Where to live one of these days

off topic
soj

Re: Where to live one of these days

Post by soj »

i will say decent. almost all roads in denser areas are shared lanes (unconvinced these do much in the way of [redacted] safety..) but there are enough protected [redacted] lanes that i can get most places with minimal on-street riding. protected lanes are always filled with e-scooters and sloooow [redacted] though
SyntacticallyCorrect

Post by SyntacticallyCorrect »

I moved to Berkeley, catch me bikin' around and Bartin' around
freddy

Post by freddy »

nyc bc I fucks with the culture of hyper-individualism

New England/Boston is too parochial, tribal, and clique-y

I do me.
funyuns

Post by funyuns »

seoul is pretty dam cool i love seoul
breloom

Post by breloom »

been living a city near la for the last 18 years and i have a comprehensive list of pros and cons
pros:
great weather (except for this winter where it's super wet)
super beautiful views every day with the mountains
boba tea shop density

cons:
never going to afford a home
need vehicle if you want to do anything ever
shitty traffic at least one way when you wanna do anything ever
did i mention needing to add a car to the third highest rents in the country making the effective fixed cost of living the highest? (though i guess san jose might be about the same)

i think i'm over it here and want to move somewhere with a tighter urban fabric. not sure if i want to try moving into la proper or just leave for one of the large cities east of the mississippi
funyuns

Post by funyuns »

if ur talking about sgv there is no place in the us that is better. imo just go somewhere outside of north america at this point bc its all just a compromise
breloom

Post by breloom »

funyuns wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:30 am if ur talking about sgv there is no place in the us that is better. imo just go somewhere outside of north america at this point bc its all just a compromise

i live in a city known for a flower that one would say is in the sgv

im just so tired of sitting in traffic
funyuns

Post by funyuns »

breloom wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:29 am
funyuns wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:30 am if ur talking about sgv there is no place in the us that is better. imo just go somewhere outside of north america at this point bc its all just a compromise

i live in a city known for a flower that one would say is in the sgv

im just so tired of sitting in traffic
feel u bro life here is pain but at least there's savoy hainan chicken
soj

Post by soj »

i have moved back to france for a bit. i like this part of the world. considering getting a job and staying a few years after i graduate. feels like something i should have done earlier in my twenties but maybe it's still ok now.
SyntacticallyCorrect

oops dupe
Last edited by SyntacticallyCorrect on Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
SyntacticallyCorrect

I've been in Berkeley for almost a year now and it definitely hasn't been good to me as far as community goes. Haven't made any friends, it's been super difficult. Moving down to Oakland at the end of the summer and hoping that helps, closer to community spaces I'm interested in.

I've been dating someone in SF for the while now, too, and considering making the hop over the bridge. But the city just has too much energy, feels like no respite, but I'm only ever in the mission mostly. Curious about the inner richmond as a quieter alternative.

Thoughts? Advice?

I moved to Boise and knew basically no one and ended up falling into a really tight knit community and I was hopeful I could do the same here, trying to give it time
breloom

Post by breloom »

ended up getting a job back in chicago. time to load up my cats for a fun drive!
foxtail_grass
First Prestige
First Prestige

Post by foxtail_grass »

This is the time of year I pore over a map of the US, trying to find a place that's less dark, less freezing.

My basic goal is to be able to live somewhere where every day I can spend time outside, getting sunlight. I don't mind if I have to wake up at dawn to soak up a few cooler hours, or wait patiently for warmer temps by the middle of the day. In Minnesota, from December to mid-April, the air hurts your eyeballs. The snow/ice builds up so heavily it is not uncommon to admit defeat, and decide you're not leaving the house today. After 31 years in the upper Midwest, I just can't deal with it anymore.

There are a few Southern regions that are appealing to me at the moment. First would be any city in Virginia or North Carolina that lies inland off the coast. The second would be the Atlanta metro, though it seems unlikely I could afford it.

Everyone here in MN preaches about the instability of southern climates, how untenable they will be in a decade, or less, without any acknowledgment that we too are dealing with the shadow of an unpredictable future landscape. We also bemoan the degradation of their political climate, which is of course frightening. But this too seems to be a way to downplay our own precarity, our own shortcomings. Minnesota projects itself as a blue stalwart encircled by red idiots. In reality, the majority of the state IS red by area, and only the metro itself (which many of the surrounding states do not have) is democratic. Even within the 'progressive' Twin Cities we have tons of conservative policies. The government tries its best to downplay oil pipelines and low-income relief check bungles with giant Pride parades and [redacted] lanes so poorly designed, they make streets less safe for [redacted] and drivers alike.

Some may say I have lived here long enough to be jaded, and if I move away I'll regret it. But I am not signing any sort of long term contract to be a Southerner. I'd just like to give not being cold and indoors for half the year a try.

TLDR: Anyone have experience living in VA/NC or ATL?
skunk ape
First Prestige
First Prestige

Post by skunk ape »

You might like Roanoke, but you may also find it a little quiet. You might like Richmond, but you might find that though there's a lot of great things there, it also has an overarching hangover from reconstruction.

Put this in your signature if you like to post with friends: https://i.imgur.com/GUPLGPw.png

thewisdomoftime

Post by thewisdomoftime »

foxtail_grass wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 1:21 pmThis is the time of year I pore over a map of the US, trying to find a place that's less dark, less freezing.
Jumping off from the opposite point,
thewisdomoftime wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 12:36 am I will move to Denmark.
I guess I'm just trying to say this again. I think for the last 12 months I've basically just been focused on working out and hoping it'll make me feel better and other regressive behaviors. It didn't. After coming back from vacation a few weeks ago I seized on the inspiration and I started scheduling Danish tutoring so I can finally actually learn the language (after rediscovering that using Glossika and Pimsleur just makes me scared and lonely).

Detour maybe nobody gaf about w/ a little info about how I/one can immigrate, difficulties, etc.:
Spoiler:
Even though my mom's a citizen, I'm too old to simply receive citizenship from Denmark without living there for any significant period; what I get, instead, is that I can simply receive residency before having been hired, then I'd be eligible for permanent residency & then citizenship after 2yrs w/ a Danish address. (Still have to wait 2 yrs, take a B2 language test for the permanent residency, take their famous citizenship test for citizenship.) If I make it all the way to citizenship, dual citizenship with the US, to my knowledge, will be more or less a given based on their current laws; so I can still move back to Philly and start a Snowing cover group in the far off future. If I didn't have my mom, or she were some partial combination of the following descriptors and not flat out a Danish-born Danish-speaking Danish citizen from Denmark, I'd still have a route to Danish immigration but one that takes 4x as long as a Danish non-citizen. Being as I'm not in the market for any schooling, I'd need to work there for 8 years, dependent on immigrating by getting a job offer for a job that's on the Danish govt. "positives list" (every 6 months they revise a list of professions they would let immigrate, Building Structural Engineer has been included every time I've seen it revised), which is itself not strictly but usually dependent on already achieving Danish fluency at a technical-professional reading level before immigrating, very f'n hard. Assuredly not everyone who immigrates via a "positives list" job will be Danish-fluent or even proficient, I know the transnational geotech-tunnels-bridges-infrastructure-etc construction firm COWI now works in English even in their Danish offices, but I haven't found an English-speaking structural engineering firm, and there's still the question of learning the way my profession works in consort w/ Danish and EU building codes and public agencies.
Maybe this is an utterly deranged point but even though this feels like the way I, Noah, will live, the path I choose also makes me nauseous. Like, who I am sometimes looks good to me in an act of projected hindsight (of course I learn the language, online, alone with the help of a tutor, books, and apps, in a reasonable time period while also working and being totally healthy, then I move), actually embodying it it just feels like nothing quite works, or everyone understands - every person that you talk to is, on demand, able to express - that the process is coherent but the process isn't exactly coherent. Duolingo sucks, and it's the only language learning service anyone actually uses; oh, people who actually want to learn their language to sonorous fluency use a natural language learning service like Glossika, but they absolutely suck as well and don't give you feedback at all; people who actually want to learn their language don't skip steps, they buy a grammar book and read it through, it's all very rigorous, here's the orthography of that language: {bucket of linguistic orthographic symbology that only your friend studying linguistics in Knoxville knows}; the whole process should take about 3 months, but here's someone who says they've been learning for 9 years and they aren't conversational and sound like bricks clanging together. Except I shouldn't complain, because if I'd just applied while older than 15 and younger than 22 I would've been handed a passport, no questions asked. But I didn't know that, because we didn't look into it, and we only knew what we knew when what was previously true was unwaveringly the case, but it wavered, but we blew it. I don't really believe anything too strongly. What I'm trying to say is that I wish I felt like I know what I'm doing but I think I know exactly what I'm doing but it doesn't feel like I know what I'm doing. Maybe it'll just take a long while, and sometimes a 28 year old likes me on hinge, even though I'm 25. But at 18, it felt like this was something I could figure out around 21, and I had gotten pretty good at figuring things out then.
'I feel like I'm a messenger .. sent here by someone .. my mom, probably.'
brücke

Post by brücke »

yeah duolingo is total ass I was a contractor for them on the German course for like a year (reviewing user reported translations, writing sentences) and they screwed all of us on hours right after the holidays last year, so I hate them like intensely lol. such a scam besides that, all the studies they had done saying you can learn to a2 proficiency or whatever were all based on the old language progression tree that they replaced with a much shittier version so they could also replace all the human contractors with AI.

so anyway the apps are evil, good luck on learning danish ! if you're in NY i'm sure there's like language groups or meetups or something like at the library or something, definitely a way better experience than talking to the computer. if you can find any "reading proficiency" style textbooks (like https://open.umn.edu/opentextbooks/textbooks/520) those usually have good rundowns of the grammar but aren't great for much else - just try reading kid's books at first with a dictionary and finding a real person to talk to. I'm intensely jealous of anyone with any chance of citizenship outside of the usa I'd love to leave this hole
thewisdomoftime

Post by thewisdomoftime »

brücke wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 4:53 pm ... such a scam besides that, all the studies they had done saying you can learn to a2 proficiency or whatever were all based on the old language progression tree ...
I feel like getting someone to A2-level proficiency shouldn't even be impressive! It's a lot of hours for someone with a grad school reading level to make it to the language level of a toddler with a poor grasp of sound! haha
brücke wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 4:53 pmif you're in NY i'm sure there's like language groups or meetups or something like at the library or something, definitely a way better experience than talking to the computer. ... just try reading kid's books at first with a dictionary and finding a real person to talk to.
I think every language learning site that runs thru all your options reaches their conclusions and tells you to schedule Italki tutoring the minute you're at all comfortable doing so.. that was my takeaway when I was reading all the articles on it that I could on the plane back home before my in-flight IPA put me to sleep. My mom and a friend have kindly given me some books but maybe a YA book would actually help a lot. I wasn't able to find a Danish class in NYC (I'm sure there's a good reason for this, but, "Scandinavia House" in midtown Manhattan only runs Swedish and Norwegian classes right now), but thank you, hunting for a 'learner's group' might find me something.

I joined a discord from /r/danishlanguage but it's terrible inactive as far as I could see, I think it might have clogged up with people who have shelved the dream of Denmark (I did this for a year) or dispassionate polyglots or something. But I won't give up the dream of symbiotic tutoring.
brücke wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 4:53 pmI'm intensely jealous of anyone with any chance of citizenship outside of the usa I'd love to leave this hole
It's a fun little stretch trying not to lose sight of this idea, while also not romanticizing somewhere else. NYC is wonderful, there are moments I know I'm around people like me; but also COL in Brooklyn is like 20-30% higher than in Copenhagen, and the places NYC is cheaper in tend to be bullshit I don't need to be so inexpensive (clothing*, books, food service), while housing and supermarket food are dramatically cheaper there. (And the weather's dramatically better in CPH, if you ask me, and, uh, I stopped [redacted] for my safety in NYC, and they've got pensions over there, but anyway we're getting towards the romanticizing thing here...)

*There's plenty of cheap used carhartt WIP from grailed users in Scandinavia, so, all good here.
'I feel like I'm a messenger .. sent here by someone .. my mom, probably.'