off topic
iral

top 5 strangers

Post by iral »

my favorite thread
iral

Re: top 5 strangers

Post by iral »

- the two guys I met on a day trip to denver at my hostel: Juan (former breakdancer turned IT person) and Jake (med school grad turned digital nomad), who I hung out w for the night

- guy named George who really wanted taco bell late at night but didnt have his car (drunk & dining room closed) so he hopped in ours and gave us way too much money for his food & told us his life story (smiling)

- person who came into the restaurant I work at who slapped a cicada off my butt (in a cute way)

- server at a fancy brunch place who gave me the recipe to some house drink they had (i forgot now)
thewisdomoftime

Post by thewisdomoftime »

Waiter at a Danish restaurant in Manhattan. We chatted about the two owners, both half-Danes named Sebastian. I said I really like those guys, because I only know 3 other half-Danes, and 1 is my brother. He asked if I go to the nearby college, which is NYU. I actually went to the other nearby college, about 1/50 the size of NYU, which he knew of. He's from the city, actually, and he's in a band. What kind of music do they make? They're inspired by The Strokes or Parquet Courts, he's the singer. He didn't mention Interpol, and neither did I, but I should have mentioned Interpol. So they make garage rock. He confirms this, he's the singer, but he doesn't think he's very good. It's performative, it's all about energy. My date chimes in-- yeah, singing, it's all about energy. We also talked about Williamsburg going from a Hispanic neighborhood to a neighborhood he and I have no business in. He liked that I could pronounce Smørrebrød, and that I know Bushwick well [nevermind that that's a Hispanic neighborhood and could later be one I have no business in], and that I said Danish is like French German. I really like the waiter at the Danish restaurant, I'm gonna go again with my roommates and even if it's just the owners in we'll chat about the waiter and his garage rock band. It's hard to play house shows in Manhattan, you have to play bars instead.
'I feel like I'm a messenger .. sent here by someone .. my mom, probably.'
bels
First Prestige
First Prestige

Post by bels »

We forgot to do this this year
iral

Post by iral »

White guy who calls himself "El Chapo" who's a regular at karaoke night at a bar I go to. He usually sings Sinatra & Rat Pack-esque stuff. There's also a big crew of regulars who go around the local karaoke circuit, they're mostly very nice (singing talent varies..)
foxtail_grass
First Prestige
First Prestige

Post by foxtail_grass »

Middle-aged man who walks his coonhound in Nordeast. Always spotted with a cream 10-gallon hat, camel wool duster, leather briefcase, and cowboy boots. Our northern caballero.

Older gentleman who plays piano on weekend mornings inside the hardware store. Rhinestone studded boots. Cowboy hat. Usually some sort of black silk. Plays Linger by the Cranberries.
iral

Post by iral »

the squirrel who i see every morning run across my neighbor's roof and jump onto a tree

the two birds who sit on my window sometimes when im practicing
iral

Post by iral »

Guy I sat next to before my friends musical in Detroit who was a retired car dashboard designer.

Baby I walked by the other day who started crying after we made eye contact

Woman who owned this bakery I went to who told me the secret to how they make their tarts so tasty (egg wash then freeze, egg wash again before baking in the morning from frozen)

Woman at the shoe repair store who was dispensing unprompted life advice about how Happiness is paramount to life no matter what career

My friend was trying to open a bottle of topo Chico off a metal sign at a gas station and a guy sitting in his car called us over and let us borrow his bottle
skunk ape
First Prestige
First Prestige

Post by skunk ape »

Bottom 5 Strangers

You have just put your infant to bed. Who is driving past your house?

Guy on a two-stroke pedal [redacted] conversion.
Guy in Dodge Charger with a fartcan and fucked up timing who cannot control the throttle.
Guy in Polaris Slingshot playing R&B at high volume.
Guy in boom car playing his friend's shitty soundcloud rap at high volume.
Guy battling midlife crisis doing loops around the neighborhood in his canary yellow c3 Corvette Stingray convertible.

Put this in your signature if you like to post with friends: https://i.imgur.com/GUPLGPw.png

Julio
First Prestige
First Prestige

Post by Julio »

the grandma and grandpa (ahead and before me in line, respectively) at the chinese bakery who chatted me up because they saw i had cogon to make tea with. the grandpa was very amused as he saw me buying candied winter melon as a sweetener, apparently a real old-school way to do it. turned into a long conversation about where i was from and why i looked foreign and how'd i learn about it, and did i go to chinatown often?

aaaaand that's all for now