Clothes

Re: random fashion thoughts

Postby CheerUpBrokeBoy » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:39 pm

just saw scott schuman trying to ride a bike on the sidewalk

CheerUpBrokeBoy

Postby mike868y » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:00 pm

does the care tags podcast still exist?

wtb: xs EG navy tropical wool andover, grey wool hartford jacket, wool glen check andover, brown cord andover, b2b in brown/navy twill plaid, sz8.5 yuteken peanut suede/crepe sole loafers, size 27/28 unis gio skinny
mike868y

Postby ramseames » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:34 am

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/09/busin ... .html?_r=1

Douglas Tompkins, 72, North Face Founder, Dies in Kayaking Accident

Douglas Tompkins, a noted conservationist and the founder of the clothing brands North Face and Esprit, died on Tuesday after a kayaking accident on General Carrera Lake in the Patagonia region of southern Chile. He was 72.

His death was confirmed by Coyhaique Regional Hospital, where Mr. Tompkins was flown with severe hypothermia.

The health service in the Aysén administrative region said Mr. Tompkins was boating with five others when their kayaks capsized. Mr. Tompkins died in the intensive care unit of the hospital in Coyhaique, a town more than 1,000 miles south of Santiago.

Chile’s army said strong waves on the lake caused the group’s kayaks to capsize. A military patrol boat rescued three of the boaters, and a helicopter lifted out the other three, it said. No one else was seriously injured.

According to an interview given by a local prosecutor, Pedro Salgado, to radio Bío Bío, the lake is known for unpredictable weather conditions. Mr. Salgado said that Mr. Tompkins had spent “considerable amount of time in waters under 4 degrees Celsius,” or under 40 degrees Fahrenheit.

A lifelong outdoorsman, Mr. Tompkins made his fortune in retailing, but would later shun the business world to pursue his passion for nature and conservationism.

“He flew airplanes, he climbed to the top of mountains all over the world,” said his daughter Summer Tompkins Walker. “To have lost his life in a lake and have nature just sort of gobble him up is just shocking.”

Douglas Rainsford Tompkins was born March 20, 1943, in Ohio. The family briefly lived in New York City before settling in Millbrook in the Hudson Valley.

He began rock climbing at age 12 in the Shawangunk Mountains, and by age 15 was skiing and climbing mountains during family trips to Wyoming, according to the 2009 book “Eco Barons: The Dreamers, Schemers, and Millionaires Who Are Saving Our Planet.”

Mr. Tompkins attended Connecticut’s Pomfret School, but never finished and did not attend college, according to Tom Butler, a spokesman for an environmental group, the Foundation for Deep Ecology, that Mr. Tompkins founded in 1990.

Instead, he set off in search of adventure. At age 17, he headed to Colorado, working in Aspen and squirreling away money for a year before flying to Europe to ski the Alps. He then traipsed through the Andes and South America until his money ran out in 1962, forcing him to return to the United States for work.

Mr. Tompkins founded the North Face as a small ski and backpacking retail shop in San Francisco’s North Beach neighborhood in the mid-1960s, and helped forge the company’s mantra, “Never Stop Exploring.”

“Doug was a passionate advocate for the environment, and his legacy of conservation will help ensure that there are outdoor spaces to be explored for generations to come,” the company said in a statement. The global apparel company VF Corporation purchased the North Face in 2000.

Mr. Tompkins eventually landed near Tahoe City, Calif., where he worked in the ski lodges and started his first business, the California Mountaineering Service. Mr. Tompkins would sometimes hitchhike, and was picked up by a young woman who would later become his wife.

“There wasn’t anything we were afraid of, there wasn’t anything we couldn’t figure out how to do,” said Susie Tompkins Buell, who was married to Mr. Tompkins from 1964 until 1989. “It was just an open book of adventure.”

The pair started selling “plain Jane” dresses out of a station wagon, along with a third co-founder, Jane Tise. That business would later become the multibillion-dollar retailer Esprit.

Known for its casual sportswear and lifestyle clothing, Esprit found success in the 1980s that would fuel much of the conservation work that occupied Mr. Tompkins for much of his working life. But by 1990, he had grown disillusioned with the corporate world, and sold his stake in Esprit for what was reported as more than $150 million.

Mr. Tompkins and Ms. Buell eventually separated, but remained in touch even after Mr. Tompkins and his second wife, Kristine, a former chief executive of the clothing company Patagonia, moved to South America. They split their time between homes in Chile and Argentina, Mr. Butler said, and concentrated their conservation efforts in both countries.

The vast, remote expanses of southern Chile, facing numerous ecological threats from human activity like logging, seemed to offer major opportunities for the type of large-scale conservation that inspired the husband-and-wife team.

Mr. Tompkins used his vast fortune to buy roughly 2.2 million acres of land through his various conservation groups, Mr. Butler said. That included Pumalín Park, one of the world’s largest private parks, protecting 715,000 acres of rain forest that stretches from the Pacific Ocean to the Andes Mountains. It is named in honor of the pumas that roam the park’s virgin forests.

He had been working on creating new parks in Patagonia and in the Iberá wetlands in northeastern Argentina.

He was given many environmental awards, but his efforts were not immune to criticism. According to a 2012 profile in Earth Island Journal, his land purchases and outspoken opposition to salmon farming and dam construction drew criticism from many Chileans and Argentines, who worried that the American’s vast holdings threatened their national sovereignty and stunted economic development.

“We want to do something good, but you’ve got to be very naïve and out to lunch to think that certain sectors of society are not going to put up resistance,” Mr. Tompkins once told The New York Times. “If you’re not willing to take the political heat, then you shouldn’t get into the game of land conservation, especially on a large scale.”

In addition to his wife and Ms. Walker, Mr. Tompkins is survived by his mother, Faith, his brother, John, and daughter Quincey Tompkins Imhoff.

RIP

gonna wear my pointFive tomorrow and stay very dry

ramseames

Postby bottlebrush » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:17 am

what did you wear for your graduation
i am curious

bottlebrush

Postby Syeknom » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:05 am

My graduation photo has me in full gown, cap, tie gettup brandishing my diploma in hands festooned with five chunky silver rings.

Syeknom

Postby ASTROCHIMP » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:31 am

Here's what you've got to do.

I'll stop wearing black when they invent a darker color.

Check out my shit tumblr.
http://idreamoftheapocalypse.tumblr.com/
Also consider checking out my music.
https://soundcloud.com/garbagepail
Follow me.
https://twitter.com/youresleeping
ASTROCHIMP

Postby trasparenti » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:37 am

Visited an amazing fabric factory near Gifu today. this place is incredible. Pics comin sooner or later on my blog. They've supplied fabric for tons of brands - CDG (repeat customer for three decades), Issey, CCP, MA+, CA4LA, Jil Sander, Arts & Science/Bergfabel, and so on. Still, they're a fairly small operation considering their client base. I touched so much fabric. It was amazing. Life changing, really.

Spoiler:
I was talking to my friend who drove us out there about possibilities and he mentioned that I should introduce this textile factory to independent Western designers and act as a liason between English-speakers and the Japanese factory. The factory does a lot of things bigger companies don't do - it's a small, personal business (they generally seal their deals with a handshake rather than a contract, tho I'm sure Western labels would prefer the latter) which means complete control over their supply chain and output, the ability to place small, affordable orders, and all-natural, organic textiles. Not to mention, ridiculous work ethic. On top of that, you get high-quality fabric was sourced from Japan. All in all, I think there's a lot going for it, and I wanna pursue this idea. Not for money, really - I'd get paid a small commission from the factory per order, and nothing from Western labels - but moreso because I believe in quality garments and independent designers. Western designers get access to extremely nice textiles, the factory gets more business, and I get to help make garms. Everyone wins.

So I guess the question is: who are some designers I should email to test the waters with? I'm going to try and compile some samples in a small book and then ask some companies if they'd like some swatches. I'll sit down and make a list of brands to email when I have time but if anyone has ideas I'd love to hear them

trasparenti
Japanese Correspondent

Postby Julio » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:49 am

^i don't really know who you could talk to, tbh? at least for western designers... but i could think of a few people who might be interested to source with your help, maybe.

re: fabrics & japanese designers
I seem to recall something on sufu c/o djraijo (did i spell that right? that guy behind sawhney or however that's spelled--cool stuff but i'm really forgetful sometimes) and he was talking about how a lot of the couture houses in japan source fabrics from one mill or they all have the same suppliers; something like that?
but anyway. i seem to recall him saying kolor was one of the few if not only houses in japan that manufactures everything from start to finish: they produce their own fabrics, essentially? just an interesting little anecdote i guess. might try to dig that post back up sooner or later as djraijo (djrajio???) is clearly informed and in the relevant spheres to discuss such things properly

Julio

Postby kyung » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:59 am

KIMCHI SLAP

_( :⁍ 」 )_
kyung

Postby oucho » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:05 pm

trasparenti wrote:Visited an amazing fabric factory near Gifu today. this place is incredible. Pics comin sooner or later on my blog. They've supplied fabric for tons of brands - CDG (repeat customer for three decades), Issey, CCP, MA+, CA4LA, Jil Sander, Arts & Science/Bergfabel, and so on. Still, they're a fairly small operation considering their client base. I touched so much fabric. It was amazing. Life changing, really.

Spoiler:
I was talking to my friend who drove us out there about possibilities and he mentioned that I should introduce this textile factory to independent Western designers and act as a liason between English-speakers and the Japanese factory. The factory does a lot of things bigger companies don't do - it's a small, personal business (they generally seal their deals with a handshake rather than a contract, though I'm sure Western labels would prefer the latter) which means complete control over their supply chain and output, the ability to place small, affordable orders, and all-natural, organic textiles. Not to mention, ridiculous work ethic. On top of that, you get high-quality fabric was sourced from Japan. All in all, I think there's a lot going for it, and I wanna pursue this idea. Not for money, really - I'd get paid a small commission from the factory per order, and nothing from Western labels - but moreso because I believe in quality garments and independent designers. Western designers get access to extremely nice textiles, the factory gets more business, and I get to help make garms. Everyone wins.

So I guess the question is: who are some designers I should email to test the waters with? I'm going to try and compile some samples in a small book and then ask some companies if they'd like some swatches. I'll sit down and make a list of brands to email when I have time but if anyone has ideas I'd love to hear them

@trasparenti Call up whatever brands you think may be interested and try to get the email/number of whoever you need to speak to specifically at the company. If you want to take it the extra mile ask if you can drop by their office and show them a swatchbook/talk about the factory. I would like a swatchbook to be honest.

oucho

Postby bels » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:15 pm

mike868y wrote:does the care tags podcast still exist?

@iliam
@smiles

????

bels
Yung Winona

Postby maj » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:28 pm

http://hypebeast.com/2015/12/nikelab-st ... windrunner

Hnnngggfjdjddjdjdjdndndnsjsjdndmmmmmmmmmdatsdatgoodshiiitmmmm

Major General John "Hacks" Dunning (Viscount Windsor) aka peak angry nerd
maj

Postby twins » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:16 pm

Anyone else lie about the price they paid for *every* thing they own?

If i tell the truth:

More understanding people ask me about it (genuinely curiously) and i have to explain why i paid that much for it. Not that big of a deal but it never changes someone's view on it
Less understanding people/my friends flame me for it, and usually say i'm being wasteful. doesn't really offend nor annoy me cause im used to it and i've started to take myself less seriously

I dont really care about others people's views on it but there's no real point in telling the truth. not to complain or be negative lol, i understand why it's hard to grasp for people and i don't blame them

sstn // fmm
twins

Postby ASTROCHIMP » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:31 pm

I've never really had anyone ever wonder how much I paid for an item. If they want to know why I was to spend that much I'd just tell them because I felt like it. I don't have to justify my purchases to others just to myself.

I'll stop wearing black when they invent a darker color.

Check out my shit tumblr.
http://idreamoftheapocalypse.tumblr.com/
Also consider checking out my music.
https://soundcloud.com/garbagepail
Follow me.
https://twitter.com/youresleeping
ASTROCHIMP

Postby mc-lunar » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:43 pm

who all are you hanging out with that ask you how expensive your clothes are?? and i assume they're asking you because you're definitely not bringing it up, i hope

ive not had this conversation with anyone besides like, my parents or SO. one time someone said "mans got a different pair of shoes for every day of the week" but that's honestly it

mc-lunar

Postby twins » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:04 pm

recently my friend (girl and into fashion) and i were talking about clothes and i told her i bought some nice jeans (Acne) and she asked me. What usually happens is i'll be like "damn im excited for my xxx to come in" or "i bought a xxx"
It's people making conversation, really. Also, once they know you're willing to pay more for clothing they'll ask more

sstn // fmm
twins

Postby odradek » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:23 pm

half price, then half again. then throw that number out and lie anyway. only people i tell are close friends, and only if they ask, because that means they're genuinely curious since they know the answer will always be "a lot"

odradek

Postby gustavobradley » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:36 am

it barely ever happens, but there's no point in really lying about it imo - usually makes for interesting conversation/lets me nerd about about my clothes

https://instagram.com/deadlvng // haelegen.tumblr.com
gustavobradley

Postby Vaeltaja » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:35 am

When friends ask about my garms, I have a perpetual "friend in Japan" who buys me gifts.

I've somehow misplaced a massive Zam Barrett stole... I'm upset and want it.

Wanna redneck? I'll do him an egg. NO SYMPY!
<Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
Vaeltaja

Postby trasparenti » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:44 am

oucho wrote:@trasparenti Call up whatever brands you think may be interested and try to get the email/number of whoever you need to speak to specifically at the company. If you want to take it the extra mile ask if you can drop by their office and show them a swatchbook/talk about the factory. I would like a swatchbook to be honest.

I tried to fit it all in a rep comment but oh well. Good points. I can't visit any offices or brands overseas, nor can I really make international calls (don't even have a phone plan right now) but I'll start emailing brands and I'll work on assembling a swatch book this month. That means another trip to the factory, which may take some time. Once I get everything together, I'd love to send you a swatchbook.

Julio wrote:^i don't really know who you could talk to, tbh? at least for western designers... but i could think of a few people who might be interested to source with your help, maybe.

re: fabrics & japanese designers
I seem to recall something on sufu c/o djraijo (did i spell that right? that guy behind sawhney or however that's spelled--cool stuff but i'm really forgetful sometimes) and he was talking about how a lot of the couture houses in japan source fabrics from one mill or they all have the same suppliers; something like that?
but anyway. i seem to recall him saying kolor was one of the few if not only houses in japan that manufactures everything from start to finish: they produce their own fabrics, essentially? just an interesting little anecdote i guess. might try to dig that post back up sooner or later as djraijo (djrajio???) is clearly informed and in the relevant spheres to discuss such things properly

djrajio is definitely the guy to talk to. Never said anything to him on sufu but he's super knowledgeable. Yeh most big brands in Japan have a specific source. Some have only a couple, but either way there is not some massive supplier base. I'm not surprised Kolor does it all in house, but very few brands are able to do that. MA+ kinda works like that (not a japanese brand tho), in that every step of the process - designing, sourcing, dying, ordering, delivering, and selling - is all done by the label or trusted friends. Maurizio doesn't make his own fabrics tho (for the most part at least).

This factory does tons of work for CDG and some other big names, as well as smaller brands. I'm most interested in supplying for small brands that don't have the $$ or staff of larger brands but still want high-quality fabrics, fast turnaround, and fair prices. I think those labels have a lot to gain from working with this factory and no one in Japan would complain about getting more business. I mean, there's a reason CCP and MA+ are repeat customers. But then, so is Jil Sander. People with a passion for quality and personality are the people I wanna help out and work with. Hopefully once I have some free time I can start emailing labels and attempting to generate interest.

trasparenti
Japanese Correspondent

Postby adiabatic » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:04 pm

bottlebrush wrote:what did you wear for your graduation
i am curious

I didn't bother with the cap-and-gown hullabaloo, so whatever I wore to the Registrar's office to pick up my sheepskin (likely cargo shorts, a Quicksilver T-shirt, and decidedly non-classic Vans).

My parents (married at the time) bailed in the middle of their cap-and-gown ceremony to go to Disneyland, so they weren't gonna complain.

“clothing for attractive rich people in their 20s to go to weddings in” — Zack Johnson on Vineyard Vines
adiabatic

Postby nevergreen » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:40 pm

two separate people have told me I look like Michael Jackson today because of my isaora blazer

nevergreen

Postby WussWayne » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:12 am

I think there's a chunk of us here fucking up our parents money. You should really just lie about how much you pay for clothes or where you source them.

Nightclub on a Friday
Get my Gucci on
F-f-f-firestarter
Yes, I'm in the zone
You coming on me like a player (WOOF!)
But your game's all wrong
You get your words all twisted
It's the same old song
WussWayne

Postby xinijia » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:21 am

Have any avant-garde designers done two different shoes or something like that? There's a lot of insane things out there but I don't remember something like wearing different shoes or two left feet or something.

my favourite colour is bingle bangle
xinijia

Postby Ques » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:49 am

i always just tell people i buy my clothes from the internet and refuse to elaborate any further

Ques

Postby oucho » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:55 am

Whatever the full price of the item I bought half-price, I double that and tell people that's how much it costs.

oucho

Postby bels » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:13 pm

Think we should all acknowledge puma for the most slept on collabs of all time:

Puma x Chalayan
Puma x Vexed Generation
Puma x Miharayusahiro

All random left overs on ebay for less than £50 and sometimes less. Some absolutely amazing stuff in there.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby yourdad » Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:47 pm

i just say it was a million dollars

yourdad

Postby shinny » Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:20 pm

Looked at my baby photo album and found this photo of me.

Remind you of anyone? ;-)
Spoiler:

shinny

Postby brlmski » Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:42 pm

i just say too much because lets be real, i could have totally waited for the sale % to increase before coppin

brlmski

PreviousNext

Return to Tags