirts, x amount of these socks, x amount of these pants, which i can get all at uniqlo because they're so cheap" and i think that's really destructive both mentally and environmentally. all of these materials are used and spent to make excess product that no one really "needs" (in terms of the excess.) the sheer scale of these companies allow them to operate and sell product for so cheap because of the exploitation of labor and resources - which are both BAD things. meanwhile their execs get massively rich and we end up spending almost just as much as we would on quality locally produced clothing, but on many smaller and less significant pieces that we are convinced me need because of price point and accessibility.

really i thought this was pretty much understood by everyone, and that's why we post on specialized boards concerning clothing. we're a niche market that care about quality and the context of what we purchase in a broader sense - buying artisan is to support the craft of the artisan, allowing the tradition to continue. if you can't spend the kind of money you'd like on the clothes you like, you shouldn't just fill the void with a bunch of cheap bullshit.

and i'm not saying if you can't afford designer clothing that you need not buy clothing at all - obviously you need clothes. i'm saying there isn't anything wrong or out of the ordinary with demanding more value out of your product in terms of quality, cultural significance, origin, etc.

insted

Postby ramseames » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:37 pm

insted wrote:and i'm not saying if you can't afford designer clothing that you need not buy clothing at all - obviously you need clothes. i'm saying there isn't anything wrong or out of the ordinary with demanding more value out of your product in terms of quality, cultural significance, origin, etc.

No but you're arguing that there's something inherently better about it than just going to qlo every six weeks which is kinda fucked up.

ramseames

Postby insted » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:42 pm

ramseames wrote:
insted wrote:and i'm not saying if you can't afford designer clothing that you need not buy clothing at all - obviously you need clothes. i'm saying there isn't anything wrong or out of the ordinary with demanding more value out of your product in terms of quality, cultural significance, origin, etc.

No but you're arguing that there's something inherently better about it than just going to qlo every six weeks which is kinda fucked up.

why are you going to qlo every six weeks and i guess i am but i'm not being combative like you're suggesting

insted

Postby ramseames » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:00 pm

I'm not but that's all some people can afford and I think its verging on classism to suggest that doing so is < spending $$$.

ramseames

PreviousNext

Return to Tags