2021 Retrospective

clothes
skunk ape
First Prestige
First Prestige

2021 Retrospective

Post by skunk ape »

Since Bela won't post it because he believes looking into the past is as depressing as looking into the future, I'm stealing his format. The older version can be found in the archive here.

Tell me about how you did in 2020
I didn't go anywhere, but I did move and have a kid, which is when I realized I have a lot of coats. No, I will not be getting rid of any of them. Yes, I wore almost all of them (save two that are basically only appropriate for wearing to the office). I spent a lot of time in shorts because the summers mysteriously keep getting hotter, and I spent a lot of time in t-shirts because babies like to drool and throw up.

did you buy more than you had hoped/planned or less
I didn't need anything so I didn't buy anything. In 2022, I just raided the sale section at ssense and it brought me to august on total purchases for 2021 (although at a lower price). I bought a few things opportunistically but they were additions to a set so I feel like I already made the initial investment and these were add ons (this is a completely bullshit justification). I completely avoided t-shirts and shoes.

I also retrieved my clothes from work and wow, it's like having a new wardrobe so buying stuff didn't make sense.

what did you buy that you really love (post fit pics)
I live in a house without mirrors so I don't have any fitpics that are worth sharing, but mostly my purchases were good. I got a great norbit 3L tweed coat which is a lot of fun but it turns out it's difficult to style, and then most of my money went to borre akkersdijk for pants nobody will ever see.

what did you buy that was a huge mistake
Bought a nanamica flannel but forgot that large now means extra large so I gave it to a friend. I was hoping for a lightweight sunblocking shirt for spring beach going but it was just ridiculous on me.

and to focus less on buying — look back on your styling in 2020.
last year I said:
I am against using AC as much as possible so I spent the months of May and June in a pair of adidas kolor shorts and that's IT. I don't know if I liked wearing them because I really should have been using AC and was otherwise miserable, but they did the job.
so, same, basically.

I also have the above mentioned tweed jacket and a pied de poule portuguese flannel chore jacketish thing and man, it's tough to pick bottoms for them that aren't gray flannel (which is what I mostly wear anyway).

what did you like wearing?
On the off-chance I left my house, I liked wearing pants. Man it felt good to wear pants. I also went back to the gym during a particularly lulled period in the pandemic so it was nice to remind myself why I own so many shitty t-shirts.

what did you expect to wear more often than you did?
I really thought I was gonna wear shoes more often. And all my [redacted] commute stuff is pointless.

Last year I said flannel shirts took over sweaters. Well guess what: sweaters are back, baby.

what does 2022 look like from your head?
I have a lot of stuff to dump. It's just not getting worn and it's not interesting to collect. As I mentioned, I just bought some things so unless a grail pops up, I will likely stay silent until sale season. Frankly, I'd like to just go outside more. Anywhere.

Put this in your signature if you like to post with friends: https://i.imgur.com/GUPLGPw.png

bels
First Prestige
First Prestige

Re: 2021 Retrospective

Post by bels »

rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH

Tell me about how you did in 2021
I have been back in the office every day since about June 2021 where I had a brief resurgence of "wearing clothes" which convinced me I needed to start "buying clothes" so after a largely fallow year I bought a couple things, mostly shirts. I like shirts.

I do still just wear a black jumper, white tshirt and black stretchy trousers with black vans 80-90% of the time. It's still perfect.

After many years wrestling with what was probably a shopping addiction I think it's largely under control. I bought some stuff, but not too much. Certainly in terms of overall spend it was pretty low. I did not run up 3k worth of credit card debt, which was nice.

Tough one. Probably this sidian ersatz vanes shirt.

I also got a Joseph tracksuit for 15 bucks to wear in the house, but it turned out to be 100% cashmere which felt like quite a victory.

I bought a 6876 jacket + matching trousers that are wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too big for me and I'm just going to have to sell. I also got a sacai turtle neck because I thought I could deal with turtle necks but I just find them annoying, scratchy around the neck. No thanks. Will also be selling in the spring.

For logistical reasons it became practical for me to wear many of the casual suits/tracksuits/matching sets that I've been accruing over many years and I really enjoyed it. Say no to styling, say no to separates, match everything.

Casual suits tbh. Great to wear them instead of just own them. Actually it was great to get my Miu Miu suit back from bigbee and wear that.

Maybe that was my ultimate purchase of the year, something I already owned in 2016.

That sacai mockneck, thought it was going to be the goer. Don't know why I forgot that I don't like mock necks.

I think I'm going to have to replace my venerable white tshirt collection, loads of holes in it. Don't want to buy muji cotton products anymore via ethnic cleansing so might buy some woke brand.

I think I'll probably change job in the next year which will end up with a whole bunch of new logistics that might change things up for me.
foxtail_grass
First Prestige
First Prestige

Post by foxtail_grass »

Tell me how you did in 2021.

2021 seemed to be a year of dealing with the trauma of 2020. I was ready to lie dormant and heal.

So I did, for the most part. I enjoyed living alone. I joined discord and started playing video games. The physical space between myself and newfound friends was comforting. The months of unemployment gave me space for nothingness.

The depression did not set in until after I started looking for work (of course). Since finding a job in late July, I have tried my best to mitigate my blues. Some rebuilding has taken place.

A lot of that subtle, slow regeneration was uprooted by a massive tragedy on Thanksgiving. The depression that was once a quiet undercurrent came back in choking waves. But I was supported by loved ones and myself. Getting through it.

Clothes, particularly thrifting clothes, is a coping mechanism for me. It is comforting to put on blinders and hunt. To build a fantasy identity using someone else’s garments. To adapt something discarded into a new form. Not to mention the little dopamine hits when you score. Or when you *should* be doing something else, something more productive, but you wind up at Goodwill. My “rational” standards are in tact: I can leave empty handed, I don’t use a credit card, I don’t feel shame, etc. So for now I am allowing myself this vice. Goddammit I need one.

Did you buy more than you hoped/planned for or less?

Actually, my unemployment and quarantine blues prevented me from buying clothes for the majority of 2021. Bought a few t-shirts to support some non-profits. But since thxgiving it’s been a different story. I think it will die down as I make space for more mindful practices. For right now I want to just get out of my head.

What did you buy that you really love (post fit pics)?

Bought a simple wool dress and sewed about 100 milagros onto it. Great for my Guinevere costume but honestly I will wear this dress for any special occasion. It makes a beautiful sound.

What did you buy that was a huge mistake?

My huge mistake was actually where I donated. After giving a lot of clothes away to friends, I was advised to bring the rest to a Turnstyle. They waited until after they sorted and took everything to inform me that I would not receive any compensation until the clothes had sold, upon which I would receive 10% of their retail price. I should have just donated to the thrift. Given an offering back to the clothing gods. Learned my lesson.

And to focus less on buying- look back on your styling in 2021.

My style has changed with my trajectory. In 2020, as a Creative Director, I was intentionally playing dress-up after receiving boomer comments about “dressing for success”. I wore structured vintage suits almost every day. I was giving Executive Bitch.

Nowadays, I am enjoying a more subdued style.

What did you like wearing?

No more jeans. More dresses.

What did you expect to wear more often than you did?

I was hoping to be able to wear some of more fantasy/club looks out and about. They’ve stayed in my bedroom so far.

What does 2022 look like from your head?

Man, there’s a desperate need for some hope. I hope I can find some moments in the sun.
Trench Witch

Post by Trench Witch »

Not a bad year. Gf of 5 years and I broke up but it ended up being for the best and helped me change for the better. Graduating soon (finally). Got an internship with the railroad which was really fun. Clothes wise I wore a lot of band shirts and the color black. Toward the end of the year I moved away a little from wearing bright colors and started wearing all black more. I think I like how brighter colors look but I feel a lot better and more confident if I wear dark clothing, if that makes sense. I’ll try and not sell that whole part of my wardrobe (for instance I probably won’t sell my blue supreme coat) in case I want to go back to that. Pretty happy with what I’ve been wearing lately and it’s a lot cheaper than buying supreme. Also I've been wearing pants that are "smarter" for lack of a better term maybe less break. Also cut my hair off. the cycle of reinventing myself into a version of myself I don't hate continues

I think I bought more but I’ve gotten a lot better at managing money. Also been selling a ton of stuff I don’t wear. Have a bunch of stuff at my parent's house that I need to get and go through as well.

supreme windowpane macintosh. regretted selling my old one. great coat.
black jeans from walmart lol
red wing super sole boots
leather jacket
denim jacket
balaclava my mom knit me
beketh nexehmu sweatshirt
camber sweatshirt
silk hawaiian shirt
beams plus blazer
printed polyester shirt big collar. bought from someone on here thanks!
white sox hat
uniqlo u selvedge jeans
ll bean fair isle sweater
wool pants
black uniqlo parka
jungle jacket

lot of stuff ':0)

a schott nylon perfecto from japan that was too small. Also a beams corduroy patchwork blazer that I really like but I will get 0.5 opportunities a year to wear. might just start rocking it with a t shirt. also a mutiilation shirt that was too small

Think I already addressed this somewhat. been dressing more "generic metal bro" which feels good. I think I dress less preppy now but certain people disagree. I like the dark americana/ bootleg visvim look for 2022

I like wearing band shirts and shorts. Also boots. I got these red wings fucking dialed in. I wore grey sweatshirts a ton

rain jackets. don't really have one I like anymore. should buy a new one. I wore boots way more than I thought I would. tie dye shirts. I'm gonna bring them back this summer though.

I need to get rid of clothes. I'll keep buying band shirts. I want to get a nicer pair of black jeans but then again the walmart ones work well and also cost 15 dollars. hate supporting walmart. Need to get stuff from my parents house. I should buy another pair of shorts and a black rain jacket. I like the dark americana/ bootleg visvim look for 2022. gonna buy iron rangers

album of fit pics from this year in chronological order
Spoiler:
prob my fav fit of the year
I will never put my sword down
Julio
First Prestige
First Prestige

Post by Julio »

probably not so great. spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to best deal with all my derailed plans (hello global pandemic) and dealing with the associated emotional turmoil, but little pockets of joy occurred nonetheless. helped style a friend for three music videos over a week-long locked in shoot, felt like a much needed change of pace + i was cast in a fight scene (honestly surreal and exhausting plus banged myself up a bit, but it was fun). i'm barely visible in the final result but still!
also learned how to redacted (is this how people talk about it on here?) and i've been enjoying just riding around, it's probably the only way i really get exercise as i haven't been as willing to go for runs lately. going to save up for a redacted halfway through this year (more on that later).
ah, also i helped a friend design a pair of shoes for an adidas collaboration. but technically we worked on that december 2020, just took forever to release etc.
ngl i wish the rather active role i played in applying his art to the shoes was mentioned a bit more, but i also understand that it's ultimately his shoe and for adidas marketing + collaterals that's what they need to focus on. i digress.

just a touch more than planned, but i also did a fair bit of trading so that inflates the general feeling. it gets difficult to keep track because i hunt for good deals (it's a coping mechanism, i acknowledge this) and only purchasing things below a certain threshold (to this day i still haven't spent more than $200 on a single article of clothing, and in general never actually go beyond $150) so if everything i'm buying is v cheap it all feels like a blur.
most purchases were maybe $10 or less?

1. nonnative ss18 trooper boots
2. grey ganryu trousers, usual pattern in a sort of dickies type twill (three different poly cotton ratios depending on which part of pant?) but with a drawstring waist and military style waist adjusters that make for a sort of paperbag effect. huge back pockets with button closures. nice.
3. a beams ripstop suit
4. some tees from niko and... & global work
5. hoka one one hopara; nimbus cloud & white colorway.
6. some slim junya levis with a huge crotch gusset that i've been after for several years, got them for a ridiculously low price brand new. maybe wish they were a size up but they're also still very, very raw
7. not a buy, but my friend gave me a carhartt x brain dead chore coat and i've used it a lot as it's so packable and is a swooshy synthetic with those plastic snaps that only i seem to love
8. also traded out some eg norwegian pants for a ridiculously low rise pair of junya sashiko denims from ss15, i love them but lament that they're dry clean only. the back pockets are extremely thick, supple leather so i understand

this year i didn't take many fit pics

not a buy, but traded some junya skinnies that were too short for a pair of number (n)ine skinnies, which are honestly just maybe too skinny overall for where i'm at, or maybe the inseams needed to be longer? they really only work with the aforementioned nonnative boots, otherwise i just struggle. maybe will give them to a friend?
also bought some ivory kapital ringoman denims in a 4/XL, and they just didn't fit me how i'd have liked. needed to be worn higher on waist than i preferred + inseam was shorter than i was hoping. so i sold them to a friend for the same price i got them.

and to focus less on buying — look back on your styling in 2021.
fluctuated:
very loose and slouchy (huge tees, big deep rise pants) often with some vague activewear hits (i still like y-3)
sometimes wore big sweatpants with coach jacket
other times just wore a lot of junya when i needed to feel put-together and grown up
and other times wore the casual suits (beams and nonnative ones) when i was lazy but wanted kind of neat
surprised at how often i wore black shoes this year (spectus shoe co + nonnative)
so i guess i had a mood slider

honestly, slim & low-rise pants. boxy tees as usual. sometimes together.

some of my sarouel pants. especially the sasquatchfabrix selvedge ones. or the aforementioned grey ganryus.

cloudy and uncertain, i guess this whole pandemic's taken its toll on me tbh. but i impulsively bought a three week long ticket to thailand (it was very, very cheap), from mid may until first week of june. here's hoping that trip pushes through. maybe i can find some work while i'm out there and just end up living out of my backpack (unlikely).

which reminds me, i've been eyeing a specific 45L pack for said trip. i'll see if it's still around when the trip's come closer.
bels
First Prestige
First Prestige

Post by bels »

Did we literally forget to do this in 2022