Stingray Sam

Re: ramdom thoughts

Postby ramdomthought » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:26 am

@youngcanoeist why weren't you at nmh

ramdomthought

Postby Rosenrot » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:27 am

blankinput wrote:
The band is mostly irrelevant at this point and Trent Reznor is insane, but The Slip was cool. I think Trent succeeds in putting himself in the music mores than his contemporaries, and his decline as a human being is really palpable from Pretty Hate Machine (innocent with pop sensibilities) to The Fragile (repentant and sad).

I wouldn't quite call them irrelevant. Trent cannot make up his mind as to whether he wants to stop with the concept of NIN, or keep up with it. He's a happier human being now that he's married, so I'm guessing the angst he used to pour into his music are mostly gone.

'Still' would probably be my favourite album.

Rosenrot

Postby jrisk » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:53 am

I was driving home late last night along a road that's pretty secluded at nighttime. I had to take a piss really bad so I stopped alongside the road instead of rushing home even faster. I hopped over a short wall and started taking my time but I saw some headlights coming along so I quickly finished up and ran back to my car. It wasn't until I turned my car on that I noticed I didn't have my phone. I last had it in the breast pocket of my shirt and it was pretty apparent that it had slipped out when I was bending over or jumping over the wall or something. I go to scrape around in the bushes but it's pitch dark and I can't even position my headlights to help. I try everything I can think of, I even take my shirt off to hold up and try to reflect the light towards the ground. I start thinking about driving home the last 20 minutes, grabbing another phone and coming back to ring it but I remember that my phone was on silent. FUCK.

but then I remember that my android phone has always-listening voice control on it. I turn off my car so it's perfectly silent and yell "OK GOOGLE — WHERE'S MY PHONE". Sure enough my phone starts blaring an alarm/flashes the screen and I'm able to find it a mere five feet away. ahhh phew. I was so relieved. now I just hope it wasn't poison ivy that I was digging through.

Image Image Image
jrisk

Postby JonjoShelvey » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:09 am

so cyperbunk

JonjoShelvey

Postby stappard_ » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:15 am

haircuts are fine but staring at my own face for 20 minutes tends to provoke an existential crisis

stappard_

Postby YoungCanoeist » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:44 am

^^someone else's face? i wanna do that eye contact thing

YoungCanoeist

Postby bels » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:08 am

That's why you shouldn't trust men who shave every day. All those cumulative hours spent staring at their own face. There's something wrong with them.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby chan0 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:11 am

Would rather look in the mirror than at pictures of myself any day.

chan0

Postby JonjoShelvey » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:13 am

i can convince myself im attractive if i look in the mirror long enough

JonjoShelvey

Postby freddy » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:01 pm

i'm pretty bored with the internet nowadays (idk it could be the summer slow-down), i've debated and picked enough fights with folks online already that it's beginning to lose its luster. i've read most of the shit that I wanted to read outside of academia and i'm pretty intellectually satisfied. as I've mentioned previously, I've been pretty content with my wardrobe – and fashion hasn't spewed out anything interesting or original for a while now to captive my interest.

i wonder what's next for me to channel my inner obsession? :/

freddy

Postby absurdmind » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:19 pm

stappard_ wrote:haircuts are fine but staring at my own face for 20 minutes tends to provoke an existential crisis

the lamp makes nothing more than a pitiful pond around its base. I turn it out; I get up. There is a white hole in the wall, a mirror. It is a trap. I know I am going to let myself be caught in it. I have. The grey thing appears in the mirror. I go over and look at it, I can no longer get away.

It is the reflection of my face. Often in these lost days I study it. I can understand nothing of this face. The faces of others have some sense, some direction. Not mine. I cannot even decide whether it is handsome or ugly. I think it is ugly because I have been told so. But it doesn't strike me. At heart, I am even shocked that anyone can attribute qualities of this kind to it, as if you called a clod of earth or a block of stone beautiful or ugly.

Still, there is one thing which is pleasing to see, above the flabby cheeks, above the forehead; it is the beautiful red flame which crowns my head, it is my hair. That is pleasant to see. Anyhow, it is a definite colour: I am glad I have red hair. There it is in the mirror, it makes itself seen, it shines. I am still lucky: if my forehead was surmounted by one of those neutral heads of hair which are neither chestnut nor blond, my face would be lost in vagueness, it would make me dizzy.

My glance slowly and wearily travels over my forehead, my cheeks: it finds nothing firm, it is stranded. Obviously there are a nose, two eyes and a mouth, but none of it makes sense, there is not even a human expression. Yet Anny and Velines thought I looked so alive: perhaps I am too used to my face. When I was little, my Aunt Uigeois told me "Ir you look at yourself too long in the mirror, you'll see a monkey." I must have looked at myself even longer than that: what I see is well below the monkey, on the fringe of the vegetable world, at the level of jellyfish. It is alive, I can't say it isn't; but this was not the life that Anny contemplated: I see a slight tremor, I see the insipid flesh blossoming and palpitating with abandon. The eyes especially are horrible seen so close. They are glassy, soft, blind, red-rimmed, they look like fish scales.

I lean all my weight on the porcelain ledge, I draw my face closer until it touches the mirror. The eyes, nose and mouth disappear: nothing human is left. Brown wrinkles show on each side of the feverish swelled lips, crevices, mole holes. A silky white down covers the great slopes of the cheeks, two hairs protrude from the nostrils: it is a geological embossed map. And, in spite of everything, this lunar world is familiar to me. I cannot say I recognize the details. But the whole thing gives me an im- pression of something seen before which stupefies me: I slip quietly off to sleep.

I would like to take hold of myself: an acute, vivid sensation would deliver me. I plaster my left hand against my cheek, I pull the skin; I grimace at myself. An entire half of my face yields, the left half of the mouth twists and swells, uncovering a tooth, the eye opens on a white globe, on pink, bleeding flesh. That is not what I was looking for: nothing strong, nothing new; soft, flaccid, stale! I go to sleep with my eyes open, already the face is growing larger, growing in the mirror, an immense, light halo gliding in the light. . . .

I lose my balance and that wakes me. I find myself straddling a chair, still dazed. Do other men have as much difficulty in appraising their face? It seems that I see my own as I feel my body, through a dumb, organic sense. But the others? Rollebon, for example, was he also put to sleep by looking in the mirror at what Mme de Genlis calls "his small, wrinkled countenance, clean and sharp, all pitted with smallpox, in which there was a strange malice which caught the eye, no matter what effort he made to dissemble it? He took," she adds, "great care with his coiffure and I never saw him without his wig. But his cheeks were blue, verging on black, owing to his heavy beard which he shaved himself, not being at all expert. It was his custom to wash his face with white lead, in the manner of Grimm. M. de Dangeville said that with all this white and all this blue he looked like a Roquefort cheese". It seems to me he must have been quite pleasing. But, after all, this is not the way he appeared to Mme de Charrieres. I believe she found him rather worn. Perhaps it is impossible to understand one's own face. Or perhaps it is because I am a single man? People who live in society have learned how to see themselves in mirrors as they appear to their friends. I have no friends. Is that why my flesh is so naked? You might say—yes you might say, nature without humanity.

I have no taste for work any longer, I can do nothing more except wait for night
- Jean-Paul Sartre "Nausea"

absurdmind

Postby purkinje » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:44 pm

a side thought from the feminism thread- I was the only guy out of 20 people in my nursing group at college orientation ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ helloooo ladies...

a disaster is a terrible thing to waste
purkinje

Postby stappard_ » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:05 pm

short addendum to the haircut thought: that bit where they buzz it square at the back with clippers is how i imagine a cat feels when its being scratched in exactly the right place

stappard_

Postby nick » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:27 pm

stappard_ wrote:short addendum to the haircut thought: that bit where they buzz it square at the back with clippers is how i imagine a cat feels when its being scratched in exactly the right place

haircuts are just amazing in general once you find the right place ! (which I think was one of the first ramdom thoughts I posted)

plus they're one of the few opportunities in life where a 15 year old chinese girl punches my back repeatedly

nick
Eminent Eminem

Postby Blastoise » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:51 pm

That definitely doesn't happen where I get my hair cut.

Blastoise

Postby chadnik » Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:06 am

my landlord has the most clean-scrubbed, lily-white, baby-soft, pampered bougie feet I've ever seen. I couldn't stop stealing fascinated glances at them, it was like looking at a pedigreed hairless cat

chadnik

Postby bueno » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:46 pm

this shadow i saw from the train looked like a giraffe

bueno

Postby IsaiahSchafer » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:55 pm

I was going to brag about my easy access to a bikini cuts for haircuts but I just googled them and found their commercial/5min documentary. Fake tans and bump-its don't do it for me anymore. :\

IsaiahSchafer

Postby yourdad » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:19 pm

Half of life's problems can be remedied by either good food or a good poop

yourdad

Postby bels » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:50 pm

Chillj making an appearance in Wednesday's Bad Machinery.

As an aside, I recommend Bad Machinery whole heartedly to all CTers. I'd say start from the beginning and just lose yourself in it for a while.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby oldtrailmix » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:17 pm

I don't like my job

oldtrailmix

Postby exprof » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:38 pm

@germinal are you creating a c-t rpg? if so i want in on this

exprof

Postby bels » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:45 pm

Code: Select all
> CARE    CTER
  JAWN    REP

bels
Yung Winona

Postby birdman caw » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:13 am

holy cow ty based @germinal for the awesome pixel avatar

birdman caw

Postby purkinje » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:29 pm

my rep ratio before this post was nearly pi at 911/290 = ~3.1414

purkinje

Postby nick » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:35 pm

exprof wrote:@germinal are you creating a c-t rpg? if so i want in on this

with how easy RPG Maker is to use, we should do it.

partake in epic fit battles in a quest to find your grail ;)

nick
Eminent Eminem

Postby purkinje » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:54 pm

so is Raf gonna be the wise sensei figure or the final boss?

purkinje

Postby rublev » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:30 pm

thanks germ :3

rublev
Political Editor

Postby silvaeri » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:14 pm

college age is such a weird time. like you have to be responsible and adult like, but you still feel like a kid in a lot of aspects. and when you fuck up it feels real weird because i'm trying not to ask my mom for help (especially because it's just poor/irresponsible financial planning that got me in this mess in the first place).

ughh

professional idiot.
silvaeri

PreviousNext

Return to Care