The Price Of Quitting The Game

Clothes

Re: The Price Of Quitting The Game

Postby maj » Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:04 pm

tbh every time google photos shows me one of my old fits from years ago im just reminded my looks went hard as fuck.

Major General Hayley "Hacks" Dunning (Viscount Windsor) aka peak angry nerd (VERY hot)
maj

Postby Imfake » Mon May 25, 2020 2:50 am

Mostly quit the game after harboring a shit ton of outerwear and realizing that I only wear 1 outfit outside of the normal weekday. Only thing I buy now are dress pants / dress shirts but that is more of a necessity than me wanting to experiment, enjoy it, etc.

Still enjoy just looking and lusting clothes but can never justify buying them at all. I had my eye on a variety of jewelry and leather jackets but can never pull the trigger even though I can 100% afford it. It will never get the wear it deserves..

Imfake

Postby bels » Mon May 25, 2020 7:29 am

The two questions:

How did we ever sustain the imagination required to present some idealised version of personhood?

Now that we can't, is this what we wanted?

bels
Yung Winona

Postby quitter » Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:57 pm

maj wrote:this thread started in 2013

below is a list of posters who have disappeared from our shores, quit the game:

[...] quitter

there are a few people not on the list who don't post, either i have confirmation they're still buying, or, sorry, yall didn't have enough posts/ rep for me to remember you. if you see anyone on this list who you know is still buying, please publicly call them out, we will retract their medal.

there are many people still posting from the start of the thread till now, myself included, and if i'm to go off my personal experience it's just a failure of self at this point

shout out to the people who escaped, lets hope some more of you can before 2030

i'm still buying shit sorry bro

ig @buzzpresto
quitter

Postby rjbman » Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:19 pm

the key is to move to a small outdoorsy town where patagonia is the peak of style & just spend money on bikes & snowboard gear instead

Spoiler:
don't actually do this you'll spend far more on bikes

"Let's be vagabonds." - Yohji Yamamoto
rjbman

Postby rjbman » Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:49 pm

welp fuck NMWA archive sale got me

"Let's be vagabonds." - Yohji Yamamoto
rjbman

Postby Imfake » Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:57 pm

I loved this time During COVID-19, I have been buying a ton more (~30% of my annual spending) and need to cut this down by at least half next year.

I got some jewelry (rings, necklaces) and have finally had to chance to dress how I wanted. If I could do this forever, I believe I can quit but of course can't unless I get out of my industry. Eyeing a leather jackets still and may purchase one in the near future.

Also, in in my mid 20s, is everyone around that age? Feel like when I'm in my 30s+ I would have nearly everything. This also assumes my body doesn't change

Imfake

Postby griffin » Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:58 pm

lol

griffin

Postby p3rn » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:08 pm

I’ve been planning a nocop for Q1 2021 for a while now. this has been propelled by a number of reasons but primarily:
  • I left my fashion-job in November (and left my generous discount with it). Shortly after I handed in my resignation a friend told me “wow, you’re gonna spend so much more on clothes now” and I said “are you kidding me? I’m gonna spend so much less.” Being in a space where you’re constantly surrounded by and thinking about clothes (not just clothes but new clothes! the latest clothes!) and can get them at a hefty discount really makes it easy to CONSUME. Now that I have some distance it feels like time for a cleanse
  • In 2020 I spent a lot on things. Let’s be real: there wasn’t much else to spend money on. I like the things I bought but I need some time to enjoy them rather than focusing on the next thing.
  • My job change came with a sizeable salary bump which I do not want to impact my spending habits (a friend of mine told me that when she got a raise her aim was always to allow herself the full (new) salary the first month and then to go back to her previous budget and put all the surplus in savings. I try to abide by this as well). I don’t ever want to live in such a way where the only reason not to consume is because of financial constraint. This is an exercise in that.
I made my final purchase yesterday morning; a very beautiful skirt suit off vestiaire collective. So now I want to outline the rules, mostly for myself so I have something to look back on.
  • No clothing, shoes, accessories, nothing. however, taking things to the tailor is allowed AND encouraged! the point is to love the things I currently own more and ensuring they fit perfectly is a great way to accomplish that. of course it may very well be Q2 before my tailor is allowed to open again
  • No new beauty products. I’m only allowed to replace things I run out of (though I restocked recently so I shouldn’t really need new face wash or anything like that)
  • No new home goods except as replacements (e.g. candles, but I need to use up the candle before I replace it)
  • No new kitchen supplies if I can avoid it. There will always be something I “need” but it can wait, I’m sure. I’ve been using an immersion blender in place of a regular one for years; no point in changing that now.
  • No books unless I cannot find it on libby
  • I’m torn on art supplies. I’ll allow myself new paper but no new instruments, I think
  • I’ll allow myself a large electronics purchase (e.g. laptop) if I deem it necessary. electronics are really, really not an issue for me. I just recently replaced my iPhone after 6 years. when I buy something in this area it’s usually because it’s actually needed
  • Buying nice groceries/food is fine! I’m allowed a nice loaf of bread or fancy kimchi.
This nocop is not about denying myself pleasure; it’s not meant to be punishment! It’s simply a way to reorient myself away from a steady state of consumption and towards a state of appreciating what I have and creating things. I want to bake and run and paint and work on my zine and devote time to enjoying those things. I also want to wear the clothing I already have and think about how great all of it is.

A couple days ago I started looking for new sheets to buy and then when I realised I was just a bit frustrated with my room I went and hung some posters I framed a while back and now I feel nice about my bed space! that’s the energy I’m trying to bring into the start of 2021.

p3rn

Postby p3rn » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:34 am

getting the money back but not being able to spend it on something to console myself. just another one of god's little tests.

p3rn

Previous

Return to Tags