bags

clothes
thewisdomoftime

Re: bags

Post by thewisdomoftime »

the major swim bags are really swagless and it makes sense -- you're 8 to 18 years old and your mom keeps that tremendous bag in her trunk, drives you to swim practice, you plop it down poolside, you (even though you're a kid) never forget anything by virtue of indiscriminate largebagkeeping.

I have basically unrelated priorities and I don't have a car. I walk a very solid amount in the city (like 8k steps avg even on days without walks or crazy work trips somewhere) and I'm an adult who needs to have a vertical line side profile for my own self-image; I just don't want my beautiful, svelte backpack to get smelly. I don't mind doing bag tetris in the night or morning.

I think I'll just end up with something like Julio helpfully suggested: a hiking bag with a mesh compartment. I just need a mesh compartment big enough for cap and goggies too. Will prolly prowl for vintage patagonia because that's my outdoor brand allegiance. It's funny though cos I don't hike, never hiked, will not hike ... hiking bags are just shaped like prettier rectangular prisms.
'I feel like I'm a messenger .. sent here by someone .. my mom, probably.'
funyuns

Post by funyuns »

thewisdomoftime wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 4:14 am Seeking recommendations for a dream bag:
a backpack with (1.) good straps, (2.) medium volume [WAY more than a tote, less than the weekender gym bags people bizarrely sometimes use], (3.) a mesh compartment for my swim suit among other swim stuff, (4.) a non-mesh compartment for books, work papers, and miscellany

I think the normal market answer would be get a big fat TYR or speedo bag like all yearround and college swimmers have. I gave mine up a long time ago. The main problems with that idea are (1.) form factor: those sit droopy and round and away from the body like a great backpack, and (2.) I didn’t swim for a college so I don’t have a proudly embroidered college logo. I don’t really know why swimmers are able to love those bags, they actually get smelly from your personal towel and your suit, that’s what I’m trying to escape, my big rectangular REI bag I’ve been using for gym & swim is doing its best but has a wet suit in it for easily 1hr per day average
wouldnt most outdoor oriented backpacks fit this criteria? like a cayl gaya pack or something? i took a similar pack to go soak in some hot springs recently and i just stuff the wet swimsuit and towel in the mesh. the pack has a pu lining too so it helps keep your stuff dry inside
thewisdomoftime

Post by thewisdomoftime »

funyuns wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 5:32 pm wouldnt most outdoor oriented backpacks fit this criteria? like a cayl gaya pack or something? i took a similar pack to go soak in some hot springs recently and i just stuff the wet swimsuit and towel in the mesh. the pack has a pu lining too so it helps keep your stuff dry inside
Yeah. That's what I was looking for.

Here's my build:
1. cap and goggles to one side
2. speedo to th'other
3. sandals in the middle {supermajority of swimming injuries come from slipping on the deck}

daughter cam:
'I feel like I'm a messenger .. sent here by someone .. my mom, probably.'
freddy

Post by freddy »

I recently had to pay a premium for a BNWT Belstaff 556 bag from Malenotti era bag that is not longer made in the past ways. Made in Italy with buffalo leather. The smaller version of the popular 554 bag as worn by Will Smith in I am Legend. I had to sell my old one because it of worn-out holes years ago pre-COVID.

10 years ago