Random Rhetorical Hypebeast Fashion Thoughts

Clothes

Re: Random Rhetorical Hypebeast Fashion Thoughts

Postby bels » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:17 am

I kind of really want to buy some of those uniqlo airism shirt collar polos. Would go great with my IT core blousons + active lifestyle.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby JewTurk » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:00 pm

Any of you all have depop stores that you really enjoy/frequent?

JewTurk

Postby ramdomthought » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:38 pm

the imogene and willie pants i bought that felt huge a few years ago almost feel too slim

is this what it's like to get old

this post was last edited: today

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
my old signature only had 85000 views
ramdomthought

Postby fun_yunchables » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:43 pm

fun_yunchables wrote:2017: "lmao thrasher what a poser do u even skate"
2018: "lmao carhartt what a poser do u even build"
2019: ?? ("lmao vineyard vines what a poser can u even threaten to sue/is ur daddy even a lawyer")

i'm going to take this back and say 2019 trend is going to be appropriating fishing attire i'm seeing bell shaped bucket hats and fishing vests comin thru with lots of nylon webbing love on the side. what a poser do u even fish

coolest lame guy u'll ever meet
fun_yunchables

Postby Julio » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:30 am

^south2west8 becoming less niche?

feels like it's already happening

Julio

Postby sagc » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:10 am

I'm not sure that s2w8 makes sense beyond their tote bags and tees. I'm a big fan, but I don't think their outerwear, for example, is ever going to be easy to find.

Of course, I just ordered a Article. No.9 tote, so I'm certainly encouraging it.

sagc

Postby weqe » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:16 am

will other workwear brands do a wip type deal or just take cooler product shots

[{[*#~&< /BLEH |BLEH| BLEH\ >&~#*]}]
weqe

Postby kickingthefly » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:43 am

had an email exchange w helmut lang last week

kickingthefly

Postby nope » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:11 am

nope

Postby mc-lunar » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:34 am

bought some cav empt pants and i don't think the guy is going to ship them

but at some level i feel like i should have expected this. its in the damn name

mc-lunar

Postby norman » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:53 pm

catching up on 6 pages of this thread has left me feeling withered and tired

everything i post is a joke
norman

Postby smiles » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:52 pm

I ate some squash grown in helmut lang's garden last weekend - pretty sure that's cooler/tastier.

草地跑過的腳印
smiles

Postby sknss » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:42 am

Helmut Land told me his secret cold brew recipe

sknss
2015 Summer Camp Participant

Postby coolteen49 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:50 pm

coolteen49

Postby Iliam » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:49 am

friday

Iliam

Postby vice » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:35 pm

inadvertently bought the worst colorway for the vans x engineered garments drop smh

vice

Postby popcorn » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:35 am

fit pictures are too easy... they need to be activated. at least dive in your fit or something

popcorn

Postby jpag » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:12 pm

After patiently waiting I finally got my shoes like pottery in the mail, purchased for a cool $60 from ebay.

They look even better in real life but...
...they are both right shoes.

Can I wear them anyways and call it fashion

update:

lol

jpag

Postby kremvax » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:56 pm

kremvax

Postby Julio » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:18 am

wondering where people are at when dealing with knee pleats/darts
such as:
Spoiler:

(this only applies to double pleat/dart setups + for brevity i will refer to darts/pleats as d/p)

do you have it such that when you're standing your knee is dead center of the four d/p?
or do you have it so that your knee is lined up/closer to the upper d/p?

i personally do the latter. my logic is that when i flex or bend my knee a good amount the pant comes up a bit and thus my knee is sitting dead center of the d/p setup when i am squatting, or skipping steps, or bringing my knees higher than i have any reason to.

what about you guys

Julio

Postby fun_yunchables » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:20 pm

do you think it's vapid to be invested in fashion w/o diving into the relevant social/economic/environmental issues? i guess this sort of falls under the larger umbrella of "are clothes merely just clothes, or vehicles for discussion" types of questions...

interested in hearing peoples thoughts

as a sorta related aside i'm grateful forums still exist that extend the discussion beyond the "nice fit follow me back" comments on instagram

fun_yunchables

Postby Eddie » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:03 am

fun_yunchables wrote:do you think it's vapid to be invested in fashion w/o diving into the relevant social/economic/environmental issues? i guess this sort of falls under the larger umbrella of "are clothes merely just clothes, or vehicles for discussion" types of questions...

as a sorta related aside i'm grateful forums still exist that extend the discussion beyond the "nice fit follow me back" comments on instagram

I personally don't see how u can separate it frm those accompanying forces but I am far down the rabbit hole. Clothes even purely as objects exist/interact within a cultural landscape, + they have their own lineage/meaning. When someone first becomes interested and says 'I just want to dress better' they are gesturing at those sorts of implicit connections that clothes carry with them. Whether or not others actually want to engage with clothes that way is on them..but that meaning is built in.

Eddie

Postby weqe » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:31 pm

best way to deal with the ethical quandries of fashion consumption is just only buying used, get a nice clean sidestep around any kind of moral turmoil

[{[*#~&< /BLEH |BLEH| BLEH\ >&~#*]}]
weqe

Postby bels » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:57 am

Ah but if you look dope do you not then encourage others to consume?

bels
Yung Winona

Postby tomsfood » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:16 pm

clothes bad

tomsfood
Look Arena Champion

Postby Julio » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:50 am

weqe wrote:best way to deal with the ethical quandries of fashion consumption is just only buying used, get a nice clean sidestep around any kind of moral turmoil

buying used is definitely a more ethical standpoint for sure, as (not at all to demean buying used) bottom-feeders are integral to cleaning an ecosystem, so to speak?

my only thing is that there's a lot about buying used that can be questionable; especially when dealing with thrift shops. i don't know what it's like in other countries, but here in the philippines i find myself wondering where exactly the clothes i'm digging through come from. i hear they're sometimes intended to be relief goods (and that in and of itself raises an eyebrow), and making jokes about how you're wearing something that was stolen or someone died in isn't unheard of if you've found especially good things (i've found some ridiculous things and i am not alone, no lie).

what i mean is, buying used is still a grey area, isn't it? i don't think you're totally absolved from the moral questions that're involved with consumption. there's so much i don't know about the supply chain: are thrift store employees paid at least minimum wage? do they get cuts from sales? when i negotiate the price down am i cutting into someone else's salary? where do the clothes come from? were they really supposed to end up where they are?

and if you're buying used direct from the first owner

well. you're still connected to the chain, really. you're only so far away from the ~*cycle of capitalism*~ and chances are the person selling is selling to buy something else brand new from somewhere else (that's been me, and that's been people i've bought from).

i could also talk about what seems to be a locally isolated phenomenon of "thrift shop gentrification" and a sudden explosion of thrift shop diggers who resell items they find, either via instagram or facebook. if they're shooting to sell internationally they'll go straight to grailed. that's a strange and new variable in the world of thrifting here, but those same sellers are either cycling used items around or using their profit to buy brand new items.

tl;dr i think there's ultimately a lot more to it than just a sidestep if you buy used

edit: sorry ended up rambling

Julio

Postby 106-2 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:11 am

fun_yunchables wrote:do you think it's vapid to be invested in fashion w/o diving into the relevant social/economic/environmental issues? i guess this sort of falls under the larger umbrella of "are clothes merely just clothes, or vehicles for discussion" types of questions...

I don't think you can be, or are, in control of whether what you wear is perceived as linked to/informed by external factors. the trend towards more detail orientated fits (less focus on bold graphics/patterns, often more utilitarian) could just be seen as someone not aware of the shift as someone dressing like 'an old man', in the same way I see plenty of oblivious-seeming old men at work wearing some properly tidy stuff. We read into it what we can from our perspective - we might be seen as vapid irl but well-versed online, depending on who's 'reading'.

It's the same with the middle-class 'graphic designer' crowd who are not suddenly really into 'football culture' now that there are more 'designed' football publications (eg. mundial, caricom) and places to buy old tops (fuckin @b2bheritage) which confer more authenticity than just picking them up from ebay. They're trying to engage with a culture they don't necessarily have roots in to try and grab some of the positive social aspects (socioeconomic i guess if you take into account the projected working-classness) but from the perspective of someone who's grown up within that culture and feels the need to check the way I engage with it for fear of coming across like a wanker, their effort seem pretty transparently surface-level. I'm sure I come across that way too to plenty of football fans less concerned with why they support their team, and it'd be reductive to presume that none of these guys had previous interest in the game but again that's the way I read the situation.

I like to feel informed about what I wear and why for myself, so I don't feel vapid for wearing what I wear. I think doing that for anyone outside of yourself is a really pointless task.

106-2

Postby fun_yunchables » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:47 pm

some good discussion, thanks!

i bring up this topic after seeing a video of a white supremacist wearing FUBU shoes

There is obviously a disconnect between the wearer’s beliefs and what I believe to be an inherent nature to the shoes being from FUBU. One can certainly argue that as a purely functional object, the shoes carry no social message. I’m more in the camp of seeing objects transcending functionalism and possessing an imbued ‘soul.’ So from my perspective, vapidness definitely exists for those who refuse to engage in clothes outside of surface aesthetics (not to say vapidness is good or bad, everyone has a different goal in fashion and style).

fun_yunchables

Postby CheerUpBrokeBoy » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:17 pm

reminds me of when new balance expressed support for trump after the election – in reality the move was purely mercenary, as NB was hoping to become the official trainer of the military after being snubbed by the obama administration, but because of NB's cultural reputation as the quintessential "dad sneaker" and all the connotations of whiteness that come with that it became a popular shoe in certain right-wing circles

but honestly anyone that would seriously argue that clothes can be removed from cultural/social/political/economic context just hasn't thought too hard about it. ask anyone if white people should wear dashikis, or look at all the guys that want to wear bandanas in their pockets until they learn what that means as code in some gay subcultures (or as flag-hanging among certain gangs)

CheerUpBrokeBoy

Postby INNIT » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:54 pm

Julio wrote:my only thing is that there's a lot about buying used that can be questionable; especially when dealing with thrift shops. i don't know what it's like in other countries, but here in the philippines i find myself wondering where exactly the clothes i'm digging through come from. i hear they're sometimes intended to be relief goods (and that in and of itself raises an eyebrow), and making jokes about how you're wearing something that was stolen or someone died in isn't unheard of if you've found especially good things (i've found some ridiculous things and i am not alone, no lie).

i used to work in thrift shops. what happens in the larger chains is that a majority of donated clothing gets compacted into 1k lbs bales and sent to developing nations. these bales often contain clothes that are wet/dirty/mouldy so im sure they're festering waste piles by the time they arrive. they also inhibit nations from properly developing their own textile industries.

the result: rich western nations get to avoid using their own landfills by dumping their waste into other countries.

thrift stores ultimately reproduce consumerism by creating the illusion that our waste is being re-used or recycled. larger thrift stores are basically waste processing plants that fill up the landfills of other nations and call that "recycling".

at the largest thrift store that i worked at, we processed 40k lbs of clothing daily, and about 2k lbs of that hit the shelves.

but yeah, i still buy most of my clothes from thrift stores. i'm just conscious that the inventory i'm sorting through required thousands of pounds of waste to be produced.

Last edited by INNIT on Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
INNIT

PreviousNext

Return to Tags