women's health

Off topic

women's health

Postby titkitten » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:30 am

hi guys

i'm fairly certain we don't have a thread like this one yet and i am borderline obsessed with talking about women's health. so... let's talk about it!

no beating around the bush -- i wanted to start a discussion about period products. these seem to be super in vogue at the moment (thanks to buzzfeed and similar, from what i can tell). there are period panties (thinkx???), period swimsuits, period leggings... alternative period products are really gaining momentum from where i'm standing (cups, cloth pads, sponges, etc). i'd love to hear your thoughts or experiences.

personally i have been using a cup (the same one!) since 2010. i can't even remember where i heard about them but at the time there certainly wasn't an abundance of options like there are now... i don't think there were even any in the US, only one brand in the UK. i was visiting my friend in sheffield/manchester and i stopped by a boots to buy one. it obviously took some practice to get right but since then i have never used any disposable products and i've never looked back. i highly highly recommend them for anyone who:
  • cares about sustainability
  • hates that pad wet-feeling or the aesthetics of used tampons
  • thinks that spending money on period products every month puts a damper on an already annoying situation
  • has heavier flows and feels like they are constantly changing out their products
  • has a period
definitely takes some getting used to, and for me the biggest thing was getting blood on my hands. but pushing past that contributed to becoming more comfortable about my body in a larger way.

i can feel a wall of text coming on so i'm going to stop here for now; if you want to learn some more, this girl has an incredibly prolific youtube account! or ask me questions so i have an excuse to continue to talk about women's health.

sidebar: i'd also love to open the discussion to birth control, hormones (do we have any trans folk on ct??), or anything else that's related to women's health. (i recently got an iud and would love to also answer questions about those if you have any, or hear your experiences with whatever you'd like to share!)

Image Image Image
titkitten

Re: women's health

Postby sknss » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:44 am

Yes! I love my cup! It's just so amazing not to have to throw away all this trash every month. I often forget that I have it on, which is another plus.

How do you like the IUD? I've been thinking about getting one, but I'm worried about how painful the insertion is.

sknss
2015 Summer Camp Participant

Postby titkitten » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:31 pm

@sknss: so true! it feels like nothing and can hang out there for much longer (both in terms of capacity and safety reasons). i get a kick out of thinking about all the trash i've saved for the past seven years and it feels so nice to have a one-and-done solution vs having to constantly restock supplies. ps, have you seen this new one? it's so beautiful and elegant (:

iud so far is a+. (i got the kyleena. here's a nice chart comparing brands and dosages.) i got mine in june so it's still a little early (two months in) but so far only positive comments. pain during actual insertion is two brief sharp pinches -- it does hurt but it's basically nothing in the grand scheme of things. i think the more relevant concern may be cramping afterwards (could last a day or so?) but it varies person by person and i had virtually none. i don't cramp during my period so maybe that is a factor.

side effects wise, no big changes to report (besides a little spotting and no period). that's a huge difference from taking combo pills, which my body really didn't receive well.

Image Image Image
titkitten

Postby npuox » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:25 pm

i`m not a women - however I believe health is very important - i work out in the room and like to eat vitamin

npuox

Postby rjbman » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:54 pm

@npuox that's cool! this thread is specifically around women's health though.

we talk about lifting in viewtopic.php?f=3&t=229 if you are into that! also have some running thread viewtopic.php?f=3&t=422&p=83194

"Let's be vagabonds." - Yohji Yamamoto
rjbman

Postby raags » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:36 pm

just a gentle reminder that all ppl with vaginas are not women, nor do all women have vaginas ! i hope this thread is also open to trans women or people with vaginas who are not women ! (love)

raags
Best Dressed

Return to Care