Here is ramdomthought!

Off topic

Re: Here is ramdomthought!

Postby BobbyZamora » Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:11 pm

ramdomthought wrote:if you're in cali vote (or another firm blue state) for downballot and vote green or some shit for president

I would actually urge people not to vote green- unfortunately their vehement opposition to nuclear energy leaves no option for realistic or practical short term decarbonization.

maj wrote:personally i think it's ok to not have a solution, you can recognise voting is little impact in the grand scheme of things and that even if you had a leftist to vote for on a national political platform they would likely betray morals you hold dear (bernie), or vote for a climate denying, racist who merely handwaves that they're "listening and learning" in between seizures (biden), and not have to offer anything in return. it's ok to be disenfranchised, loads of people are!

there is a trend to in politics that disenfranchised people are somehow unaware, nieve or just don't care about people to not vote, that they're some other, and i'd argue this has perverted our view of politics for decades. "no i couldn't POSSIBLY be a non voter, i'm college educated and engaged!! i have a moral compass!! being disenfranchised is for the dumb....i uhhh mean....those without the privilege". It's something the right understands very well and why they favour voter suppression so much, they understand a disenfranchised voter is dangerous to their project so they've spent billions and decades supressing them, intentionally, the reactionary response to this is "that's more reason TOO VOTE", but it's not, simply telling someone isn't going to undo voter suppression or disenfranchisement. the center/left must work to re-enfranchise these people, something they failed to do four years ago, and argubly failing to do now, the draw of "a literal nazi" in the white house they're relying on is certainly a draw for a lot of people to be re-enfranchised. But similarly, many have recognised the opposition to them will do the same to them but slower, be it through letting them get cancer and having no cause to treatment, to bombing their relatives, friends and comrades aboard, or having a history of racially discriminating against them until it was politically unviable, much as they have experienced before "mr cheezit face" entered the white house.

it's with this which is why i have empathy for those who don't vote, surviving is hard enough tbqh, and after years of having the shit kicked out of you for who you are, economically drained by both the people who wish to harm you and those who supposedly will "save you from them", it's no wonder you sense the futility of it all and don't have a solution for an alternative.

i think everyone is looking for a bit of hope, a silver lining or light at the end of the tunnel, which is good, it needs to be done, but if someone can't see it, that's ok, they're working on just being able to survive in the dark, they're not some other, they're not any more morally perverse, they're just you or i, our friends and family, normal people trying to get on in life.

Admittedly I definitely forget sometimes that the USA's situation regarding voter suppression is much worse than it is elsewhere. In Canada not only do we have more choice with our vote (even if only slightly) but I personally do not believe voter suppression exists here anymore- voting is widely available, quick and easy nearly anywhere and electoral ridings are redrawn every 10 years.

I still disagree with the take that voting is useless, even if I can accept that in the USA voting is simply too difficult or too time consuming for many people. The idea that your vote "doesn't do much" to me is just indicative that someone is either unaware of or unwilling to accept the intrinsic faults and compromises that come with democracy (especially in the context of a capitalist society).

B)
BobbyZamora

Postby popcorn » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:29 am

just receiving an email with a login verification code for twitch. it wasn't me trying to get in, and so the case must be that someone other than me is trying to enjoy twitch through my account.

as i've done for a few sites, i've deleted my twitch account forever in lieu of changing the password. haven't really watched streams since i was a senior in high school, in 2016, back in the care-tags era when i was actively ruining my life with the help of the league of legends computer application.

anyone enjoy twitch lately? are you simply into the culture and games like fortnite and overwatch? are you a mid-20's gamer (i imagine c-t never involved people significantly younger than myself) just whittling away the weekends? are you a late-20's gamer who's always had a healthy relationship with games? are you watching boobie streamers (does twitch still have those?)?

just putting this in the general thread, and not the video gaming thread, because this post is motivated more by consciousness of decay than by gaming

popcorn

Postby odradek » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:35 pm

I am not a heavy twitch user and am confused by people who are. A friend of mine basically spends his free time playing path of exile while watching someone else play path of exile. I don't get it. I like to think I "get" esports, but I never watch them unless CSGO is on TBS or something. I would never seek it out on Twitch.

That said, I love watching GDQ events and I like to check out streams of recently released AAA games to see what they're like, since I lack the time, money, and rig to partake. Twitch is also, I find, a good way to get colloquial listening experience when practicing a foreign language, provided you can find the right streamer.

odradek

Postby maj » Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:19 pm

twitch is good at filling time when you have absolutely nothing else going on in your life, it's like irc, used to watch days of it over uni/lockdown now barely touch it

Major General Hayley "Hacks" Dunning (Viscount Windsor) aka peak angry nerd (VERY hot)
maj

Postby ramdomthought » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:34 pm

i do not understand most of twitch but will occasionally watch a funny guy Jack Allison do a morning show while at work

ramdomthought

Postby ramdomthought » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:35 pm

finally living the life i want: car is at the mechanic and i am forced to get off my ass and walk 3/4ths of a mile to go to the grocery store

ramdomthought

Postby ramdomthought » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:37 pm

i had plants and herbs growing in my windows for ages. cat has discovered them and will not stop chewing on them and promptly puking them back up. they must go

ramdomthought

Postby ramdomthought » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:38 pm

thinking about taking up learning french so i can order more poutine next time i am in quebec city for work

ramdomthought

Postby bels » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:15 pm

I want to become a famous twitch streamer but I have no interest in watching twitch. Would rather watch something edited.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby sknss » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:10 am

My boyfriend says i should have a twitch channel because i am a pro gamer

sknss
2015 Summer Camp Participant

Postby fun_yunchables » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:41 pm

i got my first mechanical keyboard because i resigned myself to working from home for a long time coming (never wanted to have a home office bc work/life balance)

damn this shit remind me of my parents old ibm keyboard strangely miss it sm

@Stolsdos i got a keychron k6 with blue switches. idk anything bout it just what my friend recommended based upon the ibm keyboards lol

coolest lame guy u'll ever meet
fun_yunchables

Postby rjbman » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:12 am

i just picked up a glorious with gateron browns. reminds me of the old typewriter we had growing up. clicky clacky

"Let's be vagabonds." - Yohji Yamamoto
rjbman

Previous

Return to Care