Music is my boyfriend

Off topic

Re: Music is my boyfriend

Postby Stolsdos » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:30 am

@riley I found it fairly underwhelming, this is coming from a longtime Burial fan. I liked rival dealer more also sooo :(

Stolsdos

Postby BIGBEE » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:19 pm

probably the most mediocre burial release in a while, but its comforting to know he's still alive and making music. I like the second track a lot.

BIGBEE

Postby Stolsdos » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:09 pm

Also this:

Stolsdos

Postby riley » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:14 pm

im feelin a bit underwhelmed as well, there were some surprising choices in samples tho, didnt expect he'd ever use a skull kid laugh, as well as the last ninja 2 sample after rabit did the same thing on tearz

riley

Postby bels » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:34 am

found this quite droll

bels
Yung Winona

Postby ramseames » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:08 am

this is wild

ramseames

Postby anotherdayhere » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:34 pm

new at the drive-in is so bad, i have never been this disappointed for music I have waited such a long time for. at least tribe didn't let me down :(

anotherdayhere

Postby chadnik » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:25 pm

I came across Arthur Russell a few months ago—I haven't fallen so deeply and obsessively for an artist in a long time. His music was impressively genre-bending, ranging from minimalist electronic dance/disco, country/folk, spare ambient songs with just cello and voice, prog, drone pop (?)... That being said, there are lot of commonalities across his tunes—most songs almost obsessively playing out a handful of themes/lyrics, and they all feature his lovely, versatile, froggy voice. He collaborated with Steve Reich, David Byrne, Phillip Glass, and played backing cello for Allen Ginsberg (whom he briefly dated).

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq5gjfN5lns[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noUFv2ZUFKM[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDX0I_14OY0[/youtube]

chadnik

Postby ramseames » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:33 am

@bobbyzamora that's the thing, its a real product

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pi ... n-on-vinyl

i get the appeal of vinyl in terms of it being tangible/pleasingly imperfect but i agree, its not 'better' than FLACs and the price of new LP releases is honestly fucked

ramseames

Postby bels » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:43 am

What's fucked about them? I assume it's pretty expensive to crank out vinyl these days and it's basically produced for "enthusiasts" and "superfans" to buy a premium product and "support the artists" ?

I feel like it's OK to have these as expensive, overpriced limited edition macguffins that subsidise a medium. If you want to hear the music, get the mp3, if you want to SUPPORT THE INDUSTRY then get the vinyl (and the mp3, obviously)

bels
Yung Winona

Postby nope » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:07 am

The vinyl resurgence (vinyl sales overtake digital sales for first time in UK etc (actually that seems to mostly be down to digital sales crashing as well but whatever)) is actually really messing things up for a lot of people. There's very few pressing plants left, and setting up a new one is almost impossible because nobody makes the equipment any more. This means that small labels who can only afford to press (and often will be lucky to sell) a run of 300 are finding it harder and harder to get their stuff made, as the remaining presses will always prioritise pressing x thousand copies of a neon green "limited edition" reissue of some shit brit-pop album so cunts who watch top gear can buy them for £30+ and never listen to them.

To be fair most of them probably don't watch top gear. That was unwarranted, and unkind to vinyl buyers.

For years now Record Store Day has flooded the plants with this sort of nonsense for a couple of months every year, but it's just getting worse. As someone who buys shitloads of records and knows lots of people trying to run aforementioned small labels the whole thing is a bit of a sore spot.

nope

Postby rublev » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:04 am

most of the pressing is done in germany and the czech republic

just wait till brexit

anyway, interesting NYT article - 'Czech Company, Pressing Hits for Years on Vinyl, Finds It Has Become One'

Spoiler:

LODENICE, Czech Republic — He was a businessman, not a clairvoyant. Zdenek Pelc did not really foresee, a generation ago, that vinyl records would one day make a return from near extinction.

But he was smart enough to keep a vinyl record factory here, a relic of the Communist era, through all those years when albums gave way to CDs and then to iTunes and streaming, and to be ready when vinyl suddenly got hot again.

And that is why this village of 1,800, nestled in a lush furl of the Bohemian hills, improbably finds itself a world leader in the production of vinyl albums.

“I realized when I came to the company 33 years ago that vinyl would be finished one day,” said Mr. Pelc, 64, who now owns GZ Media and serves as president. “But I wanted our company to be the last one to stop making them.”

The trajectory of the company — and the village it once dominated — traces the Czech Republic’s transition to quirky capitalist colt from cranky Communist nag, all played to the kind of rock soundtrack that accompanies many modern Czech tales.

Instead of getting rid of the old equipment and moving CD-making machines into their space — as most music production companies around the world did in the late 1980s and early ’90s — Mr. Pelc kept only enough machines running to meet the dwindling demand, moving the rest into storage and cannibalizing their parts as needed.

“Frankly, if someone had told me back then that vinyl would return, I wouldn’t have believed it,” he said.

In 1994, a year after the Czech Republic was founded with the division of Czechoslovakia, the company turned out 300,000 albums for a dwindling coterie of analog enthusiasts around the world. In 2014, driven by a global explosion of interest in vinyl, the company produced 14.5 million, Mr. Pelc said.

This year, the company expects to produce around 20 million albums, most likely edging out global rivals like United Record Pressing in Nashville and Optimal Media in Röbel, Germany.

“Vinyl rose from the ashes,” Mr. Pelc said happily.

Lodenice (LO-dyen-ee-tsay) was caught one recent morning in the gray embrace of low-hanging clouds. Mayor Vaclav Bauer, 53, sat in his wood-beamed office, a whiskery portrait of the Austro-Hungarian Emperor Franz Joseph I on the wall behind him.

“In the historical records, the village is mentioned as far back as the 11th century,” Mr. Bauer said. “Originally, it was a town of lumbermen and woodworkers.”

Quality testing vinyl albums at GZ Media in Lodenice, a village of 1,800 people nestled in the Bohemian hills that has become a world leader in the industry. Credit Petr Josek/Reuters
The building at the heart of the GZ Media complex today is more than 100 years old and originally housed a weaving company. Later, in a nod to the village’s woodworking tradition, workers produced cabinets for gramophones. In 1951, the Communist authorities decided to move the country’s vinyl-record production to the plant as well.

“In those days, this was a company town,” said Jaroslava Bezrova, 67, the village’s registrar since 1976. “They employed everyone.”

Albums were popular around the world, but they have a special resonance in the region, where they became underground totems in the rock-infused Velvet Revolution that overthrew Communism in Czechoslovakia in 1989.

Under Communism, the company produced many records for sale in other countries, including rock classics forbidden in Czechoslovakia. Copies smuggled out of the plant or sold on the black market were extremely valuable.

All the Lodenice plant was turning out for local consumption were official records to accompany weddings, funerals and various patriotic celebrations, as well as recorded fairy tales and hits from state-approved singers.

“You would buy the record on the black market and bring it home and invite all of your friends over,” Mr. Bauer said. “It was an occasion.”

Phono.cz, a vinyl and turntable store in Prague. Vinyl records began to show new signs of life a decade ago, driven by their use in nightclubs and their embrace by a new generation drawn to the format’s warmer sound. Credit Pavel Horejsi for The New York Times
By the time Mr. Pelc joined the company in the early 1980s, vinyl had already been losing ground to cassette tapes. But the arrival of the CD seemed to seal its doom.

By the early ’90s, the vinyl album was all but extinct.

Yet something else was happening in Lodenice at the same time.

Communism had fallen, and GZ Media went private. Mr. Pelc became one of the investors and, after many years, the owner. At the same time, a new highway was built, putting Prague just a 40-minute drive away.

“Suddenly, new housing began to go up,” Mr. Bauer said. “The new residents were not company workers, but people who’d had enough of Prague and wanted to get out.”

Now, Ms. Bezrova said, only 8 percent of the village’s population works for GZ Media.

The link between the company and the town has become gradually more distant, though poor retirees are still provided reduced-price meals in the company canteen, and Mr. Pelc showed up at the official opening of a new commercial center.

There are five restaurants in the village now, including a couple that cater to the cosmopolitan tastes of the Prague exiles. Housing prices have shot up, too, forcing many of the factory’s 1,400 full-time workers to commute.

The owner of the company, Zdenek Pelc, said GZ Media produced 300,000 records in 1994, but, with the global resurgence in the popularity of vinyl, it expects to produce 20 million this year. Credit Pavel Horejsi for The New York Times
“Now our problem is finding space in the grammar schools for new children,” Ms. Bezrova said.

Much to the surprise of Lodenice, and to executives at GZ Media, vinyl records began to show new signs of life a decade ago, driven by their use in nightclubs and their embrace by a new generation drawn to the format’s warmer sound.

“From around 2005, the demand for vinyl grew steadily,” said Michael Sterba, GZ Media’s chief executive. “Then, it really took off in the last two or three years, like, whoosh.”

There are no reliable statistics for global sales of vinyl records, taking into account the large players like GZ Media as well as the many small operations that turn out a few thousand units.

Optimal, one of the company’s largest competitors, estimates that it will produce 18 million albums this year, nearly matching GZ’s projections.

In 2011, the number of vinyl albums sold in the United States, the world’s largest market, was 3.9 million, according to Nielsen and Billboard’s annual U.S. Music Report. That rose to 9.2 million units in 2014.

Other countries that have experienced skyrocketing vinyl sales include Australia, Britain, France, Germany and the Netherlands.

Vinyl record production at GZ Media. Under Communism, the company produced many records for sale in other countries, including rock classics forbidden in Czechoslovakia. Credit Pavel Horejsi for The New York Times
“Only an idiot thinks this can go on forever,” Mr. Sterba said. “Maybe making vinyl is a fashion that will disappear in a few years. Who knows? No one predicted this.”

Mr. Sterba strode rapidly through the labyrinth separating the cluster of GZ Media buildings.

In one of the mastering rooms, he watched intently as a diamond knife cut narrow grooves into a copper plate, the first step in the album-making process. There are only 23 such machines left in the world, he said, and GZ Media has four of them.

Now, instead of cannibalizing a dwindling number of old machines for parts, the company has its own technicians who maintain all of the machines they can get their hands on. The competitive search for derelict equipment continues constantly. “Africa is a good place to look,” Mr. Sterba said.

In a noisy factory space, workers grab pucks of vinyl, heated to 170 degrees, and gently place them on the stamp, a nickel plate made from the master. The pressing machines, using 150 tons of pressure, squash the pliable vinyl into an album that is slipped out of the machine and placed on a tall metal spindle to cool for 16 hours.

GZ Media has 49 presses, including six new machines built by a Czech company to GZ’s specifications. They are the first new equipment manufactured in decades to produce vinyl records, Mr. Sterba said.

Mr. Pelc, unexpectedly finding himself atop a Bohemian gold mine, said he, too, would like to know how long the boom will last.

“I know this,” he said, grinning broadly. “We’re seeing 50 percent growth now, and it is a long way from 50 to zero.”

rublev
Political Editor

Postby ramseames » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:40 pm

Bought my sister a couple newer releases for her birthday a few months ago and it was literally $90 for the pair

I'm not a vinyl person myself so I could just be out of the loop with regards to historical/fair pricing but it just feels absurd

Last edited by ramseames on Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ramseames

Postby alby » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:50 pm

a lot of new LPs feel justified around 14-20 usd in my opinion, since often they come with art and a digital download. i think this is a good way to support the artist, since any other music I listen to is via streaming and i know artists get shit cuts for that. any of the super deluxe bullshit lps that sell for over 25+ is shitty in my mind. i don't quite understand why I can get aeroplane over the sea on one LP for 15$ but the deluxe edition costs like 34$ or some for a double lp which is more inconvenient. same quality on both tbh.

im at a weird intersection w/ vinyl right now because when I got into it I picked up a shitty turntable (just like everyone else getting into it) and the turntable is slowly doing a lot of damage to my records ( more so than a normal turntable) and that worries me. everyone buying a crosley and lp60 be wary.

i'd walk a mile for a camel
alby

Postby sunblam » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:52 pm

[youtube]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IUykScNRbRc[/youtube]

a friend took me to one of his shows about a yer and a half ago
really lovely music

Hello hello
I love you I love you
(maybe)
sunblam

Postby BobbyZamora » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:21 am

bels wrote:What's fucked about them? I assume it's pretty expensive to crank out vinyl these days and it's basically produced for "enthusiasts" and "superfans" to buy a premium product and "support the artists" ?

I feel like it's OK to have these as expensive, overpriced limited edition macguffins that subsidise a medium. If you want to hear the music, get the mp3, if you want to SUPPORT THE INDUSTRY then get the vinyl (and the mp3, obviously)

I'm probably more annoyed by vinyl fanaticism than most because I am aware of how it bleeds in to other places.

For example, the vinyl purism/elitism that exists among DJ's. There's this general attitude among DJ's that you aren't a real DJ unless you're spinning vinyl. If you use a Controller or even CDJ's, many DJ's will think less of you immediately, regardless of how well you mix or how well you can rock a party. It can get super annoying, especially when most of these guys end up using DVS and running it through Serato just like everybody else, but I guess because they have a pair of Technic's they're better DJ's somehow? It's even more dumb when it's some 45 year old wedding DJ with a visor who regularly plays the Chicken Dance lecturing you about how real DJing is done with Vinyl.

Vinyl is also objectively worse quality than most digital files. Even low bitrate digital files are a bit better in a way- they might have less fidelity but Vinyl literally just cannot reproduce some of the lower sub-bass frequencies present in a lot of modern music.

Even if you do want to spin on purely just vinyl, you now have to deal with inflated costs for each record you buy thanks to the fact that vinyl is trendy. Which is even worse when you realize your records will get fucked up or stolen at some point and you will have to replace them no matter what you do to protect them, if you are DJing with them.

It doesn't help that most of the best dance records don't even get pressed to Vinyl, in fact most of them are on some tiny producer's soundcloud just hanging in with less than a million plays and a free lossless download.

B)
BobbyZamora

Postby jrisk » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:47 am

what's ur personal top albums of 2016? here's mine, mostly ranked by play count:

Mitski — Puberty 2
Blood Orange — Freetown Sound
Frank Ocean — Blonde
Solange — A Seat at the Table
Chance the Rapper — Coloring Book
Japanese Breakfast — Psychopomp
Sneaks — Gymnastics (reissue I think but w/e. If they ever put out another album, it's gonna rock so hard.)
Rihanna — ANTI
Crying — Beyond the Fleeting Gales
Kaytranada — 99.9%

Got to see Mitski (2x), Blood Orange, Japanese Breakfast (2x), Rihanna and Kaytranada live. All great shows. Lots of good concert memories this year. (smiling)

You know how sometimes, you discover a band at the perfect time; where every song sounds perfect to you and you can listen to their music over and over again? That was Mitski and Crying for me this year.

Image Image Image
jrisk

Postby ASTROCHIMP » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:11 pm

I don't really have much of a list. But Blonde is probably my AOTY. My top 3 list would probably be:

Frank Ocean - Blonde
Danny Brown - Atrocity Exhibition
Kanye West - The Life of Pablo

I would put some honorable mentions to a lot of stuff, I enjoyed what I heard from Japanese Breakfast, Isaiah Rashad's singles were good but I didn't really listen to the whole album, Kevin Abstract had a pretty good project too. I would group Schoolboy Q into this category too but I actually listened to the whole album, pretty good but not AOTY contender. I would also give out some honorable mentions to artists I thought had some good songs but their full projects didn't really come through. These would be The Weeknd with a couple good songs of Starboy, Justice had some solid singles but the album fell flat on me. Oh yeah Vince Staples had a nice EP too.

I'll stop wearing black when they invent a darker color.

Check out my shit tumblr.
http://idreamoftheapocalypse.tumblr.com/
ASTROCHIMP

Postby tomsfood » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:29 pm

tie between BLONDE by frank ocean and LIGHT UPON THE LAKE by whitney

tomsfood
Look Arena Champion

Postby candy » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:47 pm

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvbY1Mqq-XI[/youtube]
been listening to a lot of the wake recently, the entire "here comes everybody" record is brilliant.

candy

Postby evilfriends » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:08 pm

Deakin - Good House is one of the only albums that really stood out me this year. In my opinion it's the best thing that Animal Collective (including solo projects obv) has done since MPP. I recommend checking it out to anyone who's into neo-psychedelia and folk music!

Some other albums from 2016 that I liked are Pinkshinyultrablast - Grandfeathered (Shoegaze/Metal), Holy Wave - Freaks of Nurture (Psych Rock), The Frights - You Are Going To Hate This (Surf Punk), Angel Olsen - My Woman (Indie/Songwriter), Greys - Warm Shadow (Noise Rock/Punk). Give any of those a try if you like the respective genres or you're just looking for new stuff to listen to.

One album that really caught my eye this year for a lot of different reasons is "R M H Q: Headquarters" by Roy Montgomery. Montgomery is a musician from New Zealand who has been active since the early 80s, playing in different bands while also having several solo projects. Personally I've never heard of him before I listened to Headquarters. It's one album consisting of 4 CDs with 32 songs altogether. So it's pretty long (about 3 hours) with songs lengths ranging from one minute to twenty minutes of playtime. Categorizing it is not easy, but if I had to I would say most of the songs are drone/ambient/shoegaze/folk with some songs having vocals, but most don't.

It's such an ambitious and challenging record. I haven't made it through a full listen yet, especially because it's very harsh at some parts. But it's so rewarding to try and make my way through it because this album feels like the magnum opus of a musician that's been around for a very long time. Like the summary of a passion spanning decades.

evilfriends

Postby madlib » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:04 pm

Last edited by madlib on Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
madlib

Postby BobbyZamora » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:11 pm

frank ocean and chance the rapper are great and all but this is my pick for song of the year

(unless the cashmere cat release in a few days blows me away)

jrisk wrote:what's ur personal top albums of 2016? here's mine, mostly ranked by play count:

ranked by how good I thought they were

1. Bon Iver - 22, A Million (standout track 715 - CRΣΣKS)

2. Lido - Everything (standout tracks Citi Bike and Tell Me How To Feel)

3. What So Not - Divide & Conquer EP (standout track Montreal)

4. Eprom - Samurai EP (standout track 9 To Ya Dome)

5. Kai Wachi - $KULL TEAM EP (standout track Need You)

Last edited by BobbyZamora on Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:52 am, edited 10 times in total.
B)
BobbyZamora

Postby e0d9n0b5 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:19 pm

https://soundcloud.com/greylo/oresama-g ... rsey-remix

who likes weird shit like this? who likes nightcore? hello

e0d9n0b5

Postby nevergreen » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:52 pm

Let's talk some women MCs. I discovered Noname the other day through Spotify and damn she is fucking good.

After listening to To Pimp A Butterfly a lot recently I checked out Rapsody who's featured on Complexion. Super good as well.

One of my favorite verses ever is staHHr's on MF DOOM's "Guinesses"

I shoulda deaded it from genesis 'stead of hittin' the guinesses

I've listened to Sa-Roc but I don't dig her as much. Anyone else I should know about?

As for my favorite releases of this year, my top five in no particular order are:
Justin Jay & Friends - Fantastic Voyage
Flatbush Zombies - 3001: A Laced Odyssey
Zhu - Generationwhy
Justin Martin - Hello Clouds
Childish Gambino - Awaken, My Love

Honorable mentions:
Aesop Rock - The Impossible Kid
Noname - Telefone (Haven't listened to it a ton since I just found out about her but I reaaaally dig it)
Mat Zo - Self Assemble

nevergreen

Postby ASTROCHIMP » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:10 pm

Kid Cudi's new album is really impressing me. I was really wary going in based on his last two projects which I did not enjoy at all. However I'm blown away by this. It's not better than MOTM1(or MOTM2) in my opinion, granted that's one of my favorite albums of all time and holds a special place in my heart. I would say it is at least as good as Indicud but very different. I would absolutely give it a listen if you've enjoyed his work in the past.

I'll stop wearing black when they invent a darker color.

Check out my shit tumblr.
http://idreamoftheapocalypse.tumblr.com/
ASTROCHIMP

Postby BIGBEE » Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:13 pm

anyone have recommendations for a portable cd player? I want one with a cool backlit remote control

BIGBEE

Postby e0d9n0b5 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:49 pm

nevergreen my faves are princess nokia (i love her omg), nadia rose, kodi shane. thanks for posting these ones, haven't heard of any of them

e0d9n0b5

Postby ramseames » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:09 pm

all i want for christmas is magnums of gulden draak and unreleased chief keef songs

ramseames

Postby CMYK » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:54 pm

2016:

Sirens - Nicolas Jaar
Jeffrey - Young Thug
For Those Of You Who Have Never (And Also Those Who Have) - Huerco S
Capsule's Pride - Bwana
Brute - Fatima Al Quadiri

Increasingly I've been moving away from albums and towards singles/mixes/EP/LP as how I consume my music. Not sure how I feel about this.

Like jrisk, I had an amazing year for live music. Saw 0pn, Daughters, Kanye, Four Tet, Jon Hopkins, Floating Points, The Black Madonna, Fatima Yamaha, James Blake, Ben UFO, Clarke, Perfect Pussy, Bicep, Palms Trax, Nicolas Jaar and I'm sure a bunch of others that I've forgotten about

CMYK

PreviousNext

Return to Care