Alexander McQueen, VOSS, S/S 2001

Runway & Lookbooks

Alexander McQueen, VOSS, S/S 2001

Postby Iliam » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:19 am

“The show was staged inside a huge two-way mirrored box, whereby the audience was reflected in the glass before the show began and then the models could not see out once the show started.”

McQueen, 20/20 Europe, January/February 2001

“[In this collection] the idea was to turn people’s faces on themselves. I wanted to turn it around and make them think, am I actually as good as what I’m looking at?”

The Fashion, Spring/Summer 2001

Spoiler:
“I want to be honest about the world that we live in, and sometimes my political persuasions come through in my work. Fashion can be really racist, looking at the clothes of other cultures as costumes. . . . That’s mundane and it’s old hat. Let’s break down some barriers.”

Nylon, February 2004

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Razor-clam shells stripped and varnished.

“My friend George and I were walking on the beach in Norfolk, and there were thousands of [razor-clam] shells. They were so beautiful, I thought I had to do something with them. So, we decided to make [a dress] out of them. . . . The shells had outlived their usefulness on the beach, so we put them to another use on a dress. Then Erin [O’Conner] came out and trashed the dress, so their usefulness was over once again. Kind of like fashion, really.”

WWD, September 28, 2000

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Overdress of panels from a nineteenth-century Japanese silk screen; underdress of oyster shells; neckpiece of silver and Tahiti pearls.

Spoiler:
“There’s blood beneath every layer of skin.” - McQueen (from the Met)

Spoiler:
“These beautiful models were walking around in the room, and then suddenly this woman who wouldn’t be considered beautiful was revealed. It was about trying to trap something that wasn’t conventionally beautiful to show that beauty comes from within.”

WWD, September 28, 2000

ImageImage

Spoiler:

Iliam

Return to Seasonal Collections