Here is ramdomthought!

Off topic

Re: Here is ramdomthought!

Postby bels » Fri May 05, 2017 3:42 pm

I can assemble a pulp storage unit in about five minutes does that qualify me for anything

bels
Yung Winona

Postby bels » Sun May 07, 2017 3:41 am

Posh Somme are they ever going to make the boxes that fit into pulp storage units again? Or are they phasing it out to push the oak/stainless/ash storage stuff

bels
Yung Winona

Postby posh_somme » Sun May 07, 2017 11:56 am

bels wrote:Posh Somme are they ever going to make the boxes that fit into pulp storage units again? Or are they phasing it out to push the oak/stainless/ash storage stuff

not heard anything about those for ages. i'm on holiday right now but next week i'll try to remember to search the database for them. the warehouse usually has a few things left of really old stuff and quite often it's heartily reduced. IIRC you can get the sand eco cushion for the T2 sofabed for £7.50 (was 50) for example

posh_somme

Postby freddy » Mon May 08, 2017 12:47 pm

Anyone become pen pals/friends with their eBay fashion seller? Some lady couldn't find the bow tie that I bought and profusely tried to remedy the issue with future discounts and finally offered free alternate bow tie for free (which I declined bc not my style) and etro cuff links (declined also). She ultimately refunded me the money and pleading that I don't leave negative negative feedback (her 2k+ feedback is immaculately all positive) and the original bow tie would be free if she can find it. I sent her fit pics saying cuff links r not my style yet and we ended up taking about MMM and fashun. We agreed to continue chatting this evening via email (smiling)

/Coolstory

freddy

Postby popcorn » Mon May 15, 2017 4:18 am

quick question to find out whether or not your white liberal dad is radicalized: when did slavery end?

popcorn

Postby popcorn » Tue May 16, 2017 12:06 am

sorry if i was unclear, i meant wholesome leftist anti-capitalist radicalization

@adiabatic @cheerupbrokeboy never was the correct answer

popcorn

Postby freddy » Mon May 22, 2017 4:38 pm

Online gambling got me into cryptocurrencies and I got my good friend into cryptocurrencies late last summer. He just surpassed $100k (10x returns on ETH/alt coins - GNT,XRP, SC) profit threshold already. He has offered me a modest completion scholarship bonus of $5k (subject to increases depending on portfolio returns) if I merely complete my associates degree. Said friend dropped out of two four-years and finished his AS degree. Lol

God damn friend

freddy

Postby mahi-mahi » Mon May 22, 2017 5:46 pm

Yo Ct, I missed yall.
Life Updates!
Got into Virginia Commonwealth University for Chemistry!
Recovering from getting four wisdom teeth pulled out
Suffered a heartbreak
Became a waiter and have $
Decided to be more active here instead of jus using it to complain.
YAY!
How is everyone?

mahi-mahi

Postby worknights » Tue May 23, 2017 8:32 pm

im gonna cut my hair soon as its the longest its been since 2009 (usually do shorter hair but decided i'd let it grow for a bit but its looking pretty mop like now) and ideas on cool shorter hairstyles?

ig: cavallifurs
worknights

Postby odradek » Thu May 25, 2017 7:16 pm

me, posting:

odradek

Postby ASTROCHIMP » Thu May 25, 2017 9:50 pm

Sometimes I want to change my avatar but I'm afraid no one would know who I am if I did...

I'll stop wearing black when they invent a darker color.

Check out my shit tumblr.
http://idreamoftheapocalypse.tumblr.com/
Also consider checking out my music.
https://soundcloud.com/garbagepail
Follow me.
https://twitter.com/youresleeping
ASTROCHIMP

Postby freddy » Thu May 25, 2017 10:14 pm

How do ppl have 500+ connections on LinkedIn? Lol

Anyone get bored of being bored?

And anyone been in the corporate world? Do you hate it or love the "corporate" professional culture?

freddy

Postby ramdomthought » Sat May 27, 2017 7:36 pm

Has anyone heard from Soundclip in a minute

ramdomthought

Postby BIGBEE » Sun May 28, 2017 1:23 am

No I think he had a kid last I heard

BIGBEE

Postby oucho » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:58 am

Happy meteorological summer

oucho

Postby INNIT » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:49 pm

sold my car using the same tactics i use to sell shit on grailed. listed it for 25% above a fair price, some dude lowballed me the price i actually wanted, BOOM SOLD. and they said internet fashion websites wouldnt give me real world skills HA

INNIT

Postby shar pei » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:52 am

when you know that your current relationship is not working and the other party seems like they don't want to break up by just being stagnant, dismissive, and avoidant of everything and you can't get out safely and swiftly, and you've vocalized every single thing that needs to be said

i don't want to waste so much emotional energy on this

or physical energy

CHEERS
P
shar pei

Postby JewTurk » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:07 pm

Has anyone explored their spirituality later in life?

I met someone today who was reading a book and we got to talking. It was this book about a Jewish women who is very strong in her faith that wrote this book about having faith in Jesus and all these great things Jesus has done, but still feels confident in her faith. The person's perspective on it was that people don't need to share a religion to share a connection about good will, which I loved. He had a lot of reservations about local Christianity groups that he feels are problematic but his perspective was still that Christianity was worthwhile and worth pursuing regardless. We kind of talked about whether or not people who don't necessarily believe in a god could still practice faith for the sake of spreading good intentions, which kind of made me reconsider a lot of things.

Thoughts on attending church without necessarily believing in the entirety of what the faith assumes? It just seems nice that someone can have their own interpretation of something and partake in it respectfully, I just would hate to start attending church and worry about whether or not I'm being dishonest.

Just curious if others partake in a religion of sorts without agreeing with some of the more important aspects of them.

JewTurk

Postby adiabatic » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:37 pm

JewTurk wrote:Thoughts on attending church without necessarily believing in the entirety of what the faith assumes? It just seems nice that someone can have their own interpretation of something and partake in it respectfully, I just would hate to start attending church and worry about whether or not I'm being dishonest.

AFAICT this is what unitarian universalist churches are for. Last I checked, UU is a religion of shared practice, not of shared belief.

I flat-out refused to do a bar mitzvah to please one of my parents, even when he dangled some of the perks ($$$$) I'd get from my family members for going through with it. More recently I've considered attending a church, but the only reasons for me to do so are social and I'm strongly resistant to pretending to believe unfalsifiable things just to meet women. Every time, I've decided against finding and attending a church. I dislike mops and, unsurprisingly, don't want to be one.

“clothing for attractive rich people in their 20s to go to weddings in” — Zack Johnson on Vineyard Vines
adiabatic

Postby INNIT » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:28 pm

JewTurk wrote:
Thoughts on attending church without necessarily believing in the entirety of what the faith assumes? It just seems nice that someone can have their own interpretation of something and partake in it respectfully, I just would hate to start attending church and worry about whether or not I'm being dishonest.

you can always explore the wonderful diversity of religions in the world without limiting yourself to any single one. i actually encourage it, most people know absolutely nothing about religion

i began visiting different places of worship as the result of a religious studies class i took many years ago and it has been one of the healthiest experiences of my life (i am not a practicing religious person and have no religion of my own). my advice would be to call ahead and find out a good time to visit, so that you dont accidentally infringe upon taboos regarding entering a place of worship during specific ritual or prayer times. i have visited various mosques, orthodox churches, temples, synagogues, etc and am always welcomed with open arms, and usually offered delicious food. most religions arent evangelical, so no need to worry about having beliefs forced on you. usually, the leaders of these communities are extremely polite and thoughtful and wont even talk about their faith unless youre asking specific questions. just go with an open mind and respectful attitude and enjoy the rich culture and unique perspectives of those of different religions!

Last edited by INNIT on Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
INNIT

Postby deadkitty » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:56 am

consider noninstitutional religion/spirituality

space
master
deadkitty

Postby adiabatic » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:42 pm

The trouble with noninstutional anything is that you don't get a meatspace community. There's a qualitative difference between having group members all within easy driving distance of each other and having to organize 3-of-200 meetups every 6–18 months.

“clothing for attractive rich people in their 20s to go to weddings in” — Zack Johnson on Vineyard Vines
adiabatic

Postby popcorn » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:28 pm

what would you recommend I read if the books I've enjoyed most in the last year are:
- Stoner (John Williams)
- Slaughterhouse Five (Kurt Vonnegut)
- The Bluest Eye (Toni Morrison)
- The Stranger (Albert Camus)
?

not a complete conversation but i think what i like in each of these, the common thread, is the way people interact with depravity and (sometimes) transcend it. they're all contemporary writers so these have all been very easy to read.

thanks for anything :-)

popcorn

Postby sonofjacob » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:25 am

back home again after a decent 6 weeks of travel and i am SAD

sonofjacob

Postby shar pei » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:05 pm

i'm out of my (smiling) (smiling) very tiring relationship (smiling) (smiling) i'm about to move in with my friends! (smiling) (smiling) things are going (smiling) (smiling) actually pretty well (smiling) (smiling) aside from my depression and occasional tiredness and inability to concentrate on everything including school assignments i have yet to complete from last semester

CHEERS
P
shar pei

Postby fun_yunchables » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:43 pm

to piggy back off this comment
i think it's kind of fucked up how western stuff is looked to as the "norm" and everything else isn't, even outside of the anglo (western-?) sphere.

god damn i get so heated about this shit sometimes. like people who use soy sauce in some time of food and call it asian-inspired like wtf. i remember growing up eating chinese food and getting picked on because it was "weird" and now those same people say "omg i looooove beef noodle soup & xiaolongbao/soup dumplings" like motherfucker where were u 10 years ago???!!!

even in asia there are a ton of people who literally get a free pass cuz they're white. like what the fuck man, this white dude can be the ugliest motherfucker in the world making the shittiest fucking pancakes you've ever tasted but still is some kind of local celebrity. like god damn. or like some of my asian friends who wanted to teach english in asia -- they're more fluent that than random creepy-ass french dude, but still don't get the job!!!! (sorry, no offense to french people i just picked a country that didn't speak english as a first language. but to be honest i have seen those creepy people all over hong kong & china && especially japan)

don't even get me started on the asians who think they're "honorary white" or idolize white people. head boutta explode from all the ignorance.

coolest lame guy u'll ever meet
fun_yunchables

Postby smiles » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:50 pm

‘Travel beggars’ appear in poorest parts of Hong Kong, outraging critics

https://www.hongkongfp.com/2017/04/14/travel-beggars-appear-poorest-parts-hong-kong-outraging-critics/

This kind of stuff is also pretty common. Treating Asia (esp Thailand and cambodia) as place to "find yourself" and eat cheap food. Really gross and I remember so many exchange students rolling through with that attitude.

草地跑過的腳印
smiles

Postby adiabatic » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:33 pm

fun_yunchables wrote:and now those same people say "omg i looooove beef noodle soup & xiaolongbao/soup dumplings" like motherfucker where were u 10 years ago

Their tastes probably changed between the ages of (I'm guessing here) 17 to 27. In that time I got back into bleu cheese and started liking mustard again.

I'd be happy if the people I liked started liking the food I like. My friends would certainly be overjoyed if I could eat seafood without gagging as it'd open up a bunch of sushi places we could go to together.

adiabatic

Postby fun_yunchables » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:30 pm

yeah were you ever ridiculed because you ate mustard or bleu cheese though? to denigrate a culture's food and then later adopt it?

food isn't just food (similarly clothing isn't just clothing either), it has a cultural history and context behind it. which is why often when white ppl make asian food (and possibly other, but i have no experience in that) it usually is lacking in some way (some ppl are okay -- like andy ricker who immersed himself in thai culture prior to pok pok, and also fuschia dunlop, who was one of the first westerners to graduate from a chinese culinary schools).

racism pervades food and i think it's important to be conscious of it, as it's one of the implicit, subtle racism that often times is "programmed" into the society where you might not notice it. why is beef bourguignon considered far more refined that red-cooked beef, when they are so similar? why does one expect to pay a lot for french cuisine versus expecting cheap mexican cuisine (which as a side-related note as a conglomerate cuisine is imo is one of the most well developed and refined cuisines in the world)?
there's nothing wrong with people liking the food. the problem is in the context of whether the culture is also considered

coolest lame guy u'll ever meet
fun_yunchables

Postby adiabatic » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:27 am

fun_yunchables wrote:yeah were you ever ridiculed because you ate mustard or bleu cheese though? to denigrate a culture's food and then later adopt it?

I was ridiculed for doing lots of things that became popular later on. What's interesting is that you're still mad at the way people were ten years ago while I'm congratulating myself for liking good things before other people realized they were good, too.

fun_yunchables wrote:food isn't just food (similarly clothing isn't just clothing either), it has a cultural history and context behind it. which is why often when white ppl make asian food (and possibly other, but i have no experience in that) it usually is lacking in some way (some ppl are okay -- like andy ricker who immersed himself in thai culture prior to pok pok, and also fuschia dunlop, who was one of the first westerners to graduate from a chinese culinary schools).

Makes sense. When people — of any culture or race — try to make foreign foods they tend to make substitutions in ingredients, ingredient quality, tools, and/or technique. Some of the differences may be unnoticeable (or even improvements!) to the recreators but an obvious deviation to people well-steeped in the original. Understanding why a particular foreign technique is better suited to a foreign dish seems to be beyond most chefs (that is, ones without a strong chemistry background).

fun_yunchables wrote:why is beef bourguignon considered far more refined that red-cooked beef, when they are so similar?

French cuisine and technique has had cultural cachet in the US since Julia Child delivered us from aspic. I do not use "delivered" lightly. I hadn't heard of red-cooked beef before, so it can't really borrow cultural cachet from anything. It seems like a decent recipe, although IMO western cooks don't have a good handle on balancing savory and sweet flavors in the same dish and I'm not sure I'd do well cooking it at home. Plus the anise worries me; anything that remotely smacks of black licorice is a red flag according to my taste buds.

English cuisine, by contrast, does not have this halo surrounding it. English cuisine is the butt of jokes: "they had to colonize South Asia in order to get a decent meal", "spotted dick lolololol", "ew yuck blood sausage".

Same race, but very different cultural cachet.

fun_yunchables wrote:why does one expect to pay a lot for french cuisine versus expecting cheap mexican cuisine (which as a side-related note as a conglomerate cuisine is imo is one of the most well developed and refined cuisines in the world)?

I agree that Mexican food is some of the best in the world. As to why people expect French to cost more than Mexican, I have a couple of conjectures (they aren't mutually exclusive):

1. Supply. We don't have many people here in the US who've been trained by French people; we do have a bunch who've been trained by Mexican people. We probably have tens of thousands more Mexican people here than we do French people, and the massive supply drives down the price. How much does Mexican food cost around France?

2. French cuisine seems like it has a higher labor floor than Mexican cuisine does. That is, French cuisine seems like it incorporates all sorts of techniques that take time that may be fine for one person making enough food for a family of four, but is going to take a lot of extra time to prep in a commercial environment. I was checking in with my mother a while back and asked "do I need to mix oil and vinegar for salad dressing, or can I just dump oil on and then dump on the vinegar?" She said that pre-emulsifying is the French way and dumping is the Italian way. I have trouble imagining that dirtying the extra dish and stirring up the dressing with a fork would improve my salads so much as to be worth the hassle, so I just dress my salads the Italian way.

Most Mexican food I can get around me tends to use good ingredients and is well-executed, and it's not overly fussy. Most Mexican food available for sale, by and large, seems amenable to mass production for fast food or catering. Indian food seems similar: one can cook up large amounts of curries and set them out, buffet style, alongside large piles of rice for a cost-effective lunch. (The local Indian place has both an inexpensive buffet lunch and rather expensive dinners, and the price difference is large compared to the difference in what sorts of foods and preparation styles you can get for dinner.)

Labor-intensive Mexican food is available, but the only place I know of to get any at is at one of Rick Bayless's restaurants. Topolobampo has a (largely) prix fixe menu; I expect it to be, ahem, not cheap.

adiabatic

PreviousNext

Return to Care