Long articles that are worth reading

Off topic

Re: Long articles that are worth reading

Postby parastexis » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:50 am

https://journals.uvic.ca/index.php/cthe ... 14826/5697
this essay by Baudrillard was written 20 years ago but it's incredible how accurately it applies to today and genuinely changed my understanding of how political parties work or don't

parastexis

Postby Ques » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:39 pm

found this while doing thesis trudging, felt like people here would appreciate

https://nplusonemag.com/issue-10/the-intellectual-situation/revolt-of-elites/#

Ques

Postby rjbman » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:01 pm

This fits about 4 different threads but I figured I'd post it here:

An all-female team of engineers in Gaza convert the rubble of war into the cement of rebirth

"Let's be vagabonds." - Yohji Yamamoto
rjbman

Postby rublev » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:42 pm

Robert Mercer: the big data billionaire waging war on mainstream media - Guardian

Robert Mercer very rarely speaks in public and never to journalists, so to gauge his beliefs you have to look at where he channels his money: a series of yachts, all called Sea Owl; a $2.9m model train set; climate change denial (he funds a climate change denial thinktank, the Heartland Institute); and what is maybe the ultimate rich man’s plaything – the disruption of the mainstream media. In this he is helped by his close associate Steve Bannon, Trump’s campaign manager and now chief strategist. The money he gives to the Media Research Center, with its mission of correcting “liberal bias” is just one of his media plays. There are other bigger, and even more deliberate strategies, and shining brightly, the star at the centre of the Mercer media galaxy, is Breitbart.

interesting...

rublev
Political Editor

Postby Ques » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:17 am

Ques

Postby adiabatic » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:32 am

Guided by The Beauty of Our Weapons, arguing in favor of debating as a truth-seeking technique.

Moderately representative sample:

Am I saying that if you met with a conservative friend for an hour in a quiet cafe to talk over your disagreements, they’d come away convinced? No. I’ve changed my mind on various things during my life, and it was never a single moment that did it. It was more of a series of different things, each taking me a fraction of the way. As the old saying goes, “First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then they fight you half-heartedly, then they’re neutral, then they then they grudgingly say you might have a point even though you’re annoying, then they say on balance you’re mostly right although you ignore some of the most important facets of the issue, then you win.”

Most amusing sample (emphasis in the original):

Another SSC story. I keep trying to keep “culture war”-style political arguments from overrunning the blog and subreddit, and every time I add restrictions a bunch of people complain that this is the only place they can go for that. Think about this for a second. A heavily polarized country of three hundred million people, split pretty evenly into two sides and obsessed with politics, blessed with the strongest free speech laws in the world, and people are complaining that I can’t change my comment policy because this one small blog is the only place they know where they can debate people from the other side.

“clothing for attractive rich people in their 20s to go to weddings in” — Zack Johnson on Vineyard Vines
adiabatic

Postby adiabatic » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:02 am

“clothing for attractive rich people in their 20s to go to weddings in” — Zack Johnson on Vineyard Vines
adiabatic

Postby eli7 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:28 am

This isn't a very intellectually stimulating article but my friends and I have talked quite extensively about gay loneliness and I think it's worth reading. It's not even that long I guess
http://highline.huffingtonpost.com/articles/en/gay-loneliness/

eli7

Postby oucho » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:54 pm

interesting article about how our online data is being used to profile us and influence elections
https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/arti ... -trump-win

oucho

Location:          ⃝     ⃝              ⃝     ⃝              ⃝      ⃝            ⃝          ⃝    ⃝

Postby rjbman » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:21 pm

Bit of a dump

You May Want to Marry My Husband: After learning she doesn’t have long to live, a woman composes a dating profile for the man she will leave behind.

Death of a Dystopian: Alt-right conspiracy theorists think that the government killed the aspiring Libertarian filmmaker David Crowley. The truth is far stranger.

A Bikini, a Toothbrush, and 44 Issues of The New Yorker: In which Summer Brennan attempts to catch up on a year's reading

Inside Alabama’s Auto Jobs Boom: Cheap Wages, Little Training, Crushed Limbs: The South’s manufacturing renaissance comes with a heavy price.

Inside the Strange Saga of a Cairo Novelist Imprisoned for Obscenity: Before it was published, censors approved Ahmed Naji's subversive novel 'Using Life' – so how did he end up in jail for what he wrote?

Yes, Your Dating Preferences Are Probably Racist

Most utopian communities are, like most start-ups, short-lived. What makes the difference between failure and success?

On the Milo Bus With the Lost Boys of America’s New Right: What happens when a movement of gamers recognizes they’re not players, but pawns?

rjbman

Postby Ques » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:06 pm

eli7 wrote:This isn't a very intellectually stimulating article but my friends and I have talked quite extensively about gay loneliness and I think it's worth reading. It's not even that long I guess
http://highline.huffingtonpost.com/articles/en/gay-loneliness/

charydbis shared with me a response to this which i thought i might as well pass along

http://www.slate.com/blogs/outward/2017/03/06/gay_loneliness_is_real_but_toxic_gay_cultures_isn_t_the_problem.html

not that the first article was perfect, but i feel that this is an overly reductive response. anyone else have any reading reccs along similar lines/thoughts?

Ques

Postby fun_yunchables » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:41 pm

Hey, Computer Scientists! Stop Hating on the Humanities

opinion piece that i think isn't just limited to computer scientists

whenever I start feeling a little selfish, I remember that there's no such thing as "fair" and that the universe doesn't care if any of us live or die
fun_yunchables

Postby WussWayne » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:31 am

A story on slavery in modern America
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/ar ... ry/524490/
I'd urge fellow users in developing countries (where middle class+ people tend to have live-in maids) to reflect on whether the people who live with them are paid a fair wage and treated well.

Do you want new wave or do you want the truth
WussWayne

Postby Ques » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:27 pm

WussWayne wrote:A story on slavery in modern America
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/ar ... ry/524490/
I'd urge fellow users in developing countries (where middle class+ people tend to have live-in maids) to reflect on whether the people who live with them are paid a fair wage and treated well.

this whole article was imo really problematic and reinforced troubling narratives about slavery

see: http://www.aaihs.org/interrogating-the- ... lys-slave/

Ques

Postby Ques » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:32 am

a lot of people on here have probably already read this, but i just found Ta-Nehisi Coates' article on reparations yesterday, and it was absolutely foundational for my current understanding of the US's need for reconciliation with history

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/ar ... ns/361631/

i really liked this line and think it gets to the core of his point
"To celebrate freedom and democracy while forgetting America’s origins in a slavery economy is patriotism à la carte."

even if you don't agree with reparations––and he talks a lot about why most american's are so terrified of the subject––then this article is still worth reading for its excellent historical information and discussion of current-day racial issues in the US

Ques

Postby Stolsdos » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:23 pm

Dope paper I read the other day over the US media/government representation of the 21 non-repatriated US soldiers during the Korean War
21 GI Turncoats

Stolsdos

Postby Ques » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:21 pm

Ques wrote:coates article

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2016/02/ta-nehisi-coates-case-for-reparations-bernie-sanders-racism/

I would also recommend this as a response to the coates article. it's a very nuanced disagreement that i thought was quite persuasive. i'd be curious to see what other people think?

Ultimately, the historical narrative that underpins the reparations claim, a view of history that emphasizes racial conflict as primary, white supremacy as hegemonic and immutable, and black politics as insular and unitary, can only leave us with a fatalistic view of political possibilities that neglects the rich, diverse history of interracial left political struggle.

Contemporary forms of oppression are not propelled by the need to subjugate black labor to the interests of Southern planters and industrialists, but as a means of managing a growing class of Americans who are not exclusively black but have been made obsolete by hyper-industrialization, the large-scale introduction of automation and cybernetic command, just-in-time production, and other strategies of flexible accumulation in US farms and factories.

Ques

Postby rjbman » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:26 pm

Great article about Lagos, Nigeria - The city that won't stop growing. Images really flow well with the text, too.

rjbman

Postby rjbman » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:19 pm

St. Vincent's Cheeky, Sexy Rock - has me so very psyched for her new album

rjbman

Postby Ques » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:11 am

Ques

Postby deadkitty » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:51 pm

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/ar ... es/537909/

great article that articulates really well a lot of stuff about like white working class anomia. p Must Read

space
master
deadkitty

Postby fun_yunchables » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:01 am

https://medium.com/defiant/a-lot-of-what-you-know-about-north-korea-is-racist-nonsense-a625256b51cc

semirelated rant below
Spoiler:
dunno how much is true/valid, but it's always good to know more sides to a story before pointing fingers. i certainly don't believe that the DPRK is without fault, but i also don't believe the crazy war-mongering image a lot of media has pushed it to be. western propaganda (be it conscious or otherwise) is very much alive. even things which may be unrelated (tv shows, movies, books, etc) push subconscious programming into minds (at least mine, from what i've realized) ― what is 'good,' what is 'attractive,' what is 'normal.' of course it's nigh impossible to avoid this completely, so imo the next best option is to consume media from several different global perspectives (not just western media! RT, Al Jazeera, SCMP, etc etc). also i think its a good habit to be skeptical of yourself and your potential biases — ask why you believe something is good, why you find something/someone attractive, why something is 'weird' or not normal!

*puts on tin foil hat*

whenever I start feeling a little selfish, I remember that there's no such thing as "fair" and that the universe doesn't care if any of us live or die
fun_yunchables

Postby Ques » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:44 am

^^ if you want to look more into this i really recommend the writings of bruce cumings. i just read his book parallax visions, and in it he does an excellent job unpacking the history of the DPRK/USA relationship.

if you haven't read it already, i would also recommend evan osnos's big piece on the DPRK in the new yorker: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017 ... orth-korea

if i knew how to bet on the pullitzers i'd put my money on this winning one

Ques

Previous

Return to Care