You Ain't Got No Yeezy In Your Threadlist?

Off topic

Re: You Ain't Got No Yeezy In Your Threadlist?

Postby Cowboy » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:11 am

Cowboy wrote:Kanye talk. Can't believe this doesn't exist

I uh...don't really care about Kanye West anymore oops

Cowboy

Postby BobbyZamora » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:40 am

the man won't ever be as relevant as he was when MBDTF dropped

still think it's the best album of the decade but it is as high as he will ever go

B)
BobbyZamora

Postby CheerUpBrokeBoy » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:37 pm

hahahahahahahahahaha

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

CheerUpBrokeBoy

Postby rjbman » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:47 pm

hell i even turned on notifications last week when he was tweeting all this uplifting wholesome shit

"Let's be vagabonds." - Yohji Yamamoto
rjbman

Postby CheerUpBrokeBoy » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:57 pm

how did it take me this long to realize that kanye and trump have very similar public personas

i've said this before but if thin white duke-era bowie said he loved hitler and people forgot about it, and john galliano's still designing, then i'm gonna keep being a yeezy fan

i'm sure people have different views on this ofc but in order to convince me otherwise you're gonna have to first convince me that anything that happens on twitter actually matters

CheerUpBrokeBoy

Postby CheerUpBrokeBoy » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:04 pm

@106-2
dont like to neg but fully dont rate the idea that nothing on twitter 'actually matters'. he's one of the most influential voices around

influential about politics, though? is the fear that ye is gonna sell conservative ideology to his fans the same way he sells sneakers? when has an incoherent twitter rampage ever actually influenced anything?

i don't want to get too deep on this in the yeezy thread, but 99.9% of twitter politics shit is meaningless culture war by-product trying to assuage the powerlessness we feel as individual citizens. all that really matters is solidarity and direct action

the fact kanye is getting more backlash for his MAGA tweets than r kelly is for raping underage girls is a case study in mass media visibility

CheerUpBrokeBoy

Postby 106-2 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:39 am

I don't think that ye's angling to push conservatism (https://twitter.com/kanyewest/status/989897228511670272) but I think his promotion of trump as a black guy with a transgender mother-in-law, a daughter and wife (really don't like using the whole 'wives and daughters' argument but its not like he looks far outside of his own circle nowadays) is just damaging.

Why do you think that so many conservatives/alt-right voices were so quick to endorse his tweets, having previously mocked him previously? (eg. Ian Miles Cheong going from legit calling him a satanist to stanning him, there are more) He legitimises their views, even if he isn't directly promoting them. ye doesnt have to push their ideology because all it takes is some fans to be exposed to those who actually are through their coverage - it's irresponsible on his part

also don't really see the equivalence between r kelly and ye? ye chose to put these views out in the public, r kelly has tried his very hardest to hide his crimes. r kelly fully deserves to be brought to justice dont get me wrong

106-2

Postby rjbman » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:50 am

also probably semi-related to this: kanye dropped a new single and its the best rapping he's done in years, regardless of your thoughts on him personally, you deserve to check it out: http://www.kanyewest.com/

rjbman

Postby mknro » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:27 pm

I thought you all might appreciate this theory about Kanye's message in his recent Twitter activity.

He's three times this week tweeted about Joseph Beuys, yesterday as one of three people on his "mood board":

https://twitter.com/kanyewest/status/988137165207949312 https://twitter.com/kanyewest/status/988140705221496833 https://twitter.com/kanyewest/status/990387301363535872

the second photo in particular is from Beuys' performance called "I Like America and America Likes Me", where Beuys locked himself in a room with a Coyote for three days.

Here's the link a Kanye fan found between that art and Kanye's message of unifying America's political landscape with love and discourse

"With I Like America and America Likes Me, Beuys wanted to begin a national dialogue. While its patriotic title recalls the popular myth of the United States as a “melting pot” where people of all backgrounds can co-exist harmoniously, Beuys saw in 1970s America a nation divided over its involvement in the Vietnam War and, particularly, a country whose white population oppressed indigenous, immigrant, and minority populations.

And in some Native American lores and beliefs, the powerful coyote represents both the possibility of transformation and the archetypal trickster. In certain creation myths, the coyote takes on a Promethean role, teaching humans how to survive. As Levi Strauss also noted, the author of a 1983 book on coyotes compared their resilience to the resistance of the Vietnamese soldier—an equivalence that Beuys would have appreciated.

“You could say that a reckoning has to be made with the coyote, and only then can this trauma be lifted,” he said of his performance. For those three days, he attempted to make eye contact with the coyote while regularly performing symbolic gestures, such as tossing his leather gloves to it or gesticulating wildly at it with his hands and walking stick. Occasionally, he would assume the guise of a shepherd, cloaked in his felt with a hooked walking stick protruding from it.

The lesson from Beuys’s strange performance? That American society could only begin to cure its social ills through direct communication and understanding among its own varied populations. His homage to an ancient American animal deity underscored exactly how young the country was, and that difficult dialogues were of utmost importance if it was to heal its rifts.

As for the coyote, the spirit animal has adapted and thrived, even as the United States has attempted to control the population, killing tens of thousands of the species each year. While America’s divisions have yet to be solved—and its transgressions, some might say, continue in equal measure—the coyote remains a symbol of its resilience and, perhaps, of its potential for transformation."

Also
"Over the course of their cohabitation, Beuys is able to tame the wild coyote, and at one point the coyote actually lays harmlessly upon his lap. In this remarkable piece the wound is recognized and healed. As one commentator puts it, this encounter becomes a “reconciliation between the New World and the Old World, fraternization between different races, animal and man, nature and culture.”"

To add to that is his constant focus on conversation, through his posting of a lot of text conversations as tweets and his songs as phone messages on his website http://www.kanyewest.com

I've been saying from the start that while his "love" for trump is genuine, his message is not a political one, but a philosophical one.

The other two people on his mood board are Andy Kaufman and David Hammons. David Hammons is another artist that he tweeted about a number of times this week https://twitter.com/kanyewest/status/988108879446753280 https://twitter.com/kanyewest/status/988116492817334272

As far as I'm aware, a big part of Hammons' art was the reappropriating of symbolism, of which he said this:

"outrageously magical things happen when you mess around with a symbol."

Kanye famously reappropriated the confederate flag in 2013 (onwards), saying this:

“React how you want. Any energy is good energy. The Confederate flag represented slavery in a way. That’s my abstract take on what I know about it, right? So I wrote the song ‘New Slaves.’ So I took the Confederate flag and made it my flag. It’s my flag now.”

And about the MAGA hat he's said this:

"I feel when people think of MAGA they don't think of empathy." "This is year one. We can't ad empathy to MAGA by hating. We can only ad empathy with love and time and truly hearing all sides"

And on the (slightly rubbish) song with TI:
"I feel a obligation to show people new ideas
And if you wanna hear 'them, there go two right here
Make America Great Again had a negative perception
I took it, wore it, rocked it, gave it a new direction
Added empathy, care and love and affection
And y'all simply questionin' my methods"

Anyway, thought you guys might appreciate it, and might even have more insight into this side of art that I do.

Last edited by mknro on Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mknro

Postby CheerUpBrokeBoy » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:42 pm

hahahahahahaahahahahaaaahhhaaaa
kanye's a fucking master troll, making literally everybody mad in the span of a single week

CheerUpBrokeBoy

Postby mknro » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:25 pm

To expand on the David Hammons idea of reinterpreting symbolism, one of the people closest in Kanye's circle has been tweeting cryptic messages all week. He retweeted Kanye's tweets about Hammons with a spade emoji.

This most likely refers to Hammons' use of the racial slur "spade" in much of his 1970s work, where he liked to "turn racial clichés on their head".

From his wikipedia article

Hammons used spades or shovels as a central component in much of his art from the 1970s, including his two-dimensional, three-dimensional, and performance works, in which the gardening tool represents the deprecating term spade, a common racial slur. In doing so, he also represents his own racial identity as a black male who remembers being referred to by this offensive term. By exploring this symbolic allusion in his sculptures, Hammons directly confronts the use of such language, displaying his commitment to racial reform in America and to the civil rights movement

When Kanye posted the picture of himself wearing a MAGA hat, Kanye's cryptic friend tweeted within 30 minutes: "The prestige" - in reference to the three parts of a magic trick (or the third part itself) - from the movie

When Kanye tweeted his mood board of Beuys, Hammons, Kaufman, this friend retweeted it, bringing it all together

The idea of acts in a trick, the reappropriation of a racist symbol, an emoji of someone wearing a cowboy hat - MAGA hat?, and one further emoji, a wrestler (referring to Kaufman? - famous for his "inter-gender wrestling" performance art)

Anyone, this explicit but cryptic link by someone who's been live-tweeting an insider's perspective throughout lends some credibility to the more artistic interpretations of Kanye's tweets.

Again just another addition to the theory online. I get how it might seem a little farfetched

mknro

Postby bels » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:39 am

Is kanye west an ARG now

bels
Yung Winona

Postby parastexis » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:25 pm

fuck kanye. already threw out all of my clothes whose color can be described as 'dusty'

parastexis

Postby mknro » Tue May 01, 2018 1:35 pm

talks fashion at 1:09:20

mknro

Postby CheerUpBrokeBoy » Wed May 02, 2018 4:07 am

i'm just so tired

CheerUpBrokeBoy

Postby CheerUpBrokeBoy » Wed May 02, 2018 4:29 am

i really wish kanye's music wasn't the defining soundtrack of my most formative years so i wouldn't have this kneejerk reaction to mitigate every dumb thing he says

CheerUpBrokeBoy

Postby mknro » Wed May 02, 2018 5:02 am

3:20

I'm not gonna justify everything he said at TMZ, cause he said quite a few stupid things.

I will however say that he clearly says "when you hear about slavery". He was talking about the choice to focus on slavery in current dialogue rather than on things that in his eyes are helpful in showing a way forward.

Again, I'm biased, and I'm not saying I agree with his thoughts in that regard (I'm not trying to give any sort of opinion on a discussion that I have no part in), just making sure his words are interpreted the right way.

In the Charlamagne interview from 36:40 to 46:30 he touches on the same idea, I believe. (particularly at 37:20 and at 38:00)

mknro

Postby bels » Wed May 02, 2018 2:19 pm

bels wrote:Is kanye west an ARG now

More like an ARGHHHHHHHHH SHUT UPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

bels
Yung Winona

Postby CheerUpBrokeBoy » Thu May 03, 2018 9:41 pm

Last edited by rjbman on Thu May 03, 2018 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added + fixed twitter embeds :)
CheerUpBrokeBoy

Postby costanza » Mon May 07, 2018 4:03 pm

I think he wants to break free of being identified within the group identity of being black. I think he is striving for being viewed as an individual first and then a black person, instead of vice versa. Not to play down what he said, but after saying that slavery is a choice he goes on to say 'we're mentally in prison'.

He is more eloquent about breaking free from tyranny in Saint Pablo:

Most black men couldn't balance a checkbook
But buy a new car, talkin' 'bout "how my neck look?"
Well... it all looks great
Four hundred years later, we buyin' our own chains
The light is before us brothers, so the devil workin' hard
Real family stick together and see through the mirage
The smokescreens, perceptions of false reality
Who the real owner if your boss gets a salary?

Also the new song Ye vs. the People is on the same line:

Y'all been leadin' with hate, see I just approach it different
Like a gang truce, the first Blood to shake the Crip's hand
I know everybody emotional
Is it better if I rap about crack? Huh? 'Cause it's cultural?
Or how about I'ma shoot you? Or fuck your bitch?
Or how about all this Gucci, 'cause I'm fuckin' rich?

costanza

Postby windowflowers » Mon May 07, 2018 10:26 pm

well, relating to that

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainme ... ye/559763/

pretty great article by ta-nahisi coates

windowflowers

Postby CheerUpBrokeBoy » Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:31 pm

what'd you guys think of the album? i'm a big fan

CheerUpBrokeBoy

Postby rjbman » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:28 pm

ghost towns is good

just gonna leave this here though

rjbman

Postby mknro » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:57 am

I'm not massive on it. you can tell it was made in a month. kinda sad that he scrapped the album he was building towards after the whole tmz incident, hopefully we still get that at some point.

I liked some directions he went sonically but his lyrics for 50% of the album just weren't for me.

I can appreciate that this album is very clearly made more for himself than for anyone else and in that regard it's cool to hear but not something I'll come back to as much as I do his other work.

Very excited about Kids See Ghosts this friday though

mknro

Postby vgtbls » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:19 pm

Imagine flying to Wyoming to listen to your favorite artist play a 24 minute album, and the album is also bad

vgtbls

Previous

Return to Care