COLOUR

Clothes

COLOUR

Postby Bobbin.Threadbare » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:00 am

Colour is the most important sartorial decision as far as I'm concerned, so lets wax lyrical about shades, tones and tastes. Colours can be a lot of things, not that I want to give myself a trendy affectation, I feel like I have some level of synesthesia when it comes to colour. Some are tasty, bitter, earthy, sugary (although it's not like I'm actually putting tongue-to-fabric). I base a lot of my personal colour decisions on how appealing they are to me and I don't feel restricted by the colour of my complextion.

Just to curb opinion before we even start - black is a colour. I don't think there's any merit in acting like it's an absence of colour - it's absolutley not.

I think there was a similar thread but I'm imagining this is more a show and tell.

I've always liked Pantone 2655. It's got a rich deep colour feel but washed out with a milky dilution. I imagine this is what a king bathing in milk would look like if it were a person.

It looks totally different on white.

Bobbin.Threadbare

Re: COLOUR

Postby germinal » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:12 am

Germinal Pink ® is an absence of colour

germinal
Garminlad

Postby popcorn » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:20 am

long after I got into clothing and made a tumblr, I made a folder for pictures that appeal to me in color - my avatar was ripped from that folder :-) now I am a corner in a beautiful blue room
oh, and I'm glad we're talking about british color in this thread

I really really liked the color pallet in the recent Puma x Brooklyn We Go Hard (((a French label?))) collaboration lookbook

I don't really have anything very intuitive to add, but I'd like to ask - is there a scientific explanation for color combination? What makes black and white resonate well?

Spoiler:

popcorn

Postby sknss » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:35 am

This is the other colour thread in case you were looking for it.

It's a bit weird to look at colours on a screen and even more on that light blue background.

I'm really into sky blue + various shades of ocre

sknss
2015 Summer Camp Participant

Postby Bobbin.Threadbare » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:51 am

@ryan_firecrotch There's lots of science in colour across all the main disciplines but Pantone assigning an index number to shades is as science-y as I get these days. Colour is light - but it's also a whole lot more to living beings than can really be quantified.

or

How I learned to stop worring and love the colour.

Bobbin.Threadbare

Postby UnwashedMolasses » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:13 am

http://techspec.tumblr.com/ is posted by color themes, especially obvious if you go to aerial view, may be worth checking out

True to my user, I'm finding more and more often that I'm not a fan of washed out colors - very saturated tones are my grind.

UnwashedMolasses

Postby soko » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:21 am

I've really liked Dana Lee's use of colour and texture. I find that she often uses odd variations and shades that aren't used very often, like chartreuse in ss13, and orange in fw12.
ss13
fw12
ss11
(love) Dana

soko

Postby navin » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:15 am

i have a weird relationship with color as im colorblind, i try to avoid it ever since that time i confused pink with grey
heres a color i really like
ecru
all of these colors are perfect too

navin

Postby popcorn » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:18 am

One idea that's touched on pretty commonly is the tendency of wardrobes to centralize around a few "versatile" colors that people buy clothing in so they can pair it comfortably with more clothing. Are there colors that you want to have more representation in clothing?

YELLOW is a color associated strongly with light, fire, sunlight, warmth, and loosely with fishermen selling fishsticks.

(We are still on tags, so I've got my eyes on clothes here)

Spoiler:
from GQ reporting on ss14
One takeaway from Paris's color palette so far is a brash yellow accent sure to brighten up any rig. Runway shows from John Galliano, Junya Watanabe, and Maison Martin Margiela are flush with vivid yellows against solid neutrals that help the color speak for itself.

And when you find yourself running out to buy some yellow clothes after you see this slideshow, remember to leave your bashfulness behind. These looks make it clear that any piece of clothing is fair game for full-on yellow styling.

Coincidentally, GQ backed up this stunning uprising of yellow with an astounding eight images featuring the color, and for as great as that Junya show was, the yellow... didn't resonate so well with me.

Yeesh. I don't think yellow exactly exploded after that, either. For shame, GQ.

I think yellow may always be tertiary, an afterthought even. Where I see yellow in clothing, it's found a place in outerwear and the occasional screaming pair of athletic sneakers. I make fun of my friend Carl for his neon yellow (highlighter color!) swim meet tee shirts, but more discrete shades like bronze and the lightest of tans are comfortable neutrals people love to buy. Where do I expect yellow? Made-to-measure neon trousers? Maybe not. Cotton jersey tee shirts? For sure.
Nike Sportswear releases shoes in their own bronze tone.
Raf Simons released his Risingstar with Adidas in a rainbow of colors, but the sleek yellow uppers were the most impressive to me. They join the Formula Ones in Raf's yellow trainer releases.
Converse decided they'd better release the 1970's Chucks in Sunflower yellow before black.
Here's some yellow.

What is my point here?
...I really don't know. Maybe buy a yellow raincoat. It's your call. Live a little.

popcorn

Postby Vaeltaja » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:31 am

I love burgundy/plum/number 8 coloration on shoes

is great, Meermin plum museum calf.

Wanna redneck? I'll do him an egg. NO SYMPY!
<Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
Vaeltaja

Postby greggy » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:40 am

"Black is modest and arrogant at the same time. Black is lazy and easy - but mysterious. But above all black says this: "I don’t bother you - don’t bother me". - Yohji

I find that colours are often indicative of person's attitude and disposition. If you wear bright and vibrant colours, you're more likely to be outgoing, etc.

Which kinda explains why I have next to no colour variation in my casual wardrobe, it's all shades of grey, or fast approaching that point. I simply don't have the balls to wear colours.

greggy

Return to Tags