What are you reading today/book club

Off topic

Re: What are you reading today/book club

Postby fen » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:14 pm

Just got finished with Idoru by William Gibson. Had only read Neuromancer before this and kind of expected more amph fueled technobabble. This one turned out to be surprisingly grounded tbh. The story was 3/5, but some of the ideas were pretty interesting.

Firstly, this book kind of predicted the rise of the darknet, which I think is impressive in 1996. But idk I was a kiddo in 1996, maybe the internet was more developed by that point than I think. Also got into a lot of issues re: internet anonymity, how to present yourself when physical limitations are removed.

The cooler concept was the Idoru themselves, which are synthetic/animated popstars. I feel like this must have been the inspo for Gorillaz, but I think the immediate recognition of Damon Albarn kind of ruined it. I hope musicians play around with this more in the future. We're already seeing music becoming way more visual, with artists spending more time creating strong consistent imagery for their albums/branding. E.g Kanye, Tyler, A$AP Rocky for sure (sorry i don't know much outside of hip-hop). Seems like the jump to creating animated representations/avatars for your music would open up a lot of cool creative space.

fen

Postby Ques » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:54 pm

a friend of mine met the translator of the vegetarian, apparently she only learned korean because she thought she could make more money translating korean than with any other language, and her korean isn't actually that good

:heck:

Ques

Postby Ques » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:43 pm

can anyone explain the gist of benjamin's the task of the translator to me in basic english

Ques

Postby Cowboy » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:41 am

Read Grapes of Wrath it was fantastic

Cowboy

Postby dakaf_fal » Sat May 27, 2017 12:51 pm

I just finished reading The Volcano Lover by Susan Sontag. I've been meaning to read some Sontag for a while and picked this up when I found a copy at my local bookshop. Sontag's a great judge of human nature, it was a pleasure to see how she developed the personalities of the novel's characters. The plot came off a little flat, but I didn't mind too much because the writing was so enjoyable. This read like Sontag's response to magical realism, it maintains a level of absurdity that you'd expect to find in a Salman Rushdie or Gabriel Garcia Marquez novel only without the more fantastic elements. I'm not a huge nonfiction reader, but I think I might give one or two of Sontag's essays a try.

@wolflarsen I found a copy of Banana Yoshimoto's [img]Asleep[/img] in a used bookstore when I was visiting Philadelphia a couple weeks ago, so that's next up!

dakaf_fal

Postby rjbman » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:26 pm

Does anyone use goodreads? Would love to follow folks!

here's mine, stop by, say hi

"Let's be vagabonds." - Yohji Yamamoto
rjbman

Postby brlmski » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:33 pm

add me @rjbman

brlmski

Postby rjbman » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:34 pm

101 Books to Dive Into This Summer: A Reading List - from TED.

There's a lot of interesting books here, added about 10 to my Goodreads.

"Let's be vagabonds." - Yohji Yamamoto
rjbman

Previous

Return to Care