Here is ramdomthought!

Off topic

Re: Here is ramdomthought!

Postby freddy » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:13 am

in nyc rn...left my smartphone earlier tonight charging at a hotel open area near a dirty table, and walked away to a sit-in at a talk and came back, and it's gone with a clean table. i'm leaving in the early am tomorrow. gonna try calling housekeeping/lost-and-found again, tomorrow. fml and shame on me

the upside is that i won $500 on a raffle last night but lost that much the night before playing poker. lol

freddy

Postby ASTROCHIMP » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:23 am

I wish I could get as excited about things as MFA got when the Killshot 2's returned.

I'll stop wearing black when they invent a darker color.

Check out my shit tumblr.
http://idreamoftheapocalypse.tumblr.com/
Also consider checking out my music.
https://soundcloud.com/garbagepail
ASTROCHIMP

Postby freddy » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:49 pm

i'm doing a fda clinical trial for a drug and took the first morning medication today in-person. but the research assistant forgot to give me the blister pack for my prescription experimental medication. lol

i left him an awkward message. "so uhhh yeah how am i suppose to talk the evening meds tonight??"

freddy

Postby popcorn » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:13 am

fiber is really important and what's it called when you feel a memory (don't see it, just feel)

popcorn

Postby fun_yunchables » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:53 pm

picked the wrong day to wear my paa heavyweight tee it's sweltering

whenever I start feeling a little selfish, I remember that there's no such thing as "fair" and that the universe doesn't care if any of us live or die
fun_yunchables

Postby freddy » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:11 am

i just realized that from k-12 ur taught to think inside the box, then when you get to college and post-graduate studies you're then taught to think outside the box... amirite?

but sometimes i think with none of this so called "box".

freddy

Postby oucho » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:53 am

oucho

Location:          ⃝     ⃝              ⃝     ⃝              ⃝      ⃝            ⃝          ⃝    ⃝

Postby rublev » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:18 pm

rublev
Political Editor

Postby CheerUpBrokeBoy » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:35 am

my new internet obsession is videos of mascots getting hurt in comical ways

CheerUpBrokeBoy

Postby popcorn » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:50 am

doesn't fit any other thread I can think of well;
I haven't kept up at all, but it seems that chernobyl is safe enough for professional documentation

@exprof
I actually had that written as "safe" originally :b

@ASTROCHIMP
I really want to know more, I think I'm gonna look around the guy's channel for more clear information.
I saw another video that seemed to imply the concrete casing (which is, to me, incredible architecture - magnificent and terrifying) was specifically for the building where the Elephant's Foot was, and in the beginning of this video the guy filming jokes about going to see the Elephant's Foot (he asks "which floor is the foot?" when he gets in the elevator), so I think this is the building with the casing. I don't know though.

I'd imagine the Elephant's Foot is still radioactive enough to destroy you in hours, and I really want to know.
This mass of corium located in the cellar directly beneath the Chernobyl reactor is known as "the elephants foot" and it emits radiation at levels in excess of 10,000 roentgens per hour.

They got a measurement of 2 roentgen/hour from one of the cores, which they said was "still hot."

From wikipedia,
1 roentgen actually deposits about 0.96 rem in soft biological tissue.

If you expose 100 people to 350rem, within 60 days 50 people will die, which is said as "LD50/60". I read in another place that 500rem is assuredly fatal, but I don't have a better measurement.

Seems .. safe enough.

popcorn

Postby INNIT » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:23 pm

can somebody photoshop cybernetic optical augmentations onto rex tillerson's face for me? need this image for a cyberpunk presentation im doing comparing imagined corporate nation states to contemporary US politics

INNIT

Postby fun_yunchables » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:41 am

always thought the visvim_design instagram captions were hilariously kitschy.

There is nothing more distasteful than individuals who pretend to be interested in things they aren't for the sake of being different.

The end comes no matter what. The only thing that matters is how do you want to go out, on your feet or on your knees.

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you’ll find an excuse.

should start a thread to archive them

whenever I start feeling a little selfish, I remember that there's no such thing as "fair" and that the universe doesn't care if any of us live or die
fun_yunchables

Postby ramseames » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:20 am

It's run by a fan, used to be full of pictures of fbts with much skinnier denim than vis has ever made lol so it's clearly improved. There was a caption awhile ago that was "if you don't understand why something costs what it does, it probably isn't meant for you" which which is true in a way but hilariously obtuse when you say it out loud.

Actual vis ig is "visvim_official"

ramseames

Postby rublev » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:42 pm

ryanair will start flights to lviv and kiev from october! can't wait.

also... if y'all want to visit, chernobyl is only a 2 hour drive from the capital :0

Ryanair Holdings Plc will extend its network further east than ever before with flights from Ukraine, targeting a market the low-cost giant says has huge pent-up demand while heightening competition with rival Wizz Air Holdings Plc.

Services will begin in October with four routes to the Ukrainian capital Kiev and seven to the western city of Lviv, Europe’s biggest discount airline said Wednesday, predicting that the flights will attract 510,000 passengers a year.

Kiev will get five flights a week from London Stansted, Ryanair’s biggest base, together with three each from Stockholm, Manchester in northern England and Eindhoven in the Netherlands. Lviv will have three weekly services from the Polish cities of Krakow and Wroclaw and two apiece from Stansted, Eindhoven, Berlin, Budapest and Memmingen, 80 kilometers (50 miles) east of Munich.

rublev
Political Editor

Postby rublev » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:40 pm

"Who will design a passport capable of containing multiple nested identities?" - dezeen

Two days after the Brexit referendum result I became Estonian, at least to some extent. Actually to very little extent, legally. But up late, shattered by a result which felt like a brutal denial of my core existence, I found myself on the Internet, and rather than comfort-buying yet another Dieter Rams monograph, I applied for e-residency in Estonia instead.

It cost me around €50 and 20 minutes of time filling in some vaguely well-considered online forms. I uploaded a photo of my passport, filled in some basic details   and – from the pull-down menu asking as to why I was applying – I selected the pre-filled option "I'm a fan of e-residency".

A few weeks later, presumably after Estonian police checks, I found myself in the well-heeled Embassy-ville of South Kensington, west London, stepping downstairs into the Baltic – or rather, a pale white cellar office dressed as if Tallinn. A pale white Estonian embassy official, also dressed as if Tallinn, handed over a slim, blue cardboard box containing my Estonian e-residency ID card and a small black plastic rectangle, which unfolds to form a cruciform USB reader. This takes the chip-end of the ID card on one axis and slips into a USB socket on the other.

The official, discreet but friendly enough, snips the bottom off a piece of A4 with a pair of scissors  –  an act that feels curiously analogue, amidst all the digital authentication –  and that's that. The paper is my receipt. The blue ID card is part of my new identity. The perhaps appropriately cruciform reader is my interface with a new nation state. I have residency in Estonia, at least digitally, and can now open Estonian bank accounts and run a business through Estonia, should I wish to.

interesting

rublev
Political Editor

Postby Stolsdos » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:29 pm

'aesthetically impoverished enivronments' lmao

sorry i don't know where to put this so i put it here, but i found it in a techno group so i could put it tech-yes, but it's also hilarious so i could put it in one of our funny threads
Spoiler:
I'm a nethead
who are you?

Stolsdos

Postby andy » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:07 pm

oh my god, which group did you find this video in?

andy

Postby JewTurk » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:33 pm

Does anyone know where the /hand up/ trend came about, I keep seeing it crop up more and more and I'm so interested.

JewTurk

Postby freddy » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:10 pm

Who's this? The pm got screwed and I can't find this person.

freddy

Postby popcorn » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:50 pm

not to get existentialist but... I know a lot of indie pop lyrics considering I'm failing physics

popcorn

Postby freddy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:14 pm

Atrocious English runs in the family lol

Playing manager for a day

freddy

Postby gruff » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:36 pm

anyone else ever notice the singer of smash mouth is wearing snopants in the all star video

dont know how to make the image smaller sorry

gruff

Postby fun_yunchables » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:30 pm

these last months have been crazy in terms of work & life but on the bright side i've got a lot of stuff done!

* published a couple papers
* traded in my car for a new one (GTI boys n girls we out here)
* mildy bruised my meniscus in my right knee
* traded a bunch of zines at laabf
* shot two rolls of super 8 film

i've been feeling super good lately --- a lot of positivity in my friend circle which is appreciated. super thankful

oh yeah
* went vegan

fun_yunchables

Postby oucho » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:31 pm

oucho

Location:          ⃝     ⃝              ⃝     ⃝              ⃝      ⃝            ⃝          ⃝    ⃝

Postby freddy » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:59 am

What if you brought a drunk irishman and a drunk russian at a park where old chinese ppl r doing tai chi, would they start to learn how to do tai chi and/or fight each other while the old chinese ppl continue to do tai

freddy

Postby adiabatic » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:15 am

Probably depends on whether they're the fightin' type or not.

“clothing for attractive rich people in their 20s to go to weddings in” — Zack Johnson on Vineyard Vines
adiabatic

Postby worknights » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:55 pm

im in canada for the first time since september and the first thing i did was get tim hortons

ig: cavallifurs
worknights

Postby trasparenti » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:16 pm

dunno where else to post but im goin to new york april 1-6 if anyone wants to hang in. think i'll be around brooklyn but i wanna go all around the city and look at stores sights and food

AKA multiwatered
@trasparenti
http://edwina-horl.tumblr.com/
trasparenti
Japanese Correspondent

Postby popcorn » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:23 am

do u think if everyone chose their age for the day, we'd all be 17 year olds?

or would segments of the population select childhood; others choose to be crotchety 60-somethings voting right-of-center and walking their dogs slowly around west village; and still others be 28 year old men in white undershirts and big pants working odd jobs, listening to hip-hop, and promising boo that they won't spend as much on weed?

popcorn

Postby anth » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:36 am

just made the move from phoenix to seattle, i've visited here dozens of times before but actually moving and staying here feels so odd. if anyone wants to hang hit me up, i got no friends and i can only hang in in local coffee shops for so long b4 people think im a lonely weirdo

"Life is so great. Life is so fun. Life is so great in my head because I see the love. I see what life could be. As long as I can fulfill it and fulfill my days, it will be fruitful and come about." - Lil B
anth

PreviousNext

Return to Care