Off topic

Re: Wat-er polaver

Postby bels » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:51 am

This looks pretty incredible.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby adiabatic » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:03 pm

when did 350ml ever matter to any full-sized adult? that's like two, maybe three good swigs

“clothing for attractive rich people in their 20s to go to weddings in” — Zack Johnson on Vineyard Vines
adiabatic

Postby vgtbls » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:23 pm

what, do you only have one forearm? sounds like a Hater talking

vgtbls

Postby adiabatic » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:39 pm

Evidently all the people in the ads do. They're only wearing one apiece.

I thought about the tan-line implications of this and figured normal people would alternate between left and right arms.

I stand by my assertion that a little less than half a wine bottle is too little liquid for anything that isn't booze.

“clothing for attractive rich people in their 20s to go to weddings in” — Zack Johnson on Vineyard Vines
adiabatic

Postby sagc » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:26 pm

The second you make it big enough to be useful, I bet it'll be too heavy to use - especially just on one arm.

if this is already a joke that's going over my head, please don't tell me

sagc

Postby bels » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:41 am

http://road.cc/content/tech-news/223887 ... eek-refill

Handy app to triangulate the best location for your kk recharge.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby oucho » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:10 pm

this coat but instead of padding it's full of water you can drink

oucho

Postby smiles » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:51 pm

This coat, but but instead of air its filled with Pocari Sweat.

草地跑過的腳印
smiles

Postby mellownyellow » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:21 pm

@bels requested that i post my water bottle in this thread. I use this one:

It has a built in cup that I never use but it helps me transport the correct amount of water to and from work in a lightweight and convenient way.

mellownyellow

Postby adiabatic » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:20 am

gwern.net: Tea: Water Experiment.

The abstract:

The kind of water used in tea is claimed to make a difference in the flavor: mineral water being better than tap water or distilled water. However, mineral water is vastly more expensive than tap water. To test the claim, I run a preliminary test of pure water to see if any water differences are detectable at all. compared my tap water, 3 distilled water brands (Great Value, Nestle Pure Life, & Poland Spring), 1 osmosis-purified brand (Aquafina), and 3 non-carbonated mineral water brands (Evian, Voss, & Fiji) in a series of n=67 blinded randomized comparisons of water flavor. The comparisons are modeled using a Bradley-Terry competitive model implemented in Stan; comparisons were chosen using an adaptive Bayesian best-arm sequential trial method designed to locate the best-tasting water in the minimum number of samples by preferentially comparing the best-known arm to potentially superior arms. Blinding & randomization are achieved by using a Lazy Susan to physically randomize two identical (but marked in a hidden spot) cups of water. The final posterior distribution indicates that some differences between waters are likely to exist but are small & imprecisely estimated and of little practical concern.

The penultimate paragraph:

With additional data, the wide posterior distributions began to contract around 0. At around n=67, I was bored stiff and not looking forward to sampling Evian/Great Value/Nestle many more times, and looking at the posterior distributions, it increasingly seemed like an exercise in futility. That is, further testing would probably show Evian/Great Value/Nestle as worse than the rest, but be unable to meaningfully distinguish between my tap water and the decent ones, which answered the original question - no, the decent mineral waters & waters are almost indistinguishable under even the most optimal taste-testing conditions, would be less distinguishable when used in hot tea, and there was zero chance they were worth their enormous cost compared to my free tap water & were a scam as I expected. (After all, they are many times more expensive on a unit basis compared even to bottled water; the mineral contents are generally trivial fractions of RDAs at their highest; and they appear to be as equally likely to taste worse or better to the extent they taste different at all.)

adiabatic

Postby bels » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:10 am

http://www.motherjones.com/environment/ ... dangerous/

The original fear that spawned the Klean Kanteen revolution is back for part 2.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby bels » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:42 am

This article focuses ethnographically on Americans and technologies of drinking water, as tokens of and vehicles for health, agency, and surprising kinds of community. Journalists and water scholars have argued that bottled water is a material concomitant of privatization and alienation in U.S. society. But, engaging Latour, this research shows that water technologies and the groups they assemble, are plural. Attention to everyday entwining of workplace lives with drinking fountains, single-serve bottles, and spring water coolers shows us several different quests, some individualized, some alienated, but some seeking health via public, collective care, acknowledgment of stakeholding, and community organizing. Focused on water practices on a sixth form campus, in the roaring 1990s and increasingly sober 2000s in the context of earlier U.S. water histories of inclusion and exclusion, I draw on ethnographic research from the two years that led up to the recession and the presidential election of 2008. I argue for understanding of water value through attention to water use, focusing both on the social construction of water and the use of water for social construction.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... 110.x/full does anyone have access?

bels
Yung Winona

Postby vgtbls » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:47 pm

vgtbls

Postby duane » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:50 am

tells you how much you should be drinking throughout the day

duane

Previous

Return to Care