The colour that humans can see the most of is... craig green

Clothes

Re: The colour that humans can see the most of is...

Postby popcorn » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:26 am

Dropping in on this (amazing) thread because there was a write-up about him in my issue of Another Man (Issue 18, SS14).

I wish I could provide images but my phone is comatose, so here's the text. The first 3/5 of the page are two photographs of men, the first of which in a deep blue (but not navy) knit sweater staring passionately into the camera. His head nearly bald, but with wild strands, and his visible left ear stretched to new lengths by a grey guage. The second has long blonde curly hair interfering with his eyes and is much more directly facing the camera. He wears a tie-dye shirt under a tie-dye crewneck sweater and the beginnings of his tie-dye pants can be seen. The tie-dye is royal purple and dandelion yellow.

THE YOUNG VISIONARY TAKING MENSWEAR TO TRIPPY NEW HEIGHTS.

Since graduating from the MA Fashion course at Central Saint Martins in 2012, Craig Green has provoked equal amounts of praise and condemnation for his standout creations, his A/W13 wooden headpieces resulted in the Daily Mail headline 'What a Plank!' - Green's favourite review to date - and a derisive comment by David Gandy on the TV show Chatty Man. "It means it's either new or challenging, which are both good things," says the unfazed East London designer. "To me, it's always important to try and make people think or feel something."

This season's offering at London Collections: Men certainly didn't disappoint. Described by Green as an exploration into "chaos and control", his Spring/Summer collection was a DIY riot of psychedelic paintball patterns and exploding sculptural forms made from cardboard boxes. "Our work has always been about textiles and craft techniques," he explains. "This is why we chose to do everything by hand. It's an anti-digital statement." And who does Green make his hallucinatory clothes for? "It's something I have no control over," he shrugs. "Besides, I think it's exciting not to know."

TEXT James Anderson PHOTOGRAPHY Cameron Alexander STYLING Ellie Grace Cumming

And who does Green make his hallucinatory clothes for? Heckawheel. The mystery is solved.

popcorn

Postby Ques » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:34 pm

found his stuff on othershop -- like heckaweel mentioned -- and remembered the thread here. thank you so much for putting this thread together, this is a gold mine. i usually enjoy reading about runway designers, but can't imagine myself wearing their clothes, green seems to be one of the exceptions to that trend.

this is absolutely gorgeous and the fact that it's hand-painted is simply amazing. i could see myself wearing a lot of his ss15 collection as well, hoping for a less timid buy in the future from othershop (maybe they're getting more later?) and hopefully some buys from american retailers.

Ques

Postby DeafIdiotGod » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:48 am

heckawheel wrote:Managed to find a video of SS14!!

[vimeo]http://www.vimeo.com/69168002[/vimeo]

Great show. I'll try to find a video of AW13 because that was his first MAN show.

Anyone know what the music in the first bit is?

DeafIdiotGod

Postby bels » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:15 am

Heck is not impressed by this price point

bels
Yung Winona

Postby bels » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:25 pm

Wasn't pulling your leg, wanted to know, good info.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby pei » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:27 pm

ello ello
ya girl pei here with some hot jawnz from CRAIG GREEN AW 2014
im not the best model for these because i don't have a stature of a cute tall and handsome man but i'm a lil tiny shit so maybe close enough? also sorry for bad pic quality i'll force klf to take better pics of me wearing it but tbh he wears all of these better than i do so lol....

pics and stuff under spoiler!

Spoiler:
#1 cotton worksear shirt
VERY COOL doesn't fit that well on me lmao.... but i love it anyway
it has a very nice boxy fit and the pockets are divine
like theres a pocket where the pocket flap is, and there's another pocket inside the pocket flap.....woah...

#2 tie shirt
okay so rough story with this one was that the second button up top for this shirt literally pulled off while i was trying to button it up for the first time..
if anyone knows how to sew on a button with 4 holes in it, please teach me how to do it ; m ;

#3 canvas skirt modeled with tie shirt
the skirt has length-long slits on the sides! very sexxxy, also pockets are very very deep on this bad boy?!?!?!?!?!

:0)
pei

Postby KLF » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:22 pm

posting itt to say rick is dead to me long live green

KLF

Postby theweathercock » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:31 pm

I'm not really usually into high end run way stuff, but this is so cool. His graduating collection especially was so cool to me. It's unlike anything I've ever seen. Sorry if this doesn't contribute anything, just wanted to also thank the people who put this together.

It is what it is and it's pretty good
theweathercock

Postby bels » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:19 am

Would be great if craig's samurai silhouette bubbled out into the high street and we started seeing the topknot crew in some tie on samurai armour and huaraches.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby stappard_ » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:39 am

Are these trousers zip-offs? millets

stappard_

Postby une_impasse » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:51 pm

Craig Green got a spot on Tim Blanks best menswear looks of the last decade, the article picture spoils it but see for yourself!
http://www.style.com/trends/mens/2015/best-mens-fashion-runway-looks

une_impasse

Postby mc-lunar » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:56 pm

Champion Athleticwear, makers of authentic and innovative athletic apparel, announces the launch of Champion Select – a line created exclusively for Urban Outfitters, in partnership with three directional designers curated by the Capsule Show. The collaboration brings to life a modern interpretation of the Champion brand as envisioned by three prominent independent fashion designers -- Timo Weiland from New York, Craig Green from London and Wood Wood from Copenhagen – each chosen for their unique design aesthetics. Champion Select is the latest designer collaboration by Champion, which has established itself among key fashion influencers and style trendsetters for its limited edition collaborations.

Seems like its more of a Craig Green x Champion for Urban Outfitters (as well as Wood Wood x Champion and Timo Weiland x Champion) so I wouldn't fret too much. Actually quite excited to see where this goes, Champion is a pretty important and fun brand as far as accessible streetwear goes and snyder x champion was more comfortable than any of the RC or w+h gear i've worn so this has a lot of potential imo!

mc-lunar

Postby ramseames » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:59 pm

mc-lunar wrote:
Champion Athleticwear, makers of authentic and innovative athletic apparel, announces the launch of Champion Select – a line created exclusively for Urban Outfitters, in partnership with three directional designers curated by the Capsule Show. The collaboration brings to life a modern interpretation of the Champion brand as envisioned by three prominent independent fashion designers -- Timo Weiland from New York, Craig Green from London and Wood Wood from Copenhagen – each chosen for their unique design aesthetics. Champion Select is the latest designer collaboration by Champion, which has established itself among key fashion influencers and style trendsetters for its limited edition collaborations.

Seems like its more of a Craig Green x Champion for Urban Outfitters (as well as Wood Wood x Champion and Timo Weiland x Champion) so I wouldn't fret too much. Actually quite excited to see where this goes, Champion is a pretty important and fun brand as far as accessible streetwear goes and snyder x champion was more comfortable than any of the RC or w+h gear i've worn so this has a lot of potential imo!

saw a bunch of it today (might have been just would would idk)

looked fine

not exciting and very #athleisure but not bad product in and of itself

ramseames

Postby une_impasse » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:47 am

ramseames wrote:
mc-lunar wrote:

saw a bunch of it today (might have been just would would idk)

looked fine

not exciting and very #athleisure but not bad product in and of itself

I bought both Craig Green men's pieces because I'm too hype. They're the clear standouts, everything else from the collaboration is just ok and mostly about excessive branding, the sweaters and shorts together are a comfy lifestyle dream. The only downside is the zippers are extremely cheap feeling but Urban is all about them at the moment.

une_impasse

Postby mc-lunar » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:14 pm

I love how over the course of this thread heckawheel goes from "I want to be just like Craig when I grow up" to 'what a sellout. he deserves to be placed next to our legacy.'

mc-lunar

Postby tomsfood » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:54 pm

Spoiler:

tomsfood
Look Arena Champion

Postby une_impasse » Mon May 04, 2015 8:18 pm

craig got himself included in this year's costume institute exhibit, "China: Through the Looking Glass"

Spoiler:

une_impasse

Postby vgtbls » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:19 pm

Will the kites be on sale?

vgtbls

Postby Iliam » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:33 pm

Craig Interviewed at The Talks

Spoiler:
Mr. Green, do you take it as a compliment when a tabloid newspaper like the Daily Mail makes fun of your work as a fashion designer?

(Laughs) I think that season there were three labels that got ridiculed by the Daily Mail. It was me, Sibling, and J.W. Anderson. And it was all “weird” and people were really ripping into these things and the comments from the general public underneath… It was quite funny. It became this weird badge of honor. After that, people were trying to get into the Daily Mail. The next collection I did, I was like, “Shit, it wasn’t weird enough! They didn’t even comment on it!”

What was your initial reaction when your first collection was ridiculed by one of the biggest newspapers in the UK?

I was a bit like, “Oh God… it’s a joke. Everyone thinks it’s shit.” When you’ve just done your first show, you have no money, you’ve just done this big push and then it’s like, “Is this really for me? Maybe I should be doing something else with my life.” Because people had made mockups on TV, like on The Jonathan Ross Show, and then the Daily Mail made a fake one and went around London trying to get into certain places with a big piece of wood on their face. It was the first collection I’d ever made outside of university, I got friends to help, my family was helping – it was very communal – and those people made me realize that it was good to split opinions. That means that it was a challenging thing for people, it made people discuss something. So it was a good thing in hindsight.

And it wasn’t like it was universally panned. Some critics quite liked it.

What kept me going was that people that I respected actually liked it. You don’t have to please everybody. As long as you and the people whose opinions you respect are comfortable and happy with it, then… keep going! Keep making that weird stuff. I feel like there are a lot less people coming out of fashion educations who want to start their own labels nowadays. It’s just become unfashionable or something. They all want jobs, they all want security, they don’t want to take the risk. It’s a shame.

Well a lot of people come out of school with crippling debt nowadays and starting a fashion label isn’t the most sure-fire way towards financial security.

True, I would never have been able to do the MA if I were doing it now. I think I would have had a really different path. I think there will be a big loss of a certain type of creative energy in the next couple years because people are asking themselves, “Do I really want to be in 60 grand worth of debt? And then come out and try and do my own label? With no money?” Just when I was about to start at Central Saint Martins, the fees were still one grand a year. Then I took a gap year and it ended up being three grand a year for me, but now it’s nine grand a year. The change is huge.

Is it true that when you enrolled at Central Saint Martins – which offers one of the most prestigious fashion programs in the world – you had no interest in fashion?

Yeah I didn’t actually know what Central Saint Martins was… (Laughs) I was quite naïve. I studied art in my A-levels and that’s what I seemed to be best at. It was someone in my A-level classes who was like, “Oh, you have to apply there. That’s like the best place.” So I was like, “Okay, I’ll apply.” I was a very North London boy that didn’t really know much outside of… North London, I guess. I knew I wanted to make stuff. I wanted to do something kind of craft-based or painting or sculpture. I didn’t realize that Central Saint Martins had such a fashion history.

So how did you end up doing fashion?

I did a foundation year at Central Saint Martins that’s meant to help you decide in which direction you want to go. And a lot of the people on the foundation already knew, they were like, “I’m here to do fashion, to get in that womenswear course…” And a lot of the tutors were kind of deterring people that hadn’t done fashion, saying stuff like, “If you’ve never tried it before, I wouldn’t apply.” So I think with that kind of energy I was like, “Well, why can’t I do that? You can’t tell me I can’t do that!” So I made a terrible dress for this charity fashion show that my friend was putting on. It was awful, but there was something about the energy of everyone there and the energy of the fast-paced, competitive challenge of it that I was quite intrigued by, I guess.

Do you think you have a different approach because you don’t have a fashion background?

Sometimes not knowing is better than knowing. You’re working it out as you’re going along. “Is that how you make this?” And then you make a mistake and realize it’s quite good actually. So, yeah, I guess maybe having that background that wasn’t so obsessed with fashion kind of helped. I never really had any fashion heroes or anything. I first started doing womenswear and then my eyes were opened to designers like Walter Van Beirendonck and people that I started to really respect because of the way they were pushing things. So then I started trying menswear and it made more sense to me. I guess it kind of helps you to approach it in a more open way and you’re not so stuck by these rules or what you know.

After the mixed reviews of your first show that we were talking about before, your SS15 show made quite different headlines. Apparently it was so emotional that it brought some people in the audience to the verge of tears, a very rare feat for a fashion show.

I actually thought it would be a bit of a dark note of a collection because everything is really reactionary. FW14 was really overworked, opulent, and all about multicolored tie-dye cardboard sculptures and hand painting, so the reaction to that season was to strip everything back and have bare feet and monochromatic colors. It was calm, zen-like, and all about movement. But even when I was doing the first run-through with the music and the models that weren’t dressed, I was thinking, “Oh shit, make them walk faster or something!” I thought people were going to be disappointed. That’s how the energy was.

But you didn’t change anything, did you?

We couldn’t! It was like 30 minutes before the show, so I was just thinking, “Oh God, is everyone going to think this is really boring?” But when we saw the movement and heard the music and the flags were moving like they’d never really moved before… It was a weird day. I remember everyone was a bit emotional that morning, I don’t know why. So I felt like there was something, a bit of a weird energy there, but I don’t know if moving fabric and Enya equates to emotion. But it was amazing that people who have seen shows for like 40 years and who have been to all the amazing shows in the past felt so strongly about it.

How do you go on after that, with such enormous expectations all of a sudden?

It was scary. What do you do after that? I didn’t know where to go… But then the next season was just reactionary again. SS15 was very stripped back, it was very eastern, it was very spiritual in feeling, so for FW15 I wanted to do the most classical collection we could. I just wanted to prove that we, as a brand, could make wearable things that people could want in winter. And things that can stand up as design, where it’s not just a floaty piece of fabric and some music.

To create something that is easier for the shops to sell and actually get your products to people.

Yeah, I think the main aim of it was to do pieces that could stand up as pieces in a store against other brands. Like, “That is an amazing coat.” Or “That is an amazing jacket.” “That’s a really nice shirt.” So I guess it was kind of proving to myself and to stores that you don’t need to buy the collection just based on the show.

in other craig green news - here's an image of the aw15 jumpers for dazed & confused summer 2015

Spoiler:

by collier schorr & robbie spencer
model is the excellent being hari nef

Iliam

Postby cekam23 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:11 pm

Maan I love Craig Green Work. As a broke student, I tried to buy small pieces from him that I can afford lol. So far I have:
2 FW15 Twisted top (Black white)
The Grenson X Mr Porter Collab
The Champion Sweater.
I'll definitely buy more in a near future.

cekam23

Postby Iliam » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:56 pm

Craig Green AW16 Campaign

and now google "wolfgang tillmans, Lutz, Alex, Suzanne, & Christoph on beach"

Last edited by Iliam on Thu May 24, 2018 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Iliam

Postby nope » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:09 pm

Oh lord the fabric on this new season jacket!

ENHANCE
Spoiler:

DOUBLE ENHANCE
Spoiler:

Photos from Suspension Point

nope

Re: The colour that humans can see the most of is... craig g

Postby nope » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:45 am

Playing the long game

nope

Re: The colour that humans can see the most of is... craig g

Postby kickingthefly » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:55 pm