Small Favours In High Doses, The Mountain Goats

Off topic

Small Favours In High Doses, The Mountain Goats

Postby bels » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:00 am

From Wikipedia:

The mountain goat (Oreamnos americanus), also known as the Rocky Mountain goat, is a large-hoofed mammal found only in North America. Despite its vernacular name, it is not a member of Capra, the genus that includes the wild goat, Capra aegagrus, from which the domestic goat is derived. A subalpine to alpine species, it is a sure-footed climber commonly seen on cliffs and ice.

Interview with someone called John Darnielle about Goats:

Modern Farmer: Thanks for taking the time to talk. I understand you get an interview request from a farming magazine, you’re probably wondering, ‘What the hell?’

John Darnielle: Yeah, quite often people are like, ‘Hey, where’s the picture of John with the goat’ or whatever. I haven’t really done that a lot, because you don’t want that to always be the thing. But at the same time, I named the band because I love goats. And I’m an animal person.

MF: So why’d you name your band The Mountain Goats?

JD: It’s from this Screamin’ Jay Hawkins song called “Big Yellow Coat,” which is one of those old blues numbers where the singer exaggerates everything about himself to a comic degree. He has this yellow coat that he’s describing: ‘Fifty million bulldogs, twenty mountain goats, all gathered ’round at sundown, to see my yellow coat.’ There’s something in the elocution of mountain goats, the way rhythmically the words came out, it sounded really cool.

‘If you look at North American mountain goats, they’re giant, splendid creatures. There’s something really spiritual about way they look. It’s really deep. You can look at them for a long time.’
Also, this is back when I’m like 23 and I’m living alone in a tiny apartment. And I start looking around in books and find out these are creatures that can climb rock walls almost vertically. I’ve been to Crete [Greece] and seen the Cretan ones, and they can climb these walls and they can cling to the walls like they’re spiders. But also, every year, many of them die from misjudging a gap that they think they can jump, and then down they plunge. And I thought, ‘Well this is hubris.’ I’m the the master of climbing and jumping and I can do whatever I want, but I really can’t do whatever I want.

Also, if you look at North American mountain goats, they’re giant, splendid creatures. There’s something really spiritual about the way they look. It’s really deep. You can look at them for a long time.

MF: Mountain goats have a reputation for violence. There was a guy gored to death in Olympic National Park last year.

JD: That was one animal. People get very excited about that. But when a wild animal behaves like a wild animal, I’m always shocked that anyone is surprised. You are a hominid in their realm, in the woods where it’s not really set up for hominids to be traipsing along in brightly colored clothes and cameras. I don’t think they’re really aggressive, so much as they’re always gonna be weirded out that creatures that have never been in their domain are suddenly there.

MF: You wrote a book about Black Sabbath’s ‘Master of Reality.‘ Why do you think goats get featured so often in both metal and Satanic imagery?

JD: Heavy metal takes that tradition from Satanist and I wanna say, maybe, Kabbalistic traditions. The goat in mythology, initially, is sacrificed. You have the old Biblical sacrifice. The community murders a goat in expiation for some wrong or another. So if you’re going up against that ideology, than you would champion the thing that got killed for no reason, which is why Satanism and anti-Christian people — which a lot of heavy metal is anti-Christian — would say, ‘Hey, we’re pro-goat.’ And I side with the metal people, [who say] animal sacrifice is nonsense.

Also there’s so much about goats — and this is stuff people who do mythology and Jungian stuff could talk about this better than me — but the nature of goat eyes is very different from other creature’s eyes. There’s something both identifiable and alien about it. They’re not directly in front of their head or on the side. They’re sorta this weird angle, so they look like they’re both predator and prey.

And they have horns, which, again, in traditional mythology and superstition horns can mean so many weird things. Horns are demonic. So there’s a lot. If you worked in myth traditions there’s a lot in there.

MF: Going through your discography, it doesn’t seem like you’ve ever written a song about goats?

JD: No, no. I mean — it’s just the band name. And it’s kinda interesting to me, that we’re talking about the animal. I don’t think people ask Deerhoof all the time about deer or about their hooves. They get off scot-free. From the minute I named this band, everyone was like, ‘Mountain Goats? Oh my God!’ And animal names in rock bands are so common. I mean, the Beatles.

But for whatever reason there is an expectation in the case of the Mountain Goats that there must be so many goat references. I did put a put a drawing of a goat on the first tape, which I didn’t really expect anyone to to ever hear, so I drew something cool for me. But we try not to depend on it, or be overcute. We want to be funny. We don’t have a logo. It would be too cutesy a way to go. ‘Here’s your goat, because we’re the Mountain Goats!’

MF: It’s a little too on the nose.

JD: At the same time, we’ve been at it for so long. I think about five years ago, I would have turned down an interview about goats. But you know, I read your email, and I thought, ‘Why the hell not?’ And in fact, in the past couple of years we’ve been wondering if it’s time to a do a t-shirt with a goat on it.

MF: So that’s an exclusive. The Mountain Goats are considering a t-shirt with a goat on it.

JD: It would be camp, but not too camp. It might be time. I mean, the other thing is when you tour, the people that do posters are hired by the clubs and they give you a few posters and then sell their own. It’s a way the clubs can make a little extra money. It’s one of the hidden cool things about touring, is that you show up, and go ‘Oh, my God, there’s this cool poster and there’s only 20 in existence, and I get to keep two of them.’

But those almost always have goats on them! Unless we send out advance notice, ‘Just because we’re called the Mountain Goats doesn’t mean we want a goat,’ the first thing people think, ‘I know, I’ll put a goat on it!’

MF: Maybe just feature a mountain, avoid the goats.

JD: Exactly. But the thing is, I actually think it’s because everyone loves goats as much as I do, and they just aren’t really in touch with it. And the second they get the opportunity to somehow imagine putting a goat on something, then they go for it, because people want to think about goats, because goats are badass.

MF: After Goat Week, I think we entirely agree.

JD: I’m just speaking from my heart.

MF: You’re preaching to the choir here. Have you ever considered owning a goat?

JD: I would love to. People owning goats in the city — for me, I would want to be on a farm, and I don’t know if at this point in my life if we ever will live on a farm. If we do, then I would want goats. Not many, because if you have a whole bunch of goats then that’s real work. It’s what you should be doing with your time. And right now, I’m gone for long stretches of time when I tour. It’s not a goat-herding lifestyle. If you’re herding goats, you stay with your goats. I wouldn’t want to say, ‘Hey, come take care of these goats,’ and try figure out what the minimum care you can give them. That’s not my style.

Though, back when pygmy goats were a trend, I was hanging out with pygmy goats and I was like, ‘Oh, give me one.’

But I’m a big animal person, and I believe if you are going have an animal then you are committed to taking the best care you can. I wouldn’t get one unless I could be there for them all the time.

MF: Final question: would the best ever death metal band out of Denton have featured goats on their merch, had they ever gone on tour or made it big?

JD: So — the goat head, you see in Satanic imagery, is called a Baphomet, and it is super classic Satanic image that sits on the circular grid, and there’s probably a lot say about in relation to numerological stuff. It’s so common on the cover every black metal record. And as drum head design, it’s almost as common as the world ‘Pearl.’ It’s a thing.

So, it’s hard to say, because this band, we just don’t know enough about them. Are they a band that’s trying to buck against a trend, or they just adopting a style of music that they like?

Though, I mean, I would think of them as logo guys. They would be spray can dudes who would want their name on their stuff more than a picture. But I don’t know for sure.

MF: It’s hard to say — it’s something to leave up to the listener. Cool, well, thanks for taking the time to talk.

JD: Sure. What’s the name of the magazine again?

MF: We’re called Modern Farmer.

JD: I thought it was Modern Goat! And I was so excited. ‘Modern Goat! This is an awesome magazine title.’

MF: Modern Goat is probably our next magazine. After this one works out, we start going really niche.

JD: Oh wow, I’m looking on the website. You have a lot about goats on here!

MF: Yeah, so this whole thing, we just did Goat Week, like a whole week of nothing but goats. It’s like Shark Week, but with goats. And you are now the grand finale.

JD: That’s pretty excellent.

Early Mountain Goats:

I often think of this John Darnielle quote w/r/t cows (Him and his wife are vegetarian):

You’ve never seen anything like the cows, because most cows are not allowed to get any older than two before they are slaughtered. Even if they are dairy cattle, they're being kept in a state of constant lactation. Much less, being pumped with chemicals and being forced to lactate more than you ever would naturally. These giant cows live to be 10 to 20 years old with these long tails and as big as buses! The cows that you have seen are just kids, and their tails are docked in captivity because they go crazy in the pens and start biting each other’s tails. It’s a pretty eye-opening place to visit.

Classic Mountain Goats:

"Going to Bolivia"
This is kind of an unlikely candidate for a character song, but that is kind of why it has always held a special place for me. You come into the story already lacking pretty much any information that might be helpful in understanding what's going on, and a short while later you'll leave the song in more or less the same condition. That's because the speaker is either a little crazy or is so deeply into his own trip that he can't imagine everybody else doesn't already know the basics. And, actually, we run into people like this all the time, right?

We work with them, run into them at bus stops, they're pretty much the gold standard for your online random encounter. Sometimes you'll get a voicemail from a stranger who dialed the wrong number --- that's the speaker in this song. He comes correct with plenty of physical detail, which would be useful in figuring out why he's getting bad chills from the stuff that's going on around him; if he'd only explain what his position in the whole thing is. He won't, though. As close as he gets is the "chrome/home" rhyme interrupted by the "sun" off-rhyme, and then we get the sense that he's been isolated for a little while. Why am I partial to this dude? Because sometimes I get the feeling that I *am* this dude.

Modern Mountain Goats:

Assorted MTNGTS flintstone:

bels
Yung Winona

Re: Small Favours In High Doses, The Mountain Goats

Postby deadkitty » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:28 am

The Alpha Couple song cycle (in chronological order):

disclaimer: this is probably wrong

Chino Love Song 1979
One Winter at Point Alpha Privative
Alphabetizing
Alpha Incipiens
Alpha in Tauris
Alpha Aquae
Going to Jamaica
Alpha Gelida
Star Dusting
Tallahasse
First Few Desperate Hours
Ethiopians
Southwood Plantation Road
Game Shows Touch Our Lives
The House That Dripped Blood
Fit Alpha Vi
Idylls of the King
Alpha Sunhat
New Chevrolet in Flames
No Children
See America Right
Peacocks
International Small Arms Trafficker Blues
Have to Explode
Old College Try
Oceanographer's Choice
Alpha Double Negative: Going to Catalina
Alpha Negative
Spilling Towards Alpha
Omega Blaster
Alpha Omega
Letter from Alpha Motel
Design Your Own Container Garden
Standard Bitter Love Song #8
Revenge
Alpha Desperation March
Orange Ball of Peace
Alpha Rats Nest

here's a (partial) spotify playlist I made. sorry it's not in order, spotify won't let me change the order

space
master
deadkitty

Postby bels » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:26 pm

On repeat lately. It's meant to be about Billy The Kid

bels
Yung Winona

Postby zayg » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:27 pm

this band defines "cool band i enjoy listening to when people like my ex girlfriend would play them but im overwhelmed by the massive discography and will probably never dive in" for me

zayg

Postby Bobbin.Threadbare » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:58 pm

These guys are amazing. When I heard No Children for the first time I played it non stop for weeks. I even ruined a date by making them really *listen* to the words.

But it's fine because it was my housemate's date and he should have known not to bring her home during Monday Drinking Club.

Bobbin.Threadbare

Postby UnwashedMolasses » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:21 pm

For fans of No Children, I'd recommend you watch this episode of Moral Orel, titled "Numb". Easily the best needle drop I've seen in television. The whole episode's worth a watch to really get the full impact, but the song only plays at the beginning and end. If you only want the relevant bits, read the context in the spoiler, then skip to 8:59:

Spoiler:
Moral Orel is the title character of the show, an upstanding churchgoing boy trying to figure out life and son to two parents who've gone so far past hating each other they feel nothing anymore - hence the episode's title. In the previous episode Orel's alcoholic father takes him on a hunting trip, drinks, and shoots him. This episode features Orel's mother masturbating with an increasingly horrific array of power tools to feel something and almost having an affair with her doctor, who gets off on her descriptions and the visual representation of her pain.

[vimeo]http://www.vimeo.com/71946732[/vimeo]

UnwashedMolasses

Postby UnwashedMolasses » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:27 pm

John Darnielle's 100 Reasons Why "Ignition - Remix" Is So Damned Great (from 11 years ago)

http://www.ilxor.com/ILX/ThreadSelected ... adid=18110

UnwashedMolasses

Postby bels » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:31 am

nice no children cover

bels
Yung Winona

Postby hmwut » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:31 pm

Sprinting Toward Epiphany: Talking With A Songwriter Turned Novelist

http://www.npr.org/2014/09/14/347995670 ... d-novelist

another interview re: his new book

http://electricliterature.com/interview ... white-van/

hmwut

Postby coolteen49 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:34 pm

Pre-Tallahassee mountain goats or post-Tallahassee mountain goats?

coolteen49

Postby deadkitty » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:59 am

pre-tallahassee for me. at the risk of sounding pretentious , i think overproduction and a very clean "studio" sound doesn't suit john darnielle at all. although his work with john vanderslice has been fantastic

space
master
deadkitty

Postby bels » Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:10 pm

NOTES ON IMAGINARY EXTANT, LOST, DELETED, AND UNRECORDED TRACKS WRITTEN, PERFORMED, RECORDED FOR OR DURING THE PERIOD OF TIME IN THE LIFE OF JOHN DARNIELLE THAT WOULD PRODUCE “ALL HAIL WEST TEXAS” NOT INCLUDED IN THIS COLLECTION BECAUSE THEY ARE ALL IMAGINARY

1. A Warrior of Jarella (3:16)

John Darnielle (“Dar-NYEEELehhhh”)* was born in Bloomington, Indiana (“Bloomington: The Other Bloomington”). This son of the Midwest moved around much as a child before settling in California (“The Golden State,” “Fucking California”). This record is thematically “into” movement and Texas (“The Lone Star State”). West Texas. Not West, Texas, which is a real place, but western Texas, maybe representative of a certain state of mind? It’s vast and expansive and maybe better than this. After Jarella died, Hulk went completely shithouse for a whole issue. Recorded live to Panasonic RX-FT 500.

*not actually how it’s pronounced —ed.

2. Ron Santo Will Rise Again and Have Revenge, Bloody Revenge, on Cooperstown (1:14)

Some of the places in Texas that have appeared in Mountain Goats songs include Brownsville, Denton, Toyahvale, Austin, Houston, and, of course, Lubbock. Dallas, too, right in the title of this album’s closing track. This is a band that is heavily into restless searching. Ron Santo, Randy Hundley, Glenn Beckert, Don Kessinger, and Ernie Banks — Chicago Cubs all — played together on the NL All Star Team in 1969. Five Cubs. Can you imagine? Performed live in parking lot of Ziggy’s, Winston-Salem, NC and recorded live to HI-8 camcorder.

3. Mountain Ghosts (4:04)

Darnielle, about whose upbringing has been written about extensively by others as well as by Darnielle himself, started releasing work as “the Mountain Goats” in 1991 (“The Year Punk Broke”) while attending Pitzer College (“Provida Futuri”). Across the next three years five more boombox tapes like TEXAS would follow. 1994 saw the first Mountain Goats “studio”** recording, ZOPILOTE MACHINE. In 2010 a mountain goat gored a hiker to death in Olympic National Park outside of Seattle. The collective noun of “mountain goats” is ‘trip’. A trip of mountain goats. Sung without accompaniment by Darnielle while driving to grocery store, Ames, Iowa.

**loosely defined here as “any room with a guitar in it” —ed.

4. What If We Called It “Bitcoin” (3:00) (approx.)

This track, weirdly prescient and specific, came from Darnielle’s ill-advised “krautfolk” phase. Darnielle worked in psychiatric hospitals as a nurse. His time in the employ of those hospitals would influence not only Darnielle’s lyrics but also his 2008 novella MASTER OF REALITY. Darnielle is pretty heavily into metal. In 2010 Hate Eternal/Morbid Angel guitarist Eric Rutan would record four Mountain Goats songs, so, you know: thatheavily. Mountain goats are herbivores; so is Darnielle. Performed in men’s room of Burt’s Tiki Lounge, Salt Lake City, UT and later on-stage.

5. Going to Jack Parsons’ Lab (2:48)

The volume of songs released between 1991 and 2001, on cassettes, LPs, EPs, 7” singles, and various other formats, number more than 200 across 20-some releases that, to the best of my ability to ascertain such things, have seen the light of day. Lots of Mountain Goats songs are about going places, not just in Texas. Kansas, East Rutherford, Lebanon, Hungary, Palestine… somebody made a Google Map of ‘them all. Seriously, Google it. What happens if you Google “Google”? Time to find out. Performed as a prank to some guy’s voicemail, New Year’s Eve party, 2001.

6. A Debt to Asclepius (2:03)

Sometimes there were songs about the doomed “Alpha” couple. These songs sometimes had the word “Alpha” in the title. There are no songs with the word “Alpha” on ALL HAIL WEST TEXAS. In 2002 the Mountain Goats released two hang-‘em-in-the-rafters great, all-time, goddamn masterpieces: TALLAHASSEE and ALL HAIL WEST TEXAS. TALLAHASSEE would be a studio effort, his first with longtime collaborator Peter Hughes, amongst others, and would be, more or less, an album about the obliteration of the Alpha couple. Recorded onto wax cylinders “liberated” from the Edison Museum, on the road from West Orange, NJ.

7. Song for Old Dummy Hoy (2:51)

ALL HAIL WEST TEXAS is the apotheosis of Darnielle’s boombox tapes in a lot of ways; the quality of the songs themselves musically and lyrically are stellar and the entire thing is framed by Texas geography as thematic device and the RX-FT 500 is in fine, droning, form and tone throughout. So two albums in the same years both, more or less, concept albums. TEXAS sees many Mountain Goat lyrical leitmotifs drawn into crystal focus: survivors, the doomed, the aforementioned restless travelers, houses, the beaten down, the lovers searching for geographic cures, Satan. You are going to meet Cyrus and Jeff on this record. Oh! Oh. Oh you have no idea. Omitted for two reasons, both that it was the second baseball-themed track and Darnielle’s well-documented fallout with the Society for American Baseball Research. Recorded at Paisley Park, Minneapolis, MN, 6/7/02.

8. Electric Eliminators Making Soho Streets Run Red (2:59)

Subsequent Mountain Goat releases include but are not limited to WE SHALL ALL BE HEALED, THE SUNSET TREE, BLACK PEAR TREE (with Kaki King), GET LONELY, SATANIC MESSIAH, TRANSCENDENTAL YOUTH… the writing and releasing has yet to relent; the Mountain Goats produce at a velocity like Kiss in their prime. This song would transmute forms and be resurrected as “High Hawk Season” on 2011’s ALL ETERNALS DECK. Recorded to 7” for inclusion in time capsule, Horace Mann Middle School, Burlington, IA, before the fire.

9. Baron Karza Begets (Song for Dave) 17:04

Lyrically, this song appeared to be a list, with no order or organization, of whatever Micronauts (“The Interchangeable World of the Micronauts”) that Darnielle could recall at the time in a John Cage-ian test of listener endurance. The Mountain Goats core lineup is John Darnielle, Peter Hughes, and master skins-basher Jon Wurster on drums. Sometimes they have company. Sometimes not. In 2013, Darnielle and Hughes will tour as a duo. Danzig took the SAMHAIN logo from an old CRYSTAR comic book cover by Michael Golden who used to draw MICRONAUTS too. Recorded on those long, like, scrolls of paper that robot pianos in the old west used to play PLAYER PIANOS that’s what they’re called OK recorded to Player Piano scroll and let’s sayyyyy… lost in a car fire, Alamogordo, NM.

10. Hope Clouds Observation (2:22)

I was supposed to meet John Darnielle after the first time I got to see the Mountain Goats perform live; before the show I was nervous so I let the man and the band eat in peace. After the show I felt unwell — like, really unwell. I was shivering. Turns out I had swine flu. What if you went on your favorite band’s tour bus and gave them all swine flu. Swine flu killed my uncle a long time ago. It didn’t kill me. And I have yet to meet John Darnielle. I don’t have to: we already know each other. I was Jeff. My Cyrus was named Jay and he died in 2009. My star high school running back was named Peyton, and it was coke, not acid. This tape is my life. This tape is your life. Guess what? We survived it this long. All hail West Texas. Recorded with ink and needle into human skin, forever, and with gratitude, endless gratitude, Anytown, USA.

—Matt Fraction

Portland, OR

This tape is my life. This tape is your life. Guess what? We survived it this long. All hail West Texas.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby bels » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:20 am

bels
Yung Winona

Postby bels » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:20 am

http://www.npr.org/2015/03/29/395108044 ... t=20150329

New Album stream for the thirsty.

There's more about the album over here, on Merge's site. The vinyl comes with a download code because that is the natural order of things, seriously everybody needs to get with the program on this. On the last night of tracking we did a not-like-the-others song called "Blood Capsules"; it's been pressed onto red vinyl 12" at 45 rpm and is backed with "Dub Capsules," Scott Solter's full dub treatment of the A-side, reassembled entirely from sounds originating on that A-side, bearing almost no resemblance to its source. It costs a little extra to get the deluxe edition with the 12", because the powers of industry have repeatedly declined my requests to press up my records for free. There'll be a handful of deluxe-edition copies at retail and in Europe, but if you think you want it, I'd recommend the pre-order. All copies of the deluxe LP are gold and green vinyl until we run out --- gold for the championship belt, green for the payout LA wrestlers got when they took home the Beat the Champ title. All that glory. All that shine. Nameless bodies in unremembered rooms. Some people might be thinking to themselves, JD, wrestling, I don't know, I've never really been into wrestling, but did I steer you wrong with the Bible album, even though you may not have been super-into the Bible? Fear not. In a world of false promises and hollow gimmicks, please rest assured that the old maxim still holds true, whether scrawled on the back of a claim check or carved into a bench in an abandoned locker room: you can't trust much, but you can trust the Mountain Goats.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby chadnik » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:43 pm

new tour poster is :eek:

chadnik

Postby iralanwitnuk » Mon May 29, 2017 10:41 pm

Been getting into this group heavily these past few weeks. I really enjoy the timbre of Darnielle's voice-- the sort of amateur-ish, raw sound he achieves with wavering urgency in his delivery makes his projects much more authentic. His more recent stuff is a lot more well-produced and polished, but I like how he still largely holds on to the same sound. In the same vein, I've really liked The Sunset Tree, mostly because of the softer and subdued tracks.. Goths had some peeks to the same classic sound, but I enjoyed it otherwise. I listened to an interview where John said he sat on experiences for years, letting them "marinate", before writing them into song lyrics. And also about how John wrote poetry for a while before he started the Mountain Goats, which you can hear in his lyricism. Real shame that i couldn't go when they played in birmingham the other day :(

"Let's all buy Birkenstocks and go hug some trees"
iralanwitnuk

Postby bels » Tue May 30, 2017 6:20 am

Seeing them when they come to that that London later in the year. Goths is a great album. The latest book isn't quite as great as the previous book but is still decent.

Here's the livestream release:

bels
Yung Winona

Postby rjbman » Tue May 30, 2017 12:30 pm

John Darnielle, the lead singer, also writes books! I've read both Wolf in White Van and Universal Harvester. Would recommend Wolf, but Universal didn't really do it for me.

"Let's be vagabonds." - Yohji Yamamoto
rjbman

Postby BIGBEE » Tue May 30, 2017 2:06 pm

Wow maybe I should revisit the mountain goats if he has improved the production quality. My friend showed me some mountain goats way back in highschool and the super lofi recording really turned me off. Will give the goths album a shot

BIGBEE

Postby popcorn » Wed May 31, 2017 10:28 am

The way people talk about The Mountain Goats mirrors Guided By Voices really closely, and also Modest Mouse except that MM's lo-fi phase (see: This is a Long Drive) is actually very different in song-writing from what they'd do later (ascending into the year 2000 (or 04, I guess) and then promptly leaping off a bit of a cliff).

I've only heard like 2 songs from All Hail West Texas, but lo-fi production is a major turn-on for me. All the best Guided By Voices albums were recorded on a 4-track, so I guess AHWT is just a logical progression then.

popcorn

Postby coolteen49 » Wed May 31, 2017 1:49 pm

I saw them when they came through dallas last week and they were unbelievably good. They played for over two hours easily, and the encore was almost as long as the actual set. John even played a few tracks off Full Force Galesburg during the solo intermission!

coolteen49

Postby bels » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:33 am

https://archive.org/details/tmg2017-06- ... anter.flac first live recording i've heard playing new album stuff (and just a great live set in general, good banter)

bels
Yung Winona

Postby wrong » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:42 pm

wrong

Postby bels » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:25 am

Night Vale Presents’ second nonfiction project can perhaps be described as a take on the music documentary, though that description might not be enough. I Only Listen to the Mountain Goats is set to be a deep dive into the sonic world of the beloved American indie folk band. Hosted by lead singer John Darnielle and Night Vale co-creator Joseph Fink, the first season will explore the band’s sixth album*, All Hail West Texas, with each episode training its focus on a different song on the record, with Darnielle and Fink in conversation about songwriting, storytelling, and current events. (Each episode will also feature a cover version of the song in question, performed by artists like Sylvan Esso, Andrew Bird, and Amanda Palmer.) I Only Listen to the Mountain Goats appears to be less of a music documentary and more a companion guide, and it seems ripe to challenge the way we think about what’s possible with the music-podcast genre.

Conversations is scheduled to launch on July 31. The first season will run for ten episodes, released weekly. I Only Listen to the Mountain Goats is set to roll out sometime in the fall, but the actual date remains unspecified.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby sick boy » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:28 pm

i get some old school country vibes from both

sick boy

Postby Dingdongfootball » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:03 pm

I've played guitar for eight or nine years but over the past one or two years I've been trying to teach myself to sing along with it. I think I've definitely made some progress with my voice. The thing is though, I literally only play and sing Mountain Goats songs. Honestly, that's all I've learned in the past two years. I must know like 30 or 40 now. They're actually really good if you're learning to play and sing since most of the chords and chord progressions are easy. Vocals can get pretty hard on some of them (John Darnielle actually has a pretty crazy range) but the majority are easy and fun for a beginner. Also, since a lot of them are already solo acoustic, they don't sound boring when you play them by yourself. Also, I just really like The Mountain Goats.

Also also it's fun to hear your own voice when it sounds good! Good to have something to put some energy and focus into as well of course. Here's me trying to sing a bonus track from one of my favorite Mountain Goats albums, Get Lonely. Of course, this isn't like a capital C Cover or whatever. I'm just trying train my voice and follow the melody. I know how much of the Mountain Goats love is about Darnielle's distinctive voice and all and of course my version will be missing that. Anyway I hope you like (smiling)))

Spoiler:
Here's the obviously much better original recording

Dingdongfootball

Postby rjbman » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:19 pm

bels wrote:
Night Vale Presents’ second nonfiction project can perhaps be described as a take on the music documentary, though that description might not be enough. I Only Listen to the Mountain Goats is set to be a deep dive into the sonic world of the beloved American indie folk band. Hosted by lead singer John Darnielle and Night Vale co-creator Joseph Fink, the first season will explore the band’s sixth album*, All Hail West Texas, with each episode training its focus on a different song on the record, with Darnielle and Fink in conversation about songwriting, storytelling, and current events. (Each episode will also feature a cover version of the song in question, performed by artists like Sylvan Esso, Andrew Bird, and Amanda Palmer.) I Only Listen to the Mountain Goats appears to be less of a music documentary and more a companion guide, and it seems ripe to challenge the way we think about what’s possible with the music-podcast genre.

Conversations is scheduled to launch on July 31. The first season will run for ten episodes, released weekly. I Only Listen to the Mountain Goats is set to roll out sometime in the fall, but the actual date remains unspecified.

Quite enjoyed these - they digressed most of the time away from the song but I could listen to John ramble for ages. Most of the covers were excellent too, really tempted to get a vinyl player just to play them all the time.

unrelated content:

rjbman

Postby rjbman » Tue May 08, 2018 2:57 pm

NOTES ON IMAGINARY EXTANT, LOST, DELETED, AND UNRECORDED TRACKS WRITTEN, PERFORMED, RECORDED FOR OR DURING THE PERIOD OF TIME IN THE LIFE OF JOHN DARNIELLE THAT WOULD PRODUCE “ALL HAIL WEST TEXAS” NOT INCLUDED IN THIS COLLECTION BECAUSE THEY ARE ALL IMAGINARY

1. A Warrior of Jarella (3:16)

John Darnielle (“Dar-NYEEELehhhh”)* was born in Bloomington, Indiana (“Bloomington: The Other Bloomington”). This son of the Midwest moved around much as a child before settling in California (“The Golden State,” “Fucking California”). This record is thematically “into” movement and Texas (“The Lone Star State”). West Texas. Not West, Texas, which is a real place, but western Texas, maybe representative of a certain state of mind? It’s vast and expansive and maybe better than this. After Jarella died, Hulk went completely shithouse for a whole issue. Recorded live to Panasonic RX-FT 500.

*not actually how it’s pronounced –ed.

2. Ron Santo Will Rise Again and Have Revenge, Bloody Revenge, on Cooperstown (1:14)

Some of the places in Texas that have appeared in Mountain Goats songs include Brownsville, Denton, Toyahvale, Austin, Houston, and, of course, Lubbock. Dallas, too, right in the title of this album’s closing track. This is a band that is heavily into restless searching. Ron Santo, Randy Hundley, Glenn Beckert, Don Kessinger, and Ernie Banks – Chicago Cubs all – played together on the NL All Star Team in 1969. Five Cubs. Can you imagine? Performed live in parking lot of Ziggy’s, Winston-Salem, NC and recorded live to HI-8 camcorder.

3. Mountain Ghosts (4:04)

Darnielle, about whose upbringing has been written about extensively by others as well as by Darnielle himself, started releasing work as “the Mountain Goats” in 1991 (“The Year Punk Broke”) while attending Pitzer College (“Provida Futuri”). Across the next three years five more boombox tapes like TEXAS would follow. 1994 saw the first Mountain Goats “studio”** recording, ZOPILOTE MACHINE. In 2010 a mountain goat gored a hiker to death in Olympic National Park outside of Seattle. The collective noun of “mountain goats” is ‘trip’. A trip of mountain goats. Sung without accompaniment by Darnielle while driving to grocery store, Ames, Iowa.

**loosely defined here as “any room with a guitar in it” –ed.

4. What If We Called It “Bitcoin” (3:00) (approx.)

This track, weirdly prescient and specific, came from Darnielle’s ill-advised “krautfolk” phase. Darnielle worked in psychiatric hospitals as a nurse. His time in the employ of those hospitals would influence not only Darnielle’s lyrics but also his 2008 novella MASTER OF REALITY. Darnielle is pretty heavily into metal. In 2010 Hate Eternal/Morbid Angel guitarist Eric Rutan would record four Mountain Goats songs, so, you know: thatheavily. Mountain goats are herbivores; so is Darnielle. Performed in men’s room of Burt’s Tiki Lounge, Salt Lake City, UT and later on-stage.

5. Going to Jack Parsons’ Lab (2:48)

The volume of songs released between 1991 and 2001, on cassettes, LPs, EPs, 7" singles, and various other formats, number more than 200 across 20-some releases that, to the best of my ability to ascertain such things, have seen the light of day. Lots of Mountain Goats songs are about going places, not just in Texas. Kansas, East Rutherford, Lebanon, Hungary, Palestine… somebody made a Google Map of 'them all. Seriously, Google it. What happens if you Google “Google”? Time to find out. Performed as a prank to some guy’s voicemail, New Year’s Eve party, 2001.

6. A Debt to Asclepius (2:03)

Sometimes there were songs about the doomed “Alpha” couple. These songs sometimes had the word “Alpha” in the title. There are no songs with the word “Alpha” on ALL HAIL WEST TEXAS. In 2002 the Mountain Goats released two hang-'em-in-the-rafters great, all-time, goddamn masterpieces: TALLAHASSEE and ALL HAIL WEST TEXAS. TALLAHASSEE would be a studio effort, his first with longtime collaborator Peter Hughes, amongst others, and would be, more or less, an album about the obliteration of the Alpha couple. Recorded onto wax cylinders “liberated” from the Edison Museum, on the road from West Orange, NJ.

7. Song for Old Dummy Hoy (2:51)

ALL HAIL WEST TEXAS is the apotheosis of Darnielle’s boombox tapes in a lot of ways; the quality of the songs themselves musically and lyrically are stellar and the entire thing is framed by Texas geography as thematic device and the RX-FT 500 is in fine, droning, form and tone throughout. So two albums in the same years both, more or less, concept albums. TEXAS sees many Mountain Goat lyrical leitmotifs drawn into crystal focus: survivors, the doomed, the aforementioned restless travelers, houses, the beaten down, the lovers searching for geographic cures, Satan. You are going to meet Cyrus and Jeff on this record. Oh! Oh. Oh you have no idea. Omitted for two reasons, both that it was the second baseball-themed track and Darnielle’s well-documented fallout with the Society for American Baseball Research. Recorded at Paisley Park, Minneapolis, MN, 6/7/02.

8. Electric Eliminators Making Soho Streets Run Red (2:59)

Subsequent Mountain Goat releases include but are not limited to WE SHALL ALL BE HEALED, THE SUNSET TREE, BLACK PEAR TREE (with Kaki King), GET LONELY, SATANIC MESSIAH, TRANSCENDENTAL YOUTH… the writing and releasing has yet to relent; the Mountain Goats produce at a velocity like Kiss in their prime. This song would transmute forms and be resurrected as “High Hawk Season” on 2011’s ALL ETERNALS DECK. Recorded to 7" for inclusion in time capsule, Horace Mann Middle School, Burlington, IA, before the fire.

9. Baron Karza Begets (Song for Dave) 17:04

Lyrically, this song appeared to be a list, with no order or organization, of whatever Micronauts (“The Interchangeable World of the Micronauts”) that Darnielle could recall at the time in a John Cage-ian test of listener endurance. The Mountain Goats core lineup is John Darnielle, Peter Hughes, and master skins-basher Jon Wurster on drums. Sometimes they have company. Sometimes not. In 2013, Darnielle and Hughes will tour as a duo. Danzig took the SAMHAIN logo from an old CRYSTAR comic book cover by Michael Golden who used to draw MICRONAUTS too. Recorded on those long, like, scrolls of paper that robot pianos in the old west used to play PLAYER PIANOS that’s what they’re called OK recorded to Player Piano scroll and let’s sayyyyy… lost in a car fire, Alamogordo, NM.

10. Hope Clouds Observation (2:22)

I was supposed to meet John Darnielle after the first time I got to see the Mountain Goats perform live; before the show I was nervous so I let the man and the band eat in peace. After the show I felt unwell – like, really unwell. I was shivering. Turns out I had swine flu. What if you went on your favorite band’s tour bus and gave them all swine flu. Swine flu killed my uncle a long time ago. It didn’t kill me. And I have yet to meet John Darnielle. I don’t have to: we already know each other. I was Jeff. My Cyrus was named Jay and he died in 2009. My star high school running back was named Peyton, and it was coke, not acid. This tape is my life. This tape is your life. Guess what? We survived it this long. All hail West Texas. Recorded with ink and needle into human skin, forever, and with gratitude, endless gratitude, Anytown, USA.

rjbman

Postby rjbman » Wed May 09, 2018 11:47 am

evidently this was posted several years prior

my apologies to bela, and any other people who actually read the mountain goats thread

rjbman

Postby rjbman » Tue May 07, 2019 1:19 am

how're folks enjoying IN LEAGUE WITH DRAGONS? honestly such a wonderful album, best new one since I've started listening round Beat the Champ

saw them perform in boston with @jrisk - as usual, lots of huge hits i never knew about that i got to experience (like Sax Rohmer #1)

top songs (to change w/ further listens):
* Possum By Night
* Going Invisible 2
* Sicilian Crest

rjbman

Return to Care