ramdom thought thread revival

off topic
_Organism

Re: ramdom thought thread revival

Post by _Organism »

DeafIdiotGod wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:40 am I kind of want to get a small gold hoop earring but I'm concerned it will hurt when I'm wearing my ATH-M50 headphones which don't give you a lot of room.

Kinda like this
Spoiler:
edit: maybe I'll start with a stud then graduate to a ring later if it means avoiding a month w/o my cans.
ime little hoops like that are actually a lot better than studs for wearing headphones! you probably would want to keep them off that ear while you heal regardless of what you get but studs tend to just have a spike that pokes you in the neck when you wear headphones/lay on them
UnwashedMolasses

Post by UnwashedMolasses »

_Organism wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:56 pm you probably would want to keep them off that ear while you heal regardless of what you get but studs tend to just have a spike that pokes you in the neck when you wear headphones/lay on them
+1 on this

for what it's worth the piercing shops I've been to won't start a piercing with a hoop cause it's more likely to get caught on things and get agitated, which can fuck up the healing process

but also the earlobe is definitely one of the easiest places to heal

not sure if ear size is a factor but I use M50s and I don't remember ever having an issue with my lobes after piercing. recently got a triple helix done and I had to use some PortaPros for a week or so to avoid compressing the ear, but after that it was fine
seesaw

Post by seesaw »

hoping that all the repressed youths who spent the first year (two years?) of college in their parents' basements go fucking wild when this thing is over
iral

Post by iral »

I'm at the usual lunch spot, a convenience mart that does cooked breakfast sandwiches (BEC and the like). As I'm paying this guy comes in (no mask) and reaches into the food display case right next to me and grabs something, looks over me and asks "you like hotdogs?" and I reply "yea, from time to time". I leave.

this happen to anyone else?
Trench Witch

Post by Trench Witch »

I want to be in hot dog heaven
I will never put my sword down
brücke

Post by brücke »

cartilage piercings hurt so bad lmao
AARON

Post by AARON »

s/o @ramdomthought for the care package, don't think these will last a day :-D
p3rn

Post by p3rn »

I just watched eighth grade (yes, 3 years late) and it really is as good as people said.
julius

Post by julius »

I like the feeling of progress I get from reading physical copies of books, but I don't like how they change how I think as I approach the end. Feeling how close something is to ending introduces so much friction to the experience. Like I'm checking how many more pages are left constantly because I'm wondering if this is really how the author is ending things, it's like my standards rise out of nowhere. Thinking I just need to work on chilling out but like I don't read enough books end to end to really do that diligently lol

I was reading a short story this morning in pdf form and I only realized it was ending when I scrolled a bit more and saw I was on the last paragraph. Absolute bliss.
thewisdomoftime

Post by thewisdomoftime »

julius wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:57 pm I like the feeling of progress I get from reading physical copies of books, but I don't like how they change how I think as I approach the end.
Hell yes, a topic eminently worth attention.
A few days ago I was describing to my parents how physical books are, for me, downstream of the attention economy of phone apps -- that is, I use physical books because I know myself and know I read physical books.

The behavior of knifing through physical books is very specific, but it's also parallel to the digital experience. Skipping a paragraph in the physical of Man Without Qualities, Vol 1., is really similar to skipping paragraphs in the digital of Crime and Punishment. It's just modernity tome. It's just modernist tome.
The behavior of reaching the very end of physical books is very specific, and like nothing else, the behavior of "having a few" (holding 3 pages in your hand) is really like nothing else.

Short story collections tend to break it, or to prove the difference that's in place-- like when reading Cortazar's short story collections Blow-Up and others..., I remember I checked the number of pages left in a story about servants and found the story was 30 pages, but I didn't ever check the number of pages left in a 65 page story about being friends with a jazz musician in late-50's Paris, because I was absolutely engrossed. Reading Proust (700 pages of delirium with 3000 pages to go) or reading Krasznahorkai or Bernhard (200-300 pages of delirium and nothing more), you definitely feel when you've got 200 pages to go, and 100 pages to go, and 13 pages to go and 6 pages to go, and you start seeking heavy reflection. Different authors broach this in different ways: a 65 page philosophical writing can assume colossal weight in its final paragraph, but Proust will still be inside a tree on the last 3 pages of a 700 page book.

It really comes down to the matter that ending a book, today, turns into a type of explanation --- if it isn't, as in an individualist psychology book, obvious why the book is being sold to the reader, it must become event that a book has transpired in the reader's life. I think it's interesting, it's aesthetic ground, for a book -- Taipei by Tao Lin, for obvious reasons, did this to me recently -- to lay claim to the act of hardened, reified language as the-last-means-that-is-already-an-end, to actually write after Daoism, in the context that you might not be solving anything by speaking.
'I feel like I'm a messenger .. sent here by someone .. my mom, probably.'
iral

Post by iral »

Meeting people you’ve only met via zoom/Skype is really weird. Met this guy I had weekly meetings with last year and he was like a foot taller than I thought.
starfox64

Post by starfox64 »

Similarly, there are a number of people that I've seen regularly over the past few months that I never met pre-pandemic, and therefore have never interacted with other than with both of us being masked (i.e. I am not sure exactly what they look like).
“I understand the music, I understand the movies, I even see how comic books can tell us things. But there are full professors in this place who read nothing but cereal boxes.”

“It’s the only avant-garde we’ve got.”
rjbman
Site Admin

Post by rjbman »

iral wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:58 am Meeting people you’ve only met via zoom/Skype is really weird. Met this guy I had weekly meetings with last year and he was like a foot taller than I thought.
or when you only chat via irc / see their fitpics, then you meet up in europe for 3 weeks :lol: jrisk is a tall lad
~*~ cut my life into pieces, this is my last resort ~*~
seesaw

Post by seesaw »

i am only 8 rep away from being able to neg. there is only one post on this entire forum that i want to neg but i will not reveal which post it is. it will be absolutely nuclear
seesaw

Post by seesaw »

ramdomthought

Post by ramdomthought »

my brother and sister tricked me as a child into eating mayo and sour cream as though they were vanilla yogurt

to this day i cannot eat mayo. made a broccoli salad thing for my old man's birthday, needed mayo. spent an embarrassing amount of time looking for mayo in the grocery store

the 'salad' turned out good at least
Warning you with ✌ and love

Nothing will be signed after the 20th of October!
lionfir44
Location: closer to hell, michigan than probably anyone else here

Post by lionfir44 »

yo, too lazy to make a full b/s thread but does anyone wanna buy my old red raf short sleeve ss14 sweater? its in a few fit pics back on my old ct account. willing to part with it for $50 (lowballs accepted), but if no one wants it i'll probably just give it away for care share 2021 (if that's a thing).