Lifestyle Flintstone

Off topic

Lifestyle Flintstone

Postby bels » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:42 pm

Post people/things that inspire you to do things other than buy/wear clothes.

bels
Yung Winona

Re: Lifestyle Flintstone

Postby bels » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:56 pm

I'll start us of with my personal role model, Louis Theroux:

For a big man – well over 6ft – he is remarkably gentle in his bearing, but it's his eyes that invite confidence, for he squints with an expression of the most profound compassion and concern. If I didn't know what he did for a living, I'd guess he was a therapist, because it's the expression a good shrink would wear while a client recalled some terrible trauma. In his forgiving gaze, it's impossible to believe that anything you say could ever cause offence or shock – and so, of course, people come out with all sorts, forgetting that viewers may be rather more judgmental than Theroux.

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio ... ocumentary

I suspect that some of the criticism comes from people who find it hard to reconcile Theroux’s sophisticated background and intelligence with his on-screen persona and populist subject matter. After all, his father is the American travel writer Paul Theroux; his English mother worked for the BBC World Service, he went to Westminster public school and then to Oxford. Certainly, having watched all his documentaries and come to feel that I knew him a little, his off-screen intellectual confidence comes as a bit of a surprise. At one point, when we discuss his new book, The Call ofThe Weird, in which he revisits some of the offbeat characters he met during Weird Weekends, he even quotes Nietzsche at me.

http://www.sathnam.com/louis-theroux/

If you're interested in hunting down some of his stuff, I think my top 5 overall selection would be:

Louis and the Brothel

Louis, Martin and Michael

Law and Disorder in Johannesburg

A Place for Paedophiles

And obviously, The Gangsta Rap Weird Weekend

bels
Yung Winona

Postby inherently » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:02 pm

Richard Feynman:

I don't remember how old I was when I first heard of him, but he's the person that I aspire to be. I remember reading "Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman" (a collection of his stories) sometime in high school. It's a fun read imo, and it ranges from light and humorous to somber and serious.

He's the prototypical scientist: relentlessly curious, passionate about understanding things, and generally excited about the world. He was a fantastic storyteller as well, and he was an excellent educator. He was also mischievous and had a great sense of humor.

Here are some of my favorite stories from him:

Who stole the door?

"Safecracker meets Safecracker"

inherently

Postby BobbyZamora » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:05 am

B)
BobbyZamora

Postby ratchetkoala » Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:49 pm

the thing to remember at sxsw is that no one will actually notice what you're wearing because we'll all be so involved in our personal hells

people keep saying i'm intense, or my music is. i don't think i'm intense, i think i'm just making art.

ppl talk of artists "breaking" in the industry but these 5yrs I've felt more like water seeping into cracks + little by little widening them

after my set a nice West Point boy said he thinks he loves me + for a moment I was like this must be how it feels to be a nice normal girl

https://twitter.com/mitskileaks

http://nymag.com/thecut/2015/05/mitski-on-writing-love-songs-and-giving-a-shit.html

I want to talk about the album, but first I really want to talk about this specific lyric on “First Love/Late Spring.” You refer to yourself as a “tall child,” more than once. I appreciate that. Beyoncé is always telling us to be a “grown woman”; it’s refreshing to hear the alternative.

When I wrote this song, I was experiencing the kind of vulnerable first love, and experiencing that kind of love [that makes] you realize how much of a weenie you are. I felt like I was in love for the first time when I was writing that song, and like a kid. I was like, Man, my body is like a grown person, but inside I'm a child. But it’s not just with love. When you're doing something you're not used to, you kind of realize that you're still a kid even though the whole world around you sees you as an adult and you're expected to act like an adult, you still haven't actually grown up.

All of the songs on Bury Me at Makeout Creek are equally as vulnerable. What, for you, is the album about?
I think it's about giving a shit. Honestly, in the music business, it's all about being cool or being the newest thing, or being the “It" person, and I've tried really hard to be what is expected of me or what would be advantageous to my career, and I just reached the point where I said "No, I'm an emotional loser, I can't pretend to not care." I can't pretend to be a cool person who doesn't care about things. I care a lot. I think with this third record, I finally just let go of wanting to impress people and just did what I wanted to do.

ratchetkoala

Postby rublev » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:07 pm

PAUL CELAN

romanian born (1920), son of german jewish parents who died in a labour camp during WW2. unable to reconcile his (hesitant) faith and his 'germanness', he threw himself into the seine in 1970.

Spoiler:

THE ECONOMIST

hands down the best weekly publication. BUT has made me slow at reading novels 'cos there's so damn much to take in (A BAD THING)

ARVO PART

estonian born minimalist composer. sacred music. tintinnabuli ('the ringing of bells') is his own compositional style.

here's a cute video where he's interviewed by bjork.

Spoiler:
and another where he talks about blades of grass

two of my fave pieces

CONAN O'BRIEN

i don't really watch late night anything and don't really go for talk shows but his remotes make me think he's one of the funniest people alive. this was one of the first remotes i saw and it still makes me laugh. his improv is beautiful.

CARL VON CLAUSEWITZ

everyone's fave prussian general and author of on war, what's not to like.

additional shoutouts to:

anton chekhov
neil macgregor
larry david
phil elverum
knut hamsun

...i will come back to this

rublev
Political Editor

Postby julius » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:40 pm

Resurrecting this thread since it's been p impactful on my life actually and I still think it's a p good topic

@ratchetkoala Been listening to Mitski ever since I saw this post. I went to her concert in Philly a few days ago and found that a song I always put myself off from hearing actually described my life situation atm (it felt like a wave that'd been rising for two years finally hit me)

Anyway! Two people I looked up to for a long time (not so much in my thoughts anymore but I definitely wouldn't be where I am now without them) are Ira Glass, and Scott Carrier.

Glass is the person behind This American Life (aka the show that birthed Serial), and has done a bunch of really cool things like produce movies with Mike Birbiglia, and have a broadway show.
[
all of us who do creative work.. we get into it because we have good taste. Do you know what I mean? You wanna make TV because you love TV, you know what I mean, because there's stuff you just like love. So you've got really good taste. And you get into this thing, that, I don't even know how to describe it, it's like a gap: for the first couple years where you're making stuff, what you're making isn't so good. It's not so great. It's trying to be good. It has ambition to be good. But it's not that good. But your taste, the thing that got you into the game, your taste is still killer. And your taste is good enough that you can tell that what you're making is still kind of a disappointment to you, you know what I mean, like you can tell that it's still kind of crappy. A lot of people never get past that phase. A lot of people, at that point, they quit.

It's totally normal. And the most important possible thing you can do is do a lot of work. A huge volume of work..

in other sources where he tells this story, iirc, he frames it like the 10,000 hours idea with the phrase "everyone has 10,000 bad stories in them, so you just have to get them out of you as quickly as you can, so you gotta just do a lot of work. I was so timid when I started radio 4 years ago, and now, while I'm still socially timid, my work definitely isn't. And while my first drafts are often more of a dumpster fire than my colleagues, I often start so much earlier and end much more satisfied.

Carrier is just another journalist, radio voice, and author.

He kind of just picked up a mic, walked from salt lake city to DC, recording his journey with a tape and mic, and asked NPR to produce it with him.
I’m often asked “How can I get into radio?” Typically, I respond with things like “Just start making stories. Take some classes then get an internship. ”

What I don’t say is “Interview a lot of people then show up at a radio station and ask ‘Can you help me produce a radio story?'” That seems unlikely to work.

But, maybe I should give that advice because that’s how Scott Carrier got his start in radio back in 1983. Only instead of knocking on the door of a radio station recordings in hand, he went directly to the mothership — NPR

https://transom.org/2014/the-hitchhiker/

julius

Return to Care