ramdom thought thread revival

off topic
skunk ape
First Prestige
First Prestige

Re: ramdom thought thread revival

Post by skunk ape »

Do you ever leave scented candles that are waiting in the hopper in your dresser, making your clothes smell good? Neat tip I'm recommending for people who have too many clothes/candles and use unscented detergent because scented detergent smells like a toilet.

Put this in your signature if you like to post with friends: https://i.imgur.com/GUPLGPw.png

ramdomthought

Post by ramdomthought »

my older brother is going down the self improvement/goodyearwelt shoes/mech watch/fountain pen rabbit holes on the internet

it's fine enough, but he's now commenting on "people of color in the garbage lord of the rings series". clearly the next step of the self improvement bullshti algo

the internet was a mistake
Warning you with ✌ and love

Nothing will be signed after the 20th of October!
SyntacticallyCorrect

Post by SyntacticallyCorrect »

What's the read on affordable housing solutions. I feel like the progressive/lefty circles I orbit around are starting to bifurcate where the most 'progressive' minds seem to be very /very/ anti-development because it seems impossible to decouple increasing housing supply and displacement (even if its just a downstream side-effect).

Seems like a lot of people point to Minneapolis as a good example of good housing policy
rjbman
Site Admin

Post by rjbman »

oh god yimby / nimby discourse has reached care-tags

edit:
Spoiler:
obviously when we don't have enough housing where people want to live, shit is more expensive. there are ways to prevent displacement via rent control but also rent control is nowhere near sufficient to maintain affordability and just locks existing tenants in and locks out everyone else. build more, ideally publicly owned.
~*~ cut my life into pieces, this is my last resort ~*~
ramdomthought

Post by ramdomthought »

nephew snuck up on me while i was watching a grown man in a donald duck costume play kingdom hearts on twitch

asked what it was i was watching on twitch

i've never been more embarassed

bels
First Prestige
First Prestige

Post by bels »

what did you say you were watching.
thewisdomoftime

Post by thewisdomoftime »

I wrote my book club post and then the preview button eated all my fun statements and I'm blue
'I feel like I'm a messenger .. sent here by someone .. my mom, probably.'
freddy

Post by freddy »

I miss having a lot of non-sequitur random thoughts. Remission is surreal and awe-inducing. Not sure what's next. Life isn't so random anymore. What now?
olympiaitsthewater

Post by olympiaitsthewater »

SyntacticallyCorrect wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:48 pm What's the read on affordable housing solutions. I feel like the progressive/lefty circles I orbit around are starting to bifurcate where the most 'progressive' minds seem to be very /very/ anti-development because it seems impossible to decouple increasing housing supply and displacement (even if its just a downstream side-effect).

Seems like a lot of people point to Minneapolis as a good example of good housing policy
the solution is "communist revolution"
ramdomthought

Post by ramdomthought »

pittsburgh is a fun city

my god did it kick my ass to cycle around though

ramdomthought

Post by ramdomthought »

non alcoholic beer: pretty good stuff

ramdomthought

Post by ramdomthought »

tomorrow is the final check in/sign off for the johnson and johnson covid vax trial for me

really been 3 fuckin years of this huh

skunk ape
First Prestige
First Prestige

Post by skunk ape »

Put this in your signature if you like to post with friends: https://i.imgur.com/GUPLGPw.png

foxtail_grass
First Prestige
First Prestige

Post by foxtail_grass »

SyntacticallyCorrect wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:48 pm Seems like a lot of people point to Minneapolis as a good example of good housing policy
very late to this but Minneapolis has a long way to go for affordable housing

i can't find a more recent statistic but i remember that homelessness in MN increased 10% between 2015 and 2018
which was before the worst of our housing price bubble, currently still ever-looming

the 'official' PIT (point in time) count for Hennepin County (Minneapolis) shows a gradual overall decrease in homelessness over the last 10 years, but what they are primarily counting is those who are in shelters, with a guess to how many are living unhoused outside of the shelters. I am thinking this data could be skewed by post-uprising crackdowns on large homeless gatherings/encampments, which have resulted in those experiencing homelessness to be much more scattered and secretive about their situation. A large sum of the work that mutual aid orgs do now is track the (forced) migration and dispersion of various encampments, as well as negotiate trusting relationships and specific visitation protocol with smaller/more private camps. many also protest during these evictions. https://unicornriot.ninja/2022/three-en ... -hundreds/

Another theory I have is that many people experiencing homelessness here in the summer find ways to migrate to warmer climates for part of the year, typically by bus lines, but also by securing vehicles. The PIT survey is conducted every January. This is when our unhoused population is likely at its lowest.

As far as affordability goes for those who can afford housing, I can't say I've seen any major spikes in rent rates, just the usual gradual creep. friends still seem to find good deals. that being said there has been an increase in cost of utilities.

We still have tons of newly built, ugly gray boxes filled with apartments/condos that nobody can afford. They crop up all over the city
ramdomthought

Post by ramdomthought »

riding a bicycle in the snow rocks

i need fenders

thewisdomoftime

Post by thewisdomoftime »

skunk ape wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:51 pm Post your favorite: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... jtuR895si3
bow #3 for me:
'I feel like I'm a messenger .. sent here by someone .. my mom, probably.'
funyuns

Post by funyuns »

after twitter, elon musk sets his eyes on acquiring care-tags and in true evil capitalist fashion acquires all rep leaving the rest of us in rep debt