Re: random fashion thoughts

Postby nevergreen » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:18 pm

dudeeeeee

nevergreen

Postby une_impasse » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:33 pm

nevergreen wrote:

dudeeeeee

Margiela/MM6 has a dress out for this season with this sequin detailing, the cool part is that the sequins on the dress are the same color on both sides, it just depends how the light hits them.

une_impasse

Postby ramseames » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:10 pm

can someone who knows anything about Alyx talk about it a bit

my initial reaction is "this is lame/why does that $60 belt have a $200 tag on it" but maybe there's more to it than I'm seeing

ramseames

Postby yourdad » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:34 am

all i'm seeing about alyx is that the founder was the creative director for kanye and the stuff is made in italy

yourdad

Postby fun_yunchables » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:28 pm

guess who made a cameo in popeye

coolest lame guy u'll ever meet
fun_yunchables

Postby trasparenti » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:18 am

fun_yunchables wrote:guess who made a cameo in popeye

Super cool. Can't make out all the Kanji but the little blurb basically just says stuff about natural dyeing and how young the brand is. Can't quite make out the quote, something about having some clothes in Japan? I know Journal Standard Luxe in Tokyo ordered Story so maybe it's about that. Might buy the new issue and see for myself. Good spot.

Where do you buy Popeye from? I never bought it when I lived in America.

Been obsessed with CDG since forever, and after going through this whole tumblr - http://fuckyeahcommedesgarcons.tumblr.com/
I've finally been inspired to sell a bunch of things I don't wear (which I will surely all lose money on) and go buy some older CDG stuff. Really want a 'suit' or boiled polyester.

trasparenti
Japanese Correspondent

Postby yoyobeat » Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:57 pm

If you say 'Hender Scheme' in a french accent it sounds like 'Ender's Game'

Remaking the Alien Stomper was perhaps not a coincidental choice

yoyobeat

Postby pirxthepilot » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:09 pm

pusha T visits hostem, eats at my local pizza joint, looks really good in junya/casey casey. i absolutely loved clipse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eO2W3Zg07_0

pirxthepilot

Postby bels » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:30 pm

you remind me a lot of Pusha T pirx.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby smiles » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:30 pm

MIRROR, MIRROR
MIRROR, MIRROR; But Is It Art?
By Penelope Green
Published: January 31, 1999

Spoiler:
MY favorite Susan Cianciolo design is called a Change dress. It is made of muslin and has several features: a snap-on pompom at broach level (choose a pink, yellow or blue one), a dangly bit of crocheted string that attaches in two places and a handy little muslin bag filled with little rectangles of fabric. These are called snappers, because of their snap-on capabilities. You can snap them over your waist, as the designer suggests, or wing it, snapping a corner of one, for example, where the pompom usually goes, so that the rectangle flies about like a little hanky on your chest.

Maybe the Change dress, which costs $1,100, is too rough-looking to be conventionally pretty -- a slash up one thigh is hand-stitched in an awkward blanket-stitch style, a Cianciolo trademark -- but it is appealing in a fuzzy and homespun sort of way, like a Victorian memory box.

''Fuzzy'' and ''homespun'' are very big ideas in fashion right now. They may be an inevitable backlash against the proliferation of slick labels on clothes. (In a nice example, New York magazine reported recently that Carolyn Bessette Kennedy had asked the staff at a Prada store to remove the labels from a ski outfit that she had just purchased.)

In the next few weeks you will find a lot of very girly-looking, craft-y things in the stores for spring, innocent-looking pieces, like the nubby crocheted ponchos with long fringes made by a Belgian designer named Veronique Branquinho, and more decadent ones, like the beaded, feathered and ripped jeans made by Tom Ford, the Gucci designer, that look like the jeans you used to personalize all by yourself. At Ether on Prince Street next weekend, you will be able to watch Elisa Jimenez, a New York designer represented by the Holly Solomon Gallery (a new trend: the gallery-owner-as-fashion rep), hand-sew her one-of-a-kind dresses (about $1,200) and G-strings (about $150) for her coming fashion show.

And at Barneys New York, you will be able to buy Ms. Cianciolo's clothing at retail in Manhattan for the first time. About 70 handmade pieces will be offered by the store ''in a gallery setting, like a little exhibition,'' said Chrissie Lee, a buyer for Barneys. (The boutique If SoHo New York, on Grand Street, will also be carrying her things.)

These are crossover times for Ms. Cianciolo, whose work has heretofore been shown in galleries, including the Andrea Rosen Gallery (on mannequins accessorized with crocheted booties and Barbies), or in installations, including one under the West Side Highway last spring.

Richard Martin, the curator of the Costume Institute at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, said: ''To me, what we're seeing is a very interesting 90's version of what we used to call Art to Wear -- that sort of knitted Woodstock/Cranbrook look. Of course, because the fiber arts people aren't working on looms anymore, you're getting something more conceptual, something that looks like it's gone through the gallery system and out again, and something related to deconstruction, which gives you that gamy look.''

Ms. Cianciolo has been making gamy clothes under the Run label for more than three years and selling them by special order to friends and fans. (The name Run has no particular significance, Ms. Cianciolo said; she just likes the sound of it.) She was traditionally educated in fashion and textile design at Parsons School of Design, and has worked for the designers Badgley Mischka and for X-Girl, Kim Gordon's cooler-than-cool clothing line.

Talking to Ms. Cianciolo, who is rather guarded in an interview, is not like talking to your average fashion designer. I am not sure that she thinks about things like day-into-evening, or skirt lengths and office decorum. You will not find her clothes in ''25 Date-Pretty Looks,'' a feature in the February issue of Glamour magazine.

You will find her in the March issue of Surface (a magazine devoted to ''representing the American avant-garde,'' said its co-publisher, Riley John-donnell), along with Geoffrey Beene; the issue is devoted to craft.

Ms. Cianciolo, who is 29 and grew up in Cranston, R.I., makes videos and fanzines with her friends and husband, Aaron Rose, the owner of the Alleged gallery. She sells them neatly packaged in Ziploc plastic bags, along with her clothes, postcards of her clothes, T-shirts and snappers, out of her Canal Street workroom. The credits on these little art totems read like a Who's Who of a certain Manhattan cultural nexis: there are thank-you's to and contributions by the filmmaker Harmony Korine, the artists Francesco Clemente and Rita Ackerman, and so forth. Certainly, the women currently wearing Run pieces -- a passionate, devoted bunch of buddies -- seem to represent a new sort of cultural adept.

Annie Ok, 25, is an artist-musician-actress-model who crochets booties and snappers for Ms. Cianciolo, models her clothes in videos and shows and owns a closetful of Run creations. You can see her in my favorite Run video, No. 7 ($100), narrating the features of a denim skirt, a truly do-it-yourself item that is simply an enormous size 20-ish denim skirt sold with an assortment of safety pins: use your scissors and cut it up, if you like, and fasten with the pins. Ms. Ok turned hers into a cape. ''Hem to desired length,'' Ms. Ok says in the film, slicing a few inches off.

Liz Goldwyn, 22, is a consultant to the fashion department at Sotheby's, a collector of vintage fashions and a photographer. She lives in a modest loft dominated by a 15-foot garment rack. On it hang a 19th-century French peasant skirt, a Martin Margiela slip dress and about 100 Run pieces.

It is here that you can really see what Ms. Cianciolo is up to. Clothes that look raggedy or punk-inspired (''I know, let's rip a T-shirt and stitch it back together!''), or merely derivative of Martin Margiela, reveal themselves as rather unique and very pretty garments: T-shirts that hug your ribs like a beautiful corset; a crocheted dress that fits Ms. Goldwyn like a second skin, pieces of it sliding on and off in a dizzying variety of looks.

''We were thinking about dust bunnies, and laundry lint, and the string that hangs out of your pocket when you turn it inside out,'' Ms. Ok said helpfully, describing some of the ideas that went into the spring collection. Past themes, Ms. Cianciolo said, have included relationships, physics, sleep, tragedy and plant life.

''Fashion is in ceaseless pursuit of things that are about to look familiar,'' the New Yorker writer Kennedy Fraser wrote in 1970, ''and in uneasy flight from things that have just become a bore.''

Certainly, it's nice to see new things that don't look as if you could go snowboarding in them, things that wouldn't really work with vintage Adidas sneakers, and things that don't look as if they've been dragged kicking and screaming from decades past.

Maybe what's really interesting and useful about Run pieces is that you get to rearrange them: add a snapper here, take a sleeve off there, wrap the thing on your head. It's personal fashion, glorious D.I.Y. If you ignore the art babble, some things will never become a bore.

Photo: Do-it-yourself: Susan Cianciolo's denim skirt, sold with an assortment of safety pins, can be cut up and sized to the wearer's liking. Barneys New York and the boutique If SoHo New York will be selling Ms. Cianciolo's clothing, which before now had been shown in galleries.

草地跑過的腳印
smiles

Postby nick » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:34 am

xinijia wrote:So I've been really into kpop lately and this guy caught my eye
Someone compiled a tumblr full of his outfits or whatnot
I dig it but it might be my bias showing though
I mean heis trying to be rick one day trying to be engineered garments then trying to be raf
help

bringing this to fashion thoughts because it's a fashion thought ...

I think this guys take on style is great. I'm sure he can afford so many different looks as a pop star, but still. As I'm sure some of you may know, I'm very into buying into the whole 'look'. When there's multiple looks/styles/whatever/brands you like, buying pieces from each and using your "personal style" to make them match doesn't always work as planned. At least not in my experience - I know there are some people who do it very well.

So, to me this idea of separate wardrobes or even separate singular outfits (I still aspire to have a singular Thom getup on hand) is really really cool.
As far as our members go, I think @maj (who turned me onto the separate wardrobe idea) does this well - having that nazmaz clubsuit chilling in his wardrobe but decked out in sick dad gear day to day.

nick
Eminent Eminem

Postby PrimePrime » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:01 pm

This jacket (but really this whole look [but really this whole collection]) is the most c-t thing I've ever seen.

Spoiler:
Au Jour Le Jour Fall/Winter 2016

PrimePrime

Postby trasparenti » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:53 am

Dunno if this is common knowledge or not but Yohji has a few online-only brands at fairly reasonable prices (no where near mainline prices #tybg)

http://syte.yohjiyamamoto.co.jp/

S'yte, which is unisex casual drapewear for lounging and artful pools

Ground Y, which has some graphics designed by this cool Japanese artist whose name I forgot. As far as I know it was a streetwear-friendly line aimed at the yoof, only intended to be sold in one store in Tokyo but I guess it's online too. The pants are tuff

Y's which I guess is a diffusion line now

and Gothic, which is jewelry and sweaters I guess. Also selling two books: Rizzoli Yohji book and Talking To Myself.

trasparenti
Japanese Correspondent

Postby parastexis » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:19 pm

parastexis

Postby INNIT » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:29 pm

i imagine the ppl working at workwear stores right now are p confused when 10 cute teens roll in there to buy them out of dickies tees and 874s

INNIT

Postby JonjoShelvey » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:31 pm

>not buying your dickies from farm and fleet

JonjoShelvey

Postby harmsalmon » Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:31 pm

everyone should check out Snow Peak's store in Soho - really nice space and cool af apparel line that i don't see mentioned nearly enough!

not a shill

harmsalmon

Postby mike868y » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:39 pm

them snow peak knit pants

wtb: xs EG navy tropical wool andover, grey wool hartford jacket, wool glen check andover, brown cord andover, b2b in brown/navy twill plaid, sz8.5 yuteken peanut suede/crepe sole loafers, size 27/28 unis gio skinny
mike868y

Postby Morlin » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:11 pm

I'm reaching the second level of ebay exploration. no longer is it just sprawling over listings whose seller bothered to put "porter" in the title. I'm starting to form saved searches for vintage brands that only turn up supreme court transcripts on google, reverse image searching superimposed pictures of gore-tex fabric to find color variations, and using sellers' responses to make haikus. but how deep does it go?

I think that it is not. Cowichan, etc., If you prefer a thick knit, how about you? It is cool there is atmosphere!
Morlin

Postby CheerUpBrokeBoy » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:34 am

idea for grailed now that they're redesigning: have items searchable by both "tagged size" and "fits like ____ size"

if someone from grailed is lurking and reading this (more probable than you'd think), i've got plenty of ideas where that came from. hook me up with that new VC money

CheerUpBrokeBoy

Postby mc-lunar » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:19 am

they spent all their VC cash on buying people's archive UC lang raf that they're gonna put back up for sale after doing a photoshoot with ian connor

mc-lunar

Postby ramseames » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:38 am

Fuk Isn Connor

Or something

ramseames

Postby sagc » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:07 pm

A great - and timely, given the primaries - presentation from General Research.

(xpost to Wanted for the 'Politick' police jacket)

sagc

Postby can- » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:39 pm

I outgrew these shoes years ago and I have never stopped missing them

can-

Postby khayandhi » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:42 pm

I am about a hair away from pulling the trigger on these bc they are the shit and there is only one pair left and they are in my exact half size and I feel like it is destiny

but weirdly what is worrying me is that like I'll buy them and then be too scared of destroying them to USE them and they'll just be like expensive wastes of money that sit in my closet and I periodically take out and pet or something. I need more chill flaxsisters

edit: OK YOU BIG NERDS I BOUGHT THEM AND NOW I AM GOING TO THE NOCOP THREAD WHERE I WILL LIVE FOREVER

Last edited by khayandhi on Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
khayandhi

Postby une_impasse » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:54 pm

Someone on tumblr posted a Raf New Order parka for sale which a Raf archive blog called out as fake, citing the "G Dragon effect," meaning that G Dragon (a korean rapper, arguably the/part of the biggest music act in Asia) wore it once and now knock offs have spawned prodigiously. I'm very fascinated by this phenomenon with G Dragon and Kpop artists in general, it seems as if once they feature a high fashion piece, be it new or archive-ish, the demand for fakes goes through the roof.

une_impasse

Postby meatjacket » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:07 pm

I went to this weird show for a friend of mine and at the concert, they sold merchandise for the venue "SUPERHAPPYFUNFLAND".

Which is to be expected, but instead of screenprinting their art onto plain white tees, they thrift random items and print it onto there, which lead me to find a FLAX shirt.

I didnt have the cash to buy it though :(

meatjacket

Postby anotherdayhere » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:40 pm

selling supreme on grailed is exhausting. i've answered at least 20 questions and had to "guarantee authenticity" on pants I listed 45 minutes ago. buncha animals.

anotherdayhere

Postby trasparenti » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:40 am

working on proxying old issues of Purple magazine for @iliam from various Japanese bookstores and we've got 10 mags here so far. Five or so in the mail. we're working on it but wow these are super cool magazines.

Spoiler:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/Im9kCCb.jpg/img]

definitely deserve some proper scans

trasparenti
Japanese Correspondent

Postby pirxthepilot » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:48 am

edit: bored with my fragmentary olivier zahm diss before i even finished writing it

pirxthepilot

PreviousNext

Return to Tags