The Actual Future

Off topic

The Actual Future

Postby bels » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:29 am

Please talk about the actual future here, no 90s retrofuturistic cyberpunk visions allowed. Save those for the playground in between Ofsted chat

bels
Yung Winona

Re: The Actual Future

Postby bels » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:34 am

I've always found the Docker (technology that underpins much of the current internet) logo extremely disturbing:

The logo is a Whale carrying a stack of containers. It is on its way to deliver those to you.

https://blog.docker.com/1989/06/announc ... ker-style/

The fusion of a blue whale (an endangered species) and shipping containers (emblematic of integrated supply chains that drive global consumerism, and presumably contribute to the endangered status of much ocean life) into some kind of horrible cyborg. As though the only way we could allow the whales to thrive would be for them to perform this duty for us, though of course they wouldn't be as suited to it as the megaships that we currently allow. The fact that the whale seems to be smiling seems even worse. Smiling.. as he delivers containers to me.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby can- » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:23 pm

can-

Postby Cowboy » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:17 pm

Cowboy

Postby smiles » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:18 pm

草地跑過的腳印
smiles

Postby smiles » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:23 pm

草地跑過的腳印
smiles

Postby deadkitty » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:15 pm

FACELESS the film

SYNOPSIS: In a society under the reformed 'Real-Time' Calendar, without history nor future, everybody is faceless. A woman panics when she wakes up one day with a face. With the help of the Spectral Children she slowly finds out more about the lost power and history of the human face and begins the search for its future.

Made under the Manifesto for CCTV Filmmakers
Under UK data protection law, individuals have the right to gain access to personal data contained in computer filing systems - CCTV footage can be retrieved for a nominal fee. Laws about protection of 3rd parties also exists - hence blurring out of faces creates a faceless world

space
master
deadkitty

Postby bels » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:48 am

https://spectrum.ieee.org/view-from-the ... cial-media

Said Roger McNamee, co-founder and managing director of venture capital firm Elevation Partners: “These companies began with a goal of connecting the world. But once they put a business model in place that depended on advertising, they had to put in techniques that depended on creating addiction. Then when the smart phone came along, it created an opportunity to create a level of brain hacking that had never previously been seen.”

bels
Yung Winona

Postby odradek » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:46 pm

quick glimpse

odradek

Postby vgtbls » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:24 am

https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/28/167 ... ts-ai-help

The company says the program has been trained on posts and messages flagged by human users in the past, and looks for telltale signs, like comments asking users “are you ok?” or “can I help?” The technology also examines live streams, identifying parts of a video that have more than the usual number of comments, reactions, or user reports.

Because vulnerable people love being watched and scrutinized

vgtbls

Postby rjbman » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:10 pm

Ignored By Big Telecom, Detroit's Marginalized Communities Are Building Their Own Internet

Nucera is part of a growing cohort of Detroiters who have started a grassroots movement to close that gap, by building the internet themselves. It’s a coalition of community members and multiple Detroit nonprofits. They’re starting with three underserved neighborhoods, installing high speed internet that beams shared gigabit connections from an antenna on top of the tallest building on the street, and into the homes of people who have long gone without. They call it the Equitable Internet Initiative.

A mesh network spontaneously erupts in the US and helps connect Puerto Rico

Barranquitas is a small town located in the mountainous center of the island, where lacking telecommunications the people were getting information around the old-fashioned way: walking. “The parish has this organic network of communication,” said Malavé. But a handful of goTenna devices in strategic locations made it so that, for instance, instead of walking 40 minutes to the hospital to ask for medical aid, a person could walk 3 minutes to the church, where they could send a message to the hospital instantly.

So far the volunteer group has a bunch of devices around San Juan and is working with a few smaller communities to set up small networks like the one in Barranquitas. They’ve also set up endpoints at places where connectivity can be relied on — a working satellite connection that can send text messages (the Mesh can act as an SMS gateway, sending texts coming from locations where there’s no signal) or connect to web tool APIs like Twitter’s. Like Perdomo says, it’s not Netflix, but in the aftermath of a storm, Netflix is pretty low on the list of priorities.

Local networking / mesh networking is starting to fill in failure points of big corporate ISPs. Good that folks are finally getting (re)connected, but horrific that it needed to happen in the first place

"Let's be vagabonds." - Yohji Yamamoto
rjbman

Postby bels » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:24 am

n order to make video essays on the Internet, we had to learn the basics of copyright law. In America, there’s a provision called fair use; if you meet four criteria, you can argue in court that you made reasonable use of copyrighted material.
But as always, there’s a difference between what the law says and how the law is implemented. You could make a video that meets the criteria for fair use, but YouTube could still take it down because of their internal system (Copyright ID) which analyzes and detects copyrighted material.
So I learned to edit my way around that system.
Nearly every stylistic decision you see about the channel — the length of the clips, the number of examples, which studios’ films we chose, the way narration and clip audio weave together, the reordering and flipping of shots, the remixing of 5.1 audio, the rhythm and pacing of the overall video — all of that was reverse-engineered from YouTube’s Copyright ID.

What I find somewhat disturbing about the proliferation of even (relatively) normal kids videos is the impossibility of determining the degree of automation which is at work here; how to parse out the gap between human and machine. The example above, from a channel called Bounce Patrol Kids, with almost two million subscribers, show this effect in action. It posts professionally produced videos, with dedicated human actors, at the rate of about one per week.

The future will consist in people trying to interpret what an algorithm wants, and then trying to do that thing for profit.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby vgtbls » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:00 am

vgtbls

Postby bels » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:56 am

The actual future will involve algorithms coercing you into relationships that are great for targeted ads.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby vgtbls » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:42 am

it's funny

vgtbls

Postby oucho » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:59 pm

Does anyone know anything about Youtube's playlist algorithm? I find that the first time I listen to a song it creates a playlist with lots of other songs by the same artist, as I go back to the same music video again and again the playlist starts to direct me in different directions until none of the songs in the playlist are by the musician from the original video. I normally only subconsciously notice this because I have youtube minimised and I'm doing something else. But for some reason the playlist always seems to end up at King Krule. I keep on having moments where I'm like 'wait, what am I listening to? I don't want to listen to this', I go back to youtube and it's always king krule.

oucho

Location:          ⃝     ⃝              ⃝     ⃝              ⃝      ⃝            ⃝          ⃝    ⃝

Postby hmwut » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:14 pm

hmwut

Postby hmwut » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:27 pm

hmwut

Postby parastexis » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:49 am

crypto markets are basically the wild west of today. god the future is boring.

parastexis

Postby rjbman » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:27 pm

in the actual future, poorly made self driving cars run over pedestrians their sensors should have caught while their safety drivers are on their phones instead of watching the road

WARNING DEATH
http://www.thedrive.com/opinion/19504/disgraceful-dashcam-video-proves-uber-is-the-theranos-of-self-driving

Last edited by rjbman on Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: clarified not all self driving cars are shitty at driving
"Let's be vagabonds." - Yohji Yamamoto
rjbman

Postby bels » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:32 am

bels
Yung Winona

Postby bels » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:17 am

This is the aesthetic for the actual future.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby bels » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:53 am

kabar tactical spork

bels
Yung Winona

Return to Care