back to the kitchen, that pyrex vision

off topic
frannyglass

back to the kitchen, that pyrex vision

Post by frannyglass »

in which we talk about what we're cheffin or bakin up and in which maj proselytizes an incomprehensible tier system of food hobbying
i'm svvagged out.. based.
frannyglass

Re: back to the kitchen, that pyrex vision

Post by frannyglass »

started getting into jams a bit, mostly berry stuff, but today i'm upping the challenge and trying to do a grapefruit marmalade

will update with more pics soon
p3rn

Post by p3rn »

I feel like beans in broth is the ideal winter -> spring transitional meal so on the menu tonight:

borlotti beans in broth with roasted fennel and a bit of wild garlic + walnut pesto
served with a thick slice of homemade sourdough

also messing around with some vegan hot cross buns curious to see how they turn out.
yljt

Post by yljt »

made osso buco (braised veal shanks) with my bestie this weekend : )

frannyglass

Post by frannyglass »

marmalade update

some process pics too for those interested
Spoiler:
frannyglass

Post by frannyglass »

titkitten wrote: but how does it taste
pretty amazing i won't lie. i think i overcooked slightly, it's a touch cement-y, but i prefer that to being runny (like my previous jams have come out)
rubymtn

Post by rubymtn »

Thumbing through the Joe Beef cookbook makes me want to visit Montréal. What are y'alls favorite cookbooks
Mojave
iral

Post by iral »

inspired by my pal Windowflowers, made some orange marmalade. Did 2 kinds-- with tangelos and cara cara oranges-- and it's interesting to be able to taste the differences between the two. The tangelos were much more tart to start off and the cara cara oranges have a rounder, sweeter taste, which came through a lot in the final product.
Ques

Post by Ques »

rubymtn wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:44 am Thumbing through the Joe Beef cookbook makes me want to visit Montréal. What are y'alls favorite cookbooks
ones i reach for most:

zahav
dinner
nothing fancy
my kitchen in rome
the art of simple food

but if NYT.com was a cookbook that would be my #1. also smitten kitchen
Ques

Post by Ques »

feeling the need to trot out the marm i made a few weeks ago as well now. mixed citrus, i think i used orange, tangerello, lemon, blood orange, and grapefruit?

my mason jars only consumed half of it, so the rest is filling my various other takeout tins...

no-recipe pizza i made last weekend with ends and bits in my fridge

currently prepping for my first passover seder. doing matzo ball chicken soup, chopped liver with shallots on matzo, parsley horseradish fennel salad, ribs and baby yukons braised in spices and vinegar, schmaltzy carrots, and matzo toffee for dessert... very excited

been begging my local butcher to save me chicken skin scraps for weeks, as well as freezing my own, and i should have enough to make the ~1.5 cups of schmaltz i need for the meal
iral

Post by iral »

rubymtn wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:44 amWhat are y'alls favorite cookbooks
The Flavor Equation by Nik Sharma (Indian cuisine mainly)
The food lab by Kenji

both are pretty STEM-brained but p valuable info about how to cook vs just recipes
rubymtn

Post by rubymtn »

On that note, does anybody have any favorite cookbooks for Iranian (specifically Tehrani) cuisine? I love Iranian cuisine and have learned how to cook some dishes through friends but have yet to find a cookbook that looks good.
Mojave
judith_pancake

Post by judith_pancake »

rubymtn wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:44 am Thumbing through the Joe Beef cookbook makes me want to visit Montréal. What are y'alls favorite cookbooks
I work in food but have a pretty meager cookbook collection, the ones I use most are

660 Curries- Raghavan Iyer
Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking- Marcella Hazan
Japanese Home Cooking- Sonoko Sakai
Advanced Bread and Pastry: A Professional Approach- Michel Suas
Prune cookbook- Gabrielle Hamilton

there's this sort of avant garde fine dining food blog that's not been updated in years that i visit every so often for inspiration. you gotta use way back machine but here's a capture if anyone's interested: https://web.archive.org/web/20170928135 ... epad.com/

here's another jewish food one that is basically all the food i grew up eating so it's nice seeing things written up even if it's kinda junky: https://web.archive.org/web/20210311104 ... gspot.com/
miles

Post by miles »

My go tos

Japanese Farm Food - Nancy Hashisu
Japan: The Cookbook - Nancy Hachisu
Night + Market Cookbook - Kris Yenbamroong
Various Ottolenghis and Zaitoon by Yasmin Khan
Woks of Life website
All about dinner by Molly Stevens for the white people food.

Got burned by All Under Heaven by Carolyn Phillips. Should have listened to my friend who told me not to get the white lady chinese cookbook. It won a james beard award...

Any recs for good chinese cookbooks? Or websites?
skunk ape
First Prestige
First Prestige

Post by skunk ape »

Chef Wang is the man but he talks SUPER fast and his setup is difficult/impossible to replicate in a home kitchen: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg0m_A ... nn77-vYnYw

For, uh, an easier time, I also quite like Chinese Cooking Demystified: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC54SLB ... Q6N__UjbAw

Put this in your signature if you like to post with friends: https://i.imgur.com/GUPLGPw.png

UnwashedMolasses

Post by UnwashedMolasses »

my wife and I saw a tiktok for sausage and onion gravy so we fucked around with it

caramelized onions & cider in the gravy, Irish "bangers" (sic) from a local butcher, rosemary + sage + garlic + buttermilk in the potatoes with the skins crisped on top, basic bitch arugula salad + parm, etc.
funyuns

Post by funyuns »

miles wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:26 pm
Any recs for good chinese cookbooks? Or websites?
tbh imo a lot is sort of just having eaten stuff and backing out the tastes from ur palette

you can try 小高姐姐 Magic Ingredients on youtube. her stuff has english translations i think, and is pretty xi’an homestyle cooking + other things

fu pei-mei is sort of a classic bible for taiwanese food, and i’m 99% certain she has had english translations too... its relatively comprehensive on regional cuisines (yue, xiang, lu, huaiyang, etc etc) so its a good resource

tbh tho i feel like trendy kids in hk and tw nowadays are into western and/or japanese food... like nice cafes w/ instagrammable pasta and salads and stuff, or japanese washoku style like feed your nerves in prince edwards. that and korean food bc k-wave