koji cultured butter palmiers

sourdough brioche buns

bourekas with tahini, fermented serranos, and la-yu

buckwheat/rye tart, pistachio frangipane, strawbs
UnwashedMolasses

Re: back to the kitchen, that pyrex vision

Post by UnwashedMolasses »

late night drunk snacks

toast w/olive oil + salt, goat cheese, french-style scrambled eggs, black pep, chives from the garden, tomato (actually had like three per toast)

seasoned roasted potatoes, crema, tapatio, esquites
judith_pancake

Post by judith_pancake »

To those asking about the koji palmiers--- I grew koji on rice, as you would to make miso, shoyu, etc. and I just cultured cream for a day or two with it. Shook the hell outa it and tada, butter. I tried to get a fair amount of the water out because for properly laminated doughs you need high quality, high butterfat content butter, which is usually 83% or above. This is so the layers stay intact between the layers of dough, rather than melding together (sad) or the butter sheets cracking (sad).

So yea, palmiers are just puff pastry with sugar and a little salt rolled into the final layers, and then coated in sugar so they get a bit carmelized. I fuck around with puff pastry a lot because I make bourekas a lot and they need a seriously light puff pastry to be special and cloudy.

Koji butter has slightly more umami flavor than standard cultured butter. This works well in baking---that's why miso is so nice in cookies.

When making puff you can do a standard puff, which includes a butter "lock in" that is enveloped into a very simple dough and then laminated. Or you can do an inverted puff, where the butter is on the outside, wrapped around the dough. This one requires a bit more practice and speed to get down.

For a classic smallish batch of puff you can use:
280g flour (I do 50/50 bread and APF)
130g water
28g butter-- tempered that goes into the dough
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp lemon juice (or slightly more)
225g high quality butter (Kerrigold works or any other nice butter which cite their butterfat content or koji butter if you're into that kind of thing) and a sprinkle of flour for the lock in

Anyway I won't write through the whole shebang but I'm happy to if anyone actually wants to make them.

Oh and here's some bread in case that was boring. It's sourdough and uses T85, red bug wheat, and graham flour.
funyuns

Post by funyuns »

On the topic of puff pastries, I recently figured out how to properly do a Cantonese style puff pastry (egg tarts...!), which involves laminating two different types of dough (one water based, one oil based). The water will fluff up pastry as it bakes, which gives a really nice airy puff without being overly rich like western puff doughs

I’ve been a little unmotivated with cooking recently but i did a boba after hoarding boba from boba shortages...

oat milk boba - saw this interesting way of making milk tea by first dry stir frying tea leaves with brown sugar, then deglazing with milk. Turns out with some nice roast-y notes but very easy to make too sweet
foxtail_grass
First Prestige
First Prestige

Post by foxtail_grass »

I know there’s already some gems shared, but can y’all share your online cooking resources- blogs or yt or what have you. I have always come across the Woks of Life blog thru googling recipes and it pretty much always delivers. My mom gifted me a sub to NYT cooking and it gives me some good inspo, I’d give it a B+
judith_pancake

Post by judith_pancake »

@ques, for cooking I mostly riff unless I'm learning a cuisine I'm unfamiliar with, like right now I'm learning some Iranian things I haven't done before. Or when I learned hella curries, I def referenced recipes. Baking-wise I have a lot of recipes on hand that I've written that were probably based on someones at some point. Like I'll take a recipe, maybe make it as is (more often I cut the sugar and nearly double the salt first go) and then I'll play with it. I like baking with whole grain flour and whole spices, which is not generally just a swap situation, it requires some different treatment. With baking, I tend to try to understand what's happening rather than following recipes because then I can see how to adjust comfortably instead of blind precise measurement--which is basically how everyone starts out. But that makes it so scary so it's nicer now that I understand it better. I've been baking as a hobby and for work for kind of a while now and have fucked up so many things that I don't stress as hard now.

For the food I grew up making-- like middle eastern stuff and jewish stuff, I definitely do it solely by feel. Like if I'm making falafel, matbucha, shakshuka or perogi I wouldn't even know where to start with measuring. Same goes with pickling and fermenting.

But yea if anyone ever is looking for baking recipes, def ask me because I have a lot written up since I send shit to people very often.

@foxtail_grass for cooking resources I don't have a ton of go-tos but I like David Lebovitz a lot and he has tons of stuff on his website and updates regularly. Smitten Kitchen is kinda like a mommy blog now but she does a good job and is a nice place to start your research. My partner uses "How to cook everything Vegetarian" by Mark Bittman for inspiration sometimes--- they are not a cook and it's very approachable and vast (there's an omnivore version as well). I'm like super wary of following recipes online because there's so much trash so if I'm making something I really don't know shit about I do a ton of comparison and write something up based on a middle ground and my preferences.
foxtail_grass
First Prestige
First Prestige

Post by foxtail_grass »

funyuns wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 3:14 am I’ve been a little unmotivated with cooking recently but i did a boba after hoarding boba from boba shortages...

oat milk boba - saw this interesting way of making milk tea by first dry stir frying tea leaves with brown sugar, then deglazing with milk. Turns out with some nice roast-y notes but very easy to make too sweet
Can you explain how do the oat milk boba in a bit more detail? I almost ruined my wok attempting this- the sugar instantly hardened
funyuns

Post by funyuns »

omfg lol sorry

yeah i think you’ll get the sugar hardened and sticking onto the wok (my experience too) but as the oat milk simmers the sugar will soften and dissolve

there’s a bunch of videos flying around chinese language social media but here’s one example:

https://www.xiaohongshu.com/discovery/i ... 000100bcb7
yljt

Post by yljt »

do you have any go-to recipes that you often return to? for me it's this gumbo recipe i've probably made it two dozen times at this point: https://www.vice.com/en/article/z489zy/ ... sage-gumbo

i'd love to know what others are cooking (and hopefully be inspired to learn some new tricks in the kitchen). i think food is definitely one of the ways i cope with the winter and reduced sunlight
bels
First Prestige
First Prestige

Post by bels »

oucho

Post by oucho »

My favourite new FAST recipe, although it's more of a summer thing really, is pea pesto. I really like pesto because of all the different variations you can do on it + it tastes good but blending a normal pesto is a hellish nightmare for me. If you put a bunch of peas in the whole thing blends much more easily in a normal blender. You just cook the peas and put them in the blender with the herbs.

The last one I made was peas, garlic, parlsey, rocket, lemon and chilli.
funyuns

Post by funyuns »

when im lazy and i do silken tofu and century egg with whatever stir fried greens i have on the side
breloom

Post by breloom »

my goto lazy dinner recipe these days https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/dubu-gangjeong
pudgytaco

Post by pudgytaco »

definitely oyakodon, i always have chicken, egg, onion, and rice on hand. i never have dashi so add some msg or it's fine without it
judith_pancake

Post by judith_pancake »

re: easy shit

i call this one lazy bitch tom kha

1) wash and put sticky rice in rice cooker

2) slice onion(eyebrows not rainbows), bash lemongrass, slice a tomato. sauté for a minute. add coconut milk and vegetable stock from freezer. balance with shoyu/miri/palm sugar/whatever

3) add cubed tofu and sautéed sliced mushrooms. if no lemongrass add hella lemon zest.

4) squeeze like 4 limes into soup. top with pile of coriander, sliced serrano chilis, and chili oil.
bbenjjii

Post by bbenjjii »

I've made like 1 thing off it so I can't vouch for everything,, but my favorite Fast+Vegan recipe website to tell ppl about at least is "The Vegan Stoner"
(the idea being that when he's high, he wants delicious vegan food asap)
DeafIdiotGod

Post by DeafIdiotGod »

Very nice way to have some leftover curry is to make a sort of eggy Kathi roll out of it. Get a frozen chapati/paratha, cook it until mostly done then put a scrambled egg (seasoned) on top and flip over until it's cooked onto the bread after a few secs forming an eggy lining (egg will spill out, just tuck it under). Put some curry (or whatever you like) on the egg side and wrap.