Bikes

Off topic

Re: Bikes

Postby JewTurk » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:51 am

This is my commuter/do everything bike right now. Pretty happy with my set-up after a few different iterations. Working at a shop for a few months was super nice, got lots of parts I'd been hoping for for cheap.

I want to be strong and commute during the winter too. My battle plan is to just get a cheap set of disc brakes to replace my current so I don't have to worry about them rusting up like crazy and then just oiling anything and everything as much as possible. Any winter commute advice aside from studs for tires?

JewTurk

Re: Bikes

Postby rjbman » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:19 pm

first cyclocross season wrapped up a few weeks ago. i'm no good (at least out here in CO) but I got a bike mount for my go pro anyways in the hopes of some good footage. AND I DID.

main lessons learned:
  • you're gonna fall, lots. get used to it and the med tent
  • mount / dismounts are super important so practice instead of just crossing your fingers
  • sprint off the line to get the best spot you can early, so people have to pass you instead of the other way around
  • everyone gets gassed, it's just who can go longest until it happens (exception: diesels who just keep churning)
  • booze after makes everything okay (PBR & fireball)
  • fewer people show up later in the season so tough it out and get some points

"Let's be vagabonds." - Yohji Yamamoto
rjbman

Previous

Return to Care