Care-Hair

off topic
SyntacticallyCorrect

Care-Hair

Post by SyntacticallyCorrect »

Post your mane

After 5-6 years of just growing it out without any intention/shaping I decided to try out bangs/shag. A return to form.

rjbman
Site Admin

Re: Care-Hair

Post by rjbman »

got a mullet during pandemic

~*~ cut my life into pieces, this is my last resort ~*~
CMYK

Post by CMYK »

used pandemique to get over the awkward grow out phase and now there's no going back

titkitten

Post by titkitten »

Spoiler:
ive always had a turbulent relationship with my hair -- growing up attending a predominantly white school and consuming media with only white beauty standards, i hated how straight and flat my hair was. i was always trying to get it to "have volume", have "texture" -- hairsprays, heat styling, deep side parts, once a disastrous perm. my parents always told me my hair was beautiful, it was so straight and black, but i hated how "uncooperative" it was, how it refused to do anything but lie pin straight against my head.

all yall may remember i went through a period of blonde/neon hair, when i was diy bleaching it every month. i loved bleaching my hair because when it was all damaged and fried, it had texture and volume; with a deep side part, it was a reasonable approximation of hairstyles i'd seen in seventeen magazine in 2006. looking back it seems poetic that the only way i could get it fit into my perceived white beauty standard was to damage it.

anyway around this time last year, in an intentional effort to Accept The Way I Was, i stopped bleaching and started parting my hair in the middle. i think it's interesting that on tiktok right now there rages a war between gen zers and millenials about the middle vs side part. i can't help but see it through the lense of my own experience, but i wonder how much of the middle part movement is related to the new generation being more tolerant of non-white beauty ideals. the straight black hair parted in the middle is a relatively traditional chinese beauty standard (black and smooth like silk, they say) -- especially these days, it almost feels like an active demonstration of asian solidarity and pride.

sorry to be so deep on hair, but it's incredible how much cultural and emotional baggage is involved. this most recent bachelor season featured the first black bachelor, who spoke with a black contestant on national television about both their struggles with accepting their natural hair. it's slice of life: both so insignificant yet so personally important.
dislikes: the bachelor
_Organism

Post by _Organism »

aw man any one really wish they could get their hair cut during this "pandemic" thing?
_Organism

Post by _Organism »

@skunk ape it's care-tags own 350 ppm Ocean Acidification shirt
and don't worry rjb I was only joking
foxtail_grass
First Prestige
First Prestige

Post by foxtail_grass »

titkitten wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:47 pm
Spoiler:
ive always had a turbulent relationship with my hair -- growing up attending a predominantly white school and consuming media with only white beauty standards, i hated how straight and flat my hair was. i was always trying to get it to "have volume", have "texture" -- hairsprays, heat styling, deep side parts, once a disastrous perm. my parents always told me my hair was beautiful, it was so straight and black, but i hated how "uncooperative" it was, how it refused to do anything but lie pin straight against my head.

all yall may remember i went through a period of blonde/neon hair, when i was diy bleaching it every month. i loved bleaching my hair because when it was all damaged and fried, it had texture and volume; with a deep side part, it was a reasonable approximation of hairstyles i'd seen in seventeen magazine in 2006. looking back it seems poetic that the only way i could get it fit into my perceived white beauty standard was to damage it.

anyway around this time last year, in an intentional effort to Accept The Way I Was, i stopped bleaching and started parting my hair in the middle. i think it's interesting that on tiktok right now there rages a war between gen zers and millenials about the middle vs side part. i can't help but see it through the lense of my own experience, but i wonder how much of the middle part movement is related to the new generation being more tolerant of non-white beauty ideals. the straight black hair parted in the middle is a relatively traditional chinese beauty standard (black and smooth like silk, they say) -- especially these days, it almost feels like an active demonstration of asian solidarity and pride.

sorry to be so deep on hair, but it's incredible how much cultural and emotional baggage is involved. this most recent bachelor season featured the first black bachelor, who spoke with a black contestant on national television about both their struggles with accepting their natural hair. it's slice of life: both so insignificant yet so personally important.
Thank you for this reflection! I too have had a tense relationship between what I have and what I thought I wanted. Being mixed race my hair always felt different from everyone around me. When I was a kid I had platinum blonde hair that darkened over time into a deep brown. It has always been straight, but thick. And my parents really reinforced traditional standards of beauty- long locks (which to me conjures up images of mormon women with their elaborate braids). My hair never felt like mine. And then I went to art school and even more external standards of coolness took their toll on my head. Yes, I had the Miley Cyrus cut. (Before her tho ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) )

Shaving my head means not having to worry about my hair. Which relates to absolving myself of all the negative ties that hair has been associated with throughout my life. While I like the way I look with hair, I feel like having none is a good reset, so that I can be more intuitive with how I present myself.

Also now I rub coconut oil on my head a few times a week, as well as do this comb-tapping massage thing I saw a Korean grandma do on yt. I have always had dry/dandruff flakes; massaging into the scalp feels invigorating.
edmund

Post by edmund »

i love my current haircut but it's been the same for 6 years, going to buzz + bleach it after i go to this wedding

does anyone have any tips/product recs for bleaching a buzz cut? any bleaches that won't hurt my scalp ect.
titkitten

Post by titkitten »

i’ve never tried to bleach a buzz cut but given my experience with bleaching my hair normally i’m going to guess that it’ll be tough. with short hair, you have very little room to work with re: applying the bleach to the whole strand while also avoiding the scalp. additionally, since the hair is short so it stands up, the bleach will be pulled by gravity toward your scalp (compared to long hair that lies flat so the bleach is not pulled by gravity). my advice is, if you can, to leave your hair uncut and bleach the roots before buzzing. i guess you’ll only be able to do that the first time so i have no advice on how to maintain the colour as your hair grows out. i know someone here (weqe maybe?) has a partner that does hair — maybe better/more professional advice is imminent.
dislikes: the bachelor
bels
First Prestige
First Prestige

Post by bels »

My hairdresser told me to get some "salt spray" for my hair. It's literally salt and water in a fucking spray bottle. Can't believe I got duped like this.
griffin

Post by griffin »

literally mfa 101, you should have known better
bbenjjii

Post by bbenjjii »

edmund wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:51 pm i love my current haircut but it's been the same for 6 years, going to buzz + bleach it after i go to this wedding

does anyone have any tips/product recs for bleaching a buzz cut? any bleaches that won't hurt my scalp ect.
ages ago (if i remember correctly), some tiktok videos told me you should try to do a 3-5ish day process with like "10" or "20 volume developer"
...or something
basically it's less hydrogen peroxide & so is nicer to your head ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

i just searched "10 volume developer hair" & got this website:
https://www.bangstyle.com/posts/what-vo ... i-use-4299
foxtail_grass
First Prestige
First Prestige

Post by foxtail_grass »

Growing out my bleached buzz to frosted tips has been fun but I am not looking forward to the next phase of skunked shag. Does anyone have experience dyeing bleached and natty hair? I worry if I dye it all black the bleached section will look different from the natural.
ParallaxisRemix

Post by ParallaxisRemix »

I don't understand how my hair works :oops:

breloom

Post by breloom »

i've picked up swimming, and tips on how to protect my hair?
SyntacticallyCorrect

Post by SyntacticallyCorrect »

Shag update

Mickael56

Post by Mickael56 »

My hair is really thin and the slightest breeze blows it in all directions. I have to constantly put gel in to hold it in place, but it's not really ideal for the hair.